• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Ordered the white 16GB Wifi. I used to have a 32GB Wifi iPad 1 and found it frustrating not having 3G, so I wish I had the funds to shell out for a 32GB 4G model. Alas. The retina display was enough reason for me to buy one.

FreeMufasa

Yup it will affect your trade in value.

Oh.

I tried to cancel it but I used a guest account. When I go to change it, it asks me to log in or register but I can't access it once I register.

b05L7.gif

Meh, lesson learned.

centracore

Oh.

I tried to cancel it but I used a guest account. When I go to change it, it asks me to log in or register but I can't access it once I register.

Meh, lesson learned.

If you really want to get rid of the engraving you can call Apple and change / update your order over the phone.

My CC got charged but I'm still in 'Processing Items' stage.

Not too worried as I'm sure it'll arrive on time like my 4S did. Still, I'm just anxious to get it.

Also, I use MSOffice on my MB and OpenOffice on my PB currently for document editing and whatnot. Is it worth it to get the Pages app? Thanks!

tim.mbp

I really want one, but I feel weird buying one sight unseen. $500, while not a huge expense for me, would be my most expensive consumer electronic device I own. More expensive then my TV.

Tangeroo

I must be one of the lucky ones. Mine has shipped and I had it engraved. (And apparently, they don't have people hand-screen what gets engraved on them).

64GB White Wifi
No additional accessories

Ok... I kind of want this but I really can not justify it unless I can plug a USB stick into it and copy word documents back and fort easily from it.

Is that something available to jailbroken ipads and that will be available after the inevitable jailbrake of the ipad3?

Recon

Banned
Ok... I kind of want this but I really can not justify it unless I can plug a USB stick into it and copy word documents back and fort easily from it.

Is that something available to jailbroken ipads and that will be available after the inevitable jailbrake of the ipad3?

There is no usb port on any of the ipads.

Any pics or impressions of og iPad apps on it?

Or dare I ask, iPhone apps? I certainly hope they use retina assets!

If not, then the situation must be preeeeety damn ugly or Apple would have shown it.

Einbroch

Banned
Oh.

b05L7.gif

Meh, lesson learned.

It's really not that bad. I sold mine to a guy who didn't care about the engraving because I included a $5 back cover that covered it up.

tokkun

no but with a camera connection kit ....

I looked for information on this stuff when trying to figure out if you could connect an external hard drive to the iPad. It didn't seem like there was a satisfying solution. I was pretty surprised considering the markup on the internal storage that more people weren't interested in it.

Blackhead

Redarse

no but with a camera connection kit it can.

If I can jailbreak it. Plug a USB drive into it and copy Doc's into Pages or whatever word editor available on it I could use it for work stuff as a laptop replacement.
Yes, there is. It's not the most elegant of tweaks though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What codecs does iMovie support. Can you import video from a high end camera?

Enco

Never got why people would get engravings done.

Really ruins it in my opinion. I like my things clean.

Cheebo

Banned
I looked for information on this stuff when trying to figure out if you could connect an external hard drive to the iPad. It didn't seem like there was a satisfying solution. I was pretty surprised considering the markup on the internal storage that more people weren't interested in it.

There are external hard drives compatible iPad. I have a 500 GB one for my iPad I store movies on and watch on my iPad. Works great.

I have an iPhone 4 with the tethering option. I've created the personal hotspot and have been able to connect my macbook to the internet using my iphone. I could just get the wifi iPad and be able to get online using this method, right?

So, plugging a usb stick into your computer, copying the files to the stick, removing the stick, plugging it into the iPad, copying the files over, unpugging it, then doing the exact same thing again, over and over, whenver you want to add/change anything with absolutely no syncing options is better than- just dragging files to dropbox and having them automatically sync to the iPad? Then just uploading the files to iCloud? Or using a myriad of other syncing methods, even direct wireless wifi transfer with something like good reader, or a thousands other apps that support this? I never understand people that demand for archaic paradigms that add no benefit except 'oh this is how I used to it do' instead of adapting to something that is much superior and flexible. The iPad will never, even have a USB port. So either accept that and utilize the myriad of other options available to simple transfer documents, or just forget about it and look for some other device.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Im curious if Apple either has produced far more than they did for the iPad 2 launch, or if there just isnt as much excitement. Maybe I'm recalling wrong, but weren't ipad 2 preorderes already backordered by the end of the first day for the iPad 2?

3N16MA

Banned
Im curious if Apple either has produced far more than they did for the iPad 2 launch, or if there just isnt as much excitement. Maybe I'm recalling wrong, but weren't ipad 2 preorderes already backordered by the end of the first day for the iPad 2?

I think they have more supply similar with the iPhone 4S. It sold like a beast but did not see the shortage like the iPhone 4.

Cheebo

Banned
You mean a NAS with a wireless access point right, not a simple USB hard drive?

It's a traditional USB hard drive that I can connect to my Mac and other PC's. The GoFlex as mentioned above. It works great. Full functioning external HD. Basically turns your iPad into a device with 500 GB if you have it with you. Pretty handy since its wireless.

I think he is referring to the seagate goflex drives. Pretty sure Norm uses one from Tested.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/external-hard-drive/

Honestly now I am wondering if I should have stuck with my 16gb and picked up one of these. I completely forgot about them.

That's the one. I love it. Can't imagine using an iPad without the extra space it gives now, even 64 GB would feel small going from using it. I can't recommend it enough.

So, is it possible to preorder and cancel later if I change my mind?

I'm sure you can bring the new iPad (unopened) to a nearby Apple store and return it there. If not, I'm sure there are crazy Apple fans that will buy it straight off of your hands for more than the retail value.

X-Frame

Is anyone that had a White iPad 2 going to get a new White "New" iPad?

Just wondering if there were any color defects or what have you wrong with the White ones ..

mrkgoo

So, plugging a usb stick into your computer, copying the files to the stick, removing the stick, plugging it into the iPad, copying the files over, unpugging it, then doing the exact same thing again, over and over, whenver you want to add/change anything with absolutely no syncing options is better than- just dragging files to dropbox and having them automatically sync to the iPad? Then just uploading the files to iCloud? Or using a myriad of other syncing methods, even direct wireless wifi transfer with something like good reader, or a thousands other apps that support this? I never understand people that demand for archaic paradigms that add no benefit except 'oh this is how I used to it do' instead of adapting to something that is much superior and flexible. The iPad will never, even have a USB port. So either accept that and utilize the myriad of other options available to simple transfer documents, or just forget about it and look for some other device.
I generally agree.

But that's mainly for your own transfer. I still find transfer by USB from OTHER people pretty convenient. Like you're over at someones place and you need a file or ned to give them a file. Yes, I guess you could log in to drop box or set up some wireless protocol, but sometimes a USB is pretty useful.

But yah not that big a deal. I justell people to email it, which is arguably more archaic, but whatever.

taylor910

Is anyone that had a White iPad 2 going to get a new White "New" iPad?

Just wondering if there were any color defects or what have you wrong with the White ones ..

I had a white one, my wife did as well. Both were daily use, she carried hers in her purse a lot too.

No discoloration. Ordered 2 new white ones yesterday.

Big Chungus

I have $575 in gift cards at Futureshop so I can grab the 16b Wi-fi for free, thing is should I upgrade to the 32gb or to the 4g model and pay the extra amount?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I have $575 in gift cards at Futureshop so I can grab the 16b Wi-fi for free, thing is should I upgrade to the 32gb or to the 4g model and pay the extra amount?

Get 32GB minimally I'd say. Retina = bigger apps.

It depends on how you'll use your device. If you see yourself buying a lot of rich 3D games and other type of multimedia apps, go with the space. If you think your device will be more geared for reading and streaming media (iTunes Match, Netflix, Rdio/Pandora), get the 4G.

It's a traditional USB hard drive that I can connect to my Mac and other PC's. The GoFlex as mentioned above. It works great. Full functioning external HD. Basically turns your iPad into a device with 500 GB if you have it with you. Pretty handy since its wireless.

That's the one. I love it. Can't imagine using an iPad without the extra space it gives now, even 64 GB would feel small going from using it. I can't recommend it enough.

Bah fuck I should have stuck with the 16GB. But it's probably still okay given that apps and whatnot will drive me near the limit. The cool thing about that hdd is that it should work with everything. It's effectively a portable cloud that doesn't require an internet connection.

I thought that the new iPad was supposed to have a quad core CPU as well as a quad core GPU. Did things change? Seems that Vita is somewhat more powerful.

Top Bottom