• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I just read a review that the new ipad is kinda just as fast as the 2 and even slower in some cases. It seems that the higher res screen comes at a cost.

PaulLFC

Yeah I'm in US. Still have deliver date of 16 for the white, which is really all I care about. Hopefully Apple warns me if the date gets pushed back.
:( Looks like US orders are getting sent out pretty early, hope they dispatch the UK ones in the next couple of days but I doubt it.

icespide

Banned
"iPad" is fine but in terms of the iPhone I had assumed that they have to give it a goofy name so that its easier for carriers to keep track of who has what phone in terms of upgrades and stuff

I still can't believe it's called "the new iPad", Jobs must be rolling in his grave,
in hell

It's just "iPad". See their latest commercial. We're all just gonna call it iPad 3 anyway.

Hmm. Looking at the other thread I guess some of the "shipped" notices are actually just the accessories being shipped, not the iPad itself. Same thing happened with iPad 1 - I remember getting the accessories well ahead of time.

So question for you guys, I really want to get one, but I'm unsure if I want a WiFi only for 4G one.

Throughout my day, I'm either in an office or at home, so I'll always have WiFi. If I ever need to be connected outside of my house, I have my phone.

Can people comment on when having an iPad with 3G came in handy? Or is it just a convenience thing?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so now siri/dictation supports Japanese, does that mean all ipads support that, or only if your device is set to Japanese? Its something that could be really useful for my wife. I'm also guessing dictation for Japanese would actually be pretty productive, as IMEs can be quite clunky

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I still can't believe it's called "the new iPad", Jobs must be rolling in his grave,
in hell

A bit unnecessary don't you think?

They were going to have to move off of iPad # and iPhone # eventually, unless you wanted the iPad 15. I think just calling it "iPad" every year is fine, as long as stores can differentiate each year's offering. In store they could call it 3rd gen iPad or 2012 iPad or whatever.

hyp

Can iPad and iPhoto for iPad deal with RAW images? Using iPad when I am on holiday would be perfect if it could handle images from my DSLR. I usually use Lightroom but if I can take the iPad instead, that would be awesome.

sure can. there's a "RAW" graphic overlay on RAW images in the thumbnail column.

Who here show's their order as "Processing" and who's got "Preparing for Shipment?" I'm paranoid that I won't get mine on day one haha.

Mine is still processing, but says delivered by March 16th. It's all good.

in hell

Ugh...first the "retina" display stuff and now we have the "Apple New iPad" name-gate. LOL

When will this end?

PaulLFC

So question for you guys, I really want to get one, but I'm unsure if I want a WiFi only for 4G one.

Throughout my day, I'm either in an office or at home, so I'll always have WiFi. If I ever need to be connected outside of my house, I have my phone.

Can people comment on when having an iPad with 3G came in handy? Or is it just a convenience thing?
This was my situation, so I went for Wifi. Can't see a situation where I'd need 3G/4G, and if I do I can just tether it to my phone and get internet access that way.

noah111

Still Alive
Well the idea of a book based case isn't really original in the first place. I rather get the higher quality one which dodo isn't. Pad and Quills case is also better than DODO from what I read.
I'm not sure about the iPad 2 case but i've used the iPad 1 DODOcase substantially and it is a quality product, imo. It also look a lot better visually than anything else with its style, imo.

I think that when they started dealing with orders by the thousands they sort of fell apart or something, since they were actually just a really small thing, hand making these and shipping them out as fast as they could.

But either way, I found myself taking it in and out of the case a lot and eventually just went naked permanently for the kids use.

I can’t wait for an update to The Elements with higher quality, "retina" images.

QOfZH.png

I wonder if that would make the file size too large. it’s almost 2 GB as is
Oh god YES. I think I will finally be buying this app when and if they do, it just hasn't been worth it yet, but now it will be. :D

http://tweakers.net/reviews/2521/1/...leiding-een-nieuwe-lente-een-nieuwe-ipad.html

It's in Dutch though.

GTranslate:
Indeed, in some areas the new iPad seems downright slow. In carrying out a lot of cases that both the processor and the memory require, such as scrolling through the photo-thumbnails, the new IPAD difficult to keep track of the user. Even if a graphics heavy application is closed, is a visible delay and shocked even the occasional animation, where the app's home screen disappears. That was not an issue from a single specimen: three different iPads we have observed this effect on the same points in the interface. We will have to wait for a review copy, definitely shut before we can tell something about the speed. We hope to release something that is solved, but since the device is released over a week, that seems unlikely.

Tobor

Sounds like you would be fine with wifi.

I like having 3G(now 4G), as the corp wifi at my company is not for personal devices.

It's completely a personal needs question.

TedNindo

I love the ressolution for 2d applications. It will be great for surfing the web. But it's kinda overkill for video and 3d applications isn't it?. What kind of games will run on a ressolution like that with that kind of hardware? Console games run on ressolutions nowhere close to that and have a hard time running smoothly.

Like I said earlier. I would've been happier with a 1080p Oled.

Rubezh

so now siri/dictation supports Japanese, does that mean all ipads support that, or only if your device is set to Japanese? Its something that could be really useful for my wife. I'm also guessing dictation for Japanese would actually be pretty productive, as IMEs can be quite clunky

I don't think any versions of the iPad or the new model have Siri.

It's a convenience thing. If you only use it in wifi zones 3G/4G is useless. If you, say, read on it while having a coffee at a cafe every day, it has convenience because you don't need to mess around with wifi (if it's even available), and you're not burning two batteries in tethering mode (a phone to transmit wifi/3G and the iPad to receive wifi). Likewise if you do a lot of travel in-country it can be useful because quite often airport wifi isn't worth the hassle and you may be in spots where wifi isn't realistic. (For example in Vancouver you could browse via 3G all of the way to the airport and through the terminal, because the trains have 3G access but no wifi).

The question is just how much convenience you want to justify $130 + the monthly fees.

in hell

Jobs was never great at naming products anyway. For all we know, this was his idea. Doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on the brand, though. As long as you have a limited number of products in the market at a time, it does not matter.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
even if some are showing as shipping early, won't they just be held at local distribution centres until the 15th?

Jobs was never great at naming products anyway. For all we know, this was his idea. Doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on the brand, though. As long as you have a limited number of products in the market at a time, it does not matter.

it won't have a negative effect, it's Apple, they do no wrong in the public's eye. I'll finally get an iPad when my tax returns arrive

3N16MA

Banned
in hell

I believe "The new iPad" and "iPad" are both names for this gen with the former being a transitional name. Easiest thing for Apple to do is when the next iPad is released rename this ipad to "iPad Classic" and the current product "iPad." Rinse and repeat.

Pctx

Banned
Guys,

I'm purchasing the 64GB 4G model and I wanted to know which one will work better internationally? AT&T's or Verizon's? Will they both have SIM card slots I'm assuming?

Az

Well if you guys do get a tracking number and the item is shipped, I don't see the reason why you would not get it early.

I believe "The new iPad" and "iPad" are both names for this gen with the former being a transitional name. Easiest thing for Apple to do is when the next iPad is released rename this ipad to "iPad Classic" and the current product "iPad." Rinse and repeat.

that's actually a good idea, probably what they should have done this year

PaulLFC

White 32GB Wifi is showing as dispatching on March 22nd now in the UK store. All other models are showing as delivered on the 16th still.

Tobor

Guys,

I'm purchasing the 64GB 4G model and I wanted to know which one will work better internationally? AT&T's or Verizon's? Will they both have SIM card slots I'm assuming?

They are identical for international use. Choose the domestic carrier you want and you're covered.

Man, Apple sucks at product launches. Why do I have to wait an entire week to get something I just ordered? This is so 1999. :(

Well I just cancelled my 16GB Black iPad3 and went to the 32GB. I plan to host my RAW camera photos on my iPad so I can show people. Did I make the right move GAF? (Also I have a few mag subs, ect.)

3N16MA

Banned
Well I just cancelled my 16GB Black iPad3 and went to the 32GB. I plan to host my RAW camera photos on my iPad so I can show people. Did I make the right move GAF? (Also I have a few mag subs, ect.)

If you had doubts about 16GB it's a safe move to to jump to 32GB and have the extra space. You won't be kicking yourself 6 months from now for having extra space. Same can't be said if you're running out of space.

$100 dollars for twice the storage is the right move if you can afford it.

Sold my Praystaton 3 to a GAFer last night. Should cover the difference. :) I honestly haven't powered it on in 2 months since my last exclusive. I pretty much play all my games on my 360 now. Plus, I am getting an apple tv, so I needed the slot.

Top Bottom