• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
damn online order placed last week doesn't ship until april 4. hopefully apple can make something magical happen.

ParityBit

Finally hooked up my new iPad to my iTunes. Reloading from a backup I just did (after downloading a ton of updates)

On 4 of 247 apps to be copied. Ugh ....

asdad123

damn online order placed last week doesn't ship until april 4. hopefully apple can make something magical happen.

Check out best buy online or microcenter online. You can place an order for in store pick up online.

Did that through best buy last night and picked up my unit this afternoon no problem. Plus I'll get 5% back from my discover card :)

undecided

Surprised we've seen more complaints in this thread about yellow tints versus this issue. It's not antenna gate but unlike a laptop, which will normally be on a desk/table, this is held in your hands.

Are you guys doing anything specific when you notice the warmth?

I can't say that I see this issue at all with mine.

LCfiner

Is there an app that's a pdf/comic equivalent of Air Video? i.e. wherein the pdfs are kept on my computer with a server that I can access on my iPad.edit: It would need to be able to smoothly navigate pdfs. I have thousands of sheet music files on my computer and I'd like to be able to access them on my iPad while at the piano, without having to copy them over.

I have seen nothing that does this specifically. But both bookman pro and comic glass can download issues from Dropbox folders. If you have that setup on your pc then it may be close to what you're looking for

LJ11

Surprised we've seen more complaints in this thread about yellow tints versus this issue. It's not antenna gate but unlike a laptop, which will normally be on a desk/table, this is held in your hands.

Cases are probably hiding the issue, I really don't want to use one all the time but with the heat I pretty much leave it on and don't feel a thing. Shitty compromise but it works.

icespide

Banned
got mine replaced today. first replacement had a huge dent in the corner. screen looks fine on the next one and now that I'm home I see 2 specs of dust under the screen =|. they are tiny so I'm going to try and live with it for a week. if it still bothers me I may just get my money back

alekth

I have seen nothing that does this specifically. But both bookman pro and comic glass can download issues from Dropbox folders. If you have that setup on your pc then it may be close to what you're looking for

How is comic glass for manga? Going to get my first iPad in a couple of weeks and have been researching for the best manga reader (not mangafox etc bound services).
It also seems to support fetching files from a media server, as far as dyls' qyestion goes, but can't tell whether any media server or the one they have linked on their website.

elfinke

Has anyone come across a case for the iPad that has it's hinge along the top of the iPad, rather than the side? Does a such a thing exist? I've had a bit of a google around the place, and not had much luck. I'm guessing the combination of lack of demand plus difficulty in engineering a strong support around the ins and outs of the iPad is too much for them to worry about it.

I only ask because I find myself holding my iPad almost exclusively in book/portrait format, rather than landscape, and nearly all the cases I've seen I think would prohibit that, or atleast make it a nuisance to do so.

giga

Is there an app that's a pdf/comic equivalent of Air Video? i.e. wherein the pdfs are kept on my computer with a server that I can access on my iPad.

edit: It would need to be able to smoothly navigate pdfs. I have thousands of sheet music files on my computer and I'd like to be able to access them on my iPad while at the piano, without having to copy them over.
I use Dropbox.

alekth

Is iBooks that bad for reading comic books?

Probably won't do the job for me, because it's mainly scanlations/new JUMP etc scans I'm interested in, and those are typically in archives, not ePub.

I don't know how much manga is available on iTunes otherwise, but probably not much, if any, where I live.

Probably won't do the job for me, because it's mainly scanlations/new JUMP etc scans I'm interested in, and those are typically in archives, not ePub.

I don't know how much manga is available on iTunes otherwise, but probably not much, if any, where I live.

Comic glass does .cbz and .cbr quite well.. I've been reading some Yotsuba&! manga with it.. I have no complaints about the functionality.

Ah okay. Yeah makes sense.

Ran speed tests at my apartment where my iPad shows four of five bars of connectivity and actually laughed out loud when the network buried the needle on the "odometer." The ping as 109, which isn't great obviously, but I was getting 28.5 Megabits up and 15.2 Megabits down. That's faster than my cable Internet.

This was Verizon BTW.

Ran speed tests at my apartment where my iPad shows four of five bars of connectivity and actually laughed out loud when the network buried the needle on the "odometer." The ping as 109, which isn't great obviously, but I was getting 28.5 Megabits up and 15.2 Megabits down. That's faster than my cable Internet.

This was Verizon BTW.

Holy hell. If I didn't play the occasional multiplayer on my 360 and there was no cap, I might consider dropping at&t UVERSE and getting 4G.

Appstart just got a Retina update. Honestly this is the 1st thing anyone should download. Fantastic discovery and recommendation of quality apps in every category imaginable.

Are you guys doing anything specific when you notice the warmth?

I can't say that I see this issue at all with mine.

No. An if you read the Ars Technica review, it's mentioned there too.

I haven't really used the iPad much, but the first time, which was sitting on the can browsing, I noticed it.

And after reading that Ars review, man, the iPad 2 was a serious upgrade from the first.

see5harp

Is iBooks that bad for reading comic books?

iBooks is pretty slick for comics. There's a free issue of Avengers if you wanna check it out. It's smooth, looks great but compared to the alternatives, iBooks is pretty poor as far as organization of a bunch of issues. As other people have said, if you have your comics in cbr or cbz format, iBooks is not going to work. If you plan on buying graphic novels on iBooks, then that route may work for you.

dyls

The problem is that you still have to copy things into the dropbox folder. I'd like a program that will simply make a folder I have designated available over the server.

I know that feel, bro. Another 2 weeks.

xoKQi.png

If you live near an apple store, you can walk right in and get one now.

You'd have to cancel the ones that are processing though, right? I mean, there isn't a deal where you can walk into a store with the information that you used to purchase online and they can just transfer/tick off your order?

Would save a lot of hassle with refunds, cancelling and re-ordering through a physical store. Talking of which, I don't think we have a Apple store per se. We have a 'Stormfront' store.

Quick

Banned
iBooks is pretty slick for comics. There's a free issue of Avengers if you wanna check it out. It's smooth, looks great but compared to the alternatives, iBooks is pretty poor as far as organization of a bunch of issues. As other people have said, if you have your comics in cbr or cbz format, iBooks is not going to work. If you plan on buying graphic novels on iBooks, then that route may work for you.

I just convert my cbz/cbr files to PDF and it works like a charm, though I do want something that reads those formats with better organization. There was a discussion on the NeoGAF Best of iOS thread on comic readers. I'm personally leaning towards Smash.

Speaking of the Best of iOS thread, can we link that to the start of the thread? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448523

LCfiner

The problem is that you still have to copy things into the dropbox folder. I'd like a program that will simply make a folder I have designated available over the server.

Yup, it's close but not exact.

That's why i ended up just making Dropbox the home for my comics. Of course this is a problem if you have gigs and gigs and you need to manage it.

sfedai0

Banned
How do you actually add comic files locally to your iPad and read them using ComicGlass?

Asked that many pages ago, and a helpful gaffer listed multiple ways. Since you already mentioned ComicGlass, I think easiest way is to get Dropbox, upload your comics there, and use ComicGlass to open it.

How do you actually add comic files locally to your iPad and read them using ComicGlass?

Go to the apps tab in iTunes, click on ComicGlass and add comics with the + button. You have to have them unlike Comixology (sp) or Marvel/DC.

You can use Dropbox and maybe Box (I haven't looked in the options).

misterchef

Neo Member
I'm sure this has been answered in the thread before, but I can't find it...

I have quite a bit of $$ in Walmart giftcards, but the ones near me only have 16GB iPads. Would I be able to buy a 16GB one from Walmart, and then immediately go to my nearby Apple Store and trade it in for a 32GB one (Paying the price difference) ?

Asked that many pages ago, and a helpful gaffer listed multiple ways. Since you already mentioned ComicGlass, I think easiest way is to get Dropbox, upload your comics there, and use ComicGlass to open it.

Go to the apps tab in iTunes, click on ComicGlass and add comics with the + button. You have to have them unlike Comixology (sp) or Marvel/DC.

You can use Dropbox and maybe Box (I haven't looked in the options).

Ah okay thanks. I believe they are actually already in dropbox. However, due to the fact I had it mirroring my documents, and I blew past my 10gb allotment it hasn't updated in some time. Much easier to locally add to my iPad and delete when finished.

Does the best of iOS have an updated OP?

ha, ha, ha.

The best of iOS is subjective too. I'd say look at that thread and also insert Tech website best 100/200 iOS apps to see what might interest you.

Just from browsing this thread, just for a web browser...

Dolphin
Mercury
Skyfire
Safari (default)
Atomic
Grazing

Remote desktop...
Splashtop
Logmein
VNC
yadda, yadda.

snack

Just got this email:

Thanks again for your recent purchase from Maroo.

While our current products do fit the new iPad, unfortunately we’ve found that some of the magnets in our cases do not work properly. As a result, some of you may be experiencing issues with the sleep/wake feature. This is unacceptable to us.

If you are having a magnet issue with your case, please click on the link below for an explanation on how we will be handling the issue going forward:

http://www.maroo.com/magnets.cfm

At Maroo, customers are our top priority, and we sincerely apologize for this issue, and appreciate your patience during this time. Please let me know if you need any more assistance or have any questions.

Thanks for your business.

Regards,

Beau Rosser
Social Media Director, Product Manager
Maroo [maroo.com]
Facebook.com/maroolifstyle
Twitter.com/maroolifestye

Respect.

ParityBit

I got this this afternoon:

Thank you for your order! We would like to update you regarding your recent purchase SO-635127:

We are aware that there is a problem with the sleep/wake feature on some of our cases for the new iPad. We are working to quickly resolve this issue with the factory.

Case affected: CEO Hybrid for the new iPad Carbon Fiber

We are currently holding all new orders until the problem is corrected. However, some cases shipped out before we could stop them. As a result, you may receive or have received a case for the new iPad without the sleep/wake feature.

If you received one of the cases that do not work, Marware will send a replacement at no cost. You bought this case for a reason, because Marware makes it.

You also know we'll make this right for you.

We apologize for this temporary inconvenience.

Marware Support Team

Also pretty cool. I have yet to see if mine works yet. Once my new iPad is done restoring. (182 of 247)

jts

...hate me...
From today's press release:

The new iPad is already available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, UK and the US Virgin Islands and will be available in 24 more countries starting at 8:00 a.m. local time on Friday, March 23 through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple's retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers, including Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
I take it we (from that list of countries) won't get to pre-order?

blackflag

Similar response on the Targus cases. It is great that you don't even have to return the non working case. It will make a great backup. Otherwise I would have just replaced it with something else since I wouldn't want to go a few weeks without a case.

"Targus is committed to keeping your new iPads protected. If you're having an issue with your Targus case for the new iPad, please contact our customers service team and they will be happy to send you a tested replacement case or in some situations another model if preferred. No need to return the case you have to us. For more specific information please call customer service at 1-877-482-7487. We appreciate your business and will do whatever it takes to fix the issue."

Targus rep added this to all of the many negative amazon reviews.

hey gaf, this new ipad is great, but i still need to go to my PC to check on things and move files over to my phone. i dont want to sit behind my PC anymore. whats the best VNC client? i used to use iteleport but wanted to know if there is anything better.

....went to the best of iOS thread. ended up getting Splashtop Remote Desktop HD while its on sale.

Top Bottom