• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Is there any way to separately align a background per screen rotation?

I wish.

Just been playing with this thing, love it. Definitely not seeing any yellow tint, also not I seeing it if I tilt the screen, it is an IPS display so major color shift at differ angles shouldn't happen. Holding my 4s, with secondapps/neogaf up on both, right next to it they are almost identical.

hyp

I'm starting to regret my purchase. With an iPhone 4S, Kindle 4 and a MBA I don't really need a tablet in my life.

Is anyone else feeling the same? I do however love the hardware.

use it enough and it becomes part of your life. i love mine and use it more than any computing device i own.

Zeth

it has a bigger battery than the 11” macbook air. you need some serious power to charge it. use the wall charger.

Was actually curious so I did some quick and dirty research. Looks like it's actually 2x as big as the 13" air. Am I doing it wrong? In milliamp-hours (mAh)-

New ipad: ~11,500
13" Air: ~6,600
Original iPad: ~6,600
11" Air : ~4,600

LCfiner

Was actually curious so I did some quick and dirty research. Looks like it's actually 2x as big as the 13" air. Am I doing it wrong? In milliamp-hours (mAh)-

New ipad: ~11,500
13" Air: ~6,600
Original iPad: ~6,600
11" Air : ~4,600

I just went with the rated wHr specs for each battery from Apple’s site.

11” air - 35

ipad - 43

13” air - 50

dwebo

Ugh, I switched over to iTunes home sharing since I wasn't sure when the dlna app I was using would be updated (and of course it works fine without an update, some blurry art notwithstanding), and it is such a piece of crap. No idea why streaming takes so much longer to start up even over 5ghz N, in addition to occasionally pegging the server pc's admittedly slow cpu at 100% while windows media player can stream via dlna all day with hardly any cpu usage. Whatever - iTunes sucks, and I already knew that.

Screen is pretty awesome, though I haven't found it as mind-blowing as I expected, at least for video playback. These are 1080p high bitrate rips I made from some blurays, so it isn't the source material. And obviously it does look a lot better than the ipad2, especially compared side-by-side. It just feels like I need to put the screen closer to my face than I otherwise would or is comfortable just to get satisfactory benefit from the resolution upgrade, if that makes any sense. At the end of the day, it's still a small 4:3 screen and it won't replace watching stuff on an HDTV, or even probably my computer monitor. Maybe I was stupid in thinking it might, at least with the latter, but display size wins out over pixel density for me. Or maybe I need to upgrade my glasses prescription. The fucking sky-high expectations were my own fault, as always.

Text looks phenomenal, at least.
But I have a kindle for long reading.

Oh, and it gets kinda warm, at least compared to the ipad2 which stayed cool to the touch after playing the same videos. That can't be good for battery longevity.

MicH

Got the new iPad today. Went into the Apple Store at at 12:30 pm, got a nunber and waited for about 15 min. Very nice experience.

Does anyone know if the Dropbox iOS app decreases quality of the photos?

I'm trying to find an easy way to get wallpapers from my Mac to my iPad without syncing, but they end up looking like absolute shit on the iPad display. These are high-res wallpapers too..
It really sucks. I Tried to do the same but I eventually used iPhoto with photo stream to wirelessly sync the photos between my Mac and ipad

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Anybody using Atomic Browser? It is super stuttery when scrolling for me, wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Writing this post with voice dictation right now on my iPad. I'm really enjoying this thing. Should my grandfather earlier today who has an iPad one and I may have convinced him to pick one up when he gets back from his next trip. i'm really amazed how well this thing works. Just typed out this entire paragraph no mistakes.

Do you guys know of a good affordable case for the new iPad? I don't want my mom to buy a cheap one knowing that one is going to be ineffective.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Anyone else find jetpack joyride to look.. wrong?

Can't put my finger on it, it just doesn't like right.

subrock

Just played with the thing for what seemed like about an hour, still at 100% battery. I said gat damn.

Ordered a back protector and I'll grab a smart cover tomorrow, also considering a crumpled sleeve for travel times

hyp

that 1GB ram has made the iPad 3 feel much snappier or something. been using my 2 all day and the 3 feels like a new experience. *hugs my baby*

madmook

Oh my god text is so crisp! And mine doesn't seem to have much of a yellow push. Browsing is much "crisper" than on my iPad 1. I am motherfuckin' satisfied.

LCfiner

So I'm already used to the new screen. Not having the old iPad next to me for a comparison isnt helping. My comparison is the iPhone and that has looked great for 2 years now.

I need to go out of my way and load up on older iPad app with low res, static text and images to remember how it used to look.

I think waiting for the iPad 3 was a good choice for me. I really don't see any slowdowns browsing so far using the mockup site. Looking forward to the next few months.

Do you guys know of a good affordable case for the new iPad? I don't want my mom to buy a cheap one knowing that one is going to be ineffective.

you'll want to decide if you want something that covers the front OR the front and back or if you just want a sleeve/sock to store the iPad in when you're not using it.

...then if you want one that is as thin as possible or not.

...then if you want it to support multiple positions (typing, standing up) or just one.

...then if you want something hard (hard plastic) or softer (like leather or pleather).

...then if you want something with pockets for credit cards.

there is something to match any of those specifications.

SeanR1221

Writing this post with voice dictation right now on my iPad. I'm really enjoying this thing. Should my grandfather earlier today who has an iPad one and I may have convinced him to pick one up when he gets back from his next trip. i'm really amazed how well this thing works. Just typed out this entire paragraph no mistakes.

You sure there's no mistakes ;)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Funny, all these new or updated apps, and the one that wows people most has been google maps! "Let me show you infinity blade 2..." "No! Let me see what my street looks like on this!"

The resolution of the sattelite images does make for a great demo.

toohectic

Was just at the local Apple store and played around with the new iPad. Display looked gorgeous as expected. I didn't really notice any yellow tint at all, even at extreme angles. But then again, I'm color blind and use f.lux on my Mac, so what do I know. It also was warm (temperature wise) but not really bothersome at all; in fact, kinda comfortable.. All the units are run at full brightness in the store, so I'm curious if heat is reduced substantially if you run at a more reasonable 25% brightness. Or is the heat primarily from the CPU/GPU? I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Plus they were constantly being charged, so that added to the heat output as well.

Speaking of that... I was there about 10 minutes before they closed and the one thing I did notice was that 3 of the 8 iPads were off (dead) and the rest were <20% battery. So even being constantly plugged in, the charge rate barely keeps up with the depletion rate when in constant use. I think two of them had faulty cables though since they didn't even appear to be charging at all.

One other thing... I witnessed a bug that caused the left edge of the volume slider to be under the 'next track' button on the brightness/music task switcher panel, or whatever you call that screen. It was only in portrait mode, and one I switched orientations and switched back, the bug went away. Couldn't repeat it again.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I switched back to Safari. Atomic was just performing like shit. Hopefully they will get an update out, but honestly I cant even remember why I switched in the first place.

you'll want to decide if you want something that covers the front OR the front and back or if you just want a sleeve/sock to store the iPad in when you're not using it.

...then if you want one that is as thin as possible or not.

...then if you want it to support multiple positions (typing, standing up) or just one.

...then if you want something hard (hard plastic) or softer (like leather or pleather).

...then if you want something with pockets for credit cards.

there is something to match any of those specifications.

Covers front and back and supports multiple positions

Quick

Banned
I just bought a Belkin case for my iPad 2, and holy fuck it looks pretty crappy in detail. I'm going to return it later, but I'm still left undecided on what case to get. The Smart Cover is pretty thin and bare for its price tag, and adding a back case to complement the Smart Cover just adds to that price tag overall. I won't completely abandon that idea, though.

Any suggestions on cases?

qirex99

Banned
Okay, My boss just bought a couple of Ipad 2s last year for a loyalty giveaway or other that we never got to do (http://bit.ly/zqlYPn formthose into that stuff). He sent me down to buy one but I was able to get 2 (hehe). I'm trying to convince him to just do an Ipad 2 giveaway now, but he thinks that nobody cares about the ipad 2 and that its all about the new ipad. I disagree. Am I off my rocker here? Wouldnt people want to win a free ipad 2? or is the world really like that now that its not good enough?

123rl

Try this if you haven't already. Neogaf.com on your iPad and hold it in Portrait mode. When you load a new page just pinch the screen to resize it. It fits perfectly and is easy to read. It's a great example of the screen's resolution benefits.

Tl;dr the screen is eye sex

Top Bottom