• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Zeth

Here's a pic of my new iPad on the left of an iPad 2. I thought pretty much every comparison I've seen so far looked like this. Now the MacRumors pic says mine is defective?

vpZl0.jpg

It seems more likely that the left is accurate and the ipad 2 is extremely blue. I think people are used to really crappy blue-torch displays. Does anyone have a pic next to an iPad 2 that looks the same? Because according to the calibration experts the iPad 2 is bad isn't it?

I have done that I was just curious if anyone has one they would recommend. I suppose I should have worded that better.

thanks.

ah. I think a gaffer might have one. I saw a youtube video of a guy reviewing one.

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0T5CfL1Qsw&list=UUuP9XuaAF5OskkiEwNsDXLA&index=2&feature=plcp

Here's a pic of my new iPad on the left of an iPad 2. I thought pretty much every comparison I've seen so far looked like this. Now the MacRumors pic says mine is defective?
hey, if you're not happy with it, take that sommbitch back.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It really is impressing me, I hate AT&T so I'm sure this won't last long but I've been getting 20 up and 20 down consistently since the iPad arrived. It's easier to watch sling box on it via LTE than it is via my home WiFi. Which probably says more about time warner to be honest.

How much data have you gobbled down so far?

vpZl0.jpg

It seems more likely that the left is accurate and the ipad 2 is extremely blue. I think people are used to really crappy blue-torch displays. Does anyone have a pic next to an iPad 2 that looks the same? Because according to the calibration experts the iPad 2 is bad isn't it?

Good god thats nasty looking. The correct temperature does not turn white piss yellow. For your sake I hope your camera is making it look much worse than it is. On my iPad I can make it look like that by turning brightness most of the way down, but at your brightness it looks nothing like that.

kagete

Thanks for posting the secondapps mockup link, I really like it but it doesn't seem to allow me to login on my ipad for some reason. Is this also made by ckohler?

I'm currently getting annoyed by having to slide to unlock, hopefully that's something that gets patched out in the future. The wifi connection here at work is like hotel wifi (you're redirected to a webpage to login as soon as you connect) and my ipad automatically loses the wifi connection when the screen locks. It's getting to be pretty annoying as I'd have to enter wifi login information every single time I unlock the damn thing. It looks like I'd have to set my Auto-Lock to Never or maybe 15 minutes, but I wish the wifi wasn't like this. Doing some googling it seems like this is a well documented problem ever since the first ipad.

TimeKillr

Heh, it seems impossible to find one in Montreal at this point. Completely impossible - they're fully sold out *everywhere*, including the Apple Stores.

Fun. I was seriously thinking about picking one up tonight, but it seems I'm too late! They all say they should get new stock within a few weeks...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I feel really lucky with my iPad, first time owning a tablet, no leaking light from any edges at funny angles, no noticeable bleeding, no weird yellow tinges.

I've been interchanging between my iphone, macbook and ipad and haven't noticed any discrepancies between them, if it was a weird colour or something looked off I would've picked up on it.

If yours turns whites into yellow, take it back or check your settings.

SuperPac

Marware MicroShell or Artwizz SeeJacket Clip.

I ordered the Marware MicroShell yesterday - apparently it shipped already BUT, then I also got this email... kind of odd because the MicroShell itself doesn't have a sleep-wake feature. That'd be the MicroShell Folio case.

Marware email said:
Thank you for your order! We would like to update you regarding your recent purchase:

We are aware that there is a problem with the sleep/wake feature on some of our cases for the new iPad. We are working to quickly resolve this issue with the factory.

Case affected: MicroShell for the new iPad Black

We are currently holding all new orders until the problem is corrected. However, some cases shipped out before we could stop them. As a result, you may receive or have received a case for the new iPad without the sleep/wake feature.

If you received one of the cases that do not work, Marware will send a replacement at no cost. You bought this case for a reason, because Marware makes it.

You also know we'll make this right for you.

We apologize for this temporary inconvenience.

Marware Support Team

This is the first time I've ordered anything from them, and am impressed that they're getting out ahead of customer service issues. Whether my case is actually affected, I guess I'll just have to see when it comes!

EDIT: And they emailed out a retraction that my case wasn't the one affected. Hurrah!

railGUN

Banned
Is there a website (or websites) that track App sales, giveaways etc? And if so, is there a definitive one, or do you have to watch a few?

I'm probably the only one here who likes the warmer temperatures more than the white-blue tints. It's less harsh on the display and flatters the high resolution a lot more than cooler temps. My opinion of course.

its ok if its warm, its the unevenness of the color in the screen that is the main problem

Yep, based on many of the pictures people are posting, this is exactly the issue. Fanboys are screaming at complainers that it's all due to glue. It's pretty funny. Mine has the discoloration issue but I fear getting one that's much worse if I return it. Waiting a week to see if I can accept this, but right now I'm leaning towards returning it and waiting for them to get their shit together and then buy it again in a few months.

Anyone know of a snap on back cover that has a metal or magnetic strip so the smart cover will stick to it when folded back.

Saw one in here but I can't seem to find it.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Regarding the glue issue: This might have been true for the iPhone 4/4S due to it being laminated to the glass, and the laminate needing time to 'cure.' But the iPad's screen isn't laminated, so any discoloration is in the screen itself.

Regarding the glue issue: This might have been true for the iPhone 4/4S due to it being laminated to the glass, and the laminate needing time to 'cure.' But the iPad's screen isn't laminated, so any discoloration is in the screen itself.

Exactly. Anyone hoping the improper shading is magically going to disappear is deluded.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there a website (or websites) that track App sales, giveaways etc? And if so, is there a definitive one, or do you have to watch a few?

If you're looking to get a specific app, AppShopper.com is probably the best for price tracking / wishlisting.

darkwing

yup, i'd replace if my unit had that uneven yellow stain on the screen

mrkgoo

vpZl0.jpg

The left one looks yellow to me, but this is all moot, seeing as you probably took an auto balanced shot, thus rendering the right one white, and the left one yellow. Yu can use any camera and make either iPad look 'wrong'.

Also, colour temp of your screens can be a subjective thing. A lot of people prefer a slight blue, since it's what they're used to. Not to mention the human brain actually balances a lot of colour for you.

renitou

Anyone hear anything about the new iPad overheating? Apparently reaching 117•F
Anecdotal from the floor model at Best Buy, which I know doesn't translate directly to a normal day-to-day experience, but I was pretty surprised by the heat coming off the back. I owned an iPad 1 for several months, and have played around extensively with an iPad 2, and neither gave off anything approaching the heat here. Could it have been running hotter due to being plugged in, perhaps?

It was no warmer than the bottom of my MacBook Air after an extended session, but a noticeable, minor detraction.

Anecdotal from the floor model at Best Buy, which I know doesn't translate directly to a normal day-to-day experience, but I was pretty surprised by the heat coming off the back. I owned an iPad 1 for several months, and have played around extensively with an iPad 2, and neither gave off anything approaching the heat here. Could it have been running hotter due to being plugged in, perhaps?
Absolutely. The iPad 2 used to get warm while plugged in. Plus store lighting means full backlight, which I believe is the biggest power draw in the new iPad.

It was no warmer than the bottom of my MacBook Air after an extended session, but a noticeable, minor detraction.

My sister and brother-in-law went to buy one at an Apple Store and ended up not doing so because of the heat of the display units. It's a fair concern, but I let them know that mine never heats up. Granted my brightness is usually turned down, I never use auto-brightness and Bluetooth is always off.

Anyone hear anything about the new iPad overheating? Apparently reaching 117•F

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/ipad-overheating-problems-issues-complaints_n_1362659.html

Want your egss cooked? There's an app for that.

Hmm. I'll definitely follow this story. I might return mine tomorrow and see if I can get one that runs cooler (of course, I'll check out display models to see if the issue surfaces on them).

And those sales numbers are crazy. ASUS, Motorola and Samsung must be green with envy.

Zeth

The left one looks yellow to me, but this is all moot, seeing as you probably took an auto balanced shot, thus rendering the right one white, and the left one yellow. Yu can use any camera and make either iPad look 'wrong'.

Also, colour temp of your screens can be a subjective thing. A lot of people prefer a slight blue, since it's what they're used to. Not to mention the human brain actually balances a lot of colour for you.

Used 4S camera. If there's a method of photographing it that will be more accurate please tell me. Camera+ doesn't seem to have white balance settings.

I should also mention that it doesnt look yellow at all when I'm using it, nor are there any inconsistencies in different places.

Zeth

Good god thats nasty looking. The correct temperature does not turn white piss yellow. For your sake I hope your camera is making it look much worse than it is. On my iPad I can make it look like that by turning brightness most of the way down, but at your brightness it looks nothing like that.

Do you have an iPad 2 to compare with yours? I can't tell it's yellow unless it's next to the blue iPad 2.

For the iPad 2, I used a generic black TPU case for like $5. My goal was to get something that wasn't going to add a lot of weight and thickness, while also protecting against light bumps and scratches that can happen from everyday use.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VFKANM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

31ZHPdj5TxL.jpg

41ZQvVA9XdL.jpg

For $5, it was pretty good. I'm not sure if it fits the new iPad though since I no longer have it. The manufacturer, Cimo, sells a new one marketed for the new iPad at a higher price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-SMART...ccessories&hash=item4ab55a2780#ht_2655wt_1123
Had a look into these, and found a few very similar looking TPU cases on eBay... they're not branded Cimo, but they seem to be using identical photos...

Anyway... I just bought this, to tide me over until my BaseCase ships... so I'll report back. For a fiver I'm not expecting much...

Just got my Aura2 case. Definitely my favorite so far.

HOWEVER, there is some bowing going on around the home button and front facing camera. I'll just have to wait and see if that lays flat after awhile.

Otherwise it's a great portfolio-style case.

Top Bottom