• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Magnus

Just picked mine up. Using it now.

GOOD LORD THIS SCREEN. THIS SCREEN!!!!

So beautiful.

Alright. For someone brand new to the iPad in general, I have some stupid newb questions. First of all, will all of my iPhone apps be useable on here right away (albeit possibly in non retina form until updates are released), or only certain apps? is that what 'universal app' means in the Apple ecosystem?

And if there are iPad specific versions of apps I already own, do I actually need to buy the iPad specific version? Or would it be included with the purchase of the iPhone app?

Question 2: do you guys use the secondapps version of neogaf on your pad, or the original version? :)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
unfortunately it's a sunny day out so your ipad drawing of a penis isn't visible

People who read outside can suck it! Why aren't you running around or biking or golfing or playing tennis or hiking or something awesome?!

Why are you reading in direct sunlight anyways?! On the beach?! Enjoy the sand in your shiny new electronic device! Out in an open field? Why are you in an open field reading?! Get under a tree, you'er going to get burned alive!

Reading outdoors may be something some people do a lot, I won't try and pretend I know how everyone does their reading...but the number of people who read at all these days...and the people who read specifically outside enough to the point that direct sunlight is a problem is weird to me. Reading is what I do when I'm not outside.

I just think that the direct sunlight is a weird use case that is in no way applicable to me...and I doubt many people. But who knows, maybe I'm just blathering like an idiot who hates eInk irrationally!

Alright. For someone brand new to the iPad in general, I have some stupid newb questions. First of all, will all of my iPhone apps be useable on here right away (albeit possibly in non retina form until updates are released), or only certain apps? is that what 'universal app' means in the Apple ecosystem?
All iPhone apps work, but they just look like iPhone apps, and don't fit the screen properly.

iPhone apps may never get a 'retina' update for iPad, unless they become 'universal'.

A universal app is optimised for both iPhone and iPad. But many universal and iPad-only apps are also not updated for retina yet.

LOL! Not a fan of reading outdoors either and never have been. Even back in the day when we had these things called books, I didn't enjoy it. Bright sunshine on a white page is worse on my eyes than and LCD screen has ever been. Ouch!

So when people make the argument about using an iPad vs. an e-ink display outside I just laugh it off. Even if I had a Kindle, still wouldn't be using it outside.

Well, it seems that the left side of my ipad (in portrait) has a slightly more yellow look to it than the rest of my screen.. it is pretty slight..

If I had an apple store here (nearest one is 3 hours away) I'd probably go try for an exchange.. but all I have is a best buy.. I'm not sure if it is even worth trying that there..

plc268

The damn kindle vs ipad debate will never end, will it?

Can people just respect the fact that:

the kindle is a single use device designed to mimic paper and ONLY read books?

And that the ipad is a multipurpose device that's heavier and uses standard LCD technology to read books, watch movies, play games, etc.

And that the ipad is at least 5x more expensive than the kindle?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'll most likely end up taking my iPad to the Apple store later and comparing it to the ones on display. That's a good way to see what's up. Obviously they could be flawed too. If mine look like most of them then I'll be happy.

Blackhead

Redarse
People who read outside can suck it! Why aren't you running around or biking or golfing or playing tennis or hiking or something awesome?!

Why are you reading in direct sunlight anyways?! On the beach?! Enjoy the sand in your shiny new electronic device! Out in an open field? Why are you in an open field reading?! Get under a tree, you'er going to get burned alive!

Reading outdoors may be something some people do a lot, I won't try and pretend I know how everyone does their reading...but the number of people who read at all these days...and the people who read specifically outside enough to the point that direct sunlight is a problem is weird to me. Reading is what I do when I'm not outside.

I just think that the direct sunlight is a weird use case that is in no way applicable to me...and I doubt many people. But who knows, maybe I'm just blathering like an idiot who hates eInk irrationally!
You use your iPad on a train each day, right? Substitute 'train' for bus or cable car.

Vyer

outside on an early fall/late spring day, laid back on a hammock or nice chair with a good book (or ereader) and a drink and a cool breeze is fucking heavenly. C'mon folks, let's not act like reading outside is some sort of foreign concept. Gadget wars are stupid enough in general, no need to add to it. ;)

kaskade

I will always read books on my kindle, especially outside. Not only for the e ink but I'd rather have something happen to my 80 dollar kindle than my iPad. I'd probably only use the iPad to read if I already have it in my hand and dont feel like getting my kindle if i'm on the couch or something. Comparing them is dumb though.

see5harp

Seriously everyone should just buy the damn Kindle with offers. You probably spent more on Mass Effect 3 collector's edition a few weeks ago.

renitou

Reading outside beneath a tree on a breezy Spring day is one of life's pleasures. Using any LCD screen outdoors is a less than ideal experience, whatever the make or model. E-ink and paper are interchangably more well-suited to the task.

#imo

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
You use your iPad on a train each day, right? Substitute 'train' for bus or cable car.

I sit next to the window every morning so I don't buy that this is problem for daily commuter vehicles. It's not like I'm hiding under a tarp when I ride every morning myself!

In the morning it's typically not bright at all, and on the ride home it can be, but there's this sweet ability to pick which side of the train you sit on that I suspect is equally applicable to the cable car and bus folks (even though I've never ever actively chose a side to sit on based on sunlight ever...at all ever).

It just feels like people make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to the direct sunlight thing. If you read in direct sunlight THAT often, then sure...but otherwise? NEVER!

I'll shut up about eInk by the way, I have nothing against Kindles. I just like poking people who love to lean on the eye-strain argument

Burger

Question for UK gaf.

How long do purchases made on a visa debit card take to show up on your account? Either something went wrong or Apple hasn't processed the charge yet (from Sat morning), is this normal?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
you can read your ipad outside just fine, just dont expect the battery to last too long, i did this in belize but had to crank the brightness to 100% and was sitting under a palm tree. This was heavenly.

My gf reads outside all the time, typically under shade, its like a passtime for her. So yea reading outside is fun to some.

I will always read books on my kindle, especially outside. Not only for the e ink but I'd rather have something happen to my 80 dollar kindle than my iPad. I'd probably only use the iPad to read if I already have it in my hand and dont feel like getting my kindle if i'm on the couch or something. Comparing them is dumb though.

I feel the same way about my Nook Simple Touch. If I am going to accidentally damage a device I'm reading on, I'd rather it be the one that cost $99 and not the one that cost $729.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
you can read your ipad outside just fine, just dont expect the battery to last too long, i did this in belize but had to crank the brightness to 100% and was sitting under a palm tree. This was heavenly.

My gf reads outside all the time, typically under shade, its like a passtime for her. So yea reading outside is fun to some.

No, you really can't read outside with the ipad, unless you are sitting in the shade. It's the reason I bought my nook and kindle.

Finally got to have a hands on with one (co worker got his over the weekend)

-Better color reproduction is awesome. Since the iPhone 4/4S already introduced the retina the "retina" on the iPad isn't as striking. The colors however were a huge leap. The 4S is way too "cool" in its colors imo.

-Added weight immediately noticable over iPad2, not wrist breaking, but it is there.

Probably going to wait till next iteration, but I definitively would buy this if I didn't have the iPad2 or was able to trade up my 2 for a decent amount. Glad to know this screen is standard going forward. Any other shit in the next gen is just bonus.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I know it's been asked and answered a billion times, but can anyone recommend a good back cover to go alone with the smart cover?

Jezbollah

Question for UK gaf.

How long do purchases made on a visa debit card take to show up on your account? Either something went wrong or Apple hasn't processed the charge yet (from Sat morning), is this normal?

It took my order a good few days from order placement to card charge. It will happen soon :)

I know it's been asked and answered a billion times, but can anyone recommend a good back cover to go alone with the smart cover?
I'm waiting on the new version of the Nuu BaseCase as it's still the best looking and most invisible one I've found, but they aren't shipping until April 10th.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
No, you really can't read outside with the ipad, unless you are sitting in the shade. It's the reason I bought my nook and kindle.

what exactly did i just say? I said i was sitting under a palm tree reading it just fine.

giga

For the iPad 2, I used a generic black TPU case for like $5. My goal was to get something that wasn't going to add a lot of weight and thickness, while also protecting against light bumps and scratches that can happen from everyday use.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VFKANM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

31ZHPdj5TxL.jpg

41ZQvVA9XdL.jpg

For $5, it was pretty good. I'm not sure if it fits the new iPad though since I no longer have it. The manufacturer, Cimo, sells a new one marketed for the new iPad at a higher price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-SMART...ccessories&hash=item4ab55a2780#ht_2655wt_1123

So this thing's pretty fast...

Just got that in my office in midtown manhattan.

Whoa! Impressive. Just ran SpeedTest on my Verizon model and in Austin, TX I'm getting more like 10.25 down, 1 up with only two bars of service. I'll test again later when I have a strong signal strength to see if that improves things.

Still very impressed with the LTE speeds.

Whoa! Impressive. Just ran SpeedTest on my Verizon model and in Austin, TX I'm getting more like 10.25 down, 1 up with only two bars of service. I'll test again later when I have a strong signal strength to see if that improves things.

Still very impressed with the LTE speeds.

It really is impressing me, I hate AT&T so I'm sure this won't last long but I've been getting 20 up and 20 down consistently since the iPad arrived. It's easier to watch sling box on it via LTE than it is via my home WiFi. Which probably says more about time warner to be honest.

I am enjoying my new iPad and its freaking amazing. Do any of you know of a case that integrates a keyboard like a laptop for the wife? she talks on messenger a lot and it would be a god send.

thanks in advance.

Top Bottom