• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

see5harp

I feel stupid now! Thanks.

For books and smaller files like music and comics it works fantastic, probably as good as anything I've used. Not sure how long it would take for a large file but you can literally have your iPad plugged into the wall in your living room and move stuff around from your bedroom. It's pretty awesome.

I just noticed tha 4 finger touch swipe will switch you between apps running without having to double press the home button, is this new or an ipad only thing?

Really good for swapping between the browser and youtube app, just a shame the video will stop playing when not in focus :(

Mastgrr

What do you guys think of iPhoto and iMovie?

iPhoto is basically the perfect app for managing photos on the device. Once you acquire thousands and thousands of photos, some form of organization becomes a necessity. And iPhoto lets you do this without having to hook it up to a computer.

iMovie is incredibly fun. It's got all the features anyone will need to make movies: various transitions, photo importing for slide shows, voice-over recording, music, etc. It's easy to use too. Some people don't like it - but I do, a whole lot!

AndTAR

I just noticed tha 4 finger touch swipe will switch you between apps running without having to double press the home button, is this new or an ipad only thing?

Really good for swapping between the browser and youtube app, just a shame the video will stop playing when not in focus :(
An iPad-only thing, introduced officially with iOS 5. A jailbreak tweak can enable them on the iPhone, though the triggers are slightly different (edge, and not four-finger gestures.) You can also reveal the multitasking bar by swiping upwards, or return to the home screen by pinching inwards.

Assuming you're using the new iPad, how long is the delay in the gesture you mention? I'm talking about the delay from the end of the animation, to the new app starts responding. It was almost 3 seconds on the iPad 2, does it seem any faster on the new model?

If you go into settings, it has other gestures you can do like the pinches.

And the light bleeding is obviously an issue with production, but does anyone think the heat is a symptom of the form factor or production?

Soybean

Sorry if this was posted, but the iPad 3 display is very good!
http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_ShootOut_1.htm
Improved Color Saturation and Color Accuracy: A major shortcoming of the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 is their reduced Color Gamut, they only have 61-64 percent of the sRGB-Rec.709 Standard Color Gamut needed for accurate color reproduction. That produces images with noticeably under saturated colors, particularly reds, blues and purples. This is due to efficiency issues from the Backlight LEDs. Apple claims “44 percent greater color saturation.” Technically it’s not clear what that means in this context, but the new iPad has a virtually perfect 99 percent of the Standard Color Gamut (a 38 percent improvement over the iPad 2). The colors are beautiful and accurate due to very good factory calibration – they are also “more vibrant” but not excessively so or gaudy like some existing OLED displays.
But power hungry:
Much Lower Display Power Efficiency: The new iPad uses 2.5 times the Backlight power of the iPad 2 for the same screen Brightness. As discussed above that results from the TFT transistors in the LCD blocking much more of the light at higher ppi. On the other hand, the highest ppi iPhone 4 is the most power efficient display of all because it uses Low Temperature Poly Silicon LTPS, which is much more efficient than amorphous silicon in the iPads. All of this points to the need for the IGZO display technology discussed above, which is more efficient and lower cost than LTPS. It should be in production shortly, and is the first in a whole series of enhanced Metal Oxide semiconductors for LCD and OLED displays.

MooSeePoo

Neo Member
I seem to have a dead pixel on my screen, bottom 3rd on the furthest 3rd right of the screen.

Whats the policy on this with Apple? Anyone know or had experience?

Called Apple over the weekend and they told me to head over to my local Apple store for a swap out. When I got there I was asked if I had a Genius Bar appointment; which I didn't (I didn't even know I needed one).

I was basically told to come back with an appointment (None available that day).

Phoned Apple again this morning and they have a courier calling me to arrange a pick-up. In the meantime they are sending me out another device but it seems that it's not going to arrive until April 11th! :-(

I'm wondering if it's worth it. I'm also worried about getting a new device which has a problem even worse than the dead pixel. I've looked over my iPad and can't see any blacklight bleed so I'm really struggling to decide one way or another!

In the mean-time, I picked up a cheap-ass case to tide me over until I can get a proper case:

Link

I'm thinking of just getting a standard Apple Smartcover and then getting a slip-case to store the iPad in when I'm not using it or putting it into another bag to travel with. Anyone have any experience with the following:

Komo iPad Sleeve

Jivo Executive Buckle Case (I'm not sure about this one as I'm worried about impact of the buckle if the case is dropped "face-down"

An iPad-only thing, introduced officially with iOS 5. A jailbreak tweak can enable them on the iPhone, though the triggers are slightly different (edge, and not four-finger gestures.) You can also reveal the multitasking bar by swiping upwards, or return to the home screen by pinching inwards.

Assuming you're using the new iPad, how long is the delay in the gesture you mention? I'm talking about the delay from the end of the animation, to the new app starts responding. It was almost 3 seconds on the iPad 2, does it seem any faster on the new model?

only tried it between browsing and youtube but it felt like once the screen stopped scrolling it was ready to go, might vary on games, I can test it a little later as I have work to attend :(

I have a dumb question for UK Gaf, or just those who are in the know-how.

I need to send an iPad or Gift Card to be used in the Apple Store to someone in Jersey, Channeling Islands, from the UK (I don't live in the UK, but anyway)

If I send the iPad from the UK, to Jersey, will everything work out okay? App store wise and more?

If I send a gift card from the UK, will the person be able to buy an ipad at a Jersey (St. Heiler) Apple Store? I researched and they do have one in that city. Will currency be an issue?

What kind of issues can I expect?

Rugasuki

So after extended use of the new iPad this weekend this is what I'd want from a 4th Gen revision:

-Reduced width and weight to the form factor
-Reduced heat during usage
-A6 chipset with a quad-core CPU (GPU is fine as is)
-Further improved cameras (in particular the facetime front facing camera)
-Magnet based dock connector ala the MacBooks
-As always more RAM

802.11AC: pending low-power, portable friendly chipsets
Up to 128 gigabytes of storage: definitely
Worldwide LTE support: supporting every band has some hardware implications, not sure if possible yet
NFC: waiting for something to emerge, I imagine
Haptic feedback: If something was ready for primetime...
Gorilla Glass 2: seem to be using their own brand of it
USB 3 and/or thunderbolt for faster transfer and charging through the port: USB not happening, especially USB3. Thunderbolt seems unlikely due to power draw and PCI interface requirements
Liquid metal body: what does this gain?
Faster touch detection like here: Absolutely needed but no shippable tech! As the guy in the video says, 1ms is his target for the next decade, which is a little unfortunate because the video does a really, really great job of showing why we need latency fixed more than a high resolution screen. (The TF Prime claims 50ms, though)

I think Apple's top priority is still power draw, which will come before almost any tech option they consider adding. Improved power draw is the gateway towards returning to iPad 2 batteries and frames (lighter/smaller), inevitable CPU/GPU improvements, and even the basic tech we expect to see like 802.11AC. Everything else, whether it be haptic or Thunderbolt or whatever, really depends on what sort of component cost and power profile they are looking at. They can't really afford to run hotter or heavier.

When I said USB 3 and/or thunderbolt I didn't mean them actually having the ports built in but using a proprietary connector on the ipad that would just be updated to support one of those standards. Here's a link to a patent they made for just this type of connector. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/05/apple_granted_patent_for_dock_connector_with_usb_3_0_thunderbolt.html

Liquid metal, I don't know a lot about but I would expect it could make the body more rigid and less prone to dents or nicks. Maybe also better heat dissipation and/or reduced weight? It may also reduce waste or the need to recycle what is cut away in the manufacturing process of the current aluminum body. I guess composites are another potential materials choice going forward. I just assume Apple will try to use new materials over time as a way to differentiate its products.

Apple does use Gorilla Glass and it seems inevitable that Gorilla Glass 2 is going to show up in the next iPhone and iPad. I don't think they had time to integrate it into this model. Assuming Apple make the Gorilla Glass 2 panel 20% thinner than the current glass it would retain the same strength properties as now but reduce the weight and also improve the touch feedback.

I do expect the next iPad to probably be thinner (probably thinner than the 2nd one at at that) and probably have improved battery life. They may be able to change the screen or LEDS to newer tech that that draws less power and also be to use smaller processes for the cpu/gpu and LTE.

Haptic feedback should be ready by the launch of the next iPad. Not sure if they will include it for cost reasons, but I think they should be a first mover in using the latest tech on that front. Ideally, they will add support for it in iOS 6 and put it in the next iPhone.

If you go into settings, it has other gestures you can do like the pinches.

And the light bleeding is obviously an issue with production, but does anyone think the heat is a symptom of the form factor or production?
They're using a more powerful backlight solution to shine through the more densely-packed pixels. I thought it was SpellTower that made mine warm, but thinking about it, it was probably when the sun came out, and my room got a lot brighter, making the auto-brightness kick up the backlight. It seems to go a lot dimmer than the iPad 2 when you turn the backlight all the way down also, which is good for reading in total darkness.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the backlight requirements that needed the denser batteries more than anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my only niggle is that the button edges are too sharp - eg the volume rocker and sleep/wake button have very defined edges which catch your fingers as they brush along the ipad. Quite a small thing to annoy me, but given Apple's apparant obsession with the tiniest detail, still a disappointment

i can also confirm the casecrown jacket does not sleep the ipad. not a problem if you manually sleep or have it set to sleep after x minutes, mine's set to 10 so I'll just let it sleep on its own

kinggroin

Banned
so I asked this a couple times a while back, but no answer.

What's the best solution to listening to Google music on the pad? Reports from last year were that the mobile website worked fine, but it doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

One reason we may be seeing very different charging times for our iPads could be the number of apps that are continuing to run in the background. The new iPad is much better at handling multitasking then previous models, in part because of the extra memory. It could be that more things are running than is apparent and it is having an impact on the charge time to a degree.

I noticed this on Saturday when I brought up a movie trailer on YouTube and shared it over to the AppleTV. It was taking forever to load however, so I closed the YouTube app and jumped onto Safari, where I proceeded to surf around for a bit. I didn't pay much attention to what was happening on the AppleTV and was surprised a few minutes later to see the video start. The iPad continued to load it in the background, even while I was doing other things, and then started streaming it without me interacting with it at all. My old first gen could never have done that and it was a revelation as to how well the new device can multi-task and what could possibly be running at the same time in the background.

giga

2dt4M.png

asRfp.png

(2.5x more power consumption by the backlight alone is crazy)

And about "yellow displays"…

2LZaU.png

Gamut_6.jpg

Mr. Tone

so I asked this a couple times a while back, but no answer.

What's the best solution to listening to Google music on the pad? Reports from last year were that the mobile website worked fine, but it doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

I've managed to get on the mobile site, somehow, and seems to work okay.

They're using a more powerful backlight solution to shine through the more densely-packed pixels. I thought it was SpellTower that made mine warm, but thinking about it, it was probably when the sun came out, and my room got a lot brighter, making the auto-brightness kick up the backlight. It seems to go a lot dimmer than the iPad 2 when you turn the backlight all the way down also, which is good for reading in total darkness.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the backlight requirements that needed the denser batteries more than anything.

Hmm. I was in the bathroom surfing the web when it was getting warm on me.

As a supporter of projectupgradeipadeveryyear, I'm disappointed with some of the design/use issues.

I wouldn't have minded waiting another six months if they had maybe worked out the weight/thickness and heat issues.

Originally Posted by Cheebo:
So after extended use of the new iPad this weekend this is what I'd want from a 4th Gen revision:

-Reduced width and weight to the form factor
-Reduced heat during usage
-A6 chipset with a quad-core CPU (GPU is fine as is)
-Further improved cameras (in particular the facetime front facing camera)

-Magnet based dock connector ala the MacBooks
-As always more RAM

Originally Posted by Crazymoogle:
802.11AC: Everything else, whether it be haptic or Thunderbolt or whatever, really depends on what sort of component cost and power profile they are looking at. They can't really afford to run hotter or heavier.

And isn't sad that we're already looking forward to the next iteration, despite enjoying the benefits of the new screen?

I don't see them adding all of that except for the bolded. We'll have to see the new iPhone to get some of the ideas they have planned for the next iteration.

And where are the stupid snap-on back cases compatible with smart covers?

2dt4M.png

asRfp.png

(2.5x more power consumption by the backlight alone is crazy)

And about "yellow displays"…

2LZaU.png

Gamut_6.jpg

Yes, the screen is wonderfully accurate. Many GAFers have simply been living with uncalibrated displays their whole lives and simply didn't know any better. This will be the most color-correct display in 99% of people's homes. Only those with a particularly expensive IPS display (ie. DreamColor) or color-calibrated HDTV will be able to claim equivalence or superiority.

HOWEVER, there are some who have iPads with blotches of yellow. It's not supposed to look like that and if you have one of those and it doesn't go away over the next few days, you should exchange it.

Guys, there IS variance among New iPad screens out there. I've seen it with my own eyes. I've got 2 32GB Black WiFi models sitting at my house, and one of them is noticeably more yellow (though slightly less so than my 4S).

I'm keeping the cooler one, because I prefer the way it displays white. I've had my 'warm' 4S since launch, and I still think it looks like crap comparatively. It's a personal preference thing, I guess.

see this pic for an example:

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/03/colors.jpg

iPad 3, yellow iPad 3, iPad 2

Any artists know if this thing will have more or less the kind of fidelity as a cintiq tablet?

I've been using my iPad as a digital sketchbook since the first generation. With a little work, I've been able to get some decent results using Sketchbook Pro and Art Rage (also combing the two).

Sketchbook Pro is by far the best art app out there. The iPad doesn't have pressure sensitivity but many of the brushes have tapering which read the speed of the stroke - giving that impression. It's not nearly as diverse as a cintiq but it irreplacable for me for working out ideas. Here's a couple old samples from my OG iPad:

149248_458599755775_676495775_6006240_6918990_n.jpg

155571_454840505775_676495775_5959995_986389_n.jpg

Reclaimer

Any artists know if this thing will have more or less the kind of fidelity as a cintiq tablet?

As an owner of both an iPad 3 and a Cintiq (as well as various other Wacom Intuos pen tablets) I can 100% say that the iPad is nowhere near a Cintiq in fidelity. The Cintiq has 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity (not to mention pen rotation and tilt detection) and the iPad has none of that. At all.

There will be some decent Bluetooth 4 iPad styluses coming out, that attempt to add some pressure sensitivity into the mix, but that will most likely only be "ok", and nowhere close to the accuracy of a Cintiq.

However... Thats not to say you can't get by without the facy features! You were just asking if it had the same fidelity.

That's not to say the iPad isnt great for artists! I regularly do rough thumbnails on it in Sketchbook, I can bring it with me to show clients anything that's in my Dropbox, I read GDC presentions on the train, and I'm able to hook it to a projector for my pitches and presentations. All of that I used to have to bring a laptop for, now it's just this small slab. :)

Edit: if you are looking for some decent sketching/painting apps... Sketchbook Pro and Procreate are both nice.

I have been playing a lot of Draw Something (on my OG iPad and now my new one) and don't see any problems or notice any difference.

Yeah I think its app specific which is really odd. First time I have seen an iOS app have compatibility issues in terms of performance rather than features

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does skyfire support any kind of flash, or only flash video? Eg could I use it to play the aliens board game on newgrounds?

I'm surprised by the power usage of the backlight - I always thought the backlight was a kind of fixed feature for a given brightness, and the LCD transistors simply filtered more or less of that through? And given the increased fill ratio of the new pixels I had hoped it'd need less backlight power for the same brightness (possibly more power to drive the actual transistors though). Maybe due to the way they've moved the driver circuitry behind the pixels blocks more light so they need to compensate?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
does skyfire support any kind of flash, or only flash video? Eg could I use it to play the aliens board game on newgrounds?

Just video from what I recall. You're going to want something like iSwifter to play flash games.

Mashing

Mine doesn't look like any of those pictures and the one of the left (the good one) looks too dark for that brightness level with auto-brightness turned off. I"m assuming they took those pictures in complete darkness?

Using the Sketchbook Pro app, you're on a screen that is higher resolution than even their 24" flagship model, and I believe of a higher quality in terms of colour accuracy. However, the Cintiq is just a monitor, so it can run the proper SketchBook Pro, which is far less laggy, and supports more layers and features, and the likes of Photoshop where you can set the canvas way beyond 2048x1536 anyway.

Plus, with Apple's stance on styluses, delivering the feel of a Wacom product is left to third party stylus manufacturers, and none of them have got it close to the sensitivity of a Cintiq, with its 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity.

So sadly we're still very far away from a Cintiq experience on iPad. But comparing the screen alone, well... it blows everything away for now.

[edit] oh... I missed Reclaimer's post. Yeah... what he said too.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Maybe this is why some people are flipping out about yellow screens and others aren't? I can't look at my screen and see yellow like everyone else claims to.

Did a light bleed test and saw a minuscule amount coming from the bottom left corner, but nothing egregious.

Happy with mine across the board. *hugs*

http://mashable.com/2012/03/19/ipad-retina-display-eye-strain/

We’ve seen how the new iPad‘s ultra-high-resolution retina display can improve the visibility of type and images, making the whole experience of interacting with the tablet more pleasing. But can it also ease the inherent strain that goes hand-in-hand with staring at a glowing screen, sometimes for hours on end?

Gary Heiting, an optometrist and associate editor of the site All About Vision, says yes.

“A key factor in something that’s called computer vision syndrome, or just eye strain from computer use, is screen resolution,” Heiting says. “The new iPad, with twice the resolution of the iPad 2, 264 ppi (pixels per inch) instead of 132, people are going to notice less pixelation, especially in a small typeface. It’s not just an enjoyment issue or an aesthetic issue, but it’s definitely a visual comfort isue, over time.”

Why is screen resolution such a key factor? It ties back into the whole rationale for creating a retina display in the first place, which is loosely described as a screen so sharp that it becomes impossible for a normal person to resolve individual pixels when it’s held at normal viewing distances. As Heiting describes it, the closer you can get the screen resolution to be similar to the human eye itself, the better it’s going to be in terms of visual comfort.

The iPad’s retina display would also ease some of the eye strain of playing games, says Heiting. Since games aren’t static like photos, they put more stress on the eye. Although the dynamic nature of games will always fatigue eyes faster than type, the upgraded screen can still help.

“When you’ve got movement going, that’s a whole new level of neurology involved in vision,” Heiting says. “So the greater clarity, the greater color saturation for gaming should make the new iPad significantly more comfortable on people’s eyes than the previous models.”

Heiting explains that it all depends on how close you hold the device to your eye. At typical distances — 12 inches for a smartphone, 15-17 inches for a tablet — Apple’s claims are true. If you hold your device closer, however, you may be able to see pixels. But he says you wouldn’t want to do that anyway.

“The closer you hold things to your eyes, not only the more your eyes have to focus, but the more they have to converge inwards. So it’s more stressful on your eyes, and your eyes are going to tire a lot quicker.”

more at link

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
lols coworker came in with an otterbox on his new retina pad.

He's such a goober too, he came by to show me his and was all like hey want to see the new ipad, and i say got one right here. He didnt quite know how to take the fact that he wasn't the only one with the new ipad in IT.

Top Bottom