• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Alright, after consistent use since about 7:00-11:00 last night, and 11:00-4:00 today, I'd say the battery holds up. Started at 80% started charging at 21%. Let's see how long it takes to charge. Last I checked, after 45 minutes, we got about 15%

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Took this with the new camera:

oc5xb.png

That set on the bottom left looks awesome.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Man, the difference going from my first gen ipad to the new one is just amazing. I can switch between a game and the internet and not have to restart each program each time? /blown away. I imagine the 2 can do this as well.

mrkgoo

So a couple things - I keep hearing that some iPad 2 cases don't work any more, regarding the auto on/off. Did they move the magnets?

What every happened to the reports of a slightly different camera position and/or the more 'slanted' edges?

Also, with the iPad battery at 70% higher capacity, it makes me think about the fact that Apple could've made an iPad 2 with a 17 hour battery life :p I know, I know, prices for the tech would've been different a year ago, but more importantly, I'm certain the Apple engineers considered the path for battery tech and life for the next few years since the beginning of the iPad, and saw that making battery last 10 hours is sufficient for most users while giving adequate room for retaining that with the increase of the tech energy-consumption.

Just noticed that the left side of my screen (held portrait, home button on the bottom) is a bit warmer/greener than the rest of it. It's most noticeable on white backgrounds - loading up nytimes.com, it's like the whole sidebar from World, US., and down is affected.

Bah, not sure if this is worth exchanging over, though it is probably going to bother me now.

A warm screen isn't terrible if it's uniformly so. What you're describing is why so many people are concerned. Different areas of the screen should not be different shades of white/yellow. I'll be taking mine back for this very reason.

Anyone else's scrolling in the music app really terrible and jerky? With playlists selected its extremely noticeable while scrolling.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Quick basic question: The AT&T WiFi+4G model is locked to the carrier, and there's no legit way of unlocking it right away, correct? I'd like to buy it as a gift and ship it to a friend, and I'd like to know my options.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm surprised Apple doesn't add a fee when you ship back an open iPad for return. I decided I wanted a Verizon LTE model due to the added hotspot functionality so an hour ago I dropped into BB and picked one up. Now I just gotta ship this wifi model back.

Returned my 64GB WiFi model and grabbed a 4G Verizon model instead. Set up was a breeze and now I really feel like I've made a dramatic leap forward over my first gen model.

.hacked

Grabed a black 16gb wifi at best buy, no line just sold out of white. She loves it now I get to eBay the kindle fire I got her for xmas.

When it comes to apple products I don't mind the trouble of ebaying old tech.

Ordered her this case for $20 on amazon:

51xNAD7e-BL.jpg

Karud

Are there any leaked pictures for upcoming Speck iPad Cases? I'm using one on my iPad 1 and it feels really good and protected.

Other: Can I use iPad 2 Dodo Cases with the new iPad? I don't want to order in the US and Amazon.de is selling some iPad 2 Dodo Cases.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
is there a dependable and fairly updated list of must-haveish ipad apps? didn't see anything in the OP, but looking for stuff that adds value over my smartphone. already picked up several games.

iavi

is there a dependable and fairly updated list of must-haveish ipad apps? didn't see anything in the OP, but looking for stuff that adds value over my smartphone. already picked up several games.

There's this thread if you're into music production.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413499

As soon as I grab mine, I'm getting everything in there.

As for the rest, I'll echo your request. It'd be nice to know of some apps that really take advantage of the size/couldn't be done on a phone.

I thought the ipad 3 was unable to charge while in use while plugged in, i'm watching the twitch.tv app while it's hooked to my mac for dev work but it's gone up 1% on the battery! lol. only taken like 20 minutes.

Picked up a 64 GB, wi-fi, white iPad yesterday. I had a 16 GB, AT&T, iPad 2 which I was able to get about $275 for from a family member, so it didn't hurt as much as it could have.

Definitely not a necessary upgrade, but the screen is pretty awesome.

I thought the ipad 3 was unable to charge while in use while plugged in, i'm watching the twitch.tv app while it's hooked to my mac for dev work but it's gone up 1% on the battery! lol. only taken like 20 minutes.

Depends on how you're charging and what you're doing on the iPad. Mine was charging just fine, albeit on the slow side while plugged into my MacBook Air earlier today.

Friend

can anyone tell me what the best video player is for playing content locally? I've tried Video Stream and Cinexplayer and have had mixed results.

mhayze

So I've had my new iPad for two days now, sitting beside my now trusty iPad 2. Lots of highs and lows.

• High: Screen is spectacularly sharp. I knew it would be great, but I am still shocked. It should be made clear that I am a resolution and DPI whore, and love high DPI screens. I have a laptop with a 1080p 15" screen and thought that was crazy, and a 2560x1440 27" screen, but this takes the cake. In its own way its more impressive than the iPhone 4 was at the time.
    -
  • Low: It's heavier. Not too heavy, but holding it for 20 minutes, it's noticeably heavier. Which makes you think about the fact that you're carrying it, which makes you put it down and turn it off sooner. Which is bad
    or maybe good?
    -
  • High: Infinity Blade II. (this link only makes sense if you look at it on a 1080p or better screen, or the iPad 2 screen). Hopefully this is a taste of things to come.
    -
  • Low: Battery runs down faster. Maybe I need to tweak stuff, but first impression is the battery is running down faster.
    -
  • High: 4G is awesome. There are enough times when I 'made do' with static content on my iPad 2 instead of the usual internet-connected reading, social apps and streaming media that I prefer to use my iPad time on. Now there is less of that. Which is good. Also, hotspot.
    -
  • Low: Data plans cost money :( - I know, no one twisted my arm and made me get one, but I figured I could always turn it off if I don't end up using it. But it's cool, so I probably will keep using it. And paying.
    -
  • High: iBooks in HD. Much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, better. OK this is a rehash of the resolution whore line above, but I'm recounting the roller-coaster of emotions this thing has provoked.
    -
  • Low: Slowness of 3rd party reader apps. Zinio, and every 3rd party reading app (especially PDF readers) are SLOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooow. Really effin slow. I can't even emphasive how annoyingly, unusably slow they are when reading magazines. Like you can see it drawing squares in slow motion in the PDF apps slow, and Zinio (best of the bunch of 3rd party apps) still does this crappy two-pass draw where the picture is first fuzzy then slowly gets sharper. It's like interlaced JPEG or GIF downloads from the dawn of the internets. Clearly, Apple saved the one feature that makes retina resolutions usable - a faster CPU (not GPU) - for next year. ARGH.
    -
  • Low: Battery gets hot. Eek.
    -
  • High: Neogaf (via secondapp) looks great :)

I'm sure there are some well, duh, -inducing items in this list, but for better or worse, those are the ups and downs so far.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm surprised Apple doesn't add a fee when you ship back an open iPad for return. I decided I wanted a Verizon LTE model due to the added hotspot functionality so an hour ago I dropped into BB and picked one up. Now I just gotta ship this wifi model back.

They used to have a restocking fee. They decided it wa better for customer service to remove it. People love their apple products.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
There's this thread if you're into music production.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413499

As soon as I grab mine, I'm getting everything in there.

As for the rest, I'll echo your request. It'd be nice to know of some apps that really take advantage of the size/couldn't be done on a phone.

I looked up a bunch. Seems to be mostly the same 10-15 apps tbh. Flipboard, Infinity Blade, Instapaper, HBO Go, Mint.com. I'm probably missing a couple. Hm.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Only underwhelming thing about the new iPad so far is the crazy charge time. My 2 would charge from almost empty to full in an hour, this one went up like 15% in that time.

While I have been using it it hasn't gone up at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I looked up a bunch. Seems to be mostly the same 10-15 apps tbh. Flipboard, Infinity Blade, Instapaper, HBO Go, Mint.com. I'm probably missing a couple. Hm.

What games do you already have, or have earmarked?
My board games folder includes
- hey that's my fish HD
- boggle (better than the physical game IMO)
- quoridor
- ticket to ride
- forbidden island
- carcassone obviously
- blokus HD
- piktureka
- pathology hd
- samurai
- neuroshima hex

Then for other apps
- Netflix
- plex
- buzz player hd (wanted a video player that supported samba shares)
- air video. Uses a server running on your pc to transcode if needed.
- star walk and/or solar walk
- Iteleport for iPad. Perfect remote desktop app if you have a mac, doesn't need any server software running
- good reader
- tweet bot
- flipboard
- zinio (although using this a little less now that more of my magazines have separate apps)
- early edition 2 (like flipboard but more news focused)
- Dropbox
- overdrive media console, let's you borrow ebooks from your local library

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Slowness of 3rd party reader apps. Zinio, and every 3rd party reading app (especially PDF readers) are SLOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooow. Really effin slow. I can't even emphasive how annoyingly, unusably slow they are when reading magazines. Like you can see it drawing squares in slow motion in the PDF apps slow, and Zinio (best of the bunch of 3rd party apps) still does this crappy two-pass draw where the picture is first fuzzy then slowly gets sharper. It's like interlaced JPEG or GIF downloads from the dawn of the internets. Clearly, Apple saved the one feature that makes retina resolutions usable - a faster CPU (not GPU) - for next year. ARGH.

Does iBooks also behave so badly with PDFs? If not then there is hope that updates will improve other apps. Edge magazine looks so good that I'll forgive it the mosaic rendering for a little while. I guess if you have to cpu decode 4x more pixels it will be slower, but that should be offloaded onto the GPU if possible

I reluctantly bought the Targus Vuscape case(for 3rd Gen) from bestbuy last night.
And well, I really like it.

Its fairly slim and no frills, but its snaps on the iPad leaving the bezel free. The fit is fantastic.

Its supports three viewing angles, has all the cutouts you would expect and also has a circle cutout on the back of the center so everyone knows its an iPad. The packaging claims magnetic on/off but the magnet in mine is too weak but it doesnt bother me.

I think its a really good fit for the new iPad and would recommend it.

giga

Does iBooks also behave so badly with PDFs? If not then there is hope that updates will improve other apps. Edge magazine looks so good that I'll forgive it the mosaic rendering for a little while. I guess if you have to cpu decode 4x more pixels it will be slower, but that should be offloaded onto the GPU if possible
iBooks works great with PDFs.

I spent about an hour last night trying to convince my mom not to return her new iPad because she didn't like the new tab system in Safari. Apparently, she never updated her iPad 2 to iOS 5.0 so she was used to switching between browser pages with the old menu of nine different windows. I was successful thankfully, it would've been completely trivial to return her iPad over something so stupid.

Anyway, I'm so conflicted right now about buying one for myself. The screen is so amazingly sharp and I'd love to carry it with me to my classes, but it's an Apple product and I don't ever want to have to deal with iTunes again. I want to get an Android tablet but none of them are as amazing as this :(

cube444

Hi guys. iPad newbie here and would like to know where I can find e-books in other languages like Greek, Italian, Portugeuse etc.

Top Bottom