• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

DJ_Lae

Man, UPS.

Anyone in Canada still waiting on theirs to be delivered? The wait is excruciating, and that's even with avoiding any impressions over the weekend.

railGUN

Banned
Man, UPS.

Anyone in Canada still waiting on theirs to be delivered? The wait is excruciating, and that's even with avoiding any impressions over the weekend.

Got mine today, but I already bought one on Friday from WalMart. I'm trying to convince my wife to keep the 2nd one for her, since she'll constantly want to read books on mine, but if she doesn't keep it, it's getting shipped back.

DJ_Lae

Got mine today, but I already bought one on Friday from WalMart. I'm trying to convince my wife to keep the 2nd one for her, since she'll constantly want to read books on mine, but if she doesn't keep it, it's getting shipped back.

I thought about doing that but I foolishly ordered an engraved one.

I actually changed my mind on that about two hours after placing my order, but it's insane how quickly those first day orders were processed and I couldn't cancel.

Holy hell that smartfeather shell looks pretty nice. What was that case that Norm was using?
Yeah I really liked the design of the Smartfeather too, until I realised it had hooks for the Smart Cover. The Nuu BaseCase was the closest design I could find to the SmartFeather that just had a space for the hinge instead of hooks. The Speck is similar too, but with an extra magnet on the back to hold the Smart Cover in an open position. It looks a fair bit thicker though, so I'm not sure it would be as light as the SmartFeather or BaseCase.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is TPU a slightly softer plastic? Looking for a clear/translucent rear cover and was looking at the speck with the metal strip to hold the cover open, or the incipio smart feather. But are they both hard plastic?

giga

New iPad is a dud: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/03/19New-iPad-Tops-Three-Million.html

CUPERTINO, California―March 19, 2012―Apple® today announced it has sold three million of its incredible new iPad®, since its launch on Friday, March 16. The new iPad features a stunning new Retina™ display, Apple’s new A5X chip with quad-core graphics, a 5 megapixel iSight® camera with advanced optics for capturing amazing photos and 1080p HD video, and still delivers the same all-day 10 hour battery life* while remaining amazingly thin and light. iPad Wi-Fi + 4G supports ultrafast 4G LTE networks in the US and Canada, and fast networks around the world including those based on HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA.**

“The new iPad is a blockbuster with three million sold―the strongest iPad launch yet,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Customers are loving the incredible new features of iPad, including the stunning Retina display, and we can't wait to get it into the hands of even more customers around the world this Friday.”

The new iPad is already available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, UK and the US Virgin Islands and will be available in 24 more countries starting at 8:00 a.m. local time on Friday, March 23 through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers, including Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Is TPU a slightly softer plastic? Looking for a clear/translucent rear cover and was looking at the speck with the metal strip to hold the cover open, or the incipio smart feather. But are they both hard plastic?
Yes, it's like a flexible faux plastic/leather feel. The smart feather isn't TPU, it's hard plastic.

Yeah the TPU stuff is almost like gel, so they hook over the bezel quite a bit more. The better quality shells tend to be hard plastics, which clip nicely onto the very edge of the aluminium.

The hard shells definitely look smarter, and will offer better impact protection on the back. The benefit of the TPU is that it's more stretchy, so the iPad 2 ones all fit the iPad 3.

To supplement my smartcover, I also managed to get this (before it ended up backordered):

c.jpg

It's Switcheasy's new version of the Canvas case - minus the hook from the ipad2 version. Switcheasy also sells sleeves too.

There was also that link for the belkin back cover posted here...have to find it again. I want the navy cover to match my smart cover.

I find myself going with this company a lot because they offer a lot while keeping their prices reasonable, especially when shipping.

Yep the iPad fad is beginning to wane, it seems!

Weren't the sales strong when it released but started to stagnate as the year rolled along? And I wonder what is Apples goal's or measuring stick to determine mass market penetration?

But 3 million...jeez. I wonder how many Android tablets have been sold in 2012 Q1?

Man, UPS.

Holy crap!

Well, I guess with the weekend that makes sense. Still makes me happy that I didn't pre-order from Apple was able to drop into a local Apple retailer here in Calgary on Friday morning opening. Was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

giga

Three million? That's it? I'm surprised the ipad2 conversion ratio isn't higher. Shoulda been 12 million, at least, for this thing to stand a chance at become a household piece of tech for tomorrow's today.
Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to see netbooks make a comeback, now that consumers are done with this fad.

DJ88

One of the big reasons I wanted an iPad was to create electronic music on it. Now that I finally got it I downloaded the app I was looking forward to the most and holy shit it has not disappointed.
iSequence is just perfect for me. Not to complicated for someone that's starting out, but way more than enough to make some really awesome sounding stuff.

I've been messing around with melodies and basslines today and this is what I came up with. It's not finished since I spent no time on the progression of the song, just a quick dirty edit. Little bit of cheesy trance, but I like it for my first song produced on an iPad.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8732349/Trancey.wav

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I bought my folks a 64bit Wifi model as an anniversary gift (they'd been wanting one). There was a very long line at the Apple store in the mall on Sunday when I went to go purchase it so I just went down the street to Best Buy, walked in, and walked out. No problem. I gave it to them early (their anniversary is in May) and they love it.

Anyone know a good stylus pen to use with sketchbook pro? Preferably with a sharper point and not a nub.

I would like to know this as well. I was thinking about purchasing my own iPad to do sketches and stuff but I want to try it out on my parent's iPad first.

So what's the Gaf's opinion on browsers? I loathe Safari. Use opera on the iphone and it'd be perfect if image search were optimized the way it is on safari and icab.

iCab feels way too much like safari... So... What am I missing? Grazing? Or is Opera the go to browser for now?

Also, best pdf reader?

So what's the Gaf's opinion on browsers? I loathe Safari. Use opera on the iphone and it'd be perfect if image search were optimized the way it is on safari and icab.

iCab feels way too much like safari... So... What am I missing? Grazing? Or is Opera the go to browser for now?

Also, best pdf reader?

Yeah, I can't stand Safari on my Mac, but it's sorta the best the iPad has to offer. Atomic is OK but I hate the UI.

Zeth

Here's the same pic I posted earlier with adjusted white balance. I'm now convinced the majority of the yellow hue people haven't compared theirs to the older iPads. I haven't seen many pics that show the new iPad with a similar hue to the previous devices. The new iPad has a warmer color temp, and auto white balance does a terrible job of producing a photo suitable for comparing them.

YeDIV.jpg

On MacRumors people keep posting comparisons like mine and immediately a ton of people pile on and say it looks terrible. My hypothesis is that many of these same people don't have an iPad 2 to directly compare their own. Before I put it next to the iPad 2 I thought the screen was just about perfect with excellent whites/greys.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
So I ordered a 16GB wifi only model with an engraved back on Apple.com. Now that I've had the device for a few days, would I be able to go to an Apple store and swap it out for an uprgaded version (looking for the Verizon LTE and maybe a bump up to 32GB) while paying a difference?

I'm assuming I don't need to worry about receipts and the like since it'll be in Apple's system. But is it that simple?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So I ordered a 16GB wifi only model with an engraved back on Apple.com. Now that I've had the device for a few days, would I be able to go to an Apple store and swap it out for an uprgaded version (looking for the Verizon LTE and maybe a bump up to 32GB) while paying a difference?

I'm assuming I don't need to worry about receipts and the like since it'll be in Apple's system. But is it that simple?

Eh, I bet the custom engraving might pose a problem, but I am not sure.

Would you not have a problem because you had it engraved?

To supplement my smartcover, I also managed to get this (before it ended up backordered):

c.jpg

It's Switcheasy's new version of the Canvas case - minus the hook from the ipad2 version. Switcheasy also sells sleeves too.

There was also that link for the belkin back cover posted here...have to find it again. I want the navy cover to match my smart cover.

I find myself going with this company a lot because they offer a lot while keeping their prices reasonable, especially when shipping.
I don't understand this case... does the leather part detach from the plastic bit? So it becomes just a rear shell? And if so, why do you need a Smart Cover too?

Also, the Belkin rear shells are crap. Lots of complaints about cracking.

They gave me zero hassles with the upgrade to LTE. When they scanned my box it even game them a digital version of the receipt. I was in and out in five minutes.

Engraved items i think used to be unreturnable. Not sure what the deal is now, hard to tell from the site.

edit: I think you can return it, just not through the store these days.

I don't understand this case... does the leather part detach from the plastic bit? So it becomes just a rear shell? And if so, why do you need a Smart Cover too?

Also, the Belkin rear shells are crap. Lots of complaints about cracking.

No, the switcheasy one is basically a folio case, complete with front and back.

The belkin was just to compliment my smart cover.

I like having options regarding what case I'll put my ipad in. Didn't realize there was something wrong with that.

Vyer

Here's the same pic I posted earlier with adjusted white balance. I'm now convinced the majority of the yellow hue people haven't compared theirs to the older iPads. I haven't seen many pics that show the new iPad with a similar hue to the previous devices. The new iPad has a warmer color temp, and auto white balance does a terrible job of producing a photo suitable for comparing them.

YeDIV.jpg

On MacRumors people keep posting comparisons like mine and immediately a ton of people pile on and say it looks terrible. My hypothesis is that many of these same people don't have an iPad 2 to directly compare their own. Before I put it next to the iPad 2 I thought the screen was just about perfect with excellent whites/greys.

Definitely looks a lot better than it did in the last pic.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Good lord. The iPad 2 sold 300,000 on launch day last year. That's a tenfold increase :0

The meltdowns in the Engadget comments are amazing.

No, the switcheasy one is basically a folio case, complete with front and back.

The belkin was just to compliment my smart cover.

I like having options regarding what case I'll put my ipad in. Didn't realize there was something wrong with that.
Alright alright Mr Defensive. Fair play to you.

Alright alright Mr Defensive. Fair play to you.

Nah it's cool, no worries. :)

I just get bored easily with my stuff sometimes, so it's probably why I have a variety of iphone cases or go caseless - just to do something different for a bit.

I predict I'll be the same way with my ipad - if it's cheap enough to get different cases/covers/sleeves, then I don't mind picking something to go with my mood. After all, when everyone seems to have either a black or white ipad around you, it's always trying to find that one thing that keeps yours unique.

Top Bottom