• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
So my wife and I each have an iPad now. Is there any reason to not just share an iTunes account (single log in?)

Use the same iTunes account, have seperate iCloud accounts. As confusing as it sounds, those are 2 totally seperate things.

My wife and I share one iTunes account so we have access to the same apps, and iTunes Match content. We have seperate iCloud accounts so that we have seperate contacts, photos, reminders, etc.

Tobor

I imagine Marvel/whomever never bothered to optimize for a 1024x768 display since that would have quality issues and rule out use on Android platforms where the resolution is much more fluid. I can't speak to whether any of those comics are quite full iPad 3 resolution but even being > 1024x768 and upscaled is probably a clear improvement over what you could see on the old device.

I have no idea what res they are, but they look perfect zoomed out. I'm impressed.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My friend got his ipad too

32g black. And screen is cooler (more white , blue)

Now i regret the white of mine ( blacks better) and my yellow screen. I think ill send it back to apple. Its 7 days refund?

White is right. If you aren't satisfied with the screen color I would say exchange it anyway. If you want the other color as well than that too. Just be aware that you might notice the same screen on the new one you get potentially.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
This is my first iPad and I have to say its the coolest piece of tech I've ever owned!

Why the fuck is my iPad going in circles? Did it forget something in KY and go back for it?

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-17%20at%2011.37.54%20AM.png

Vyer

I just took a look. I've used 6 gigs, though 1.5 of that is from that Atlas app for my son.

I haven't got into any games yet, though.

I have 35 apps, a couple of them games.

Still have 9.1 of my 16GB available.

Reports of the base models demise have been greatly exaggurated.

Enco

35 apps is not much at all.

What about movies, music, documents, books etc?

edit: Whats the best soft back cover that can be used in combo with the smart cover?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
LogMeIn and iTeleport look excellent even without being updated for retina.

well they kind of look how they did before. TBH i'm unsure about them updating to retina. Firstly, most users computers aren't running in such a high resolution that they need retina to display it 1:1 - 1024x768 is enough to show most laptop screens in portrait mode with only side-side scrollign needed.

Second, wont' retina massively increase the amount of data transmitted across the network, or will the VNC compression magic help there?

48 apps (I'd say 12 of them are retina at this point), maybe almost 300 photos for me. Gonna drop some local media on there (music/podcasts) and will still probably have like 18GB free. Very happy I opted for 32gb this go-round. I'm actually surprised at the lack of space books take up (have about 10 of them).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any way to access your entire iphoto library (or folders of photos on a network) other than syncing them all? I have way too many to sync but I'd like to access them in a nicely presented way.

Iphoto has a sharing option, but it seems to only let other iphoto computers on the network view photos. itunes has home sharing but just for music/videos

seems an obvious gap that needs filling, most of the ingredients are already there - maybe an update to iphoto on ipad later?

BeeDog

well they kind of look how they did before. TBH i'm unsure about them updating to retina. Firstly, most users computers aren't running in such a high resolution that they need retina to display it 1:1 - 1024x768 is enough to show most laptop screens in portrait mode with only side-side scrollign needed.

Second, wont' retina massively increase the amount of data transmitted across the network, or will the VNC compression magic help there?

I would assume a retina update for LogMeIn could simply update the app's art assets, while going 1080p for the streaming since most PC's don't run above that resolution anyway. Would a bump from 768p to 1080p streaming incur a major bandwidth increase?

Yeah 16gb is too little. The really awesome/neat things about the ipad is having all these apps/games/vids/musics in the palm of your hand. 32gb should be a minimum..

I wish they'd let the iPad to do dictation. Currently on the can with the 2.

Screen isn't as sharp but still looks fine.

It all depends on what and how, my old 8gb touch years ago used to never be filled up but a while later I was deleting things left and right. Granted I used my touch mostly for games and not other apps like news or typing, games are going to be some of the bigger apps out there.

Also like iphone retina, app's might change their output res at first but once newer games a few months from now start to use up that 1gb of ram on an ipad for better textures and other memory things, files will increase.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Yeah 16gb is too little. The really awesome/neat things about the ipad is having all these apps/games/vids/musics in the palm of your hand. 32gb should be a minimum..

I wish they'd let the iPad to do dictation. Currently on the can with the 2.

Screen isn't as sharp but still looks fine.

I went with 16gb. Upgrading from Kindle Fire where I used 5gb. I store books, PDFs, magazines and photos. Music is on my phone and I don't see the need to keep movies stored once they have been watched. It works for me :)

I don't play games either.

MercuryLS

Banned
I think 16gb is fine if you mostly stream your music/movies. I just got iTunes Match so I don't need to put my music on the local storage, netflix for movies. I opened up the 16gb that I ordered, I was thinking that I would have to return it and get a 32gb but honestly, it's fine. As apps go to retina, there may be a bit of a crunch, but that just means I will have to organize and delete unused apps. No biggie.

I find that when you have iOS devices with tons of storage that you tend to fill it up with tons of shit (most of which you'll never or hardly touch).

dream

its baffling you cannot set up two iDevices to communicate with each other over bluetooth ie transfer photos from iphone to ipad, in some ways Apple is years behind the rest.

Even more so considering Lion has the awesome Air Drop feature.

Plus, iOS has always supported Bonjour.

Expensive for something I can't test.e: And it doesn't even support created playlists?

Yes.

and trust the reviews. If you have any more specific questions, I'm happy to answer. I've been using the app for 3 years, both on my iPad and iPhone to stream in my home, while driving down the road, while at the office.

edit: and if $2.99 is expensive to you, how did you come upon that $500+ iPad? StreamToMe will not disappoint. It will handle your FLAC, AAC, MP3, etc as well as your video files AND photos.

Bowser

Yes.

and trust the reviews. If you have any more specific questions, I'm happy to answer. I've been using the app for 3 years, both on my iPad and iPhone to stream in my home, while driving down the road, while at the office.

edit: and if $2.99 is expensive to you, how did you come upon that $500+ iPad? StreamToMe will not disappoint. It will handle your FLAC, AAC, MP3, etc as well as your video files AND photos.

Just bought this app...it's awesome! One question though, is there any way to download a photo onto the iPad locally or is that not possible (I'm thinking the latter but figured I might as well ask)?

Just bought this app...it's awesome! One question though, is there anyway to download a photo onto the iPad locally or is that not possible (I'm thinking the latter but figured I might as well ask)
nice!

As for your question, I'm not sure about that, but I don't believe so.

Also, if you need help setting up remote access (for when you're not at home), let me know.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I had a shot of the new iPad. The screen is just incredible. Really crisp and clear. It's like looking at a high quality glossy magazine. Surfing would be an absolute joy on this.

The rear camera is surprisingly good. I took a couple of photos and a video. Both came out great. It's funny, but when I was using the screen as a viewfinder. It was like someone had cut a hole thru the screen. Very impressive. The shots and vid came out great.

I'll pick one up in June (a birthday prezzie from my wife).

How widespread are the warm color temperature screens? Macrumors people are losing their minds over it.

I truly love that forum for the pure insanity some of those users exhibit. The "BOYCOTT FED-EX" thread was a highlight.

Also, re: warm vs. cool colors, I'm not sure I'm understanding it correctly. My new iPad has what I feel like are deeper blues and whiter whites. Is that more "cool" vs. "warm"?

123rl

How widespread are the warm color temperature screens? Macrumors people are losing their minds over it.

Mine is fine. The colour balance is great. Better than my monitor and certainly better than my PSVita.

Just like mine doesn't get "unbearably" hot, wasn't destroyed when I opened it, or none of the other widespread problems that are apparently happening. I must be the luckiest person in the world

icespide

Banned
haven't noticed any major color issues with my screen. I'm going to avoid any topics about this for the next month to prevent my OCD crazy mode

mrklaw

MrArseFace

you mean how widespread is the correct colour temperature? Just go over to macrumors and tell them that the ipad 2 shipped with too cool colour temperature. i'm avoiding there right now, always a clusterfuck after a product launch

haven't noticed any major color issues with my screen. I'm going to avoid any topics about this for the next month to prevent my OCD crazy mode
Don't put it next to something with a cool temperature. I did, and I noticed it on mine. Warm temp is suppose to make the other colors truer, but it makes white yellowish. So, people hate it.

Tobor

Mine is fine. The colour balance is great. Better than my monitor and certainly better than my PSVita.

Just like mine doesn't get "unbearably" hot, wasn't destroyed when I opened it, or none of the other widespread problems that are apparently happening. I must be the luckiest person in the world

Same here. No backlight bleed either.

I did get a bad sync cable that won't charge, but I have plenty of extra cables. I'll swap this bad one out when I have time to stop by the Apple store. No biggie.

MercuryLS

Banned
The battery life on this thing is absolutely insane. It's fantastic not having to ever worry about it. You feel completely unburdened from a wall outlet, unlike a laptop where you're always connected to a wall.

the whites on my new ipad look white to me.. but I tend to prefer a warmer display.. for me, it is more pleasant to look at than a display with a colder color temperature.

Top Bottom