• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Engraved items i think used to be unreturnable. Not sure what the deal is now, hard to tell from the site.

edit: I think you can return it, just not through the store these days.

Just talked to a CS Rep and I can bring it back, engraved or not. Sweet. LTE here I come!

kaskade

I got the green smart cover. I like it. The combo with the white iPad looks pretty nice. I could see using it as a second screen when writing a paper. Maybe having the info up on the iPad and typing on my MacBook.

giga

Anandtech reiterates the big color gamut gains: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5689/the-new-ipad-retina-display-analysis/3

44985.png

44984.png

Good lord. The iPad 2 sold 300,000 on launch day last year. That's a tenfold increase :0

The meltdowns in the Engadget comments are amazing.

When and why the fuck did Engadget become a cesspool of Anti-Apple hatred and trolling? I swear any comment section is 90% Apple vitriol and mockery. How pathetic must your life be to expend so much time and energy bashing a successful company/gadget? I'm also noticing more and more trolling over at the Verge. I hope they keep stricter guidelines than Engadget, or it will end up being similar in short order.

elfinke

To supplement my smartcover, I also managed to get this (before it ended up backordered):

[/IMG]http://cdn.switcheasy.com/products/CANVAS_ThenewiPad/ProductWindow//Charcoal/c.jpg[/IMG]

It's Switcheasy's new version of the Canvas case - minus the hook from the ipad2 version. Switcheasy also sells sleeves too.

There was also that link for the belkin back cover posted here...have to find it again. I want the navy cover to match my smart cover.

I find myself going with this company a lot because they offer a lot while keeping their prices reasonable, especially when shipping.

I had one of their cases for my 3 and 3G iPhones (the rebel). Fantastic case as far as protecting the phone goes. I've been eyeing off the canvas since I ordered my iPad purely because I liked Switcheasy's past products - let me know what you think of it once it arrives!

When and why the fuck did Engadget become a cesspool of Anti-Apple hatred and trolling? I swear any comment section is 90% Apple vitriol and mockery. How pathetic must your life be to expend so much time and energy bashing a successful company/gadget? I'm also noticing more and more trolling over at the Verge. I hope they keep stricter guidelines than Engadget, or it will end up being similar in short order.

I honestly think there should be a Godwin's type Law for any comment section's tendency to devolve into an Android/Apple bashing, back and forth.

X-Frame

So how fast are people blowing through their data allotments?

I would love to get an LTE iPad but I just can't justify spending so much money for so little data, especially given the amount of things I'd be able to do with an internet connection that actually WORKS (i.e. stream videos, downloads, etc).

The only way I'd consider it would be if the carriers doubled the data and kept the monthly pricing the same -- but that's clearly never going to happen.

TxdoHawk

When and why the fuck did Engadget become a cesspool of Anti-Apple hatred and trolling?

It's everywhere, really. As a Galaxy Nexus and MBP owner, I can only shake my head. Too many twelve-year-olds that need to go outside.

So how fast are people blowing through their data allotments?

I would love to get an LTE iPad but I just can't justify spending so much money for so little data, especially given the amount of things I'd be able to do with an internet connection that actually WORKS (i.e. stream videos, downloads, etc).

The only way I'd consider it would be if the carriers doubled the data and kept the monthly pricing the same -- but that's clearly never going to happen.

Verizon has occasionally done "double your data cap" deals for 4G. You had to sign up for a 2-year contract though, and obnoxiously, tablets were excluded.

The pitiful state of tablet data plans is why I may never give up my iSpot...in fact, if that thing ever dies on me and Clear doesn't have replacements left, I will probably just Ebay another hotspot.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Well that sucks… I just finished the review and it took me like five minutes to read it!

Dat battery life…

Ambitious

How much memory does iOS occupy?
Still not sure if I should get 32GB or 64GB. My iTunes music library is about 20GB. No podcasts or movies. I don't have that much apps, but I intended to change that with the new iPad.

I had one of their cases for my 3 and 3G iPhones (the rebel). Fantastic case as far as protecting the phone goes. I've been eyeing off the canvas since I ordered my iPad purely because I liked Switcheasy's past products - let me know what you think of it once it arrives!

Yeah I have a couple of cases for my 3gs from them (rebel & colors), two for my 4s (eclipse) and now this one.

It's arriving this week (just shipped out on the 19th from them) so I'll definitely give impressions. If the ipad2 canvas was able to earn an A- from ilounge, then hopefully this one is as good.

RubxQub

Still not sure if I should get 32GB or 64GB. My iTunes music library is about 20GB. No podcasts or movies. I don't have that much apps, but I intended to change that with the new iPad.

If you have 20 gigs of music and you intend to put all of them on the iPad… I'm going to have to go ahead and recommend the 64 GB model. That only gives you 12 gigabytes of space to handle applications and that's really not that much.

You might want to do something like I do and only sync your top rated songs instead of your entire library maybe?

MercuryLS

Banned

I think the 32gb has 28gb of usable memory and 64gb has 61gb (could be wrong here). If you're planning on putting all your music on your iPad, get the 64gb. If I were in your shoes, I would get the 32gb and stream my music through iTunes Match.

subrock

I know it has probably been mentioned a bunch of times already but the battery on this thing is cray. Havent charged since I got it and I've been using it daily since Friday, still at 26%. Badass.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 16gb and have used about half of that. I have quite a few games, no music and I only rent movies.

I was worried about the 16gb not being enough, but I had a 32gb iPad 2, and found I never used more than 16gb anyway. The same is true here. Unless you're an extreme digital hoarder (read: keeps music, apps and video on your device for months, possibly years, that are used a once or twice over that period of time) or genuinely need to be watching heaps of movies at one time, it's hard to justify the 32gb.

I suppose putting a whole HD TV series on your device at one time might be a good reason, but depending on your set-up, you should be able to stream a lot of that as you need it.

I've never really understood keeping large music libraries on a device, especially now with iTunes Match, iCloud and similar services, but then I've never been the sort of person who sets my library on shuffle.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Huge supply. The Hong Kong scalping market is dead because of the constant huge supply at both the primary Apple Store and Apple resellers.

Macrumors forum has multiple reports of people walking into Apple stores and returning over a dozen iPads, presumably because they couldn't turn a profit. Triumph over the scalpers!

I'm still annoyed that people were accusing me of scalping when I was buying iPad 1s for GAF members at no profit

If you have 20 gigs of music and you intend to put all of them on the iPad… I'm going to have to go ahead and recommend the 64 GB model. That only gives you 12 gigabytes of space to handle applications and that's really not that much.

You might want to do something like I do and only sync your top rated songs instead of your entire library maybe?

I've got about 12GB full on my 32gb so far. Unlike my iPhone I have all my songs synced. Haven't attempted syncing my RAW camera files yet, or loading the comic files I want to finally read.

RubxQub

I think the 32gb has 28gb of usable memory and 64gb has 61gb (could be wrong here). If you're planning on putting all your music on your iPad, get the 64gb. If I were in your shoes, I would get the 32gb and stream my music through iTunes Match.

The problem is is that iTunes Match doesn't actually stream songs to iOS devices, it just seems like it is... but it's actually downloading them in the background.

iTunes Match only truly streams on computers or Apple TVs.

Ambitious

Yeah, that 20GB already exclude a bunch of albums. I checked off another few I hardly listen to, without them it's 15GB.

Seems to me like 32 is barely not enough and 64 is overkill.
I guess I'll get the 32GB iPad, sync only my favorite albums as you said, and stream the other ones.

edit: No need for iTunes Match, I'm just gonna just iTunes Home Sharing

see5harp

O man the Verge is terrible. They give people the ablity to actual create discussion threads. I truly do not believe an editorial site should even give people the ability to comment. I like how it's done on Pitchfork to be honest. If you don't like it post some hate threads on GAF and reddit so that the sensible people know to ignore you.

Circle T

So, if I load up Google Music in Safari, it will continue to play in the background, and while the iPad is locked, quick controls and all. However, if I make a home screen web app shortcut to Google Music, the minute I close the page, the music stops. Is there a setting to change this, or is that just how it is?

NeoForte

Anyone know a good stylus pen to use with sketchbook pro? Preferably with a sharper point and not a nub.

Is cost a big deal for you?

If no: Bamboo Stylus by Wacom

It's pricey but it's very well made and does a good job. I love mine and use it regularly.

If yes: Pogo Sketch+

For $15 its a very nice stylus. The one I have uses this old sponge that gets worn down or can come off with heavy use. Seems the new ones use a different material and form.

There are many others but I feel thsoe are the two best ones to get for drawing. I've always wanted to try out a Nomad Brush too.

Zyzyxxz

Macrumors forum has multiple reports of people walking into Apple stores and returning over a dozen iPads, presumably because they couldn't turn a profit. Triumph over the scalpers!

I'm still annoyed that people were accusing me of scalping when I was buying iPad 1s for GAF members at no profit

Heh screw the scalpers!

MercuryLS

Banned
The problem is is that iTunes Match doesn't actually stream songs to iOS devices, it just seems like it is... but it's actually downloading them in the background.

iTunes Match only truly streams on computers or Apple TVs.

That's true, but I think it only downloads your most played tracks. I wonder how much space on your device the tracks take up (and whether it purges tracks after a certain amount).

see5harp

I got the green smart cover. I like it. The combo with the white iPad looks pretty nice. I could see using it as a second screen when writing a paper. Maybe having the info up on the iPad and typing on my MacBook.

I did the same thing. I really would have preferred last year's orange but the green is straight up old school adidas kelly green. With the white iPad it's like Wilmbeldon classy.

Just ordered a Rickshaw vertical case. Holy fuck at the 10-12 days until shipped. They appear to be a shop similar to that of TimBuk2. I think the design of their slipcases is fanfuckingtastic. Will post a photo of my custom one later. Paid 35 shipped.

O man the Verge is terrible. They give people the ablity to actual create discussion threads. I truly do not believe an editorial site should even give people the ability to comment. I like how it's done on Pitchfork to be honest. If you don't like it post some hate threads on GAF and reddit so that the sensible people know to ignore you.

Ironically, this is like the best online place I've seen online to discuss Apple stuff rationally with limited trolling.

On another subject, am I the only one insanely excited about iOS6? I have a feeling they got some incredible things in the works, now that they got the huge job of setting up iCloud and making iOS5 PC free behind them.

I pretty much only use the space on my iPad and iPod for apps. I have a Spotify account for music, and for songs that Spotify doesn't have, I use audiogalaxy instead. AirVideo and home sharing for video.

I don't see myself often using my iPad in a situation where I don't have wifi. My phone is my main on the go music device since it has 3G that can handle streaming audio just fine.

I would've gone with the 16 gig, but with all the retina apps coming and me not being sure how many games I'll download, I figured I'd get the extra space. I don't see myself ever coming even within 10 gigs of capping though.

Flunkie

Banned
So, cases. I had this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005O0FZT2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

..for my iPad 2. I liked it, but wanted something in the same vein, but nicer. Any suggestions? I heard the Marware CEO 2 was good, but the locking system on the CEO 3 doesn't work on the new iPad.

Edit: Also want something that gives me varying levels of tilt as far as standing up goes. The Bear Motion was just two angles - very vertical or very low.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Is cost a big deal for you?

If no: Bamboo Stylus by Wacom

It's pricey but it's very well made and does a good job. I love mine and use it regularly.

If yes: Pogo Sketch+

For $15 its a very nice stylus. The one I have uses this old sponge that gets worn down or can come off with heavy use. Seems the new ones use a different material and form.

There are many others but I feel thsoe are the two best ones to get for drawing. I've always wanted to try out a Nomad Brush too.

My favorite...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GSNLBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So what's the Gaf's opinion on browsers? I loathe Safari. Use opera on the iphone and it'd be perfect if image search were optimized the way it is on safari and icab.

iCab feels way too much like safari... So... What am I missing? Grazing? Or is Opera the go to browser for now?

Also, best pdf reader?

Try out "Mercury". It's free and packed with features. First impression I really like it.

asdad123

Just got one and like everyone says, the screen is awesome compared to the iPad 2. Not having to zoom in on neogaf is great.

Now to sell my iPad 2. Mine actually had pretty bad light leakage so apple replaced it this afternoon. They seemed to give me a new unit since its in the originalvplastic wrapping and in warranty until march 18th 2013. Guess that should help me sell it for a higher price. I'm thinking of asking 450 on Craigslist, does that sound fair?

railGUN

Banned
Just got one and like everyone says, the screen is awesome compared to the iPad 2. Not having to zoom in on neogaf is great.

Now to sell my iPad 2. Mine actually had pretty bad light leakage so apple replaced it this afternoon. They seemed to give me a new unit since its in the originalvplastic wrapping and in warranty until march 18th 2013. Guess that should help me sell it for a higher price. I'm thinking of asking 450 on Craigslist, does that sound fair?

Is it a 32GB? iPad2 16GB can be bought brand new from Apple for $399 now.

see5harp

Ironically, this is like the best online place I've seen online to discuss Apple stuff rationally with limited trolling.

On another subject, am I the only one insanely excited about iOS6? I have a feeling they got some incredible things in the works, now that they got the huge job of setting up iCloud and making iOS5 PC free behind them.

There are certainly going to be differences in opinion everywhere. Anyways, I'm excited about iOS6 but I'm really really satisfied with the feature set in place right now. For me, iOS has always been more about the app developers, which is also the primary reason I don't see much appeal right now with android. All of the apps I want to use are already on iOS. All of the music production, games, and magazine publishers are already on board. Once everything i use gets retina support it's going to be glorious.

giga

45085.png

Now for the killer. If you have an iPad on Verizon's LTE network and use it as a personal hotspot (not currently possible on the AT&T version), it will last you roughly 25.3 hours on a single charge. Obviously that's with the display turned off, but with a 42.5Wh battery driving Qualcomm's MDM9600 you get tons of life out of the new iPad as a personal hotspot.

imL7xuDBUHW8w.gif

asdad123

Is it a 32GB? iPad2 16GB can be bought brand new from Apple for $399 now.

Yeah 32gb wifi. I'm really not sure if they gave me a used or a new one, but I'm thinking it's a new one since the warranty expires next year.

If its a refurb, I would definitely ask for less.

dyls

Is there an app that's a pdf/comic equivalent of Air Video? i.e. wherein the pdfs are kept on my computer with a server that I can access on my iPad.

edit: It would need to be able to smoothly navigate pdfs. I have thousands of sheet music files on my computer and I'd like to be able to access them on my iPad while at the piano, without having to copy them over.

MercuryLS

Banned
I read something interesting about the iPad 3 battery. Supposedly the 70% extra capacity comes from the battery being 70% bigger than the iPad 2 battery, not from some new increase in battery density tech. I don't know how they did it considering the marginal size and weight difference between the two.

Top Bottom