• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

HoTHiTTeR

Damn, I ordered from Bestbuy last night. If there's an issue then I'll just get it replaced I guess. Seems strange that it would just arbitrarily crack. Maybe there was a couple of bad batches or something...hoping for the best.

Just an FYI, they're $19.99 @ target this week. $18.99 if u use their redcard discount.

I LOVE THIS THING

Same here... For my needs I really don't need a laptop computer now. I can do pretty much anything I would want to on the go with this and it's easier to carry around than a MacBook Pro. I'm saving up for a Mac Pro to do my heavy duty workstation stuff at home and for casual computing the iPad fits the bill for me. The UI and overall ease of use is so much better than an Android tablet.

And after hearing all the issues people used to have with web browsing on the previous iPads, I'm glad I held off until this one. I'm also typing just as fast on this touchscreen keyboard as I would with a real keyboard. I'm kind of wishing I went with LTE right about now though.

there wasn't any webbrowsing issue with ipad2. I actually prefer to browse the net with my 2 vs the 3 because the thing is lighter.

1 was the one that would chug.

sooo comixology is the best comix app then?

I use comiczeal and swear by it. Well worth the money.

High-res photos look NUTTY on this thing.

I don't think there's a substantial difference in all honesty. There might be a bit more fine grain but I don't think it was that MUCH of an improvement. As mentioned earlier; holding it any nearer to your eye, you feel you're squinting anyhow.

For those still unconvinced..

http://www.imore.com/2012/03/18/ipad-ipad-2-retina-display-tests/

This screen still blows my mind. Makes everything else look like shit. I feel pity for the other tablet makers. Not sure how the hell they plan to compete with this new standard while maintaining the same price points. I don't even think its possible. Apple is making significantly less margins on this iPad, and they have the economies of scale that makes that ok, as well as the buying clout to the the cheapest component costs. I can't even see how's it's possible for any other tablet maker that sells a few hundred thousand a quarter to afford to match this.

see5harp

I've never used anything aside from comic zeal for any real time but with wifi sync and the incredible ability to organize I don't feel like I need to even try any other apps as this point. I actually put a big scan (probably double in size from the normal 20 Meg's scan) on there and compared to a small scan and really it didn't look that much better to my eyes. Comic zeal does do a resize locally when you move the file over but honestly even the old school scans look incredible on this thing without zooming in. Much better than the typical magazine scan you'd see in the actual iOS marketplace.

ipad3 takes forever to charge. Have it in the wall socket and I swear the 2 would be charged by now. Its @ 76%.

The battery is substantially larger. Bigger batteries take longer to charge.

You either sacrifice battery life or go up in battery size when you upgrade display and processing power.

Future

Same here... For my needs I really don't need a laptop computer now. I can do pretty much anything I would want to on the go with this and it's easier to carry around than a MacBook Pro. I'm saving up for a Mac Pro to do my heavy duty workstation stuff at home and for casual computing the iPad fits the bill for me. The UI and overall ease of use is so much better than an Android tablet.

And after hearing all the issues people used to have with web browsing on the previous iPads, I'm glad I held off until this one. I'm also typing just as fast on this touchscreen keyboard as I would with a real keyboard. I'm kind of wishing I went with LTE right about now though.

If you have an iPhone or any phone with data, don't worry about lte. There are enough wifi sources out there, and many apps that cache content that there is no need for it. I really can't understand people who get it that have iPhones: in the us there is wifi in almost every cafe and coffee shop and you already pay a data plan which works great with the phone

Email or other immediate necessities are satisfied by the phone. Instapaper or readability can cache articles for later reading. And the last 50 emails (or whatever setting you have for it to keep) are mostly offline viewable aside from pictures or of the message is very a large. I was pleasantly surprised by that last point on a recent trip, when I found I was able to check fetched email even when my wifi went out in a hotel overseas (no international data, so didn't use phone)

toohectic

People aren't kidding when they say this runs warm. For reference, I'm using the wifi model.

The weight hasn't been an issue.

Are you running full brightness?

Still trying to determine if heat is due to brightness. For everyone that says theirs run hot, is your brightness high? What about those who report cool running iPads?

Chanser

Are you running full brightness?

Still trying to determine if heat is due to brightness. For everyone that says theirs run hot, is your brightness high? What about those who report cool running iPads?

Mine runs warm at 50% brightness with auto-brightness on.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
For those still unconvinced..

http://www.imore.com/2012/03/18/ipad-ipad-2-retina-display-tests/

This screen still blows my mind. Makes everything else look like shit. I feel pity for the other tablet makers. Not sure how the hell they plan to compete with this new standard while maintaining the same price points. I don't even think its possible. Apple is making significantly less margins on this iPad, and they have the economies of scale that makes that ok, as well as the buying clout to the the cheapest component costs. I can't even see how's it's possible for any other tablet maker that sells a few hundred thousand a quarter to afford to match this.

From the comments, it seems that Samsung, LG, and Sharp all make the display?
That would account for some of the bigger screen discrepancies out there.

I was reading my EDGE mag - well it was grabbing it off zinio and I was zooming in/out Not long, and it got warm. Compared to the ipad2 which never does. I really need to spend my time with my 3!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Supposedly all panels are being made by Samsung. LG and sharps displays didn't cut it for apple.

Right, I thought so too but the comment mentioned iPads manufactured after March 3rd seem to come from LG. looking online it seems recent articles stating the same.

comic glass is a great reader..

I made a CBZ file out of some Yotsuba&! scans that I have and they look amazing..

I checked the official Yen Press app in the app store and it looks horribly low res compared to this..

here's a screen cap I took..

http://minus.com/m5OigOyJO#1f

They are needlessly high res, imo.. but I can read everything without zooming in and all of the lines look smooth and perfect.

If someone can step up to the plate and offer this level of quality for sale in the app store, I can see many dollars draining from my bank account into apple's coffers..

hyp

I think it really depends on what you're doing with the thing. I've been youtubing and web browsing for the last hour and the thing is still cool to the touch.

plus in general if you're holding the thing for an extended period of time, the area where your hands are tends to retain a bit of warmth. I just move my hands on occasion when I start feeling it get warm. but yes, definitely not uncomfortable at all.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
My ipod touch 4th gen gets hot as hell sometimes, when playing a game like infinity blade.

I'm really close to buying the new ipad - I keep going into the apple store and playing around on it. However I just moved to a new apartment and my rent is so expensive and I'm afraid to spend any money :((

My ipod touch 4th gen gets hot as hell sometimes, when playing a game like infinity blade.

I'm really close to buying the new ipad - I keep going into the apple store and playing around on it. However I just moved to a new apartment and my rent is so expensive and I'm afraid to spend any money :((

Wait it out, man. Having a place to live is more important. Toys can come later and in droves!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this was the catalyst that got me reading A Clash of Kings again. I didn't get too far last time, but I started over.

Totally worth it.

darkwing

needs vs wants

tm24

I've never used anything aside from comic zeal for any real time but with wifi sync and the incredible ability to organize I don't feel like I need to even try any other apps as this point. I actually put a big scan (probably double in size from the normal 20 Meg's scan) on there and compared to a small scan and really it didn't look that much better to my eyes. Comic zeal does do a resize locally when you move the file over but honestly even the old school scans look incredible on this thing without zooming in. Much better than the typical magazine scan you'd see in the actual iOS marketplace.

How do you do wifi sync? Haven't figured that out yet

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man I am considering a tablet and I am between this, the Kindle Fire and the Galaxy Tab. I am not a fan of Apple products but I find the iPad 3 incredibly appealing, especially DAT SCREEN. In fact I had a ticket to buy one today at a local Sam's Club but decided against it at the last time. I am just on the verge. I'd probably use it for reading stuff, just browsing in places where I have Wi fi access, things like that. I am so undecided always XD

I honestly looked at android tablets just to try something different. The power they have under the hood is really impressive, and I like the idea of the widgets showing more information on home screens. But they just feel clunky in normal use - basic screen transitions, stuff like that. And they aren't any cheaper than the ipad - its not like the 'apple tax' is out in force on ipad at all.

IMO ipad 2 is better value and more capable than the top end android tablets right now. ipad 3 is just icing on the cake

Owning this iPad has made me more excited for the next one, because of the CPU/GPU improvements that will make it possible to do crazy shit on the display. Right now, feels like performance is a wash with the last iPad, considering it's pushing 4X the pixels. The next one will employ a completely new CPU/GPU architecture and will enable some crazy stuff when it comes to 3D, etc.

bearing in mind the massive battery needed (probably more for the screen than the GPU), they're going to start hitting practical limits as to how much more they can improve performance.

I agree, I think there is another big jump coming along - either quad core A9 or dual/quad A15, depending how they want to spread it out, but its going to start getting more incremental pretty soon

The standard for most scans is 300 dpi, above the iPad's 264 ppi, so it should work out fine with downsampling.

ComicGlass is as of now the only comic reader fully retina compliant. It's the all-around best with the most reading features/options too, so this is a good thing.

are there good sources for decent cbrs? I'm using manga unity and older comics like Ranma and Urusei Yatsura don't look that different compared to ipad 1. Maybe the source isn't as good?

For those that have EDGE mag, is it retina and are the issues available right away in the US?

yes its retina, screen updates are a little slow but mag looks great - can read nicely in portrait without zooming.

Don't know about US availability

sooo comixology is the best comix app then?

comixology is probably the best comic app with built in comic store. If you have cbr/cbz files then lots of people like comicglass. If you like manga, then manga unity has a ton of stuff available

PaulLFC

A colleague was wondering if there was a way to have one iTunes account shared between two iDevices, but with two separate iCloud accounts, one on each device. I said I'm sure it can be done, in fact I think I read on GAF that it can, I'm just not sure which post it was now.

He's already using the one iTunes account, so is it as simple as setting up a new iCloud account on the second device and leaving the original iCloud account on the first device?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is your edit button broken?

sorry, when I'm catching up with a thread I tend to reply as I go. It can look spammy so I've edited now. Also I'm not a huge fan of multiquoting on different subjects

A colleague was wondering if there was a way to have one iTunes account shared between two iDevices, but with two separate iCloud accounts, one on each device. I said I'm sure it can be done, in fact I think I read on GAF that it can, I'm just not sure which post it was now.

He's already using the one iTunes account, so is it as simple as setting up a new iCloud account on the second device and leaving the original iCloud account on the first device?

you totally can. Probably the best way to go for a family. One itunes account for pooled purchases, then separate icloud for synchronising bookmarks, contacts etc. Plus then you each get the 5GB icloud storage.

Mr. Tone

sorry, when I'm catching up with a thread I tend to reply as I go. It can look spammy so I've edited now. Also I'm not a huge fan of multiquoting on different subjects

you totally can. Probably the best way to go for a family. One itunes account for pooled purchases, then separate icloud for synchronising bookmarks, contacts etc. Plus then you each get the 5GB icloud storage.

I'm not really having a go at you, it's just that one doesn't often see five consecutive posts from the same person!

PaulLFC

Thanks. So he just needs to set up a second iCloud account on the second iDevice and it's as simple as that for using two accounts?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
First time on the train with the new iPad...time to test this LTE for my everyday commute. If it makes it the whole way I'll lose my mind in joy.

AT&T 3G only available at most stops and is dog slow on others.

PaulLFC

Atomic Browser is brilliant. Worth it just for 3-finger tap to go fullscreen with no menubars, but there's loads of other great options too which make it worth it. Great to see it was universal so I already had it from when I had my 3GS a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom