• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Messing with iPhoto, made my first "journal" :)

Wow that's nice. Perfect for mailing links to family etc. I'd switched to Lightroom for photos but looks like I'm going to have to start using iPhoto as well to get access to this. Can you only see photos synced to your iPad, or is there any way to 'stream' them from your computer running iPhoto - like iTunes home sharing? That'd be cool

Hoo-doo

Banned
Silly question but can i transfer non-itunes movies and music from my PC to my iPad? If so, does anyone know how?

Import your music to itunes and sync.
For movies, you probably have to convert them before adding them to iTunes.
I recommend Handbrake.

I personally don't put movies on my actual iPad, I stream everything with the Air Video app.
It's a small service that runs on your PC, and gives the iPad full access to video content stored on your harddrives, it will play every type of file without fault, even with subs.

You do need Wi-Fi to access it though, but you can stream it from anywhere.

Flo_Evans

That battery...

Of course I left the new charger at work. I just had it on my iPhone charger for 5 hours and it only went up 50% lol.

Just swapped it to my ipad1 charger hopefully this is a little quicker.

Gowans

Ok guys, help time.

iPhoto & photo stream are great but there is no clean solution for iMovie and videos.

What's the best way to get videos from my iPhone to iMovie on iPad to edit?

Ash_69

Plan on playing around with the new iPad today to see if it's worth it. As I'm new to apple products, could someone tell me whether the web browser supports text reflow so I don't need to constantly pan across the page when surfing the net?

rezuth

It's taken ages but I\ve finally decided on the case combo I want.

I needed something to just cover the iPad whilst in transit, I don't believe in wrapping it up in horrible shell cases or anything like that.

So what I decided was on a Smart Cover and this to travel with it in my bag

41PW0UryL2L.jpg

The two things that worry me about the Smart Cover are the marks left on the back of the iPad near the magnetic parts, and the fact when it's in the typing mode, the back part which is in contact with the table

But fuck it, it's going to have to be used eh!

I used to own that one, worked great with my smartcover.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Brightness/colour shift at reasonable viewing angles is my biggest issue so far. I don't expect it to handle extreme angles, but just resting it on your lap its very noticeable - ie a common use case. Don't have my iPad 1 any more but don't remember it being this bad. Sort it for iPad 4 please apple.

Yeah it's really distracting - but so far only gaf where it's a white/grey screen

If there is color it looks great - also if the brightness is high enough, I don't notice it

Enco

Standing in line at my store now. 20 minute wait. They're giving out free water which is pretty cool. I tried it in store and damn it's nice.

Lots in stock from what I can see.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Your kidding, so the only way is to by the camera connection kit????

I can't transfer any other way?

Any reason you can't just put the videos on your computer and sync them down via wifi sync?

I'm actually surprised that DropBox doesn't let you "Open In..." the movies into iMovie...but I just tried and you can't. I think that's a flaw in Dropbox, not iMovie, though.

The camera connection kit should only be required if you want to skip the "syncing through iTunes" step. Not at all required to get content down to the iPad.

Phreaker

Wow that's nice. Perfect for mailing links to family etc. I'd switched to Lightroom for photos but looks like I'm going to have to start using iPhoto as well to get access to this. Can you only see photos synced to your iPad, or is there any way to 'stream' them from your computer running iPhoto - like iTunes home sharing? That'd be cool

Interesting question. I just tried it and it looks like you need to have them on your iPad. You can either "beam" them from your iPhone or put them somewhere like dropbox, but it seems they need to reside on your iPad in order to pull them into iPhoto and upload them a to journal.

Here's the demo of iPhoto from the keynote speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HKgK6iupls

Sure, sync your iPhone to iTunes and then use iTunes to add the video to your iPad. That's what I've done.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm surprised just how much shit I've been able to accomplish without needing to install iTunes! I've got all my photos sync'd with google plus, my comics are read using cloud reader and downloaded through Dropbox. I'm streaming all my movies and tv shows via air video.

I just need a solution for google music. Anyone have one? The mobile website doesn't work for me.

Oh, and I'm using talkatone to make phone calls (I was using groove ip on my Xoom).

Blackhead

Redarse

Any reason you can't just put the videos on your computer and sync them down via wifi sync?

I'm actually surprised that DropBox doesn't let you "Open In..." the movies into iMovie...but I just tried and you can't. I think that's a flaw in Dropbox, not iMovie, though.

The camera connection kit should only be required if you want to skip the "syncing through iTunes" step. Not at all required to get content down to the iPad.
So I can only edit video if the video is taken by my iPad or an iPhone?
It becomes very hit-and-miss trying to sync via a computer. You have to put it through the Photos syncing and iMovie might still refuse to use it even when it shows up in the Photos app on the iPad. More info here.

The only sure thing is to take videos with the iPad or take with the iPhone and sync with the camera connection kit.

Kryptonic

Sorry if this has already been posted, but anybody else having trouble syncing photos to the new iPad. It seems to be only syncing some of my photos. I tried clearing the iPod photo cache in the folder I want to sync but no luck. I searched online a bit and apparently some others are having issues and think its a bug in newest version of iTunes? One guy said to just keep resyncing and eventually will sync all photos, but I'm not having much luck with that.

Posting from the new iPad. Damn this screen is nice!

I was able to wall charge to 100% over 7 hourslast night.

Next time i run it down to 0% i will record the % every half hour while charging.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shit, something went wrong with my iPhoto library. My pictures folder *is* my iPhoto library for some weird reason. Might need to start from scratch again

X-Frame

Anyone in NYC that has a new iPad run a speediest yet?

From what I'm hearing, Verizon's LTE is much faster and in more cities than AT&T's.

Just noticed a small cosmetic flaw on the outter part of the bezel, part the outter steel.

Its bothersome now since you know its there. Is this something that apple/the authorize seller replace or is it bad luck and live with it?

It resembles this I found on another forum:

http://i.imgur.com/4kMTf.jpg

gkryhewy

Just noticed a small cosmetic flaw on the outter part of the bezel, part the outter steel.

Its bothersome now since you know its there. Is this something that apple/the authorize seller replace or is it bad luck and live with it?

Why are there so many reports of blemishes out of the box with this launch? I don't recall that being the case with prior iPad launches.

kinggroin

Banned
So....anyone have an answer to my google music question? That's the last piece of the puzzle for me and then I'm ready to settle. I wouldn't mind using the website if I could get it to work,

I need to know what apps to get for the new iPad. I haven't used one before and I feel like paying 500+ just to surf the web and taking pictures doesn't seem like a good investment. I know they are a few default apps, but I want to have the best possible experience with the iPad.

Phreaker

It becomes very hit-and-miss trying to sync via a computer. You have to put it through the Photos syncing and iMovie might still refuse to use it even when it shows up in the Photos app on the iPad. More info here.

Hmm, I've only tried it with 4 fairly short videos, but they all worked for me. They were already synced to my PC via iTunes. What I did was put them into a folder and then connect my iPad and selected it from the Devices list. From there I went to Photos and had it "Sync Photos From" and selected the folder that contained the 4 videos. (I also had the checkbox marked that said "Include videos"). Once synced they were all available in iMovie to edit.

I need to know what apps to get for the new iPad. I haven't used one before and I feel like paying 500+ just to surf the web and taking pictures doesn't seem like a good investment. I know they are a few default apps, but I want to have the best possible experience with the iPad.

Well, what is it you want to do with it? (What did you buy it for?) Here's a link to get you started. There are apps for just about everything: http://beta.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/top-200-best-ipad-apps-2012-681998 Browsing the App Store is fun too. Here's GAF's Best of iOS thread too: http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=448523

I'm headed to the Apple store today to have them look at my iPhone, which is having some battery issues. I'm going to take my new iPad 64 GB WiFi along and see if I can exchange for a 64GB 4G model. I think I'm ready to jump on the LTE bandwagon with Verizon so I can hotspot it.

Spacebar

This is how mine came in the box yesterday. It also had a dent around the back camera lens.

I'm sure the 99% will chime in with their first world problem comments, but just take it to an Apple store and hope hey exchange it.

FreeMufasa

Import your music to itunes and sync.
For movies, you probably have to convert them before adding them to iTunes.
I recommend Handbrake.

I personally don't put movies on my actual iPad, I stream everything with the Air Video app.
It's a small service that runs on your PC, and gives the iPad full access to video content stored on your harddrives, it will play every type of file without fault, even with subs.

You do need Wi-Fi to access it though, but you can stream it from anywhere.

Ha ha thanks this is exactly what I need, streaming from a PC server.

Also this is my first iPad post. Also made by using dictation ^^

kaskade

Has anyone else had any problems with the smart cover scratching. I haven't really heard it being a wide spread issue. I just like the idea of the cover though. I feel like it doesn't detract from the look of the iPad like a normal case would plus the ability to use it as a stand is nice for videos.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Yeah, it works great. I always have access to over 2TB of archived documentaries, shows and movies. So nice for when you just want to watch something while cooking, or lying in bed.

Here is the server application, by the way.

Just read a story about a boy here who was 4th in the queue, was given £300 to go to the back of the queue where he became 18th in the queue. Not a bad way to earn money. That just covers most of the cost of the new 16GB iPad.

Enco

Just set it up mang so much sexiness.

iCloud sorted my calendar, contacts, bookmarks, notes and pretty much everything else. Setting it up as a new iPad so I can pick my own apps.

Can't wait. I need a case though. Feels so risky playing without one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, it works great. I always have access to over 2TB of archived documentaries, shows and movies. So nice for when you just want to watch something while cooking, or lying in bed.

Here is the server application, by the way.

If you're ok running a server, you could try plex too. Most of my video is ripped DVDs so I like how plex presents the metadata. It also transcodes if needed

I wish there was the option of moving the menubar, tabs to the bottom of safari. So tiring to move hands all e way to the top of the screen, especially in portrait mode. Makes no absolutely no ergonomical sense and forces you to readjust your grip every time you want to switch tabs, go forward, back, search, etc. Also, safari needs to support gestures. Hell, even the OSS version does. Reaching to the top left of the screen to press a tiny button should not be the only option.

Couldn't agree more.

I have an odd issue which I presume to be coincidental

Every time I try synching my iPad it gets halfway through the photos and the laptop shuts down

I've never had any issues with the laptop before but presume its just an annoying coincidence that it's flared up now

^ very damn unusual. Maybe an uninstall --> reinstall of iTunes will resolve that. It's clearly an issue with the software, so that would be my first idea.

Air Video is going to put a fat smile on your face. The only reason you'll ever transcode a video is for when you're somewhere you don't have a wifi signal. Maybe on a plane or at an airport/terminal. Otherwise, with Air Video you can stream over any wifi connection anywhere in the world. Video quality will be the hightest when you're at home because you'll be on your home network, but it will look good 1,000 miles from home too as long as the upload speed on your home network is decent.

Air Video really is one of the 5 best apps for iOS.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have an odd issue which I presume to be coincidental

Every time I try synching my iPad it gets halfway through the photos and the laptop shuts down

I've never had any issues with the laptop before but presume its just an annoying coincidence that it's flared up now

What kind of laptop do you have?

Top Bottom