• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

MercuryLS

Banned
I am pretty shocked at how well the voice dictation is working. I never tried Siri much before but on this I'm actually using it to write entire posts and send messages and emails. I occasionally have to edit a small part but mostly it is getting things very accurately

Yeah it works very well.

railGUN

Banned
Posting from my Touchpad right now, letting the iPad charge a bit, I don't notice any difference in the white / temperature between the two... Maybe the TP is also warmer, I don't know - but holy shit can I notice the difference in text quality. The browser speed / scrolling is also noticeably slower and janky, compared to the iPad. Color me impressed with the iPad, it is superior in every way.

-Winnie-

New iPad owner here! :D
This thing is very lovely.

Couple of questions:
1. Is a screen protector necessary?
2. Smart cover, or some third party case?
3. Any good apps I should know about?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
New iPad owner here! :D
This thing is very lovely.

Couple of questions:
1. Is a screen protector necessary?
2. Smart cover, or some third party case?
3. Any good apps I should know about?

No screen protector, just take care of your shit.

I really like my smart cover.

Carcassonne is the be all end all of games for the ipad.

Alex

I'm starting to regret my purchase. With an iPhone 4S, Kindle 4 and a MBA I don't really need a tablet in my life.

Is anyone else feeling the same? I do however love the hardware.

I can see that But I actually got rid of my Kindle when I got the iPad as I prefer reading on it, especially now. Never had a laptop except for the clunky Ibms we have for work.

I considered getting a normal laptop instead of a tablet but considering I would not be doing much work on it and things like long battery life and reading were important features to me. This was a pretty logical way to go

And now I can talk to myself with voice dictation and come across as only mildly insane. That is a win-win situation my friend

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My ipad is my favorite device I own. I do almost all my web browsing on it when at home, and the last week without it made me realize how much I really used it.

PaulLFC

Are there any posts with lists of essential or very good iPad-optimised apps for new owners? iPad Retina or 'normal' iPad, both are fine.

Alex

Man. Even when making the text as small as possible on instapaper, it is crystal clear. I fucking love this thing.

Yeah that is the major point thus far. Websites especially ones with small text are incredibly more readable. I've actually just been getting rid of a lot of my web apps and store apps because they have reduced features and I don't need them anymore with this new screen

This thing has become more comfortable to browse on than my computer almost altogether

Vyer

What's the best way to host screenshots from the ipad? I hear imgur compresses things really badly.

Anyone?

Also, dat battery life. I unwrapped at 5:30 my time, it's 10:50 now. It had 92% charge out of the box. I've been playing with it pretty regularly since, browsing, downloading apps, playing with iphoto and such, and even watching some video. I even rented an HD video from itunes and it downloaded. The only thing I haven't done is games yet. Currently at 45%.

LCfiner

What would be good to read comics with? I have comic zeal for the iPhone, has anyone use this on the iPad?

I was going to say bookman, but comic glass just updated with retina display support. I did some side by side (well, 4 finger swiping) between the same comic file hosted on dropbox between the bookman and comic glass windows and the comic glass one was noticeably sharper. it hadn’t been processed down.

comic zeal will also process files to make them smaller. i would not use it right now unless someone has compared it with comic glass and can say its just as sharp. (i may do this tomorrow)

so yeah, I’d say comic glass for now until other apps update for the new display (and it may just be good enough to use full time, honestly)

border

Does the new iPad take a SIM card if you want to use it for cellular data?

Would it be possible to just pop in a SIM from a prepaid service, or a sim from your AT&T phone?

I'm starting to regret my purchase. With an iPhone 4S, Kindle 4 and a MBA I don't really need a tablet in my life.

Is anyone else feeling the same? I do however love the hardware.

Yeah, and the screen issue isn't helping. Gonna give it the weekend to decide if I'm getting a refund. As awesome as the resolution is, I still prefer reading books on e-ink. Videos look great on this though.

border

Hahaha, god no.

It doesn't take a SIM card at all, or you can't use it with a phone-related SIM?

Because this is Apple we are talking about, that is why it is funny.

What does Apple have to do with it? This is a product not sold on contract, so I'm not sure why it would be locked to a particular carrier. Even if it is, why couldn't I just buy a prepaid AT&T GoPhone SIM, load some data onto it, and use it in the iPad? That works for the iPhone.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't feel like searching through this whole thread for this answer, but why doesn't my iPad charge via my PC or laptop? Is that something new for this one?

LCfiner

I really don't feel like searching through this whole thread for this answer, but why doesn't my iPad charge via my PC or laptop? Is that something new for this one?

it has a bigger battery than the 11” macbook air. you need some serious power to charge it. use the wall charger.

A new case is going back:

http://www.case-mate.com/The-new-iPad-Cases-iPad-3/Case-Mate-The-new-iPad-Textured-Tuxedo-Case.asp

the way it's designed, it uses an adhesive area to secure the iPad to the back of the case. The iPad is quite secure, but the problem is when the iPad is in landscape and using the rolled up smart cover front, the back of the case bends under the weight of the iPad itself. Left in this position for a few hours, the iPad begins to top over to fall on its back.

I do not recommend this case to anyone because of this.

Zeth

Whipped this up in iPhoto, taken with 4S. This is so fun.

VSVul.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if the iPad was a good investment. Just today, the screen, home button and power button became unresponsive while using Safari. I had to press on Home and Power Button at the same time to reset it.

Piggus

Quick but important smart cover tip:

Put a thin piece of clear tape on the edge of the iPad where the smart cover makes contact. The smart cover can easily scratch up the edge of the iPad over time if any small pieces of magnetic sand/iron filings get on the magnets. The filings embed into the smart cover's plastic edge and chew the iPad's finish off within days.

I took my iPad on a trip to the coast and even though I never brought it onto the beach, the cover picked up a lot of "black sand" (fine magnetic iron-rich sand) and that was that. Thankfully Apple replaced the iPad and my bookstore replaced the smart cover. Since then I've used the tape trick and although the new smart cover has a couple small pieces of black sand stuck on it, it can't do damage to the iPad.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

bs1P9.jpg

Circle T

it has a bigger battery than the 11” macbook air. you need some serious power to charge it. use the wall charger.

Strangely enough, while syncing this morning on my 11" Air, it WAS charging it. Not very fast, mind you, but in the ~30 mins it took to restore/sync, it went from 85% to 87%. So, it will do it, but so slowly that it isn't worth it.

So this sky gamblers game looks fucking amazing. Been a while since I've been impressed graphically by something. Didn't expect these kinds of graphics on an iPad.

Sean

Banned
Does anyone know if the Dropbox iOS app decreases quality of the photos?

I'm trying to find an easy way to get wallpapers from my Mac to my iPad without syncing, but they end up looking like absolute shit on the iPad display. These are high-res wallpapers too..

Top Bottom