• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

dwebo

Just spent two hours watching streaming videos off the Internet, and the iPad isn't even warm. I'm not sure what everyone else is seeing but to this point heat is not an issue with my iPad. By the way I dictated this entire post. Except for all the yellow, I am loving this purchase.
Turn it up to a high screen brightness and it will probably get warm. I didn't realize this when I complained about it the other night.

I have a Verizon 4g iPad. I haven't signed up for a data plan on it yet since I haven't had any need to take it out of my house. On Verizon's website it says my address is cover by LTE, but for some reason when my iPad connects to Verizon's network, it shows 3G in the upper left and not LTE? Is this because I haven't purchased a data plan on it, or could there be something wrong with my iPad?

DJ_Lae

Anyone have their Maroo case ship?

Mine hasn't even been processed yet - I suppose I'm not surprised given that I put my order in late during their 50% off sale.

And I won't even have my iPad until tomorrow as UPS sucks.

mrkgoo

So it's ok to charge my iPhone with the iPad charger? It won't ruin the battery any quicker or anything?

I know I do.

There used to be a bug in my iPhone 3G that when charged on an iPad charger, it would charge, but not update the battery icon.

E fixed that though.

Teddman

Why aren't there any iPad stands that have adjustable height to elevate it up to eye level?

It's so much easier on the neck to stare straight ahead when watching movies or reading comics. The best I could find are these two stands...

One's an art easel that works well for iPad:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=999012

The other is the Vue:
http://vue-products.com/

Neither's perfect though. I'd prefer one that has customizable adjustment up to a foot above the base.

MasLegio

Banned
welp, the replacement one will probably be going back:

goingback.jpg

pretty easy to see why. I'll give it a few days to see if the yellow coloring that you see there in the bottom left disappears. If not...well...yea.

Fortunately swapping out iPads is quick and I'm only abou 20 minutes from an Apple Store.

yes there is a giant white line across the ipad, nothing else noticeable in that photo

TKR92

Anyone have their Maroo case ship?

Mine hasn't even been processed yet - I suppose I'm not surprised given that I put my order in late during their 50% off sale.

And I won't even have my iPad until tomorrow as UPS sucks.

Mine came at Saturday. But their website keep saying "pending"

undecided

Is there any way to default websites to zoomed out in safari (full page width)? Never bothered me on my iPad 1, but now it is so much easier to read small text, I'd rather see the full page.

Teddman

yes there is a giant white line across the ipad, nothing else noticeable in that photo

Yeah. It could be that it's just not noticeable in the photo, but friends don't let friends get overly OCD about iPad screen fidelity. From the photo, the right side actually looks worse than the highlighted area.

has anyone noticed (or has it been reported) about increased charge times?

Let it charge for about 2 hours and only got about 50% charge (from a 10% battery life start)

Not sure what it was like on the iPad 2 in similar situations, but it seemed like it should have been farther along.

undecided

Let it charge for about 2 hours and only got about 50% charge (from a 10% battery life start)

Not sure what it was like on the iPad 2 in similar situations, but it seemed like it should have been farther along.

The battery is much higher capacity than the 2. (42.5W-hr vs 25 W-hr)

The new battery is basically twice as dense as the iPad 2's. That might explain it, but I'm not all that technically minded about battery tech.

The battery is larger than the one found in iPad 2.

Yeah. It could be that it's just not noticeable in the photo, but friends don't let friends get overly OCD about iPad screen fidelity. From the photo, the right side actually looks worse than the highlighted area.

look at the picture on your iPhone if you have one. if your monitor hasn't been color calibrated, you might not see it. it's quite apparent on a color calibrated monitor, as well as on my iPhone.

edit: yea, look at it from your iphone. uncalibrated monitors ftl.

Karud

Thanks.

I'll have to see if I can find this ina store tomorrow, dont think an online order will make it in time

I'm pretty sure they also sell those in Japan if you can't find any here.

Pro-Tip: Take a extension lead with you and you wont need multiple adapters.

Uh-huh… Unless you count the huge blotch of yellow in the lower left-hand corner. Completely unacceptable and I wouldn't blame him for trading it in.

honestly, I just rebooted into Windows (where I haven't run my color calibrator) and couldn't see it either. It was clear as day in OSX (where color calibration is a constant). Seems to me that people's colors aren't calibrated properly and they may not be seeing it, so I can understand his confusion. Most laptops and monitors aren't calibrated.

That said, anyone with an iPhone (or the iPad) can open up this page and see the area just fine. It's quite clear on both devices for me. Hopefully the problem just goes away over the next few days. But if not, it'll be returned like the last.

my um, fully charged ipad3 discharged overnight (9 hours). I'm guessing the old official cover didn't shut it down? I am kind of shocked looking at it now; all flat. like wtf bro.

MasLegio

Banned
my um, fully charged ipad3 discharged overnight (9 hours). I'm guessing the old official cover didn't shut it down? I am kind of shocked looking at it now; all flat. like wtf bro.

should it not turn off automatically after x minutes?
you should set it to go to sleep after 5 minutes or something

also take a look at notification settings

or it just discharged due to some strange reason. My iPhone 4S has done it a few times, less than five.

Toki767

Seems like this thing is sold out just about everywhere in the city. I was very tempted to get one on Friday but I'm still waiting on my income tax return. How big are retina display supported apps compared to regular apps?

Zeth

look at the picture on your iPhone if you have one. if your monitor hasn't been color calibrated, you might not see it. it's quite apparent on a color calibrated monitor, as well as on my iPhone.edit: yea, look at it from your iphone. uncalibrated monitors ftl.

Hey Dreams, did you take the pic with an iPhone? What's the brightness level? I'm trying to photograph my yellow tint.

I went with a Smart Cover plus Snap Shield Secure from Belkin (iPad 2 version works fine according to Macrumors). First time I put the iPad down on a wood surface I scratched it. Was able to buff it out but the aluminum is really soft and seems like it'll scratch easily on any non smooth surface.

Anybody got some messenger bag recommendations? I'm not looking for something small and iPad specific but something with a bit of protection for the iPad and large enough to carry my work, lunch and possibly a change of clothes / shoes for the gym.

Looks like Crumpler might be a good option but I'd love to hear some other recommendations

I have the Naneu Military Ops Sierra, which is technically a camera bag, but has a removable camera liner that converts it into a regular messenger bag.

http://www.naneubags.com/products-by-series/military-ops/sierra

Can't say enough about this bag, I would recommend it to anyone.

should it not turn off automatically after x minutes?
you should set it to go to sleep after 5 minutes or something

also take a look at notification settings

or it just discharged due to some strange reason. My iPhone 4S has done it a few times, less than five.

its now currently hooked up to the pc to charge via USB. don't have my charger here.

It came alive; checked the setting etc.. and then it just powered down again. It consumes battery power >>> than the usb can feed it.

:O

gkryhewy

Posting from my new iPad. Just walked into the Apple store two blocks away (philly), they still had all the models, and I walked out ten minutes later with my white 32gb wifi. Still restoring from my launch first gen ipad, but this is a totally painless transition. Screen is glorious.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's the battery life like?I know it says 10 hours in the specs but what's it like with apps running?

Full charge this morning. Daughter playing kinectimals and various other games for far too long, then I've been on it hammering the wifi with remote desktop stuff, then reading some comics and finishing off the evening with a quick GAF catchup. Battery is on 8% now. It might not do a day long infinity blade marathon on a charge, but otherwise it's good enough that you don't really need to think about it, and that's more than enough for me.

Hey Dreams, did you take the pic with an iPhone? What's the brightness level? I'm trying to photograph my yellow tint.

I did take it with the iPhone. Brightness was probably 3/4 up on that shot. I woke up this morning and saw the yellow and at first I thought it was just my eyes in the morning. I kept looking at GAF and my eyes kept going there. Then I started spinning the tablet around with my eyes closed to see where my eyes went. it went right to that yellow area every time. Sad, but oh well.

I took the photo with my phone so that I can show it to the people at the Apple Store. It's much faster than them trying to see it under florescent lights at the store.

Thanks for mentioning this, it's exactly what I'm looking for. A thin back cover with a good cut out and a magnet to hold the smart cover.

Amazon link for the new iPad version.
looks pretty good. fairly thin too?

What's the battery life like?

I know it says 10 hours in the specs but what's it like with apps running?

On average the past few nights I've spent two hours in bed web surfing, video watching (both streaming and not), music on, book reading, game playing. Usually takes me from 100 percent down to 80%. This seems to be in line with what they advertise. I am very pleased with the battery life that I am seeing. I am also more and more pleased with dictation, which I'm using for this entire post.

Being my first tablet I have no idea what an acceptable level of bleed is, this is my screen

s45tD.jpg

As you can see there are a couple of spots there but I'm not sure what's normal

Top Bottom