• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

epmode

Is the new iPad able to keep more than one tab in Safari active and running at all times? On the iPad 1, everytime I open a second tab to look at stuff, the contents on the first tab would be lost, forcing me to wait for a reload when I click back to the first tab. How many tabs can the new iPad typically handle without having this problem occur?

I just opened 6 tabs to unique sites and switching back and forth between tabs doesn't force a reload. That extra RAM is useful!

edit: Yeah, like the guy before me just posted, I went back and tested with the max of 9 tabs and there were no page reloads.

hyp

I mentioned this many pages ago, my iPad doesn't show up in iTunes and Wi-Fi sync from Settings doesn't work. I have to plug it into the computer for it to show up. Maybe I should reinstall iTunes.

it needs to be plugged into a power source to sync through wifi.

Zeth

KYF7N.jpg

This picture magnifies the effect significantly. It was barely perceptible to the naked eye, let alone in actual use (this is max brightness in a pitch black room). The larger white area at the top isn't bleed, I think it has something to do with the angle of display or camera. Absolutely invisible in use though so I doubt I'll return it. My iPad 2 had bleed that was visible at average brightness watching letter boxed video and it didn't bother me much.

Spruchy

I know some of you liked it but Infinity Blade 2 looked booty (bad) on the new iPad IMO. Really highlighted textures and stuff that were obviously not made for this sort of resolution. iBooks is amazing though.

ElyrionX

I just opened 9 tabs (max in safari) switched back and forth a couple times to the app store and swiped through several pages of top apps. All tabs stayed in memory with no reloading and I opened image heavy pages and bookmarks. Pretty impressive.

I just opened 6 tabs to unique sites and switching back and forth between tabs doesn't force a reload. That extra RAM is useful!

edit: Yeah, like the guy before me just posted, I went back and tested with the max of 9 tabs and there were no page reloads.

Thanks. Now, I'm really tempted to upgrade.

I hated browsing on my iPad 1 due to checker boarding and the fact that it couldn't keep a tab in memory. This new iPad is so much better, and I assume the iPad 2 is the same. Other than the inability to view Flash items, I love this browsing experience.

Do it.

I still own the OG model and never bothered with actual internet browsing (except for the NeoGAF mobile app) and this new iPad is amazing. Everything finally works like it's supposed to be, the browser even loads The Verge and allows me to actually browse the page.

Do it.

LCfiner

I hated browsing on my iPad 1 due to checker boarding and the fact that it couldn't keep a tab in memory. This new iPad is so much better, and I assume the iPad 2 is the same. Other than the inability to view Flash items, I love this browsing experience.

Yeah iPad 2 was about the same. That's why it felt like such a good upgrade over the first iPad if you did a lot of browsing.

I haven't pushed iPad 3 that much with tabs but I haven't had a tab reload once since I got it Friday afternoon.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Anyone?
The AT&T WiFi+4G model is locked to the carrier, and there's no legit way of unlocking it right away, correct? I'd like to buy it as a gift and ship it to a friend, and I'd like to know my options.
Are they locked or not, and if they are can I pay a fee and unlock it right away?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Has any body noticed that tapping the screen feels different than the iPad 2? It feels like the screen has a little more give.

Came straight from the 2 and I would say it feels like there is less give.

Let my iPad drop to 0 percent earlier today, took about 5.5 hours to charge to 100percent. Not that big a deal and doesn't feel tht much slower than my ipad2, but I never really timed the twos charging time. This was with some light browsing and beaming of photos from my iPhone with iPhoto.

Also my miniot wood smart cover doesn't lock/unlock the new iPad :(

numble

Anyone?
Are they locked or not, and if they are can I pay a fee and unlock it right away?

I think they've always advertised the iPad models as unlocked. It won't work on incompatible LTE networks though (AT&T antenna doesn't accept Verizon signal or something) but it should accept compatible 3G signals fine.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I think they've always advertised the iPad models as unlocked. It won't work on incompatible LTE networks though (AT&T antenna doesn't accept Verizon signal or something) but it should accept compatible 3G signals fine.
Thanks.

cvxfreak

Ended up getting an Incase Origami Workstation and a Wireless Apple Keyboard. Definitely doubles as both a functional stand and as a case for the keyboard.

I've decided never to use the home button anymore after forcing myself to get used to the mutitouch gestures, including swipe up for multitouch bar, left/right for app switching, and pinch to home screen. I really wish it was 3 fingers though instead of 4, or at least as an option, would make it so much easier and less awkward.

fse

I got a 64gb WiFi iPad but now am thinking of switching it with a Verizon LTE version. What do you guys think.

I've decided never to use the home button anymore after forcing myself to get used to the mutitouch gestures, including swipe up for multitouch bar, left/right for app switching, and pinch to home screen. I really wish it was 3 fingers though instead of 4, or at least as an option, would make it so much easier and less awkward.
I usually just swipe between apps with my four fingers, and use all five fingers for getting to the home screen, just feels awkward otherwise. Feels pretty natural that way.

Oh. This is my first iPad. Never payed too much attention to the specs.

If I charge with my iPhone 4's charger, it goes really slowly. If I use the charger included with the iPad it just goes slowly. Big battery. Two hours of browsing, reading, listening to music and watching two episodes of Community drained my battery 9 percent. Not bad at all.

I used to own that one, worked great with my smartcover.

Will it fit an iPad 3 with a smart cover?

Another nice sleeve I've found is from Nocase, but I am a little worried about how nimble it looks. It would be great if I had a sidebag or briefcase, but I'll be using a big bag with a gym kit etc, so I will need a bit more protection. So beautiful though!

6a012876196d5a970c014e86a06ba5970d-800wi

6a012876196d5a970c014e89d7a813970d-800wi

Rengoku

AvplayerHD struggles with 1080p mkvs on the new iPad. Playback is sluggish.

I've had no luck with avidemux as itunes refuses to sync the mp4 to the ipad because "it cant be played by the ipad".

Anyone had any luck getting 1080p mkv's?

From what I understand Apple forces devs on Appstore apps to use only the CPU to decode video, which means we probably won't see one that plays 1080p mkvs smoothly unless Apple relaxes this restriction. The alternative is to wait for the new iPad to be jailbroken, and use XBMC which supports GPU decoding.

From what I understand Apple forces devs on Appstore apps to use only the CPU to decode video, which means we probably won't see one that plays 1080p mkvs smoothly unless Apple relaxes this restriction. The alternative is to wait for the new iPad to be jailbroken, and use XBMC which supports GPU decoding.

No, AppStore apps can play any h264/mp4 in an mp4/quicktime container via hardware acceleration. Anything else has to be run through the CPU.

Will it fit an iPad 3 with a smart cover?

Another nice sleeve I've found is from Nocase, but I am a little worried about how nimble it looks. It would be great if I had a sidebag or briefcase, but I'll be using a big bag with a gym kit etc, so I will need a bit more protection. So beautiful though!
Is that just two pieces of felt stitched together with a sewn-on flap?

MickD

Twitter is beautiful.

I use it for fx manipulation in lemur for traktor.

Any other standout apps? Need a game that really shines on this mug

I have had it 24 hours and am finally on 44%.. It's just a big hot battery.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The yellow tint on my iPad seems to only be at the top of the screen (when held in vertical mode) and slowly fades to a more natural white at around mid screen. Is this how it is for others?

Angle of view? Are you holding it so the top is at a shallow angle relative to the bottom? The screen does seem to lose brightness quickly off angle

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmmm think I'm gonna wait until people decide what the best PDF reader is. :p

I like good reader. Don't have any comparisons with other apps for PDF speed etc, but I like how it can easily access your Dropbox, browse to rule with its built in browser to download files etc.

I use mine to hold all my Lego instructions, but need to look at your suggestion about board game instructions/guides. That'd be a real timesaver

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the new iPad able to keep more than one tab in Safari active and running at all times? On the iPad 1, everytime I open a second tab to look at stuff, the contents on the first tab would be lost, forcing me to wait for a reload when I click back to the first tab. How many tabs can the new iPad typically handle without having this problem occur?

Yes, infinitely better than iPad 1 (didnt have iPad 2 so can't compare that). Keeps tabs cached, even when you're in other apps (although playing something big like infinity blade II will cause it to refresh them). Also, I just pressed back in the browser about 5 times and the pages appeared immediately, so it looks like it caches your history tool

Top Bottom