• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

it's called "iPad". I never knew this was going to be as huge of an issue for people. When you pick out accessories for the iPad or add the iPad to cart you see that it's the iPad (3rd Generation). Same thing with iPods, same thing with the MacBook Air. Apple isn't going to keep playing the numbers game to the point where we have a iPad 12, iPod touch 7, MacBook Air 6.

It's just the new "iPad".

Or 3rd gen iPad for those that really want to get crazy.

I understand the identifier is the issue, though. Being able to tell one year's iPad from the next or previous via the retail box or the device itself.

The reason people freak out is because everyone wants to wave their dick in the air because its the newest. (I think I got that right)

Cheebo

Banned
Im kinda suprised to see you can still preordered any iPad and get it delivered on the 16th... why the heck would anyone camp out and such? If they wanted one that bad they've had the last 20 hours to preorder.

A lot of people like the experience of a in person launch with hundred of other Apple fans. I'd never do it but I get the appeal.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The reason people freak out is because everyone wants to wave their dick in the air because its the newest. (I think I got that right)

That, and its kinda funny thinking about a person who knows nothing about this stuff going too an apple display at best buy and seeing "ipad: 499" "ipad 2: 399" and scratching there head trying to figure out why the "newer" one is so much cheaper.

Im kinda suprised to see you can still preordered any iPad and get it delivered on the 16th... why the heck would anyone camp out and such? If they wanted one that bad they've had the last 20 hours to preorder. I'm actually considering ordering a 2nd one, a 32gb one, and selling the 16gb one i ordered yesterday at launch to see if i can make a profit to pay the difference. Anyone think there will be a market for it on ebay?

The first shipment is already sold out in Germany. The new date is March 22.

Cheebo

Banned
That, and its kinda funny thinking about a person who knows nothing about this stuff going too an apple display at best buy and seeing "ipad: 499" "ipad 2: 399" and scratching there head trying to figure out why the "newer" one is so much cheaper.

The thing is the iPad 2 was never sold as iPad 2. Every display, box, etc just lists it as "iPad". It doesn't say 2 anywhere on the product so it isn't really a issue.

Woz

I could put fridge on ignore list, but there's a bunch of people that is constantly replying at him.

Fucking annoying.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does anyone believe that if the iPad's original resolution had been 960x640 that we wouldn't be seeing a 1920x1280 "Retina" screen with a slightly closer estimate on where users hold it?

Likewise, if the original iPad was 1280x960, we'd be seeing 2560x1920, the same distance, and higher PPIs.

It's pretty clear that first came the decision to do a high resolution display, then came the real-world concern of going for exactly 2X, then came the calculations about what that entailed.

e_i

The thing is the iPad 2 was never sold as iPad 2. Every display, box, etc just lists it as "iPad". It doesn't say 2 anywhere on the product so it isn't really a issue.

The iPod Touches never used names either. It's just 1st generation, 2nd generation, etc.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
photo editing
video streaming
non-blurry games, more details
video editing the details
reading, you will have less sore eyes
comics, as sharp as they can be

more?

7ea1f6d2.jpg

Love my iPad but man I want the screen readable!

Pagusas

Elden Member

Even on apples own website they show the ipad 2 as the ipad 2, right next to the "new ipad"
Capture-2.jpg

I fully expect thats how it will be at best buy and such. Not complaining, I just find it interesting. when the ipad 4th Gen launches it wont matter anymore.

Tobor

Likewise, if the original iPad was 1280x960, we'd be seeing 2560x1920, the same distance, and higher PPIs.

It's pretty clear that first came the decision to do a high resolution display, then came the real-world concern of going for exactly 2X, then came the calculations about what that entailed.

Agreed. I would bet the overall mission was to create a beautiful screen, and the rest followed suit.

Even on apples own website they show the ipad 2 as the ipad 2, right next to the "new ipad"
50cd895

I fully expect thats how it will be at best buy and such. Not complaining, I just find it interesting. when the ipad 4th Gen launches it wont matter anymore.

It doesn't matter now. There's a few people bitching about it so that they have a reason to press the "Submit Reply" button but this isn't seriously an issue to any normal person.

Cheebo

Banned
Capture-2.jpg

In stores though there is no such difference. The packaging for iPad 2 only calls it the iPad. As do in store displays at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc.

Pagusas

Elden Member
*debates pulling the trigger on a second one* If I ebay the 16gb one, should I end the auction on the 16th? or end it on the 17th for all the poor saps who couldnt find one on the 16th and are now desperate to overpay for something instead of wait?

Zeth

In Store pick-up is showing as available for me now. Anyone do that with their order? I really want to get this thing ASAP and I'm off next Friday. I guess there's no info about whether they're opening at 10a/5pm?

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
*debates pulling the trigger on a second one* If I ebay the 16gb one, should I end the auction on the 16th? or end it on the 17th for all the poor saps who couldnt find one on the 16th and are now desperate to overpay for something instead of wait?

End it on the 17th. Make fat stacks.

Gone for a Belkin wool sleeve for now. Need something on releaase day as it will be my daily commuting work horse, thrown in a bag each morning. Well, maybe not thrown, lightly placed.

Can't wait!!

:D

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Who here show's their order as "Processing" and who's got "Preparing for Shipment?" I'm paranoid that I won't get mine on day one haha.

I quite like that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Love my iPad but man I want the screen readable!

I'd dismissed this comment as crazy until seeing a website recently in an apple store. I realise that secondapps uses a large enough font that readability isn't an issue on ipad 1/2. So now I'm really looking forward to ipad 3

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
ok now im thinking of getting the 32 gb wifi ipad instead of 16 gb. help me gaf. help me

If the money isn't that big of a deal for you, you're going to want more storage versus less. In the 2 previous iPads I've gotten the 32GB model, and as long as you are curating the device in some capacity and not just leaving any and every app you every download on the thing there...I don't typically go over 16GB of storage used unless I start adding videos to it.

Don't keep my music on there since I always have my phone with me.
Videos I load on when I'm going on a flight or a vacation, but typically not otherwise
Pictures don't take up that much space (I have thousands and I'm under 2GB)

32GB is a safe number for me...even with app size expecting to shoot up. 16GB would not be possible for my use, but 64GB seems like overkill.

I suspect with 32GB I'll brush up closer to being at 20-25GB day to day vs. the 16GB I was before...but either way 32GB to me seems like a reasonable number. 16GB not so much.

If you are situations without the internets, it's worth it IMO. iTunes movies and such will fill it up really quickly. I kinda regret going cheap and getting the 16GB ipad 2.

i dont download music or movies, mostly stream them. but i have a LOT of CBRs, pdfs and will use a lot of retina apps

Flo_Evans

I think the people arguing both sides of that "Retina" debate are equally silly. Retina is obviously a marketing scheme that was cooked up after Apple decided that the easiest way to increase resolution without complex scaling issues for legacy apps was to double the pixels in both directions.

Those formula are pointless for real users because there is no agreement on what the maximum resolving power of the human eye is, no guarantee that your eyesight will have the same resolving power as what they use in the formula, and no guarantee that you will hold your screen at the same distance. There is no reason to care about some arbitrary formula when you can actually go look at the screen yourself and use your own eyes to make a judgment.

Does anyone believe that if the iPad's original resolution had been 960x640 that we wouldn't be seeing a 1920x1280 "Retina" screen with a slightly closer estimate on where users hold it?

Seriously. Its a made up marketing term not some universal constant.

The thing is double the resolution of the old one, call it whatever the fuck you want just give me one!

My black 16 has shipped!

Have a seperate order for a white 16 that is STILL processing. Anyone gotten a ship on a white iPad? I even ordered the white before the black, during when the Apple Store was a mess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All sizes in black still available for 16th March delivery in the UK. White pushed out to 22 march for 32/64GB wifi. Seems availability is going to be pretty good

3N16MA

Banned
If the money isn't that big of a deal for you, you're going to want more storage versus less. In the 2 previous iPads I've gotten the 32GB model, and as long as you are curating the device in some capacity and not just leaving any and every app you every download on the thing there...I don't typically go over 16GB of storage used unless I start adding videos to it.

Don't keep my music on there since I always have my phone with me.
Videos I load on when I'm going on a flight or a vacation, but typically not otherwise
Pictures don't take up that much space (I have thousands and I'm under 2GB)

32GB is a safe number for me...even with app size expecting to shoot up. 16GB would not be possible for my use, but 64GB seems like overkill.

I suspect with 32GB I'll brush up closer to being at 20-25GB day to day vs. the 16GB I was before...but either way 32GB to me seems like a reasonable number. 16GB not so much.

I think you make a good point about 32GB being safe. If one is debating between 16/32GB I say get 32GB and be safe. You can't add storage to the iPad so you're set with what you have. If you know for certain 16GB is enough then go with that.

bbagwell

Looks awesome, want one badly and all that. My iPad 2 is still running like a champ and I try to stick to a two year upgrade plan on all iOS devices.

It sucks when the new hotness is announced, everyone posts that their package is in Kalamazoo and the inevitable unboxing shots are posted. After the initial two months or so of agony and envy I start to think about how magical the next one is going to be and that reinforces my brilliant decision to save my money for it.
My three kids each think they have dibs on the old model when dad upgrades, so that is why I don't sell to buy.

PaulLFC

My black 16 has shipped!

Have a seperate order for a white 16 that is STILL processing. Anyone gotten a ship on a white iPad? I even ordered the white before the black, during when the Apple Store was a mess.
Are you in the US? My UK order is still processing at the moment.

Flo_Evans

I think you make a good point about 32GB being safe. If one is debating between 16/32GB I say get 32GB and be safe. You can't add storage to the iPad so you're set with what you have. If you know for certain 16GB is enough then go with that.

The resale on these things is pretty damn good though. If you get the 16 you should be able to sell it for mot much loss and buy a 32 if you end up wanting more. Unless you get something stupid engraved on it :p

I got the 64, I know I want to put tons of photos/videos on it, I have tons of huge apps, and I want it dammit! lol

Pagusas

Elden Member
well I bought a 2nd one. Hope Ill at least break even or make a small profit on the 16gb on ebay. If not I guess I could always just return it unopened to apple for a refund.

mf.luder

Oh man I can't wait. I was at work yesterday, doing a rather boring yet uncomplicated manual labour job. All I was thinking about was the 2 latest rumours, iPad HD and the Haptic Display. Obviously the screen was rumoured to go High Definition but what if they were also going to drop [H]aptic [D]isplay on us?!

I was so disgruntled that I couldn't log on to GAF and tell you this dumb idea 24 hours ago.....

Top Bottom