• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

mhayze

The Daily is a really nice news app. I am considering subscribing to it.
I like the Daily as well, but eventually decided not to subscribe, mainly because of Flipboard, which is free.

Does the new iPad feel overall faster than the 2 or even the 1? I've asked earlier about it being able to handle multi-tabs browsing and seems like it's a huge step up from the iPad 1. But how about the loading of graphically intensive pages? The iPad 1 takes forever to do that. How much better is the new iPad?
It does not feel faster than the iPad 2 to me, but faster than the iPad 1. It's got the same exact CPU, faster GPU. It takes more than a faster GPU to deal with the extra content IMHO. My acid test is my large Netflix DVD queue through the browser, and that's still dog slow.

Anyone know of any app let you watch flash web content. Movies tv etc?
I use Splashtop Desktop when I'm at home - fast, 100% compatible (since I'm just running Firefox on my desktop).

I tried this and it wouldnt start the process and gave me the following error:

"The file will not be compatible with the xbox 360 as it contains too many reference frames. Cancelling conversion"

Too many reference frames?! How do i fix that?

You could try Air Video. It can remux / re-encode on the fly if your PC is up to it, and it lets you pin videos for offline watching (i.e. re-encode and save).

Please tell me the Edge magazine app just needs to be updated so it actually operates like it used to, the image redraw is terrible.

In fact, most of the things I want to use this for aren't ready for the new resolution yet, kind of a bummer...

Same here :(

Ugh. The replacement iPad I picked up has a little less light bleed (but still has some), and now with a little yellow tint along the top left.

I think I'll wait a couple of weeks before exchanging it again. Maybe the yellow tint will disappate by then anyway.

Please tell me the Edge magazine app just needs to be updated so it actually operates like it used to, the image redraw is terrible.

In fact, most of the things I want to use this for aren't ready for the new resolution yet, kind of a bummer...

It's only been 3 days since the thing hit.

I'm anxious for all my apps to update also but it's going much faster already than it did when the 4 came out.

I'm excited to see what Wired mag looks like "retinafied"

Phreaker

Hey GAF,

I currently own a 1st Generation iPad 64GB Wifi and 3G, and I was wondering if I should trade it in, or sell it? If so, how much should I sell it for? The iPad is in perfect condition with a screen protector already applied. By the way, where is the best place to trade in an iPad? Thanks!

See what they are going for on eBay? That's what I did and sold my 64GB iPad (1) WiFi to a friend for $300 last week.

How are viewing web pages on the iPad? I hate having to pinch and zoom to read text on my iPhone so the ability to view webpages like I would on a laptop is one of the reasons I'm getting an iPad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Edge just updated for retina support. Seems PDF rendering in several apps isn't great. Not sure how edge content is presented, whether its PDF or simple scans - issues download pretty quickly.

Zeth

I see some people here exchanged their iPads and claimed that their new screen was not as yellow. Is this true? I thought all the screens were (equally) more warm in general (than most are used to).

I'm now wondering this too. Mine is yellow in the same place as yours. Top 1/4 of the screen in portrait mode. Not angle-related. I thought the glue problems were more like random splotches in previous devices.

easel from a craft store

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How are viewing web pages on the iPad? I hate having to pinch and zoom to read text on my iPhone so the ability to view webpages like I would on a laptop is one of the reasons I'm getting an iPad.

iPad 1 is great compared to an iPhone as you can see so much more of the page without zooming. But it has limited memory so tabs can reload a lot which gets annoying

iPad 2 has more memory and is faster, So even better. But for very busy websites with small text, it can look a little fuzzy, needing to be zoomed in again

iPad 3 has the retinaz so even tiny text is readable

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What's with all these retarded reviews out there?

http://www.businessinsider.com/and-now-finally-well-get-the-truth-about-the-new-ipad-what-do-normal-people-think-2012-3

"Of course, I'm still happy with my iPhone 3GS"
"I glanced at the two iPads for a second or two, and, frankly, I couldn't tell the difference."

WTF, It hurts being on the bleeding edge of techology

I went to the store yesterday to get a MacBook Air for the missus, and I tried it out. What I learned was that I am perfectly happy with my iPad 2. I admire the 'million pixels more' advertising - it wouldn't sound so good if they said, 'a third more pixels than your HDTV!' but the screen does look nice.

Anyway, it looks badass, but like the Luddites you describe above, there's nothing super compelling in there to make me switch. If I had an iPad 1, it would be a no brainer.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I like that the app "split screen" is now usable!

It was the first app I bought for the original iPad, now I can load 2 web pages at the same time in landscape and be able to read everything without the need to zoom in, it's retina ready since all it does is load 2 instances of safari

I understand completely.
Like you said it grew on me immediately after snapping my new iPad.

I just want to let people know that this is a solid case baring the magnet issue, so if you can live with that I would recommend the Vuscape.

The issue is that apple's magnet sensor in the new ipad is polarity sensitive.. the one in the ipad 2 was not.. so depending on which way the factory worker in china installed the battery in the case, it will either work or not work.

here's an illustration -

http://markshangout.com/blog/2012/3/17/ipad-3-smart-cover-sleepwake-feature-not-working.html

Seems like a pretty trivial change for apple to make.. I wonder if they had a reason behind it..

ido

I went to the store yesterday to get a MacBook Air for the missus, and I tried it out. What I learned was that I am perfectly happy with my iPad 2. I admire the 'million pixels more' advertising - it wouldn't sound so good if they said, 'a third more pixels than your HDTV!' but the screen does look nice.

Anyway, it looks badass, but like the Luddites you describe above, there's nothing super compelling in there to make me switch. If I had an iPad 1, it would be a no brainer.

I have the iPad 3 and I agree with this.

This is the first tablet me or my wife have ever owned and we got her the 2 and me the 3. Yes, the screen is better on the 3... but her iPad 2 seems just as quick, and unless I'm comparing the two side-by-side I don't really notice much of a difference. Yes, I know the text image quality is far superior on the 3, but I have no trouble reading anything on her 2.

I like them both... but god DAMN this charging.

HoTHiTTeR

Ended up getting a 32GB, tossed a few dozen apps on, 10 albums, 3 movies and some photos....11gb. I think gaf overstated the retina app size explosion. Going to exchange down into a 16gb later today.

Ended up getting a 32GB, tossed a few dozen apps on, 10 albums, 3 movies and some photos....11gb. I think gaf overstated the retina app size explosion. Going to exchange down into a 16gb later today.

so you got it up to 11GB on the first day...and you think that limiting your ceiling to 3GB-4GB of space by exchanging it for a 16GB is a good idea?

hmmm.

HoTHiTTeR

so you got it up to 11GB on the first day...and you think that limiting your ceiling to 3GB-4GB of space by exchanging it for a 16GB is a good idea?

hmmm.

Definitely not my first day; I've owned an iPad since their release. This 11gb is even pushing it...I installed several games (2.5-3gb) i probably won't even play, just to bloat the number a little in case I do. On my iPad 2 I averaged about 6-8gb used.

Definitely not my first day; I've owned an iPad since their release. This 11gb is even pushing it...I installed several games (2.5-3gb) i probably won't even play, just to bloat the number a little in case I do. On my iPad 2 I averaged about 6-8gb used.
Most apps and games aren't even updated with new assets for the screen.
easel from a craft store

I want a dock to replace my DIY stand and not get another one.

Yeah. I upgraded from my original iPad and the difference is significant enough to make me happy but I wouldn't necessarily recommend moving up from a 2.

Also, I kept my OG and really love having 2 iPads in the house (3 if you include my girlfriend's). My old one is now my dedicated "workhorse" studio iPad. I'll be using it mainly for reference photos while painting at the easel or working with Sketchbook Pro or Artrage on my new one. Super handy. The iPad has become irreplacable to me as a digital sketchbook and being able to do digital oil paint studies anywhere is amazing. I fully intend on adding a 3rd iPad in another 2 years and hopefully by then there will be pressure sensitivity for folks like myself.

A new model every second generation (at the minimum) is the way to go if you ask me.

I'm driving myself insane. I must have watched 100 youtube case review videos by now. So many fucking options. Can't decide if I just want the smart cover+ back protection or a 3rd party case with full protection. I want something very light/thin, with smartcover standing options and auto sleep/wake functionality.

Circle T

So, after taking a look, I have 1 spot where there is some light bleed. It isn't noticeable in normal use, so I'm not really concerned with it... for now. Is this something that gets worse over time, or will this spot be the only one, and not get any bigger?

hNYqE.jpg

A pleasurable experience with the retina display. No need to pinch and zoom at all. Small text is crisp.

So, after taking a look, I have 1 spot where there is some light bleed. It isn't noticeable in normal use, so I'm not really concerned with it... for now. Is this something that gets worse over time, or will this spot be the only one, and not get any bigger?

hNYqE.jpg

I had that with my first unit (among other issues). I'm not sure how it will develop over time but I didn't want to take a risk so I exchanged it. It might be totally fine.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

That's probably the best part about the new iPad... the visual clarity of everything, but text especially. Browsing GAF is glorious with the web app. The text is super crisp and everything is just so clean.

Circle T

I had that with my first unit (among other issues). I'm not sure how it will develop over time but I didn't want to take a risk so I exchanged it. It might be totally fine.

I haven't been closely following this thread, so apologies if this has been discussed. Is Apple just replacing these (light bleed) with no fuss if I were to take this to the Apple Store? I'll probably stop by this afternoon if that's the case. Like you said, I'd rather get a good unit now, and not have to worry about it getting worse with time.

I haven't been closely following this thread, so apologies if this has been discussed. Is Apple just replacing these (light bleed) with no fuss if I were to take this to the Apple Store? I'll probably stop by this afternoon if that's the case. Like you said, I'd rather get a good unit now, and not have to worry about it getting worse with time.

Mine had a very yellow screen, significant light bleed and the issue you have (dude must have been in a hurry when he/she built it). I just said I wanted to exchange it (ordered mine online so I was talking to customer service). They just called a local Apple store and had another one waiting for me, no problem.

I opened the replacement in the store and got it all set up (at their request to see if everything was fine with the new one). They were pretty cool about it.

TKR92

Based on my experience, they are cool about that. No problem for me.

No fuss.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.

Yea this is the exact same thing I decided on after playing with it. I will wait for the next one, but those that were with the original iPad, this is a no brainer.

Come to think of it, I don't know what I would need to make me upgrade. At least right now. I would say 4g with cheaper data plans would entice me to jump to a non wifi iPad . That's it.

TKR92

just received maroo case.

Overall build quality is quite good. However, the smart cover function is kinda hit and miss.

6993562157_cfe566bed6.jpg
6847444478_4fb3c4202a.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, after the first weekend:

First impression after startup - "Yeah, cute new display."

second impression after two days of use and then returning to iPad 1st gen. and PC: "Why is everything so fuzzy all of a sudden???"

awesome display, nice machine.

MercuryLS

Banned

Many of the apps you've downloaded aren't retina yet, and when they are upgraded they will take up more room. I think 16gb is fine if you don't keep a lot of media stored on it. I've got my music streaming through iTunes Match and use Nexflix and Airvideo for movies. 16gb is fine for me.

So, after the first weekend:

First impression after startup - "Yeah, cute new display."

second impression after two days of use and then returning to iPad 1st gen. and PC: "Why is everything so fuzzy all of a sudden???"

awesome display, nice machine.

Yeah, the new iPad does ruin other displays for you...i'm on my MBA right now, and text looks pixellated now.

Vyer

Damn, it might be harder to find a case than an iPad. BB, Apple Store, Target, even Walmart....very limited w/smart covers or nothing at all. >:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If a bunch of these case manufacturers fucked up the magnet placing, did Apple change the positioning and not tell the case manufacturers?

AndTAR

just received maroo case.

Overall build quality is quite good. However, the smart cover function is kinda hit and miss.
Looks pretty great on those pictures, actually. I see you have the case in book mode-folding on the last picture, does that work well in your opinion? Is the weight increase enough to make one-handed holding uncomfortable, does it fit well into the hand?

Top Bottom