• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Chanser

Okay, My boss just bought a couple of Ipad 2s last year for a loyalty giveaway or other that we never got to do (http://bit.ly/zqlYPn formthose into that stuff). He sent me down to buy one but I was able to get 2 (hehe). I'm trying to convince him to just do an Ipad 2 giveaway now, but he thinks that nobody cares about the ipad 2 and that its all about the new ipad. I disagree. Am I off my rocker here? Wouldnt people want to win a free ipad 2? or is the world really like that now that its not good enough?

Anything made by Apple is like gold to people.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Back to Atomic. Safari is terrible when multi tab browsing. If i am watching a video on one tab, it pauses when I go to another tab. That sucks.

Try this if you haven't already. Neogaf.com on your iPad and hold it in Portrait mode. When you load a new page just pinch the screen to resize it. It fits perfectly and is easy to read. It's a great example of the screen's resolution benefits.

Tl;dr the screen is eye sex

Mockup site is better

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my battery. I've used it for at most 4 hours today and I've gone from 100% to 35%. It took longer to charge than it is taking to use.

It doesn't seem like any one else is having problems. I might give it a few more charges to see if things improve.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Quick but important smart cover tip:

Put a thin piece of clear tape on the edge of the iPad where the smart cover makes contact. The smart cover can easily scratch up the edge of the iPad over time if any small pieces of magnetic sand/iron filings get on the magnets. The filings embed into the smart cover's plastic edge and chew the iPad's finish off within days.

I took my iPad on a trip to the coast and even though I never brought it onto the beach, the cover picked up a lot of "black sand" (fine magnetic iron-rich sand) and that was that. Thankfully Apple replaced the iPad and my bookstore replaced the smart cover. Since then I've used the tape trick and although the new smart cover has a couple small pieces of black sand stuck on it, it can't do damage to the iPad.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

bs1P9.jpg

Mine has been on for a year and no scratches on the naked iPad.
I've gotten those same black scuff marks though, but I found they were just gunk, and I scratched them off with my fingernail.

The finish on the smart cover hinges do wear out though.

border

right? Thats what I been telling that buffoon - ipad2s are certainly not worthless. How that clown is my boss sometimes escapes me...

Ehhhh, I think it does make him look a little cheap when he could have bought the latest models for only a little bit more. It leads to the perception that he could have gotten the brand new hotness but opt'ed for the old coldness because he got a deal on some probably-refurbished old models on clearance. When you are in a leadership role, I think it goes a long way to show you want to reward your employees only with the best and latest stuff......not that you only want to reward them when you can save money by buying old stuff. If I were giving away the iPad 2, I'd at least explain that it was due to an availability shortage rather than cheapness.

Call me spoiled, but I was moderately annoyed at a job 5-6 years ago when I was told that we'd all be getting free iPods as a bonus, then everyone got refurbished iPod Shuffles. Was it too much to cough up a little extra and at least get people a Nano? But then again, the Shuffle was way less usable than a Nano. The difference between an iPad 2 and an iPad 3 is much smaller.

beast786

I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my battery. I've used it for at most 4 hours today and I've gone from 100% to 35%. It took longer to charge than it is taking to use.

It doesn't seem like any one else is having problems. I might give it a few more charges to see if things improve.

What were you doing makes a big difference.

georgc

I don't know if I'm crazy or not but I think that the iPad 2s speaker is a little bit louder and has more bass then the new iPad. If anybody has both can you test it out and get back to me thanks.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Completely in love with this device. Granted, it's my first iPad, but it's such a wonderful tablet. Glad I sold my Kindle Fire too...it was nice, but not this nice.

Reclaimer

Got my new iPad this morning!

That screen! First the Vita, now this? I'm getting super spoiled. This kind of pixel density really is a game changer for me. Apps that are fully updated with new graphics to take advantage of this resolution look amazing, and text in Kindle, Reeder, and everywhere else is so damn crisp I can keep the font size much smaller and still be comfortable.

The colors ARE warm, and the off angle viewing is far too warm/yellow. (most other iPads I've seen have far too cool color temp though, no matter the angle) I suspect this is how every unit is. It could be the adhesive/cleaner apple uses under the glass isn't fully dried yet (which has been the case for other yellow issues), but we won't that for a few months as if that is the case it will gt better.

Re: smart cover scratching at the magnet contacts.
The bigger problem with the smart cover is that dirt can get between the screen and the cover, and then scratch the screen as the cover shifts around. :/

I'm thinking about getting one of these for the back. The aluminum gets a bit slippery. Thoughts?
Dodocase book back
5vxDZ.jpg

Why does the Time magazine app not go to the newsstand? Why is popular science/ most of photo magazines not free with my paper sub? I'd gladly transfer all to digital ugh

Quick

Banned
Random thought at 3:30 AM: ran into some extra cash, gonna return my iPad 2, exchange for New iPad, add a hundred bucks to cover the extra cost. Good plan, GAF?

Also, what are my chances of buying one from an Apple Store? I was actually at the Fairview Mall (Toronto) location and they had a line area set-up with no one there, and people seem to have been able to walk in/out with a new iPad.

Jin

Is your Bluetooth off? My batteries were draining pretty quickly until I realize my iPad was constantly searching for BT.

I wish there was the option of moving the menubar, tabs to the bottom of safari. So tiring to move hands all e way to the top of the screen, especially in portrait mode. Makes no absolutely no ergonomical sense and forces you to readjust your grip every time you want to switch tabs, go forward, back, search, etc. Also, safari needs to support gestures. Hell, even the OSS version does. Reaching to the top left of the screen to press a tiny button should not be the only option.

Teddman

So I have Comicflow in my app list since I think it was free. Is ComicZeal 5 dollars better?

Here's my advice...

Best Free Comic Reader: CloudReaders

Best Paid Comic Readers: ComicGlass, Smash (for awesome auto-zoom feature)

I believe ComicGlass is the first comic reader to update to retina support as of today.

snack

Here's my advice...

Best Free Comic Reader: CloudReaders

Best Paid Comic Readers: ComicGlass, Smash (for awesome auto-zoom feature)

I believe ComicGlass is the first comic reader to update to retina support as of today.

I really look forward to Smash updating their app with retina. BOOYAH!

Piggus

Mine has been on for a year and no scratches on the naked iPad.
I've gotten those same black scuff marks though, but I found they were just gunk, and I scratched them off with my fingernail.

The finish on the smart cover hinges do wear out though.

On mine it scratched all the way to the bare aluminum. The scuff marks you see are the top layer being rubbed away. Eventually it rubs all the way through.

Teddman

I really look forward to Smash updating their app with retina. BOOYAH!

Yes, that will rule. I'm hoping the dev will have time to also get rid of the status bar in fullscreen mode.

It will be interesting to see if auto-zoom makes as big a difference in reading experience on the new iPad, or if the retina screen makes full pages easier on the eyes so that zooming is not as important.

Reclaimer

So I have Comicflow in my app list since I think it was free. Is ComicZeal 5 dollars better?

Comic Zeal is the most polished comic reader on the iPad IMO.

Tip for comic lovers: I store all my comics in Dropbox. When I want to read something, I open it in the Dropbox app, then hit "Send To..." to open it in my comic reader app.

Piggus

Is the new ipad more powerful than the ps3 or xbox 360?

It's closer in power to the PS Vita, but not quite as powerful. The parts are similar but the Vita has a quad core version of the CPU and dedicated VRAM. The GPU otherwise is pretty much the same in each (though the iPad has to render A LOT more pixels.)

That said, certain things like web browsing are way faster on the iPad. The 1 GB of RAM makes for some amazing browsing.

Teddman

Comic Zeal is the most polished comic reader on the iPad IMO.

Tip for comic lovers: I store all my comics in Dropbox. When I want to read something, I open it in the Dropbox app, then hit "Send To..." to open it in my comic reader app.
Zeal just doesn't have as many reading options/features as the competition, understandable since the actual reading controls haven't been updated in a year and a half.

Organization is its strong suit, but Smash does that faster and easier. Besides, organizing a comic collection locally on iPad is a waste of time; better to load wirelessly from a NAS.

madmook

Man not digging how warm this thing gets even with light usage over wifi :/
Hmm, have used mine for about 3 hours now, browsing over wifi and watching some youtube videos, as well as watched an episode of Modern Family through the ABC player app. And it doesn't even get warm, same as my iPad 1.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Solid hour of browsing and streaming radio and battery is still at 88%!

Is there a good site for wallpapers yet?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Hmm, have used mine for about 3 hours now, browsing over wifi and watching some youtube videos, as well as watched an episode of Modern Family through the ABC player app. And it doesn't even get warm, same as my iPad 1.

I think realized what it was, screen brightness! Turned off auto and made it about 45-50% and voila much cooler :)

Writing this post with voice dictation right now on my iPad. I'm really enjoying this thing. Should my grandfather earlier today who has an iPad one and I may have convinced him to pick one up when he gets back from his next trip. i'm really amazed how well this thing works. Just typed out this entire paragraph no mistakes.
Fail.

Just opened the limit of 9 tabs in safari, all quite busy pages, and they don't have to reload as I flick between them. iPad 2 used to have to reload pages after as few as 4 tabs. Dat RAM.

It's taken ages but I\ve finally decided on the case combo I want.

I needed something to just cover the iPad whilst in transit, I don't believe in wrapping it up in horrible shell cases or anything like that.

So what I decided was on a Smart Cover and this to travel with it in my bag

41PW0UryL2L.jpg

The two things that worry me about the Smart Cover are the marks left on the back of the iPad near the magnetic parts, and the fact when it's in the typing mode, the back part which is in contact with the table

But fuck it, it's going to have to be used eh!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Surprised this issue wasn't brought up in the reviews more prominently; the fellation of Apple by the tech sites on the display was a bit overboard. It's nice, but not without some consequences (e.g. Warm screen, warm body, etc)

Half the web is spoofing over the display, half is saying its two iPad 2s duct taped together. The reality as usual is somewhere in between

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If its not white, then it's not white

And iPad 1 handled it a lot better... Though there was a huge shift of color presentation at sharp angles... It worked wonders from most

Brightness/colour shift at reasonable viewing angles is my biggest issue so far. I don't expect it to handle extreme angles, but just resting it on your lap its very noticeable - ie a common use case. Don't have my iPad 1 any more but don't remember it being this bad. Sort it for iPad 4 please apple.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I only got to use my iPad for 30 minutes last night because of my 12 Hour Shift work schedules this weekend which require me to also drive into the city to get to work :(

It's awesome. The screen is beautiful. This is my first iPad.

It might have been been because I had just taken a melatonin pill and Muscle Relaxer, but it was weird as hell going from my New iPad to the iPhone 4S. It felt like I was using a mini version of the iPad.

Top Bottom