• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

dave_m123

Guys,

I'm thinking sometime of getting one of these but am wondering, With the Ipad how easy is it to say play avi files or add epubs/mp3s to the device? I'm used to being able to drag and drop in windows file explorer on my android phone which is great but it seems the ipad has limits on what you can do with it. Mulling over getting a tablet soon.

What kind of surfaces are you setting this thing on that you feel like you need protection for the back? Are you taking it into the diamond mine with you?

I don't know what to think about this. My MBP bottom is scratched to hell and I've only ever used it on my desk.

I was looking at a clear skin for the back, but I don't know now. How is the back of your iPad holding up?

japtor

Hdmi adapter was updated?
Seems the same at the store online. What was changed?
No clue but the old adapter shows it's unsupported when you connect it:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...al_av_adapter_not_optimized_for_new_ipad.html

I tested mine out yesterday and it seemed to work after dismissing the message but I've seen a few posts about having issues.
I don't know what to think about this. My MBP bottom is scratched to hell and I've only ever used it on my desk.

I was looking at a clear skin for the back, but I don't know now. How is the back of your iPad holding up?
My iPad 2 has been fine, figure it just depends on how you handle your stuff...since your MBP is scratched to hell* you might as well get one if you're concerned about the appearance.

*Which MBP and what's on your desk? Cause the MBPs have feet which makes the scratching only on a desk even less likely.

My iPad 2 has been fine, figure it just depends on how you handle your stuff...since your MBP is scratched to hell* you might as well get one if you're concerned about the appearance.

*Which MBP and what's on your desk? Cause the MBPs have feet which makes the scratching only on a desk even less likely.

It's a 2008 unibody. So ive had it a while, and I have looked after it! It's not a biggie for me really, especially since its engraved, I don't think I'll be too fussed about resale value.

My iPhone is naked other than a slip case and I love the touch of it. So I think I'll stuck with just my travel case when it's in my luggage and my smart cover.

Toki767

I'm at such a loss of what apps I should be downloading. I'd like to not pay for any apps unless they're absolutely crucial which is why I've only really gotten Splashtop which is fantastic.

MontTrain

Banned
Guys,

I'm thinking sometime of getting one of these but am wondering, With the Ipad how easy is it to say play avi files or add epubs/mp3s to the device? I'm used to being able to drag and drop in windows file explorer on my android phone which is great but it seems the ipad has limits on what you can do with it. Mulling over getting a tablet soon.

It's essentially drag and drop but through iTunes instead of explorer.

I use manual music sync and drag from the library to the device. Movie files are similar but use a section in itunes called File Sharing. Just click on the app like AVPlayerHD and then the add button which then brings up your PC directory structure. Just point it and it copies directly into the app.

It's essentially drag and drop but through iTunes instead of explorer.

I use manual music sync and drag from the library to the device. Movie files are similar but use a section in itunes called File Sharing. Just click on the app like AVPlayerHD and then the add button which then brings up your PC directory structure. Just point it and it copies directly into the app.

Icloud and dropbox would be good alternatives to this right?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

If I were to guess about the scratch cause I'd say dust and fan exhaust airflow. It can wreck more havoc over time than you think.

Enco

I'm at such a loss of what apps I should be downloading. I'd like to not pay for any apps unless they're absolutely crucial which is why I've only really gotten Splashtop which is fantastic.
There are only a few good free apps. Mostly of free services such as Dropbox and Evernote.

If you want good apps and games (especially games) you have to pay. They will hardly break the bank.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I was about to ask this myself. I'm probably going to exchange my iPad Monday so I guess I'll find out then. I figure it's the same price as the Smart Cover, if they're replacing those they should be able to replace the HDMI adapter for a similar reason.I don't think so, I think apps only transfer contents (like saves) back when you do a full device restore. If an app does iCloud saving* (or some other remote save thing) you'd be fine, but that seems to be rare rather than the norm.However with the help of some apps you can extract the save files and stuff from either the iPad itself or unencrypted backups, and transfer back manually when the time comes. This doesn't work for everything...and if an app gets updated or changed a lot and changes the save format, the trick might not work.*Speaking of iCloud data, did they change the app deletion dialog (for apps with iCloud stored data) in 5.1? I thought it made it sound like the iCloud data would be deleted as well before, but now it says that data won't be deleted and has to be managed from Settings.
No it will do game progress. In the backups. My world of goo progress is right where I left off on my old iPad. Angry birds too.

I am unsure how this happened, but my iPad 2 has been thrown back and forth without abandon and has survived intact. There are some tiny, barely noticeable scratches on the glass if you study the screen, but for the most part whatever hardened glass Apple chose for the device worked A-OK.

On my Retina-if-you-squint iPad the III, I now have a large 2 inch nick that is as obvious to me as a pixel on this screen from 3 feet out. I'm quite shocked, as the only usage the device received in the last few days has been in service to my 2 year old daughter and some heated rounds of Draw Something.

Since the scratch is a nearly perfect straight line, I have a feeling that the smart cover from my iPad 2, which at one point was just placed on III with the metal bar across the screen, might have caused the blemish. As if I weren't already disappointed with the display!

I'll bring this to an Apple store later and see if I am allowed to swap or upgrade models. I hope that one of the geniuses flips over the device to reveal the engraving, at which point I expect a heated discussion on what actually constitutes a Retina-class device and how a lot of customers are disappointed with receiving only a 240PPI screen.

You spent hundreds of dollars on a piece of skilled engineering that only Apple could've produced affordably, and you're being miserly over programs that typically cost less than a drink?

As a consumer, the race to the bottom that Apple initiated with prices has had the side effect of making me care little about 'wasting' money on app purchases. I throw more money away buying coffee at Starbucks on any given day. Buying a $2 trackpad app that doesn't do everything I want isn't the end of the world.

dc89

I am unsure how this happened, but my iPad 2 has been thrown back and forth without abandon and has survived intact. There are some tiny, barely noticeable scratches on the glass if you study the screen, but for the most part whatever hardened glass Apple chose for the device worked A-OK.

On my Retina-if-you-squint iPad the III, I now have a large 2 inch nick that is as obvious to me as a pixel on this screen from 3 feet out. I'm quite shocked, as the only usage the device received in the last few days has been in service to my 2 year old daughter and some heated rounds of Draw Something.

Since the scratch is a nearly perfect straight line, I have a feeling that the smart cover from my iPad 2, which at one point was just placed on III with the metal bar across the screen, might have caused the blemish. As if I weren't already disappointed with the display!

I'll bring this to an Apple store later and see if I am allowed to swap or upgrade models. I hope that one of the geniuses flips over the device to reveal the engraving, at which point I expect a heated discussion on what actually constitutes a Retina-class device and how a lot of customers are disappointed with receiving only a 240PPI screen.

You spent hundreds of dollars on a piece of skilled engineering that only Apple could've produced affordably, and you're being miserly over programs that typically cost less than a drink?

As a consumer, the race to the bottom that Apple initiated with prices has had the side effect of making me care little about 'wasting' money on app purchases. I throw more money away buying coffee at Starbucks on any given day. Buying a $2 trackpad app that doesn't do everything I want isn't the end of the world.

Are you saying the screen is not a retina display?

epmode

Once I realized that I could see the pixels when I held my new iPad right up to my face, I smashed it against the nearest wall. I'm listening to Refrigerator from now on!

Enco

:lol

Not retina? I'm guessing you're joking.

Also why did you get an engraving? To me that has always been a really stupid decision.

:lol

Not retina? I'm guessing you're joking.

Also why did you get an engraving? To me that has always been a really stupid decision.

Why would it be stupid? I don't resell my devices, and I needed to let my frustrations with Apple's choice of screens known. I'm not a fanatical enough to get a Zune tatoo, but had no qualms marking up my iPad the III with my non-Retina spiel to spread my message further.

Oh well. Will pack this device into its box later and drive down to the mall later for some discussions. It would be great if they would swap out the device due to the scratch, but I have reservations about losing my engraving.

Are you saying the screen is not a retina display?
For me? It's close, but no, it isn't. I understand that it is nothing but a marketing term at this point.

dc89

Why would it be stupid? I don't resell my devices, and I needed to let my frustrations with Apple's choice of screens known. I'm not a fanatical enough to get a Zune tatoo, but had no qualms marking up my iPad the III with my non-Retina spiel to spread my message further.

Oh well. Will pack this device into its box later and drive down to the mall later for some discussions. It would be great if they would swap out the device due to the scratch, but I have reservations about losing my engraving.

For me? It's close, but no, it isn't. I understand that it is nothing but a marketing term at this point.

Understood loud and clear!

What have you got engraved on your iPad?

Enco

Fair enough.

I feel that it makes the device look uglier, it's unnecessary and I don't want to ruin my resale value.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
does anyone have any recommendations for good folio-style leather cases for the new iPad? my classy, now defunct AYL-branded case that I spoke platitudes about last year is no longer 'smart' since Apple reversed the polarity on the magnets. it holds the device well enough, but the extra step of hitting a button to turn on the device annoys me to no end.

the switcheasy case from the last page looks nice but i've read some issues of the plastic frame cracking after some time in use.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I'm pretty happy with the Maroo leather folio case.

ooo. those look quite nice, though i'm not sure whether to order these cases through amazon (have store credit there) or directly from the manufacturer. with the former i'm sure they'll replace/swap any case that doesn't initially work with the new iPad. with amazon i've read some instances where case manufacturers have told customers to deal with the reseller for swaps (like on that switcheasy case).

So after playing with the iPad for a full week, I realized that I don't need a tablet in my life. However because I'm a good son I gave it to my mom instead of returning it.

I really do like the hardware, but it's just not needed by me.

Yeah, it actually does less than my combo of MacBook Air plus a Kindle. It's definitely a luxury and not a need (ditto for the Kindle).

I've had both of the old models, each of which I kept for a year and used daily, and neither had so much as a scratch on either side of the unit. I'm not sure how I'd even notice if I did scratch the back since I never would have looked back there other than reading Gaf, but it seems silly to me to put any plastic on an iPad, front or back. They're very well built and it seems like you're ruining the feel of something that already feels really great in your hand. The solid aluminum and glass feel is one of the best parts about using an iPad IMO.

SeanR1221

I've had both of the old models, each of which I kept for a year and used daily, and neither had so much as a scratch on either side of the unit. I'm not sure how I'd even notice if I did scratch the back since I never would have looked back there other than reading Gaf, but it seems silly to me to put any plastic on an iPad, front or back. They're very well built and it seems like you're ruining the feel of something that already feels really great in your hand. The solid aluminum and glass feel is one of the best parts about using an iPad IMO.

Argh this is why I keep going back and forth.

Maybe I should just get sleeves for my Air and iPad to protect them in my bag...

Something like a phone I think needs a case, even a thin rubbery one (lol) because it goes in and out of your pocket. But the Air and iPad are mostly stationary.

Tobor

Argh this is why I keep going back and forth.

Maybe I should just get sleeves for my Air and iPad to protect them in my bag...

Something like a phone I think needs a case, even a thin rubbery one (lol) because it goes in and out of your pocket. But the Air and iPad are mostly stationary.

That would be my recommendation.

That would be my recommendation.

Yep. You're shorting yourself by covering the thing with plastic at all. I just toss mine in a standard canvas courier bag when I go out, but I also don't ever bring much besides the iPad, so a sleeve just to keep it from slamming against anything else in the bag seems smart.

MasLegio

Banned
Yep. You're shorting yourself by covering the thing with plastic at all. I just toss mine in a standard canvas courier bag when I go out, but I also don't ever bring much besides the iPad, so a sleeve just to keep it from slamming against anything else in the bag seems smart.

until you slam the bag into something

Sounds good.

I'm naked with my iPhone with just the slip case, so I will just stick with my Cool Banana's carry case for when its in my bag, and my Smart Cover only when it's in my hands :)

MasLegio

Banned
That's why I would definitely use a sleeve. It's no different than a laptop in that regard.

yes but I would not recommend a nylon, felt or textile sleeve. Needs to be at least leather texture or harder to protect from hard edges. Also, if you remember, always place iPad with screen facing inwards of the bag so any outside objects at least only hit the back.

Tobor

yes but I would not recommend a nylon, felt or textile sleeve. Needs to be at least leather texture or harder to protect from hard edges. Also, if you remember, always place iPad with screen facing inwards of the bag so any outside objects at least only hit the back.

I wouldn't go that far. I'm using this:

cadet27.jpg

And the iPad is well protected. I do have the smart cover protecting the screen inside the sleeve, of course.

I also have one of these:

cf7ee63c.jpg

That sleeve has a hard plastic insert built in to protect the screen, and has survived a 4 foot drop without so much as a scratch on the iPad.

Top Bottom