• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Nothing to complain about with my screen. No blemishes. No light leakage. The color temp actually looks cooler next to my iPad 1. It's just beautiful.

Zeth

Everything looks good on this thing. iPad and most iPhone apps scale VERY well. Nothing like the days of non-retina apps on the iPhone 4. Either something has changed with aliasing/scaling or the size and resolution works better here.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Everything looks good on this thing. iPad and most iPhone apps scale VERY well. Nothing like the days of non-retina apps on the iPhone 4. Either something has changed with aliasing/scaling or the size and resolution works better here.

Seems like it does what RetinaPad did for jailbroken devices.
Thank goodness.

Reclaimer

I have an odd issue which I presume to be coincidental

Every time I try synching my iPad it gets halfway through the photos and the laptop shuts down

I've never had any issues with the laptop before but presume its just an annoying coincidence that it's flared up now

I had a similar problem as well, where iTunes said the photos were synced, but they weren't showing up on the iPad.

Solution: go to the folder on your computer where you are syncing photos from. There should be a folder iTunes created called "iPod photo cache". Delete it, sync again, and iTunes will rebuilt the photo sync data. Post sync, I had to then tun my iPad off and on again to see all the folders in the photo app.

(this issue doesn't happen from my Mac, only my PC)

f@luS

More than a member.
My friend got his ipad too

32g black. And screen is cooler (more white , blue)

Now i regret the white of mine ( blacks better) and my yellow screen. I think ill send it back to apple. Its 7 days refund?

Blackhead

Redarse
Hmm, I've only tried it with 4 fairly short videos, but they all worked for me. They were already synced to my PC via iTunes. What I did was put them into a folder and then connect my iPad and selected it from the Devices list. From there I went to Photos and had it "Sync Photos From" and selected the folder that contained the 4 videos. (I also had the checkbox marked that said "Include videos"). Once synced they were all available in iMovie to edit.
Yeah, just checked and that worked for a video I tried. It always did work well with the iPhone videos and a recent update improved compatibility with other cameras (according to some reports anyway.

I think realized what it was, screen brightness! Turned off auto and made it about 45-50% and voila much cooler :)
:? that explains a lot. I'll definitely have to go down to a lower brightness than I'd prefer.

Oh no I just went back to my iMac after a couple of hours browsing on the iPad and it looks really shitty now!
Haha, same here.

I've been trying to find the best secondary display setup this morning. I went through Air Display, iDisplay, DisplayPad and Splashtop Xdisplay.

lZPrR.png

So my wife and I each have an iPad now. Is there any reason to not just share an iTunes account (single log in?)

If you plan on using iCloud features I would say keep a separate account, otherwise you'll get synced with the same contacts and notes and bookmarks and all that jazz, as well as receiving each others iMessages

Is there a good music app that streams music from my home server? For some reason iTunes doesn't want to be installed on a Windows Server.

Enco

Been using it for around an hour now and there are no heating issues.

No usage stats which sucks. A small amount of bleeding but no issue with it.

georgc

Yeah, just checked and that worked for a video I tried. It always did work well with the iPhone videos and a recent update improved compatibility with other cameras (according to some reports anyway.

:? that explains a lot. I'll definitely have to go down to a lower brightness than I'd prefer.

I've been trying to find the best secondary display setup this morning. I went through Air Display, iDisplay, DisplayPad and Splashtop Xdisplay.

What would you say the best display program is. Also I'm still trying to see if my iPad 3 speakers aren't as good as my iPad 2s it seems like mine doesn't play as loud and can someone who has an iPad to confirm this for me thanks

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you plan on using iCloud features I would say keep a separate account, otherwise you'll get synced with the same contacts and notes and bookmarks and all that jazz, as well as receiving each others iMessages

Cate a separate apple ID for each of you for the 5GB storage and syncing contacts etc, but you can also have a shared appleID for purchases. The iCloud ones and iTunes ones aren't connected.

No reason not to use the same appleID unless you both buy very different apps, in that case you MIT want to turn off auto sync of apps.

Reclaimer

Wrong.

You can set up separate accounts for iCloud/Messages/etc. and then share a single iTunes account so that you can share apps/music/videos.

My girl and I have done it that way for a year now

Edit: I remember a great article on Lifehacker or Gizmodo about this, but I couldn't find it. Try this Apple FAQ as a start. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895

so this thing is getting pretty warm after about 15 minutes of use. normal?

I used mine in bed for two hours last night. No noticeable change in heat. I recommend turning off auto- brightness and Bluetooth if you don't need it.

So my wife and I each have an iPad now. Is there any reason to not just share an iTunes account (single log in?)

Who gets the apps/music/movies in the divorce?

Is there a good reason to mirror the iPad via Appletv to my HDTV? I tried it last night and it looks like absolute shit. Maybe I'm just missing an important setting?

So me and the wife both have the 4s with separate Apple id's. Last night we got an iPad and I was wondering how to photo stream both of our phones to the iPad and my friend said we should be using the same Id. I have always purchased my own apps and so has she. Have I been doing it wrong this entire time?

How does it handle iCloud backups and contacts and stuff if we shared the same one??

Blackhead

Redarse
What would you say the best display program is. Also I'm still trying to see if my iPad 3 speakers aren't as good as my iPad 2s it seems like mine doesn't play as loud and can someone who has an iPad to confirm this for me thanks
I'd say iDisplay but I don't think my computer and router are good enough to handle the highest settings. Slashtop Xdisplay is light on features but offered that 2560x1440 resolution that I used for the screenshot. DisplayPad and Air Display are decently designed apps (even prettier than iDisplay) but are still stuck on 1024x768. None of the apps are really ready for the iPad 3, you should probably wait for the updates to trickle in. If you want to try it out now, get iDisplay.
Have you tried Screens?

Love that app.

Not sure if thats Apples : Apples though.
I'm trying it now and it can't connect. I was only looking at secondary displays app at first. I'll now go through my collection of VNC/RDP apps. LTE speeds might make VNC extremely viable on the road.

Edit: Screens works. It's just obvious more laggy than the dedicated display apps. Now to try Splashtop

Vyer

So....anyone have an answer to my google music question? That's the last piece of the puzzle for me and then I'm ready to settle. I wouldn't mind using the website if I could get it to work,

I think there was an app that could actually link to google music at one time, gmusic or something, but I don't know how well it worked.

Phreaker

Yeah, I've found the same thing. I was thinking my iPhone apps would look like hell at 2x now, but honestly the same apps I used at 2x look better on the new iPad than they do on my iPad 1. I watched some NetFlix on it last night in bed and was really really impressed with the picture and color over the same shows on my iPad1 too.

I can only think of one. My friend and his wife share the account. She is a freak and downloads ANYTHING that is free. He had to turn off the auto-download feature because each time he'd turn on his iPad he'd have 25 new apps he didn't want.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a good reason to mirror the iPad via Appletv to my HDTV? I tried it last night and it looks like absolute shit. Maybe I'm just missing an important setting?

Mirroring not so much - maybe you have a separate urge to play real racing on a giant screen? AirPlay more so, but for me most of the videos I'd watch are duplicated on my tv anyway (Netflix on Xbox etc)

e_i

Wow...PDFs are awesome on this thing. Text is fantastic. The added resolution makes reading manga a breeze without zooming in.

Wow...PDFs are awesome on this thing. Text is fantastic. The added resolution makes reading manga a breeze without zooming in.

Yeah, manga really does look spectacular on the new screen. No more zoom required - literally everything works. iPad3 is a no-question update if you read, basically.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was thinking about maybe getting SOME magazine and news subscriptions but a lot of these subscription plans seem ridiculous.

I was thinking about getting a year subscription to EDGE but I'm not sure.

What subscriptions have people here gotten? Newspapers, Magazines, Comics?

Are there any free ones that are good?

LCfiner

I was thinking about maybe getting SOME magazine and news subscriptions but a lot of these subscription plans seem ridiculous.

I was thinking about getting a year subscription to EDGE but I'm not sure.

What subscriptions have people here gotten? Newspapers, Magazines, Comics?

Are there any free ones that are good?

I've enjoyed the content in national geographic and some issues of popular science. I hope nat geo can publish to retina quality soon as that would look stunning.

Anyone in NYC that has a new iPad run a speediest yet?

From what I'm hearing, Verizon's LTE is much faster and in more cities than AT&T's.

I have Verizon LTE on mine and so far I've run tests in Midtown (Lexington Ave) and Sunnyside, Queens. Here's my initial results:

iScA3aj45QsUa.JPG

Things I've noticed:
  • Often, LTE is faster then my wifi connection
  • I've gotten some odd results where download is decent but upload is blazing
  • The 11.88 down/16.58 up test? That was on the 7 train
  • I have yet to have a full 5 bars on LTE. Most I've gotten yet was 4

I've heard that AT&T's LTE network, at least in NYC, is faster than Verizon's. However, I think that's just because no one is really using it, which may be changing right now thanks to the new iPad. I don't trust AT&T to keep pace with the iPad and eventual LTE iPhone. And yes, Verizon LTE is available in many more cities.

Quick

Banned
It was a bit of a drive to the nearest Best Buy that had iPads in stock, but I exchanged my iPad 2 for the new 16GB black WiFi model.

Feels good man.

Midas

Rest of the world (23 march) still no preorder....
what the hell.....

6 days, how on earth will Apple pull this one off?

001.jpg

I'm quite sure there won't be any pre-orders. Get in line if you want it on Friday. My guess is that when it's available to order in the country specific stores on their website on Friday, it's an instant 2-3 weeks delivery time.

AndTAR

Does the speed of the four-finger, sideways multitasking gesture seem improved, versus previous iPads? It produced almost three seconds of delay on an iPad 2, from the end of the animation to reponse from the activated app. Would be great with just a slight speed-up.

mf.luder

I wish I didn't have to go through Zinio to get the magazines that I want. It's the creating and maintaining another account that puts me off.

Tobor

I was worried that my purchased Comixology and iBooks comics would look bad on the new display. Holy crap was I wrong! Both look fantastic.

Were these comics higher res scans this whole time?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Does the speed of the four-finger, sideways multitasking gesture seem improved, versus previous iPads? It produced almost three seconds of delay on an iPad 2, from the end of the animation to reponse from the activated app. Would be really great with improvements there.

I didnt use it much on the 2, but there is still a delay. Not three seconds, and not bothersome to me, but still a delay.

Does the speed of the four-finger, sideways multitasking gesture seem improved, versus previous iPads? It produced almost three seconds of delay on an iPad 2, from the end of the animation to reponse from the activated app. Would be great with just a slight speed-up.

Definitely. I've been using multigestures pretty exclusively since yesterday. The four-finger home gesture is also blazing fast. Performance -wise there have been no hiccups with this beast.

iPhoto is the shit, by the way. It's simple, elegant, and gets the job done. And it's crazy cheap.

Vyer

I only had the Fire and Touchpad to compare with, but the speakers on those always bothered me - always seemed I could sense more the sound on the 'side' the speakers were physically on and it was always distracting.

I don't know how the iPad does it, but the sound quality is considerably better. It sounds more 'stereo' than the others for whatever reason. Like it's a much fuller sound.

NekoFever

I've been thinking of iPhoto, but I haven't seen a clear explanation of how, if at all, it integrates with my existing iPhoto libraries. Can I make edits and have them sync to iPhoto on my Mac or the libraries in the photos app on my iPad?

Anyone think battery cycling is worth doing? That is, running the battery down to 0 before charging it?

Also, I honestly couldn't be happier with this thing. The speed, the switch from black to white and the screen. Just tested it and I don't even have any backlight bleeding. Woo!

My favorite part of yesterday was when the FedEx guy finally showed up with it around 5pm, shoves the signature scanner into my hand and just says "i hate these fuckin' iPads" to which I respond "ah sorry, I guess we're keeping you busy today, huh?" and he says "Busy?!? That's an understatement."

Good times!

I was worried that my purchased Comixology and iBooks comics would look bad on the new display. Holy crap was I wrong! Both look fantastic.

Were these comics higher res scans this whole time?

I imagine Marvel/whomever never bothered to optimize for a 1024x768 display since that would have quality issues and rule out use on Android platforms where the resolution is much more fluid. I can't speak to whether any of those comics are quite full iPad 3 resolution but even being > 1024x768 and upscaled is probably a clear improvement over what you could see on the old device.

DJ88

Yeah, I noticed that too. I remember back when the iPhone 4 came out all, the apps that weren't retina updated look like shit, but on this new iPad they all look pretty damn good. They definitely did something new here. Of course, they still don't compare at all with actual retina updated apps.

Vyer

I was going to try to go caseless for this, but the metal back just bothers me for some reason. I guess my skin is too dry lol. I want something very light though. Now to dig back through all those case posts I glanced at earlier in the thread....

giga

From my library, apps that have been updated for the retina display. These are not including Apple apps, which were all updated before release:

Calcbot, Delivery Status, iA Writer, Instapaper, Readability, Alien Blue, Magical Weather, Reeder, Tweetbot, NBA Game Time, Flipboard, Kindle.
Total: 12

Still awaiting an update:

Verbs, Google Translate, Plex, Facebook, Dropbox, ESPN ScoreCenter XL, Band of the Day, Deep Green, 500 px.
Total: 9

Not too shabby, after only one day since release. Also, I have 11.8 GB free out of 13.3 GB total with 29 apps and 75 photos. The rest of my media is streamed. Don't be scared of getting the base model.

Top Bottom