• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

TKR92

May I ask how so?

Probably case by case.

You know magnets are at the edge of cover. But the overall case is little bit bigger than the iPad itself. So my guess is that the magnet does not properly contact with the iPad, when it is fully folded.

6847638346_33a7923ef5_m.jpg
6993762137_090282871e_m.jpg

6993763677_dc92f252c9_m.jpg
6993765315_a81521a773_m.jpg

TKR92

Looks pretty great on those pictures, actually. I see you have the case in book mode-folding on the last picture, does that work well in your opinion? Is the weight increase enough to make one-handed holding uncomfortable, does it fit well into the hand?

To me, it's quite bulky. But there is a strap to help holding. So it depends on each individual I guess.

6993801663_68df97e936_m.jpg

Magnus

Is anyone a first-time iPad/tablet owner as well?

I can't wait for tomorrow. I've never had the pleasure, and I knew that if this iteration was Retina, I'd have to bite.

Bought Splashtop Remote Desktop for remote access. Seems to work really good. When I play music on the PC, it doesn't come to the ipad. Instead it plays on the local machine. The box is checked to play on the ipad. Any ideas? Also, will there be an update to support new resolution?

Bought mordern Combat 3 also but I can't seem to connect to an online server?

Been downloading a ton of free apps for business and personal use. I find apps a lot more appealing to use on the ipad than the iphone. I'd say that's mainly due to the screen size and performance.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I can't wait for tomorrow. I've never had the pleasure, and I knew that if this iteration was Retina, I'd have to bite.

Yes, me. Although I have to wait a bit longer since I ordered online. Just gives me more time to find good apps I suppose.

Apple's Trailers app hasn't been updated for retina WTF?! Is there a good alternative to check out?

Ok, this is gonna sound crazy but, can someone else test this? At the very end of the Dark Knight Rises trailer at the credits card, are there 3 distinct white dots that look like dead pixels for anyone else? Noticed it last night while watching in the dark. I've done a few dead pixel tests on my unit and it seems fine. I paused the trailer at the part I mentioned and double clicked the home button to bring up the multitasking bar. The 3 pixels moved up with the screen. Gotta be a flaw in the trailer file then, no?

Ok, this is gonna sound crazy but, can someone else test this? At the very end of the Dark Knight Rises trailer at the credits card, are there 3 distinct white dots that look like dead pixels for anyone else? Noticed it last night while watching in the dark. I've done a few dead pixel tests on my unit and it seems fine. I paused the trailer at the part I mentioned and double clicked the home button to bring up the multitasking bar. The 3 pixels moved up with the screen. Gotta be a flaw in the trailer file then, no?

4 dots, far right. It's the trailer.

Searching in this app is complete shit. Come on, Apple. If you don't type out the exact name of a movie perfectly, it returns nothing. Dark Knight Rises returns nothing. The Dark Knight Rises does. Lame.

My first iPad, but I had a convertible laptop and Kindle Fire before this. The iPad is the perfect medium between the two.... while being an overall better device than both. Mind boggling really, I love it.

I really just dislike Apple's mindset of being against the stylus. I realize they are all about touching, but writing is just as natural and important as touching something. But yeah, you can get a stylus and notetaking app, but the device isn't made with that in mind.

I could just need to be enlightened though. I really prefer taking notes through writing, it helps me commit things to memory and jives with my brain better than typing does.

4 dots, far right. It's the trailer.

Searching in this app is complete shit. Come on, Apple. If you don't type out the exact name of a movie perfectly, it returns nothing. Dark Knight Rises returns nothing. The Dark Knight Rises does. Lame.

Thanks for checking! And yep, agreed on the search functionality. The "calendar" functionality is not well implemented either, IMHO.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My first iPad, but I had a convertible laptop and Kindle Fire before this. The iPad is the perfect medium between the two.... while being an overall better device than both. Mind boggling really, I love it.

Oh yeah I do own a Kindle. Will continue reading books on that. Looking forward to periodicals on the iPad though.

I'm driving myself insane. I must have watched 100 youtube case review videos by now. So many fucking options. Can't decide if I just want the smart cover+ back protection or a 3rd party case with full protection. I want something very light/thin, with smartcover standing options and auto sleep/wake functionality.

Loooool haha I was doing the same!

I just settled for a Cool Banana Bulletproof travel case and a Smart Cover combo. Love the naked feel of the iPad but need something else to protect it a little bit more

SyNapSe

I can't read anything from the Kindle app. I've uninstalled/reinstalled and downloaded the books again. It always gives me an error.

Please remove the book from your device and redownload it from your architved items.. yada yada. This sucks.

edit: got it fixed, it was due to restoring from a ipad 2 with a different name.

Got it replaced. In and out quick, with no questions asked. Opened the new one in store, and it looks good.

Unless your problem was dead pixels, issues (yellow colouds, light leak) would be impossible to tell under store lighting. you'd need a dark room for that. You'll know when you get home and have time to evaluate it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple doesn't even have an iPad version of their Store app. At least the iPhone app looks better on the iPad 3, because it's using the iPhone retina assets.

The one that pisses me off the most is Cards. Why should anyone be designing cards on such a small screen (in landscape mode only too) when an iPad is available?

But yeah the Apple Store app is kinda ridiculous. It was late getting the retina display update too; it didn't get the better graphics for weeks after the iPhone 4 was released iirc. The Apple Store app really should be mutliplatform. It boggles my mind that Apple wants it only on iPhone.

Enco

The trailers app isn't in the UK.

Yay...

For iBooks, is there a special textbooks area or is it just the usual iBooks store?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm driving myself insane. I must have watched 100 youtube case review videos by now. So many fucking options. Can't decide if I just want the smart cover+ back protection or a 3rd party case with full protection. I want something very light/thin, with smartcover standing options and auto sleep/wake functionality.

Do you care whether the bezel is covered? If you do, that reduces your choices quite a lot. Smart cover plus back cover obviously, but also the incase magazine is slim, as is the targus slim folio

In the end I bought a smart cover, and am open to suggestions for a good clear back cover, preferably something not too slippery. Also ordered a maroo case as they were on offer and I quite like thicker padded cases when reading in bed.

railGUN

Banned
Holy shit I just wirelessly synced a couple books to my iPad through iTunes without the iPad even being awake - I didn't think it would work, but I tried it anyways and voila, it syncs, wake up the iPad and there they are.

Also, anyone have anything to say about the game "Galaxy on Fire 2 HD"? I'm seriously considering buying it, it has great reviews, but some of the recent comments suggest it was crashing - I can't tell if that is because they were using an iPad 1 or 2 though, and it has been updated for retina.

I believe somebody wanted to know how SketchBook Pro works on the new iPad. The 2048x1536 canvas that was an option on iPad 2 is enabled by default, and the performance seems pretty much the same, i.e. noticeably laggier than the 1024x768 canvas, so that's disappointing. The additional couple of layers is handy though, and naturally the high res canvas makes more sense this time as it is native.

Amusingly, if you disable the high res canvas, the 1024x768 mode is even laggier, to the point of being totally unusable, so that's clearly a bug.

I never used the high res canvas on iPad 2 because 1024x768 was so much smoother, so at the moment it feels like a bit of a step backwards in performance. Room for improvement I imagine, probably a rushed update.

What is the difference between the new iPad charger and the iPhone 4S charger? Surely they can be used interchangeably even though the iPad charger is larger?

Just spent two hours watching streaming videos off the Internet, and the iPad isn't even warm. I'm not sure what everyone else is seeing but to this point heat is not an issue with my iPad. By the way I dictated this entire post. Except for all the yellow, I am loving this purchase.

Presco

Loooool haha I was doing the same!

I just settled for a Cool Banana Bulletproof travel case and a Smart Cover combo. Love the naked feel of the iPad but need something else to protect it a little bit more

I went with a Smart Cover plus Snap Shield Secure from Belkin (iPad 2 version works fine according to Macrumors). First time I put the iPad down on a wood surface I scratched it. Was able to buff it out but the aluminum is really soft and seems like it'll scratch easily on any non smooth surface.

Anybody got some messenger bag recommendations? I'm not looking for something small and iPad specific but something with a bit of protection for the iPad and large enough to carry my work, lunch and possibly a change of clothes / shoes for the gym.

Looks like Crumpler might be a good option but I'd love to hear some other recommendations

MercuryLS

Banned
Just spent two hours watching streaming videos off the Internet, and the iPad isn't even warm. I'm not sure what everyone else is seeing but to this point heat is not an issue with my iPad. By the way I dictated this entire post. Except for all the yellow, I am loving this purchase.

I had issues with the heat during the syncing process, after that it wasn't an issue at all. With normal operation it runs cool, might get slightly warm with an intensive app but overall it's not a big deal.

welp, the replacement one will probably be going back:

goingback.jpg

pretty easy to see why. I'll give it a few days to see if the yellow coloring that you see there in the bottom left disappears. If not...well...yea.

Fortunately swapping out iPads is quick and I'm only abou 20 minutes from an Apple Store.

Top Bottom