• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Damn, I ordered from Bestbuy last night. If there's an issue then I'll just get it replaced I guess. Seems strange that it would just arbitrarily crack. Maybe there was a couple of bad batches or something...hoping for the best.

Reading the reviews of those at Amazon seems to indicate that the issue was addressed later. On some of the reviews a representative from the company responded asking them to return it to be exchanged for a fixed case which I assume means they addressed the problem.

*edit* I need to start saying the word "comma" when I'm using dictation apparently.

Presco

Reading the reviews of those at Amazon seems to indicate that the issue was addressed later. On some of the reviews a representative from the company responded asking them to return it to be exchanged for a fixed case which I assume means they addressed the problem.

*edit* I need to start saying the word "comma" when I'm using dictation apparently.

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance! Sounds like it wouldn't be an issue to get replaced if I end up with one of the old models.

Vyer

Man I am considering a tablet and I am between this, the Kindle Fire and the Galaxy Tab. I am not a fan of Apple products but I find the iPad 3 incredibly appealing, especially DAT SCREEN. In fact I had a ticket to buy one today at a local Sam's Club but decided against it at the last time. I am just on the verge. I'd probably use it for reading stuff, just browsing in places where I have Wi fi access, things like that. I am so undecided always XD

Is money an issue at all? Because obviously that would be a big reason to go for the Fire. If not, then I found there were just too many little things that bugged me about the Fire. Hell a volume rocker button became such a big deal I almost couldn't put a price on it. lol. But really, the Fire is 'ok', but there is clearly an upgrade between it and the higher dollar tablets (as expected). I had the Fire for about a month in hopes that I would be happy with it and not have to cough up more money for a tablet. I eventually returned it and just used the money toward this ipad. New iPad + my Kindle keyboard are a great combination IMO and I'm pretty happy with it.

Can't comment on the Tab as I've never owned one.

Comixology is updating with new HD comics. All the comics you already purchased can be updated for free.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165953/comixology_gives_new_ipad_hd_comics.html#lsrc.rss_main

The comics look great already, I can't wait to see what them updated!

holy shit, they are actually going to get better? wow

I'm looking for a good clear case for the back that works with a smart cover. Andy suggestions?

I'm planning on getting the Belkin Snap Shield Secure. The magnetic strip on the back sealed the deal.

Apparently the iPad 2 one will fit but its pretty tight and some people have cracked a corner when taking it off. I think best buy and target sells them too.

Also make sure you guys check for dead pixels! I had one in the middle of the screen and apple swapped it out for a brand new one. Only took about 20 minutes to get a new one with a perfect screen.

http://www.theipadguide.com/content/ipad-dead-pixel-test-how/7171269

Heel

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance! Sounds like it wouldn't be an issue to get replaced if I end up with one of the old models.

Yeah, plus I saw that Belkin listed a lifetime warranty for the iPad 2 version on their website. I think it'll be okay for me to go ahead with the new iPad version. Exactly what I'm looking for with the magnet to hold the smart cover.

Talon

Only complaint I have so far is that images in the photo app seem to take 5 or more seconds to fully render. Odd issue. Never seen it happen with my iPhone, even with massive images.

Really enjoying pairing it up with the apple tv. I never had one before and decided to give it a go.

Could really change the way I use the device.

Toki767

I can't decide between 16GB and 32GB. Is 16 enough for apps if I'm not putting any music and maybe one or two movies at a time? Sizes of games seem to vary but I'm kind of worried for when they end up being over 1GB to download.

noah111

Still Alive
I can't decide between 16GB and 32GB. Is 16 enough for apps if I'm not putting any music and maybe one or two movies at a time? Sizes of games seem to vary but I'm kind of worried for when they end up being over 1GB to download.
Stay safe and go 32GB. Your future self will thank me for it.

renitou

Yeah, just seems redundant though. If I want quick mute, I have the mute switch. If I want to simply slower the volume, I want to use the volume buttons without having to mute and then backtrack. It'd make more sense if it worked the other way, making it easier to get to full volume.
Hold-over from when the mute switch was the orientation lock switch (which, speaking of, is what you should set it up as again in Settings; far, far more useful functionality).

Avixph

Anyone buy their iPad from the Grand Central store in NYC? How crowded does that store get?

Not that crowded, you will easly be able to find an Apple employee to help you.
This is only based on the times I have been there which are weekdays in the afternoon.

Anyone buy their iPad from the Grand Central store in NYC? How crowded does that store get?

Didn't buy anything, but I was there last night about 10 minutes before they closed. It was crowded, but I had no problem walking up to a display iPad and playing around with it. No idea how it is in the middle of the day, though.

iavi

Really enjoying pairing it up with the apple tv. I never had one before and decided to give it a go.

Could really change the way I use the device.

There's a significant lag when dealing with airplay, if they could just fix that it'd be amazingly useful. If something like Splashtop can get it right, I see no reason Apple couldn't eventually.

Vyer

Just spent two hours watching streaming videos off the Internet, and the iPad isn't even warm. I'm not sure what everyone else is seeing but to this point heat is not an issue with my iPad. By the way I dictated this entire post. Except for all the yellow, I am loving this purchase.

Yeah, agreed. I guess the first two iPads were ice cold, because I'd hesitate to even call anything on this one 'warm'. I was worried it was going to be ball frying hot like some laptops after hearing the concern online. Thankfully that's not the case.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, agreed. I guess the first two iPads were ice cold, because I'd hesitate to even call anything on this one 'warm'. I was worried it was going to be ball frying hot like some laptops after hearing the concern online. Thankfully that's not the case.
First two iPads really are ice cold. Almost too cold. :)

I don't really understand all the worrying. I went for the 16, knowing that in the future IF I feel I need the 32 (which I doubt will be the case) I can easily sell this and buy the 32 while losing minimal amount of $$. With iCloud, the downtime is almost nothing. I pay for what I think I'll use. With Apple products, there is less penalty than with any other company for reselling.

After exchanging my WiFi model for the 4G I can honestly say I'm glad I made the move. Using it around town today on Verizon LTE was fantastic. So fast and smooth doing a variety of things from checking e-mail, to surfing GAF, to streaming videos. Just a great experience. Being able to use it as a hotspot is just icing on the cake. Having that kind of a fast, always on , Internet connection is definitely like living in the future. :)

subrock

I thought I would run out of room on the 16 but I've got most of the apps I use on the iPhone on mine now and I'm using around 1.5 gb. not worried at all about running out of space. as a compromise for the lack of space for photos I bought an iCloud subscription anyways.

There's a significant lag when dealing with airplay, if they could just fix that it'd be amazingly useful. If something like Splashtop can get it right, I see no reason Apple couldn't eventually.

I've been mainly using it for videos.

I did dabble with it with games, and I did notice what you're saying in Real Racing 2.

Presco

Yeah, plus I saw that Belkin listed a lifetime warranty for the iPad 2 version on their website. I think it'll be okay for me to go ahead with the new iPad version. Exactly what I'm looking for with the magnet to hold the smart cover.

Yeah, the design seems perfect. My iPad 2 version should be here tomorrow. I probably should have waited for the new version but I saw that the old one fit the new iPad so I'm hoping it's not an issue.

japtor

did anyone try Air Playit HD? seems like it's a decent free alternative to Air Video.
I'm not sure whether I should stick with this or purchase Air Player if it's much better.

EDIT: RushPlayer dropped to 99 cents. Bought.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/rushplayer/id452990487?mt=8
This shot is hilarious:
FMJAS.jpg

Welp, it just got another update. It's a tiny bit less laggy on the high res canvas, and the 1024x768 canvas is now usable... although at the same level of lag as the high res canvas. It wasn't like that on iPad 2. Anyway... it's fine now.
Eh I've been using the 2048 canvas for a while cause it wasn't hugely worse than the 1024 one...I remember being disappointed when the iPad 2 came out that SketchBook didn't perform that much faster. It's like they limit it to 30fps input/refresh or something, really annoying. Makes me wonder how SketchBook Ink will be, the demo looked pretty smooth.
Owning this iPad has made me more excited for the next one, because of the CPU/GPU improvements that will make it possible to do crazy shit on the display. Right now, feels like performance is a wash with the last iPad, considering it's pushing 4X the pixels. The next one will employ a completely new CPU/GPU architecture and will enable some crazy stuff when it comes to 3D, etc.
Performance probably feels like a wash cause they didn't bump the CPU at all.
What's the best PDF reader for iPad.
I use GoodReader but I don't think it's necessarily good (and apparently it hasn't been updated for the new screen), the UI is horrible...but it's a really really flexible app. You can connect to pretty much anything and use it as generic file storage in a way. Jack of all trades, master of ugly.

ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert (same thing but can do more stuff with PDFs) are pretty good in a similar vein, maybe not as capable as GoodReader but can still do quite a bit while not being ugly, or so I've been told.

For barebones stuff you could use iBooks, there's a bunch of free ones too iirc.

deleted my zinio and grabbed it again. so what does the EDGE app do vs zinio? Right now; per page; it comes in in chunks - the page gets broken up into say 12 squares and each one comes into focus slowly. Takes about 2-3 seconds per page to refresh. That said, its finally readable as a page without having to zoom in/out.

Top Bottom