• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My mother is half blind and noticed the difference, so I'd imagine there's not a lot. It makes the web soooo much more usable, I can go to plenty of sites and do things I just couldn't on the 2.

The web browsing experience is what impressed me the most. I had used previous iPad models before, but browsing the web wasn't very great. Having to tap to zoom, scroll around a bunch, etc. The increased resolution (and probably RAM) makes for a much better experience. It feels like a legitimate alternative to using a full computer finally. In fact, I'd probably even prefer using the iPad 3 for simple browsing, especially with languages like Japanese and such that are harder to read without zooming in.

I really hope this year's Macbook refresh brings a much higher resolution screen. If that happens, I won't have to worry about which product to get.

PSGames

Ok plugged into an outlet I'm only getting 10% charge per hour or something ridiculous like that. Is there something wrong with my iPad?

Tobor

I'm not as up on comic apps, so where do you actually buy the comics then? Download one of the official apps and comicglass sees the comics you bought from those apps?

No, if you want to purchase comics, you need Comixology. You can also buy graphic novels now in iBooks.

Hmm. So there is definitely a yellow tint in the bottom left of my iPad screen. What was the consensus on this, should I expect it to go away on its own or should I be making an appointment with Apple to replace it?

kr2t0s

Received a 32gb white wifi on Friday but after a few days and spending time reading a book on it last night - exchanged it at the apple store for another one. I don't mind the "warmer" display but the odd yellowing in strange places was driving me nuts.

Setting up the new one but so far this screen seems way more consistent in its color tone. Still warm overall but at least it's not splotchy like my last one.

Owning this iPad has made me more excited for the next one, because of the CPU/GPU improvements that will make it possible to do crazy shit on the display. Right now, feels like performance is a wash with the last iPad, considering it's pushing 4X the pixels. The next one will employ a completely new CPU/GPU architecture and will enable some crazy stuff when it comes to 3D, etc.

darkwing

Received a 32gb white wifi on Friday but after a few days and spending time reading a book on it last night - exchanged it at the apple store for another one. I don't mind the "warmer" display but the odd yellowing in strange places was driving me nuts.

Setting up the new one but so far this screen seems way more consistent in its color tone. Still warm overall but at least it's not splotchy like my last one.

yup, the warmness is a different thing than the yellow stains

kr2t0s

What resolution are most cbr/cbz's?

Do I need comic glass to read these in Retina or can comic zeal display them fine? Knowing that comic zeal's UI isn't in Retina or whatever.

AndTAR

Ok plugged into an outlet I'm only getting 10% charge per hour or something ridiculous like that. Is there something wrong with my iPad?
Well that does sound pretty weird. I would assume the 43 watt-hour battery, when charged at 10 W with the pack-in outlet charger, should take 4.3 hours to charge, which would be 23%/hr, or maybe slightly less in practice due to standby power consumption. Sounds worrying to me.

epmode

Going by my 10 percent per hour estimate are we seriously expected to wait 10 hours for this thing to charge?
Are you using the adapter that came with the iPad or something you had lying around the house? Many other Apple chargers supply less power than the standard iPad one so make sure the adapter actually says 10V.

Well that does sound pretty weird. I would assume the 43 watt-hour battery, when charged at 10 W with the pack-in outlet charger, should take 4.3 hours to charge, which would give you 23%/hr, or maybe some 20%/hr. in practice, due to standby power consumption. Sounds worrying to me.

By your logic, my 0-65 seems appropriate then. Thanks!

jambo

Do I need comic glass to read these in Retina or can comic zeal display them fine? Knowing that comic zeal's UI isn't in Retina or whatever.

AFAIK ComicZeal will display the comics in as high a res as possible, so they should look great!

EDIT: https://twitter.com/#!/bitolithic/status/180057266186240002

Comic Zeal will display the comic pages in retina resolution from day one, and soon we'll update the UI to be retina resolution too.

Tobor

Huh, so people using Comicglass buy comics on their PC and put the PDF on their iPad then or something?

Other than some independent stuff, you can't buy comics that way. No way I'm aware of, anyway. Most people use scanned comics with those apps. Either scanned themselves, or "downloaded".

NawidA

Banned

Most (all?) CBRs are at a very high resolution, ideal for retina. Without updating for retina I would say it depends on how the app handles the images. If the app is just displaying the image without altering the image then theoretically, you should still see the comic in high res glory.

Teddman

The standard for most scans is 300 dpi, above the iPad's 264 ppi, so it should work out fine with downsampling.

ComicGlass is as of now the only comic reader fully retina compliant. It's the all-around best with the most reading features/options too, so this is a good thing.

Aroo

Neo Member
Any recommendation for note software? Something use the iPad for notes. Isomething close to OneNote on the desktop.

So I want to get a stylus so I can doodle and play Draw Something on the new iPad, can just go for the cheapest one on Amazon or is there a real difference between the the $5 for 3 packs and like the $20 Targus ones?

ParityBit

Has anyone owned the Marware Microshell Folio case for the iPad 2? Out of everything I've seen, leaning towards this one. Reviews are good, it seems pretty high quality, thin and light, and basically is a smart-cover with back protection which is what I'm looking for. Just need more hands on impressions.

http://www.marware.com/microshell-folio-case-for-the-new-ipad

Yes and I love it. For the new iPad I have the CEO version to see what I think of it. Just need my new iPad (comes tommorow)

tranciful

Mine takes forever to charge as well.

On another note, I'm not a big fan of how the volume buttons work. If I hold the volume down button, it goes for a couple ticks and then skips to mute. Is that normal...? Seems like a software thing to me so I assume my iPad itself isn't faulty.

Circle T

Unless your problem was dead pixels, issues (yellow colouds, light leak) would be impossible to tell under store lighting. you'd need a dark room for that. You'll know when you get home and have time to evaluate it.

I'm not worried about the bleeding that some people are seeing by putting a black screen up in a dark room. Those conditions are very far from normal-use by me. Check my earlier post where I posted a pic of my problem. Even in a normal, well lit room, the light could be easily seen leaking under the glass. This new one has none of that, so I'm satisfied.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I have a dead pixel, but they're so tiny I can't see it unless I really look.

Oh well least if anything else goes wrong with it in the next 12 months I have the fodder to return it now.

ParityBit

Any negatives? How does the back feel?

I don't really have any issues. The back is nice, and gets covered when you flip he lid over the back. The only issue I had is that the lid when used to prop up. The iPad would sometimes slide down and I would have to prop it up again. It is a really sleek and slim form factor too.

Quake1028

Mine takes forever to charge as well.

On another note, I'm not a big fan of how the volume buttons work. If I hold the volume down button, it goes for a couple ticks and then skips to mute. Is that normal...? Seems like a software thing to me so I assume my iPad itself isn't faulty.

Normal.

I don't really have any issues. The back is nice, and gets covered when you flip he lid over the back. The only issue I had is that the lid when used to prop up. The iPad would sometimes slide down and I would have to prop it up again. It is a really sleek and slim form factor too.

I'm assuming when you're holding it so that the flap is folded against the back, it doesn't stick and flops around unless it's held together, right?
Also, do you recommend black or silver? The iPad 2 one is 40% off on Amazon, but can't be sure it will work for the 3.

ParityBit

I'm assuming when you're holding it so that the flap is folded against the back, it doesn't stick and flops around unless it's held together, right?
Also, do you recommend black or silver? The iPad 2 one is 40% off on Amazon, but can't be sure it will work for the 3.

It does not stick, but when I hold it, it's tight against the hard casing that is on the back of the iPad. I have the black on a black iPad and I like it. As for the new iPad wnd the iPad 2 case I am not sure if it will fit. I don't get my new iPad until tomorrow.

It does not stick, but when I hold it, it's tight against the hard casing that is on the back of the iPad. I have the black on a black iPad and I like it. As for the new iPad wnd the iPad 2 case I am not sure if it will fit. I don't get my new iPad until tomorrow.

You mind sending me a PM after you've tried it out? If it fits fine I'll just go ahead and order it as its heavily discounted. If not I'll wait till the new ones which don't ship till April at the earliest.

tranciful

Well it's been that way for 2 years now, doubt its going to change any time soon.

Yeah, just seems redundant though. If I want quick mute, I have the mute switch. If I want to simply slower the volume, I want to use the volume buttons without having to mute and then backtrack. It'd make more sense if it worked the other way, making it easier to get to full volume.

Presco

I wouldn't buy the Belkin covers. The cover for the iPad 2 seems to have some quality issues, where the corners crack pretty easily.

yXEgi.jpg

Damn, I ordered from Bestbuy last night. If there's an issue then I'll just get it replaced I guess. Seems strange that it would just arbitrarily crack. Maybe there was a couple of bad batches or something...hoping for the best.

Top Bottom