• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Blackhead

Redarse
Definitely worth $50.

But is it worth the $90 it retails for?

http://store.cregle.com/products/ipen

I was mildly excited until I saw that.
Check ebay (e.g ipen auction currently at $40) and other reseller sites. Right now the iPen works well with two apps GoodNotes and ibisPaint for writing and drawing respectively. At $90 it's a tough sell—not because it's not the best option on the iPad market right now but—because other products that will top it (pressure sensitivity, bluetooth connectivity etc) are supposed to come out in the next few months. Cregle themselves said that they are working on a version two with pressure sensitivity and I've been keeping tabs on the Jot Touch (the tenone blue fire mentioned in the article doesn't interest me that much because it seems to be less precise).

If you just got a new iPad and want to buy your first stylus right now then I'd recommend the iPen as worth it for $90 or less. If you already own a stylus or you're not in a hurry to write and paint on the iPad then wait for the next generation.

Chris R

But you can surely feel it, can't you? I like the smooth feel of the glass, so I'll always iPad raw.

I actually preferred the slight texture feel of the protector. My finger slid across it with less resistance.

I'm glad everyone else loves their screen with no protector, I just can't stand the smudges :(

Check ebay (e.g ipen auction currently at $40)and other reseller sites. Right now the iPen works well with two apps GoodNotes and ibisPaint for writing and drawing respectively. At $90 it's a tough sell not because it's not the best option on the iPad market right now but because other products that will top it (pressure sensitivity, bluetooth connectivity etc) are supposed to come out in the next few months. Cregle themselves said that they are working on a version two with pressure sensitivity and I've been keeping tabs on the Jot Touch (the tenone blue fire mentioned in the article doesn't interest me that much because it seems to be precise).

If you just got a new iPad and want to buy your first stylus right now then I'd recommend the iPen as worth it for $90. If you already own a stylus or you're not in a hurry to write and paint on the iPad then wait for the next generation.

understood. thanks for the insight!

But you can surely feel it, can't you? I like the smooth feel of the glass, so I'll always iPad raw.
I think I'm like rhfb, smudgey fingers. I don't like the feel of the glass unless my fingers are really really cold, where they desposit no moisture at all, then it glides nicely. Otherwise, it grips and kinda squeeks along. It doesn't actually squeek but... it feels like it should.

I'm kinda intrigued by this screen protector rhfb - do you know what brand it was?

If you just got a new iPad and want to buy your first stylus right now then I'd recommend the iPen as worth it for $90 or less. If you already own a stylus or you're not in a hurry to write and paint on the iPad then wait for the next generation.
I shall buy the first stylus that has pressure sensitivity, palm rejection and Sketchbook Pro support. If one of these things is missing, it's worthless to me.

Chris R

I think I'm like rhfb, smudgey fingers. I don't like the feel of the glass unless my fingers are really really cold, where they desposit no moisture at all, then it glides nicely. Otherwise, it grips and kinda squeeks along. It doesn't actually squeek but... it feels like it should.

I'm kinda intrigued by this screen protector rhfb - do you know what brand it was?

It was from Zagg I think, I was just asking about the one from SwitchEasy since I'm going to be ordering a case from them today.

Hmmm. Very expensive. Mixed reviews too. Lots of people say that it mucks up the clarity, which is understandable... I'm hesitant. Would love to try one though.

Blackhead

Redarse
understood. thanks for the insight!
Oh, I almost forgot one more thing: iPhone/iPod touch support. Cregle said it will work with the little iOS devices but I haven't seen any of the apps yet. If it does work well I'd carry it everywhere.
I shall buy the first stylus that has pressure sensitivity, palm rejection and Sketchbook Pro support. If one of these things is missing, it's worthless to me.
Palm rejection is already here, pressure sensitivity will come very soon but I think you'll have to wait a while for Sketchbook Pro support. Might as well get an Android or Windows tablet while you're waiting since Sketchbook Pro already supports officially sanctioned pens on those platforms.

Palm rejection is already here, pressure sensitivity will come very soon but I think you'll have to wait a while for Sketchbook Pro support. Might as well get an Android or Windows tablet while you're waiting since Sketchbook Pro already supports officially sanctioned pens on those platforms.
I can't afford a second tablet... I'm happier with what iOS offers, and generally I do my sketching on a desktop with a Wacom. I'll be patient.

Hmmm. Very expensive. Mixed reviews too. Lots of people say that it mucks up the clarity, which is understandable... I'm hesitant. Would love to try one though.

The Zagg invisashield? Eh, it's very much like a stretchy plastic feeling. I had it for my 3gs briefly and while I liked that it was grippy, it was really easy to get air bubbles in it as well as dust if you only got the screen protector and not the entire front/back piece. Also, putting it on is hit or miss (I asked them to apply it in their shop and they still fucked up) mostly because they have to spray something down onto the surface. Because of that, the screen constantly looks wet.

All in all, not really worth the money, though it does carry a lifetime warranty.

Since I bought the AppleCare+ .. I feel like I can live more dangerously with this one and not get a screen protector. I might get a back-only for placing it down on surfaces though.
What kind of surfaces are you setting this thing on that you feel like you need protection for the back? Are you taking it into the diamond mine with you?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hello everyone from my new iPad. :D

So I'm having this issue with the app store where occasionally I will launch it and it will get stuck at a loading and errors out with cannot connect to itunes store. Any one know what's going wrong here? I end up having to force quit the app as I keep getting that error when I try and access the app store.

X-Frame

So can I not use the iPad while it's charging/syncing or else it freezes?

I was trying to view my pictures taken from my iPhone 4S and the pictures, all of them, were blurry as hell. And then the iPad crashed (WHAAAAT), and kept looping to the passcode screen.

So I restarted it and it seems to be okay. I'll let it finish the sync but, it's weird.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
I bought one today after work even though I didn't plan to, mostly because they still had some in stock and that the screen was so great.

Blackhead

Redarse
Oh, I almost forgot one more thing: iPhone/iPod touch support. Cregle said it will work with the little iOS devices but I haven't seen any of the apps yet. If it does work well I'd carry it everywhere.
Just thought to try it on the my iPhone with ibisPaint, which is a universal app, and it works well!! Can't wait for SpeedText and Writing Kana to get their updates and support the pen on the iPhone

I can't afford a second tablet... I'm happier with what iOS offers, and generally I do my sketching on a desktop with a Wacom. I'll be patient.

You can now get a HTC Flyer, which now officially runs honeycomb and ticks off on all your other criteria, for about the same price as the iPad cases/bags listed on the previous page. I'm waiting for a 6"-7.7" Galaxy Note or WOA tablet.

So can I not use the iPad while it's charging/syncing or else it freezes?

I was trying to view my pictures taken from my iPhone 4S and the pictures, all of them, were blurry as hell. And then the iPad crashed (WHAAAAT), and kept looping to the passcode screen.

So I restarted it and it seems to be okay. I'll let it finish the sync but, it's weird.

Thats ver odd, shouldnt do that.

e_i

Got the new HDMI adapter. Works beautifully, although disappointing that only certain apps support full screen (Star Walk, Video). Also picked up a bluetooth keyboard.

japtor

Cregle themselves said that they are working on a version two with pressure sensitivity and I've been keeping tabs on the Jot Touch (the tenone blue fire mentioned in the article doesn't interest me that much because it seems to be less precise).
Precision is a problem with the Jot too really, don't really give a damn about all the pressure sensitive ones until they get the precision down...and it's not like I want another battery powered device (unless the magic Bluetooth 4.0 battery stuff really works).
I actually preferred the slight texture feel of the protector. My finger slid across it with less resistance.

I'm glad everyone else loves their screen with no protector, I just can't stand the smudges :(
Screen protectors can get oily too, although matte ones will be much better in that regard and feel slick...they just suck ass on retina displays and degrade the quality to the point of canceling out most of the improvement. Glossy ones handle the image better but ultimately nothing is better than the bare glass.

AndTAR

To me, it's also about the thermal properties of the surface. The glass has a much cooler feel to it than plastic, making it much more comfortable to the touch, in my experience.

Paranoia never ends, though - I suppose a fair compromise would be an oleophobically coated screen protector. I wonder if such things exists in the cheaper price range..

NYR

Apple Canada rolled out its reserve And in store pickup system for the new iPad.

Surprised, my local Apple Store has everything in stock. Took me a week to get a 4S using the system since they only had so little of every size and color. Really shows Apple was beating the scalpers to death.

https://www.apple.com/ca/retail/ipad/

Vyer

I wonder how Apple worked it out this go around. We know now that the demand is still high, so that means that they really did have the supply chain nailed down for this launch. You would have thought with the screen (that apparently was difficult for some manufacturers to get right in time) that would have been a tougher task.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What kind of surfaces are you setting this thing on that you feel like you need protection for the back? Are you taking it into the diamond mine with you?
Anything hard. The back is just soft aluminum, prone to scratches and dings.
I used to just lay it smartcover face down when I had to place it on a hard surface until I got the back cover Tobor recommended.

Ashhong

Bodyguardz is great. Have used it on my phones since iPhone 1. Check it out, not that expensive imo.

Anybody that tells you there are bubbles or dust under the screen or it "looks wet" is doing it wrong.

Proc

Just bought the new ipad at discount for 10% off. The catch is that its a 16 GB. I'm not going to open it until I do a bit more research on App sizes.

I already have a plex server so I'm not storing any media locally. It will just store games, other apps, and maybe some comics. If I ever go on vacation I may save a couple movies locally for the flight.

Should 16 GB suffice? If I regret it later are their dark alleys that I can pay someone more than I should to upgrade the storage capacity?

Thoughts? I'm so tempted to tear off the shrink wrap and live with my frugal choice of a 10% discounted iPAD and go out and spend the extra $100 saved on an apple TV.

edit: this answered my question...if I ever go on a long trip I'll grab one of these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUF1-4RFRA (portable wifi hard drive, neat stuff)

LCfiner

Just bought the new ipad at discount for 10% off. The catch is that its a 16 GB. I'm not going to open it until I do a bit more research on App sizes.

I already have a plex server so I'm not storing any media locally. It will just store games, other apps, and maybe some comics. If I ever go on vacation I may save a couple movies locally for the flight.

Should 16 GB suffice? If I regret it later are their dark alleys that I can pay someone more than I should to upgrade the storage capacity?

Thoughts? I'm so tempted to tear off the shrink wrap and live with my frugal choice of a 10% discounted iPAD and go out and spend the extra $100 saved on an apple TV.

You’ll only feel the pinch if you start downloading and storing those newstand magazines or storing lots of comics locally. Or if you want to play every game loft console-lite game that comes out at 1 GB or more. (personally, I find the best ipad games are not so large in size)

I went a year with 16 GB and it was comics and mags that made me wish I had 32 GB during that time. I also reduced the amount of music and movies on it to near zero. But I kept issues on there for a long time even if I wasn’t reading them. If you get a comics reader with dropbox support, you can free up space more easily with less hassle putting issues back on there.

Proc

Ya my only size concern is games. Are saved games transferred during an itunes sync? If so, I should just be able to transfer the game back and forth for those meatier console-lite games?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I got the 16gig version. I have the two latest issues of wired and the new yorker and a like 2 months worth of comics to read and have a tooon of space to spare. I stream all my video and audio and am not really interested in games to the point where I'll want a bunch installed. (though angry birds in space is really fun believe it or not)

As far as apps go I already have all my bases covered. And photo stream is on as well. And iBooks take comparatively zero space. I'm not sure of the exact space available since I'm not at home bu I'd wager I have about 7 gigs of breathing room. I dont anticipate my usage patterns evolving to the point where it becomes and issue.

Haven't checked out iTunesU yet.

Proc

Thanks for the impressions guys. I'm going to stay content with my 16 gb choice. I can't justify the $615 Canadian + taxes price tag for the teeny extra bit of storage. The discount that brings it below $500 will let me sleep a little easier at night lol. Especially considering the inevitable extra money I'll be spending on apps, case, and apple tv.

Quick

Banned
Thanks for the impressions guys. I'm going to stay content with my 16 gb choice. I can't justify the $615 Canadian + taxes price tag for the teeny extra bit of storage. The discount that brings it below $500 will let me sleep a little easier at night lol. Especially considering the inevitable extra money I'll be spending on apps, case, and apple tv.

I initially wanted to go for the 32GB, but I realized that I wasn't really going to put my music in it, which is a lot. I'm currently using up 2GB on comics and books. Still got plenty of space for other things.

dyls

Love going to the app store and seeing updates for my apps.....with retina support.

Yup. People can say what the want about the Apple marketing machine making people want to upgrade their old iPads, but the number one thing that will make people do so is seeing 5 apps a day touting updates "for the incredible new iPad screen!" It's relentless and I love it... because I have a new iPad. I'd hate it otherwise.

The devs are doing Apple's job for them, and even better than Apple could hope to.

Seventh

If you're looking for a sleeve for your iPad, 1SaleADay is selling a 2-pack for $3 with free shipping. It's made out of leather, and has a pocket to store miscellaneous items.

verlizon_tablet_sleeve-2pack.jpg

Not sure about the quality, but for $3, I figured it will be handy to have around.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Folder in dock - mind blown.

I have four pages. One homepage with most often used apps, second one with more general apps, a third full of games in category folders, and a fourth which I use as a dumping ground for crap I don't want to have cluttering up my pages (calendar, messages etc)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm heavily experiencing that "i can't even believe this is a thing that exists" euphoria only technology can provide. This is the first truly new piece of tech I've had since my first smartphone. It's Friday night, sittin' in my chair instead of hunched at my desk. Just taking it all in.

dc89

I have locked my screen and don't use the simple password (4-digits). So when I unlock the screen I get the keyboard instead of the number pad.

Go in to Settings and under General head to Passcode Lock and turn off Simple Passcode. It then prompts you to use the keyboard and write a true password instead of a 4 digit style PIN.

Lace

If you're looking for a sleeve for your iPad, 1SaleADay is selling a 2-pack for $3 with free shipping. It's made out of leather, and has a pocket to store miscellaneous items.

verlizon_tablet_sleeve-2pack.jpg

Not sure about the quality, but for $3, I figured it will be handy to have around.

I want this but I worry the leather might bleed onto the iPad. Am I crazy?

japtor

Is Apple exchanging the old HDMI adapter for the new one?
I was about to ask this myself. I'm probably going to exchange my iPad Monday so I guess I'll find out then. I figure it's the same price as the Smart Cover, if they're replacing those they should be able to replace the HDMI adapter for a similar reason.
Ya my only size concern is games. Are saved games transferred during an itunes sync? If so, I should just be able to transfer the game back and forth for those meatier console-lite games?
I don't think so, I think apps only transfer contents (like saves) back when you do a full device restore. If an app does iCloud saving* (or some other remote save thing) you'd be fine, but that seems to be rare rather than the norm.

However with the help of some apps you can extract the save files and stuff from either the iPad itself or unencrypted backups, and transfer back manually when the time comes. This doesn't work for everything...and if an app gets updated or changed a lot and changes the save format, the trick might not work.

*Speaking of iCloud data, did they change the app deletion dialog (for apps with iCloud stored data) in 5.1? I thought it made it sound like the iCloud data would be deleted as well before, but now it says that data won't be deleted and has to be managed from Settings.

Top Bottom