• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

dojokun

Banned
So far i've not done anything like that and it's doing what I seem to think is correct, it's best to run down the battery to near flat like once every month isn't it?

I dont even need to try with mine. Playing Air Supremacy online using LTE will drain it QUICK.

Zeth

So far i've not done anything like that and it's doing what I seem to think is correct, it's best to run down the battery to near flat like once every month isn't it?

I used to do that and recently read that I'm wrong and it's fine (and possibly better) to keep it fully charged when using it, that there are no memory issues with modern li ion. And to store it around 50% if possible. I'm sure there will be many conflicting opinions/info.

X-Frame

That was recommended with older devices but I am not so sure if it is needed on iOS devices.

I used to do that and recently read that I'm wrong and it's fine (and possibly better) to keep it fully charged when using it, that there are no memory issues with modern li ion. And to store it around 50% if possible. I'm sure there will be many conflicting opinions/info.

That was recommended with older devices but I am not so sure if it is needed on iOS devices.

I usually top up charge at night so that's good to know.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just added some photos to my ipad via itunes, and it started wifi sync (while my son is playing on it, which is good), but its backing up all the apps I downloaded/updated, which makes it slow.

is there some way I can stop it doing that? I already set itunes up to automatically download apps that I buy. Does that not apply to if I update an app on the ipad?

also - shit, 20GB for my apps. Need to trim down the big ones. any way to sort by size?

Ambitious

So while traveling home from the city I study in, very disappointed because I got no iPad, I heard on Twitter that there's actually another store of our local Apple reseller which still had several iPads. And it's about five minutes from the dorms I live in. Fuck.

also - shit, 20GB for my apps. Need to trim down the big ones. any way to sort by size?

Wow, do you have that many games or just a huge bunch of apps? I've changed my mind about the storage capacity and now want a 16gig model, as I intend to stream all my media and secondly, on my iPhone only 1.67gig of storage are consumed by apps. Still on iOS 5.0.1 though, but I doubt the retina assets of the stock apps will make a big difference.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I gave up on those after the second one cracked in the corner. I just roll naked on the back now.

I use a smart cover and the nice sleeve that came with my bag.

Argh this is why I keep going back and forth.

Maybe I should just get sleeves for my Air and iPad to protect them in my bag...

Something like a phone I think needs a case, even a thin rubbery one (lol) because it goes in and out of your pocket. But the Air and iPad are mostly stationary.
I actually took mine off as well last week as I'm preparing to sell it and the feel of the metal back is definitely better. iPad 2 is always ice cold but I guess that will change. ;)
I've just gone back to being careful on what I lay the back on. My iPad 1 had microscratches, iPad 2 is still mint.

I just use a sleeve and smart cover when I put it in my bag so I echo those recommendations..

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Tweetbot on this thing is the most fun thing ever. I love twitter so much.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Make an account and just start typing the first thing that comes
into your head! It doesn't matter if people read it. It's really fun. I'll follow you!
Also, follow @metempsych

Tobor

$5000 is clearly an exaggeration. Everybody around here did predict a starting price of $800-1000 before the iPad launched. We were all blown away by $499, as was the rest of the industry.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So while traveling home from the city I study in, very disappointed because I got no iPad, I heard on Twitter that there's actually another store of our local Apple reseller which still had several iPads. And it's about five minutes from the dorms I live in. Fuck.Wow, do you have that many games or just a huge bunch of apps? I've changed my mind about the storage capacity and now want a 16gig model, as I intend to stream all my media and secondly, on my iPhone only 1.67gig of storage are consumed by apps. Still on iOS 5.0.1 though, but I doubt the retina assets of the stock apps will make a big difference.

Only one page of games, but lots of folders. 125 games in all. 70 other apps.

kehs

Banned
$5000 is clearly an exaggeration. Everybody around here did predict a starting price of $800-1000 before the iPad launched. We were all blown away by $499, as was the rest of the industry.

Well considering the price for reference monitors matching the quality, it's probably on point if they were going to just be used for the ipad line, but I'm sure Apple has bought at least a three year supply of lcd production for macs,airs,macbooks,ipods, etc.

Cyport

I haven't followed this thread much but I'm off to USA in 2 weeks and I am thinking of getting an iPad there. I'm from the UK so I would be saving a lot. Will I be able to walk in store and get one by then? What model should I go for, I'm thinking 32GB or 64GB wifi

Chanser

I haven't followed this thread much but I'm off to USA in 2 weeks and I am thinking of getting an iPad there. I'm from the UK so I would be saving a lot. Will I be able to walk in store and get one by then? What model should I go for, I'm thinking 32GB or 64GB wifi or 16GB 4G

If your going the 3G/4G route make sure you get the AT&T version, though I thought all 4G SKUs are worldwide compatible.

lol if it weren't for Mr XYZ, your fav gadget would cost 10X its retail price. That article is utter garbage.

3 million ipads sold in 4 days with the priciest screen and Best build quality in the market and still in stock and being sold for profit at near competion price ....

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
3 million ipads sold in 4 days with the priciest screen and Best build quality in the market and still in stock and being sold for profit at near competion price ....

Tim Cook is brilliant, but that doesn't change the fact that the article was garbage.

So the new iCloud Journal sharing thing easily makes up for the killing of MobileMe albums, have already made a few and they're gorgeous and so easy to share and. Anyone know if there's any way to actually view the journals in a discoverable way other than mailing yourself a link from iPhoto on an iPad/iPhone? I assume this will be fleshed out, and that there will be a journal icon on the iCloud home page. But now, it seems impossible, unless I'm mistaken.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just enabled wifi sync and I have to say I was missing out not doing this before, really handy.

One thing I discovered and find handy about wifi sync, is that if you change something in iTunes (eg add a photo album, or add some files to an app), then click sync, it'll wifi sync immediately, even if the ipad is being used. Normally it doesn't sync unless its charging

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So the new iCloud Journal sharing thing easily makes up for the killing of MobileMe albums, have already made a few and they're gorgeous and so easy to share and. Anyone know if there's any way to actually view the journals in a discoverable way other than mailing yourself a link from iPhoto on an iPad/iPhone? I assume this will be fleshed out, and that there will be a journal icon on the iCloud home page. But now, it seems impossible, unless I'm mistaken.

I loved making journals, and the only disappointment was the random URL. Would have much preferred a simple iCloud.net/mrklaw/journals type link so it's easy to keep as a bookmark eg for parents

One thing I discovered and find handy about wifi sync, is that if you change something in iTunes (eg add a photo album, or add some files to an app), then click sync, it'll wifi sync immediately, even if the ipad is being used. Normally it doesn't sync unless its charging

I have manage manually on, so I just drag and drop wirelessly (etc videos, etc), don't even have to click sync. Super handy.

Quick

Banned
I just bought the Griffin IntelliCase. It has the wake/sleep feature of the Smart Cover and has a back plate, and it's $49.99. It's nice and lightweight.

22-Griffin-IntelliCase.jpg

Yes it's great I was able to sync a few gigs worth of apps while using justin.tv without a problem, a few laggy pauses but that might have just been the stream.

japtor

I usually top up charge at night so that's good to know.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/
http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

Basically just use it. It does say to "go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)." Which may just be confusing wording, considering on the other page they say this for a charge cycle: "A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle."

I wouldn't worry about it since you'll probably go through enough cycles in regular use. If you notice issues like overly short life or if you suspect the reading is wrong, then you should try doing the full charge and discharge.
Well considering the price for reference monitors matching the quality, it's probably on point if they were going to just be used for the ipad line, but I'm sure Apple has bought at least a three year supply of lcd production for macs,airs,macbooks,ipods, etc.
Yeah they do multi year component deals and pay a few billion up front now and then. Just minor dents in the giant cash hoard they have.

I just bought the Griffin IntelliCase. It has the wake/sleep feature of the Smart Cover and has a back plate, and it's $49.99. It's nice and lightweight.

22-Griffin-IntelliCase.jpg

Did the fix the defect that plagued the iPad 2 version where if you folded the front cover all the way around the back it would lock the iPad?

Quick

Banned
Did the fix the defect that plagued the iPad 2 version where if you folded the front cover all the way around the back it would lock the iPad?

Haven't actually heard of that issue before, but I just tried it now and nothing's happening. So I guess it's been fixed.

GJS

The fix for that is built into the new ipad (magnet polarity) and is what caused all the issues with old cases not working with the new ipad.

Top Bottom