• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Zeth

Being my first tablet I have no idea what an acceptable level of bleed is, this is my screen

s45tD.jpg

As you can see there are a couple of spots there but I'm not sure what's normal

Looks exactly like my pic I posted. Totally imperceptible in normal use probably? It's really up to you if you want to swap, but there are a LOT of iPads that look like that out there. Just look at the macrumors forums, people are going through so many swaps that the apple store is telling them they can't open any more.

Thanks for mentioning this, it's exactly what I'm looking for. A thin back cover with a good cut out and a magnet to hold the smart cover.

Amazon link for the new iPad version.

I wouldn't buy the Belkin covers. The cover for the iPad 2 seems to have some quality issues, where the corners crack pretty easily.

yXEgi.jpg

I purchased this product in June 2011. After several weeks of carrying my iPad 2 with the Belkin Snap Shield in a canvas photographer's bag, these corner cracks developed. The bag was only set down on carpeted floors at home and office. This is exactly the situation other commenters have described.

Heel

I wouldn't buy the Belkin covers. The cover for the iPad 2 seems to have some quality issues, where the corners crack pretty easily.

yXEgi.jpg

Ahhh. Alternatives in the same style? I don't like how the Speck SmartShell comes over the bezel. I just want something light to protect from scratches that works with the smart cover...

Looks exactly like my pic I posted. Totally imperceptible in normal use probably? It's really up to you if you want to swap, but there are a LOT of iPads that look like that out there. Just look at the macrumors forums, people are going through so many swaps that the apple store is telling them they can't open any more.

Yeah I haven't really noticed it and had to do a check to see it, my concern was is it something that will worsen over time meaning I'd be better to swap when given the chance.

I think it's nit picking though really

HoTHiTTeR

Returned my 32GB white wifi, hoping to get a white 16gb; they're finally sold out. But, they had some black 16's - $110 back into my pocket and I think I like the contrast of the black bezel vs the white. Loved my white iPhones and iPad 2, but I think black is the way to go after owning both.

Zeth

Yeah I haven't really noticed it and had to do a check to see it, my concern was is it something that will worsen over time meaning I'd be better to swap when given the chance.

I think it's nit picking though really

Yeah it's looking for a problem that's not there IMO. There are absolutely cases out there that totally justify a return but yours specifically looks a lot like mine, which is pretty much only visible under perfect conditions (black screen max brightness). In my experience it doesn't change over time, my iPad 2 had very bad bleed which appeared to stay the same for a year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was in a nearby Apple store today since I was in the neighborhood and got a chance to check out the new iPad. Very impressed with the screen resolution. Text and photos on the demo unit looked incredible. Unfortunately, everything that hand't been updated for iPad Retina looked pretty bad. Still, text and graphics, as well as web browsing looked simply incredible. It almost looked like a backlit piece of paper from a high-quality magazine and not a screen.

They had plenty in stock and I almost picked up the cheapest model, but just couldn't think of when I would use it over my MacBook Air, iPhone, or desktop PC outside of a few iPad-specific games. I'm still thinking about it, though. Such an impressive screen.

Being my first tablet I have no idea what an acceptable level of bleed is, this is my screen

s45tD.jpg

As you can see there are a couple of spots there but I'm not sure what's normal

about what the one I returned look like. dunno. it may turn out that IS normal, but some people here have sworn they have no light leak. As such, I'd return it either now or later.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Man I am considering a tablet and I am between this, the Kindle Fire and the Galaxy Tab. I am not a fan of Apple products but I find the iPad 3 incredibly appealing, especially DAT SCREEN. In fact I had a ticket to buy one today at a local Sam's Club but decided against it at the last time. I am just on the verge. I'd probably use it for reading stuff, just browsing in places where I have Wi fi access, things like that. I am so undecided always XD

Man I am considering a tablet and I am between this, the Kindle Fire and the Galaxy Tab. I am not a fan of Apple products but I find the iPad 3 incredibly appealing, especially DAT SCREEN. In fact I had a ticket to buy one today at a local Sam's Club but decided against it at the last time. I am just on the verge. I'd probably use it for reading stuff, just browsing in places where I have Wi fi access, things like that. I am so undecided always XD

I honestly don't understand how anyone can seriously be debating between those 3 devices, the differences are so vast. ANd seriously, why the hell would you get a tab? I've owned one, there's pretty much no comparison between it and the new iPad (or even the iPad 2) especially at that price. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a Galaxy Tab, thats how much I think it's worth from my experience. As for the Kindle, it's a completely different class of product. But sure, you can buy one if you want to torture yourself.

cvxfreak

Is it just me or do the Apple Smart Covers come off the iPad easier than they do on the iPad 2? Even opening the cover normally often results in it getting detached even though I don't exert so much force.

Maybe my cover is defective?

Bought Splashtop Remote Desktop for remote access. Seems to work really good. When I play music on the PC, it doesn't come to the ipad. Instead it plays on the local machine. The box is checked to play on the ipad. Any ideas? Also, will there be an update to support new resolution?

Bought mordern Combat 3 also but I can't seem to connect to an online server?

Been downloading a ton of free apps for business and personal use. I find apps a lot more appealing to use on the ipad than the iphone. I'd say that's mainly due to the screen size and performance.

Help me gaf!

Talon

Is it just me or do the Apple Smart Covers come off the iPad easier than they do on the iPad 2? Even opening the cover normally often results in it getting detached even though I don't exert so much force.

Maybe my cover is defective?
Isn't happening with mine. Sounds like you should get it swapped.

Wife messed with the ABC and NBC apps today. Odd that ABC will send audio only to our Apple TV but NBC sends both. ABC's image on iPad is frickin stellar. NBC's image sent to Apple TV is horrible but looks OK on the iPad. Is streaming to Apple TV something app devs can turn off?

Talon

Wife messed with the ABC and NBC apps today. Odd that ABC will send audio only to our Apple TV but NBC sends both. ABC's image on iPad is frickin stellar. NBC's image sent to Apple TV is horrible but looks OK on the iPad. Is streaming to Apple TV something app devs can turn off?
Didn't know that NBC had an app with full episodes. Thanks!

Hooray for more ways to watch Community!

asdad123

So is this worth upgrading to from an iPad 2? I have a 32gb iPad 2 wifi which I figure I can sell for 350-400 so the upgrade would only cost me 200-250.

Im just having a hard time justifying it lol. Is the retina display that much better?

Toki767

After a few hours with one you really start to see the huge difference. I used to love my MacBook Air's screen, but now it looks atrocious.

I hope that is the case. I was literally just staring at them for a few minutes till I had to ask an employee which was which. He had to check the model in the settings to make sure too

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i swear there has been a different answer every page buuut in terms of comics:

let's say i want to read some old classics maybe watchmen some frank miller stuff etc. but also maybe get into some of the new hotness. is there a single go-to app i can pull this off with?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hope that is the case. I was literally just staring at them for a few minutes till I had to ask an employee which was which. He had to check the model in the settings to make sure too

I find that surprising. At the Apple store I went to, they only had new iPads on display, with. iPad 2s being used as product information displays. The difference was painfully obvious to me.

I find that surprising. At the Apple store I went to, they only had new iPads on display, with. iPad 2s being used as product information displays. The difference was painfully obvious to me.

at best buy, it is less obvious.. they have 4 iPad 2s out.. and 1 new ipad.. and they have the new ipad lashed down so no one can pick it up..

I believe somebody wanted to know how SketchBook Pro works on the new iPad. The 2048x1536 canvas that was an option on iPad 2 is enabled by default, and the performance seems pretty much the same, i.e. noticeably laggier than the 1024x768 canvas, so that's disappointing. The additional couple of layers is handy though, and naturally the high res canvas makes more sense this time as it is native.

Amusingly, if you disable the high res canvas, the 1024x768 mode is even laggier, to the point of being totally unusable, so that's clearly a bug.

I never used the high res canvas on iPad 2 because 1024x768 was so much smoother, so at the moment it feels like a bit of a step backwards in performance. Room for improvement I imagine, probably a rushed update.
Welp, it just got another update. It's a tiny bit less laggy on the high res canvas, and the 1024x768 canvas is now usable... although at the same level of lag as the high res canvas. It wasn't like that on iPad 2. Anyway... it's fine now.

MercuryLS

Banned
It seems like some apps run slow, I hope updates to them clears up the issues. It would suck if many of these apps couldn't run at full speed with retina display resolutions.

LCfiner

So is this worth upgrading to from an iPad 2? I have a 32gb iPad 2 wifi which I figure I can sell for 350-400 so the upgrade would only cost me 200-250.

Im just having a hard time justifying it lol. Is the retina display that much better?

Depends who you ask. I say yes but others would say no.

Your best bet is to see one in person and figure out if you like the screen enough to update. Oh, and if you happened to be out on the road a lot, LTE might be worth upgrading for. But that's also such a personal thing. Moreso than the screen, IMO

asdad123

Depends who you ask. I say yes but others would say no.

Your best bet is to see one in person and figure out if you like the screen enough to update. Oh, and if you happened to be out on the road a lot, LTE might be worth upgrading for. But that's also such a personal thing. Moreso than the screen, IMO

Well my local best buy had one for local pickup, so I placed the order. Ill check it out tomorrow in the best buy store and if I don't think its worth it, I just won't pick it up lol.

The one thing bad about my current iPad is that its engraved with "happy birthday". I went into apple last week because I just noticed that it had a lot of light leakage. They said they had to order my replacement because they didn't have any in stock.

Alex

The screen is a psychotic upgrade, especially on the web, the difference it makes is much larger than I expected.

Toki767

I did go to Best Buy instead of the Apple Store so it wasn't quite as easy to know I was looking at the new one. But my eyes just might not be good at telling the difference is all. I still plan on getting one. Just wanted to see if I was alone in not seeing the difference

Alex

I did go to Best Buy instead of the Apple Store so it wasn't quite as easy to know I was looking at the new one. But my eyes just might not be good at telling the difference is all. I still plan on getting one. Just wanted to see if I was alone in not seeing the difference

My mother is half blind and noticed the difference, so I'd imagine there's not a lot. It makes the web soooo much more usable, I can go to plenty of sites and do things I just couldn't on the 2.

Top Bottom