• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

It seems faster, it has lots of cool options, gestures, etc. It's just a very polished feature rich browser.

Atomic Browser is brilliant. Worth it just for 3-finger tap to go fullscreen with no menubars, but there's loads of other great options too which make it worth it. Great to see it was universal so I already had it from when I had my 3GS a couple of years ago.

But Atomic's UI looks so ugly compared to iCab or Dolphin HD.

kruskev

um wow. It seems that my iPad does not even charge the battery if I have it turned on. The only way to charge the battery is to actually turn if off and leave it plugged in for hours. This seems a bit ridiculous to me.

kinggroin

Banned
Can you lock atomic browser as default? For example, if I open a web link in an e-mail, it'll go to atomic instead of safari.

Fucking loving the iPad. Took a lot of shit from my some of my android fanboy buddies, but it's their loss. I do miss widgets though. Much less so on a tablet than on a phone however, how weird is that?

Cheebo

Banned
um wow. It seems that my iPad does not even charge the battery if I have it turned on. The only way to charge the battery is to actually turn if off and leave it plugged in for hours. This seems a bit ridiculous to me.

That isn't true. You can have it on while charging. Are you trying to use a iPhone charger or something?

Blackhead

Redarse
That isn't true. You can have it on while charging. Are you trying to use a iPhone charger or something?

It depends on what he's doing while plugged. Even with the iPhone it was possible to drain the battery while playing an intensive game or multitasking an intensive program (say gps navigation) even while plugged in to a wall outlet. I've seen the new iPad drain slowly/not charge while I'm plugged into the wall and only browsing the web at the highest brightness setting.

My main use pc front USB ports can't charge my iPad at all, my mac mini USB ports can but only once I sign in on the mac, if it sleeps it's not powerful enough, and of course my included wall charger will juice it rather well if left alone.

It's a mixed bag.

jts

...hate me...
ES/IT/PT/MX/NL/etc-GAF... the hell with the new iPad? It's coming out next Friday and still no pre-order page at all?

Starting to doubt the launch date :/

When I charged my iPad yesterday, I saw it going up from 5 to 6% while browsing.

Best web browser for the iPad, other than safari, is the mercury web browser. It has all the features you want, plus it doesn't have an ugly UI.

But is it free? e: It is! Gonna try it.

kruskev

I wasn't hearing the chime when you plug in the pin connector to the iPad so I just switched it out for my iPhone pin connector. It seems to be charging now. I guess I got a lemon pin connector.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
First time on the train with the new iPad...time to test this LTE for my everyday commute. If it makes it the whole way I'll lose my mind in joy.

AT&T 3G only available at most stops and is dog slow on others.

Looks like Verizon LTE dominates AT&T 3G when it's outdoors. Great speeds and coverage the entire train ride...until we entered the tunnel to the city. The moment we're in the tunnel the service is lost entirely.

On AT&T the tunnel yields near flawless signal strength the entire time in, but is flakey before that.

Usually going to be reading on the train which doesn't require an internet connection, but it's good to know that there is a clear transition when I hit that tunnel. A little disappointed, but I believe it's a known thing that Verizon's building penetration wasn't as good as AT&Ts. Didn't know if that transferred over to the LTE side of things, but apparently it does.

Bleh!

Cheebo

Banned
So after extended use of the new iPad this weekend this is what I'd want from a 4th Gen revision:

-Reduced width and weight to the form factor
-Reduced heat during usage
-A6 chipset with a quad-core CPU (GPU is fine as is)
-Further improved cameras (in particular the facetime front facing camera)
-Magnet based dock connector ala the MacBooks
-As always more RAM

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looks like Verizon LTE dominates AT&T when it's outdoors. Great speeds and coverage the entire train ride...until we entered the tunnel to the city. The moment we're in the tunnel the service is lost entirely.

On AT&T the tunnel yields near flawless signal strength the entire time in, but is flakey before that.

Usually going to be reading on the train which doesn't require an internet connection, but it's good to know that there is a clear transition when I hit that tunnel. A little disappointed, but I believe it's a known thing that Verizon's building penetration wasn't as good as AT&Ts. Didn't know if that transferred over to the LTE side of things, but apparently it does.

Bleh!

doesn't it switch to AT&T in the tunnel?

Vyer

Looks like Verizon LTE dominates AT&T when it's outdoors. Great speeds and coverage the entire train ride...until we entered the tunnel to the city. The moment we're in the tunnel the service is lost entirely.

Bleh!

You've got two devices, testing each LTE? That's interesting. Is it both iPads? Where are you testing? What kind of speed are you getting?

So after extended use of the new iPad this weekend this is what I'd want from a 4th Gen revision:

-As always more RAM

Add inductive charging and something insane only Apple would implement and I would be happy.

RubxQub

doesn't it switch to AT&T in the tunnel?
It can't switch to AT&T unless I put an AT&T SIM card in it, I believe. I have no intention of doing that unless I travel abroad or something.

You've got two devices, testing each LTE? That's interesting. Is it both iPads? Where are you testing? What kind of speed are you getting?

This is an LTE iPad on Verizon vs. the standard 3G iPhone 4S on AT&T.

Entirely possible that AT&Ts LTE would crap out in the same situation (the tunnel), but the fallback to the 3G network would at least work. On my iPad, the device just outright lost service of any kind until I hit a station, gained it back, and lost it again when the train pushed through the tunnel to the next stop.

Can't confirm if AT&T LTE would do the same, but again...at least the fallback network I know would work (from my 4S experience).

Vyer

It can't switch to AT&T unless I put an AT&T SIM card in it, I believe. I have no intention of doing that unless I travel abroad or something.

This is an LTE iPad on Verizon vs. the standard 3G iPhone 4S on AT&T.

Entirely possible that AT&Ts LTE would crap out in the same situation (the tunnel), but the fallback to the 3G network would at least work. On my iPad, the device just outright lost service of any kind until I hit a station, gained it back, and lost it again when the train pushed through the tunnel to the next stop.

Can't confirm if AT&T LTE would do the same, but again...at least the fallback network I know would work (from my 4S experience).

Ah,ok. When you said 'Verizon lte dominates AT&T outdoors' I thought you meant a comparison of each LTE. It makes sense of course that the lte would dominate the 3G so I wasn't clear on that.

Enco

Is there limited stock in Apple stores now or would they still have all sizes/colors/etc?

I think you should be fine if you wanna go in and buy one. Some models have less stock than others (guessing black 32gb wifi) but they had a crap load of stock to start with.

Just bought the smart cover. Just need something for the back now.

Rugasuki

-As always more RAM

Other things they could add:

802.11AC
Up to 128 gigabytes of storage
Worldwide LTE support
NFC
Haptic feedback
Gorilla Glass 2
USB 3 and/or thunderbolt for faster transfer and charging through the port.
Liquid metal body
Faster touch detection like here: http://blog.laptopmag.com/microsoft-shows-off-a-truly-instantaneous-1-millisecond-tablet-touch-screen

X-Frame

Looks like Verizon LTE dominates AT&T 3G when it's outdoors. Great speeds and coverage the entire train ride...until we entered the tunnel to the city. The moment we're in the tunnel the service is lost entirely.

Bleh!

1. Do you take the Hudson line in?

2. Can you report back in how well LTE does in your building? I'm on the 21st floor in midtown in a building next to Bryant Park. I get pathetic 3G (well, AT&T 4G) speeds in my building and am curious about your building penetration comment.

I'm getting .92 down and .09 up right now, and it's worse around lunch time. I worry even if people report 30 down in NYC I'd bet I would get 5 max.

RubxQub

1. Do you take the Hudson line in?

2. Can you report back in how well LTE does in your building? I'm on the 21st floor in midtown in a building next to Bryant Park. I get pathetic 3G (well, AT&T 4G) speeds in my building and am curious about your building penetration comment.

I'm getting .92 down and .09 up right now, and it's worse around lunch time. I worry even if people report 30 down in NYC I'd bet I would get 5 max.

"The city" in this case is Philly :p

AndTAR

About that dreaded Safari tab killing. Has anyone had it happen? I assume it does not if Safari is the only app being used, but what about when multitasking? Could I still return to Safari after some quick gaming, only to see every single tab wiped from memory?

iPad 2 seemed to go crazy with it sometimes. Would be great if you could just quickly load up some pages in Safari, go outside, and have relative peace of mind that the pages wouldn't suddenly evaporate.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
About that dreaded Safari tab killing. Has anyone had it happen? I assume it does not if Safari is the only app being used, but what about when multitasking? Could I still return to Safari after some quick gaming, only to see every single tab wiped from memory?

iPad 2 seemed to go crazy with it sometimes. Would be great if you could just quickly load up some pages in Safari, go outside, and have relative peace of mind that the pages wouldn't suddenly evaporate.

only have ipad 1 to compare with, but its much, much better. I don't remember a tab reloading while I was still in safari, and even task switching to another app and coming back later they were often still there (playing a big game or something would often mean they'd refresh though).

Even better, pressing 'back' often gave me an instant result so its even caching those as much as it can.

What do you guys think of iPhoto and iMovie?

Not sure about iphoto. Journals are cute but I wish it wouldn't auto-move photos around when I'm trying to put one in a particular place. Needs a little more control. Hopefully that feature will come to the desktop anyway.

for retouching I'm not sure i see the point. The photos need to be on your ipad to do that - maybe using the built in camera or camera connector for quick tweaks before uploading? But I put all mine on computer first, and they don't get into iphoto until they've been catalogued and edited.

Tobor

I've managed to burn through 600MB of my 2GB LTE cap and still have 28 days left in the cycle. 0.0

I was messing with it quite a bit testing it though, so hopefully my usage will settle down.

RubxQub

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this iPad launch.

In my mind, either Apple had a crapload of supply this time around or demand was substantially lower...if TCooks is to be trusted, that means that supply must have been huge.

On launch day I was able to walk into a Best Buy after they'd been open for 2 hours already and got the exact iPad I wanted. There was a steady flow of people coming in to get theirs as well and it seemed like everyone was getting what they wanted.

Pre-orders probably kept line-waiters to a minimum, but it seems like even for folks who waited in line there was plenty to go around at your traditional points of sale.

Will be curious to see the actual sales numbers.

I've managed to burn through 600MB of my 2GB LTE cap and still have 28 days left in the cycle. 0.0

I was messing with it quite a bit testing it though, so hopefully my usage will settle down.

Thank god for unlimited LTE on AT&T, I've already gone through 3GB. I don't even know how I did that.

RubxQub

Thank god for unlimited LTE on AT&T, I've already gone through 3GB. I don't even know how I did that.

I see much throttling in your future... :(

In my mind, either Apple had a crapload of supply this time around or demand was substantially lower...if TCooks is to be trusted, that means that supply must have been huge.

On launch day I was able to walk into a Best Buy after they'd been open for 2 hours already and got the exact iPad I wanted. There was a steady flow of people coming in to get theirs as well and it seemed like everyone was getting what they wanted.

Pre-orders probably kept line-waiters to a minimum, but it seems like even for folks who waited in line there was plenty to go around at your traditional points of sale.

we need to remember T Cook is a supply chain guy.

Tobor

I figured out what I did. I was using it to play music yesterday at a get together. There was no wifi and no music was stored locally yet, meaning it was downloading every song from iCloud over LTE.

I'll have to be careful about that.

Anecdotal but I was told by an Apple Store employee that they received 1700 for launch day. I got my 16gb from fedex Friday afternoon and walked it around 5pm to exchange it for a 32gb with no wait or hassle at all. Tim Cook did make the comment that they had "record sales" this weekend but is not ready to give us a number. Having preorders definitely helped the lines this year too. I was planning on selling my spare iPad that'll arrive in a few days but it seems like supply is plentiful so back to Apple it goes lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I will say that it does take forever for this iPad to charge, even when not using it. My 2 would charge full in an hour, 2 at most. If I am using the new one at all while charging it may go up 1% every 30 minutes. Not using it, it took all night to charge.

It's understandable, but kind of sucks.

Other than that, no complaints. :p

darthbob

I will say that it does take forever for this iPad to charge, even when not using it. My 2 would charge full in an hour, 2 at most. If I am using the new one at all while charging it may go up 1% every 30 minutes. Not using it, it took all night to charge.

It's understandable, but kind of sucks.

Other than that, no complaints. :p

Charging over USB or with the 10W wall adapter? Mine charges from 50% to 100% over the adapter in about 90min.

Been using iA Writer which is brilliant. A very clean and clutter-free interface, perfect for writing documents or scripts. Been writing my wedding speech on it! :)

Other things they could add:

802.11AC: pending low-power, portable friendly chipsets
Up to 128 gigabytes of storage: definitely
Worldwide LTE support: supporting every band has some hardware implications, not sure if possible yet
NFC: waiting for something to emerge, I imagine
Haptic feedback: If something was ready for primetime...
Gorilla Glass 2: seem to be using their own brand of it
USB 3 and/or thunderbolt for faster transfer and charging through the port: USB not happening, especially USB3. Thunderbolt seems unlikely due to power draw and PCI interface requirements
Liquid metal body: what does this gain?
Faster touch detection like here: Absolutely needed but no shippable tech! As the guy in the video says, 1ms is his target for the next decade, which is a little unfortunate because the video does a really, really great job of showing why we need latency fixed more than a high resolution screen. (The TF Prime claims 50ms, though)

I think Apple's top priority is still power draw, which will come before almost any tech option they consider adding. Improved power draw is the gateway towards returning to iPad 2 batteries and frames (lighter/smaller), inevitable CPU/GPU improvements, and even the basic tech we expect to see like 802.11AC. Everything else, whether it be haptic or Thunderbolt or whatever, really depends on what sort of component cost and power profile they are looking at. They can't really afford to run hotter or heavier.

numble

Huge supply. The Hong Kong scalping market is dead because of the constant huge supply at both the primary Apple Store and Apple resellers.

Top Bottom