• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Teddman

iBooks works great with PDFs.

Try a free app, PDFMate. It's the only PDF reader that allows you to smooth scroll DOWN a PDF as you turn pages, not side to side, and lock the zoom level across all pages so you don't drift horizontally as you scroll down.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The screen has a weird vsync thing going on. If you scroll up and down really quick, the left edge of the screen is noticably ahead of the right. Were the previous iPads like that too?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I spent about an hour last night trying to convince my mom not to return her new iPad because she didn't like the new tab system in Safari. Apparently, she never updated her iPad 2 to iOS 5.0 so she was used to switching between browser pages with the old menu of nine different windows. I was successful thankfully, it would've been completely trivial to return her iPad over something so stupid.Anyway, I'm so conflicted right now about buying one for myself. The screen is so amazingly sharp and I'd love to carry it with me to my classes, but it's an Apple product and I don't ever want to have to deal with iTunes again. I want to get an Android tablet but none of them are as amazing as this :(

I hate iTunes too. Good job I have an iPad that basically never needs to go near iTunes again. Wifi sync, download all your apps directly.

MercuryLS

Banned
I spent about an hour last night trying to convince my mom not to return her new iPad because she didn't like the new tab system in Safari. Apparently, she never updated her iPad 2 to iOS 5.0 so she was used to switching between browser pages with the old menu of nine different windows. I was successful thankfully, it would've been completely trivial to return her iPad over something so stupid.Anyway, I'm so conflicted right now about buying one for myself. The screen is so amazingly sharp and I'd love to carry it with me to my classes, but it's an Apple product and I don't ever want to have to deal with iTunes again. I want to get an Android tablet but none of them are as amazing as this :(

You don't need iTunes. iCloud has made iTunes practically irrelevant for me.

mhayze

Does iBooks also behave so badly with PDFs? If not then there is hope that updates will improve other apps. Edge magazine looks so good that I'll forgive it the mosaic rendering for a little while. I guess if you have to cpu decode 4x more pixels it will be slower, but that should be offloaded onto the GPU if possible

iBooks is better as far as speed goes, but it has several fatal flaws for PDF reading - no double tap to zoom, and if you set a zoom level, it doesn't keep it when you turn the page. Also, in landscape mode, it defaults to a full page view (i.e. 50% of the screen is unused.) You have to pinch to zoom on every page. And it's still slower than the iPad 2 - you can see the same two pass as on Zinio, just faster. It doesn't even default to side by side page view in landscape. Overall, it's worse than several 3rd party PDF readers, except for speed.

It's a very good ebook reader, but not for PDFs / magazines.

hirokazu

I reluctantly bought the Targus Vuscape case(for 3rd Gen) from bestbuy last night.
And well, I really like it.

Its fairly slim and no frills, but its snaps on the iPad leaving the bezel free. The fit is fantastic.

Its supports three viewing angles, has all the cutouts you would expect and also has a circle cutout on the back of the center so everyone knows its an iPad. The packaging claims magnetic on/off but the magnet in mine is too weak but it doesnt bother me.

I think its a really good fit for the new iPad and would recommend it.

I got the same one. I quite like it overall, but the magnets are shit and you have to position it just right for them to work. Obviously they never tested it before taking it to market, possibly just repackaged the iPad 2 version.

Anyway, it's going back to the store today. We'll see if an exchanged one will work better or not.

hirokazu

The screen has a weird vsync thing going on. If you scroll up and down really quick, the left edge of the screen is noticably ahead of the right. Were the previous iPads like that too?

I haven't noticed this on iPad, but my iPhone 4 does this on landscape sometimes.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
The yellow tint on my iPad seems to only be at the top of the screen (when held in vertical mode) and slowly fades to a more natural white at around mid screen. Is this how it is for others?

giga

Try a free app, PDFMate. It's the only PDF reader that allows you to smooth scroll DOWN a PDF as you turn pages, not side to side, and lock the zoom level across all pages so you don't drift horizontally as you scroll down.
Just tried it--finally a third party PDF app that doesn't look total shit! That said, it's also rendering PDFs slowly square by square like described before. Really odd--maybe these apps are using the same engine or haven't been updated for 5.1?

iBooks and Dropbox render PDFs fine, so it can't be solely a hardware problem.

Edit: Tried it on my 4S, and it does the same block by block rendering, but it's not as slow. Gotta be their PDF engine.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What games do you already have, or have earmarked?
My board games folder includes

That's an awesome list, thanks man. Was just going to post something in BGG asking for pretty much precisely this. One thing I'm really excited for is to just throw all FAQs, guides, etc. into a folder. God that will be amazing to have handy so easily.

AndTAR

To those of you who have the Maroo Moko case: is it worth that price tag? I'm kinda hooked on its design, but the price is almost $85 over here. Is the build quality in person actually high enough to warrant ~3 times the expense of other folio cases?

As a very happy and doting Wifi iPad 2 owner I am failing to resist

verizon-4g-lte.jpg

I have grown to dislike owning this 'magical' device that only works to its fullest potential at home or at work. I want to open up with those 4 gees and use this device to it's fullest potential.

Ugh... must resist. Trying to save for a Europe trip this summer...

must resist.....

Alex

I sure don't have any yellow tint on mine. The color temp is more of a low warm than the cool of the last, but that's fine, most screen calibration calls for that anyway.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I've been seeing on the Apple forums that the tint usually fades away after a while? Is that true or are they just being blind fanboys?

icespide

Banned
I've been seeing on the Apple forums that the tint usually fades away after a while? Is that true or are they just being blind fanboys?

it's unlikely. I'm going to give myself a week to get out of apple new gadget OCD mode and see if I get used to it. I'd hate to get it exchanged for a new one with potentially more problems

In the case of iPhones before, there was some yellowing as some of them shipped before the adhesive between the glass and screen had fully cured. It faded over a few days.

That's what I'm wondering also. I wans something that won't slide around.

I wanna do this but how do I watch it? Apple trailers app doesn't allow me to choose the resolution.

I downloaded the 1080p trailer on YouTube (mp4 format) using a Firefox extension then uploaded it on Dropbox
I'm now downloading the mp4 trailer on my iPad

hirokazu

So I enables wireles syncing in iTunes. I'm now plugged in to the wall. How do I start syncing? I dont see my iPad showing up on iTunes on my laptop.....

I mentioned this many pages ago, my iPad doesn't show up in iTunes and Wi-Fi sync from Settings doesn't work. I have to plug it into the computer for it to show up. Maybe I should reinstall iTunes.

SeanR1221

So decided to order an Apple TV to go with my new iPad. Only cost me .17 after a gift card and RZ credit at Best Buy.

besides Netflix and mirroring, not sure what I'll do with it. I mostly buy Blu Rays and rent movies from Red Box.

Some people have talked about ripping their Blus here, but I'd need to buy an external Blu drive for my iMac, and aren't those pricey?

The yellow tint on my iPad seems to only be at the top of the screen (when held in vertical mode) and slowly fades to a more natural white at around mid screen. Is this how it is for others?

This is what I see also. And no it is not normal.

That's blind fanboyism. Learn to live with it or exchange it and risk getting worse. I went through this with the iMac. Not fun and eventually Apple said it was acceptable. To them maybe, but not to me so I got a full refund. When you scroll a page it shouldn't appear as if pictures and text are going in and out of shadows. There's definitely something off about my screen, and it appears with others as well.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I guess I'll keep my eye on it and look at other peoples iPads that get them later this year or something. If the issue is not prevalent in theirs, then I'm returning mine for sure.

same
its weird I tried loading a black picture and there is little light leakage. I loaded a white only picture the yellow tint is minimal, but its apparent on secondapp.com/neogaf thread

same
its weird I tried loading a black picture and there is little light leakage. I loaded a white only picture the yellow tint is minimal, but its apparent on secondapp.com/neogaf thread

Off topic a little but I find the Secondapps neogaf app completely unnecessary on this iPad. For all intents and purposes this thing is pretty much as good as my laptop loading real web pages. The main issue here being spoiler text, but I just highlight it, copy it, and paste it and I see what it was.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there a file-management or PDF-reader app that lets you make files on your PC and then have those sync with your iPad?

Might be a very basic question just this is one of the big things I wanna do and some of these apps are like 5 bucks and it's not totally clear afaict. I guess Dropbox can do this (never really used that much) I'd just rather have it all local on my PC and iPad.

Off topic a little but I find the Secondapps neogaf app completely unnecessary on this iPad. For all intents and purposes this thing is pretty much as good as my laptop loading real web pages. The main issue here being spoiler text, but I just highlight it, copy it, and paste it and I see what it was.

For me it's about making the forum touch-friendly. The forum has many small links that are not so easy to hit, when you don't zoom in.

hirokazu

Yeah, it's mostly designed for iPhone viewing. An iPad version would be pretty sweet.

I like it. It highlights my post, embedded YouTube vids, and no ads

Check the iOS game thread in the gaming section.

Is there a file-management or PDF-reader app that lets you make files on your PC and then have those sync with your iPad?

Might be a very basic question just this is one of the big things I wanna do and some of these apps are like 5 bucks and it's not totally clear afaict. I guess Dropbox can do this (never really used that much) I'd just rather have it all local on my PC and iPad.

Is this your first iOS device since your iPod touch? Carc is amazing on iPad, by the way.

jambo

Is anyone else having issues with their iPad 2 cases not turning their iPad 3 on and off when they open and close it?

Top Bottom