• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

LevelNth

Banned
How come when I try to share Notes in iCloud it keeps asking me to set up an @me.com email address? I just want to use my main account. No can do?

LCfiner

So if I wanna rip 1080p movies and then place them on my iPad via iTunes, what's the best all around decoder/playback app?

you gonna rip as h.264, right? Just use the built in movies app from Apple. You’re already planning to use iTunes to get them onto the ipad, so it just makes sense to use the built in app and encode with h.264 (remember, you'll get better battery life watching h.264 video on the ipad instead of a player trying to decode divx via the CPU)

General reaction was very lukewarm to say the the least. I remember a lot of friends thinking Apple was way off base with the original iPad. Tunes started to change a month or so later when we started to see the first apps prior to release of the device. A lot of people started to change their opinions at that point.

cnizzle06

Banned
you gonna rip as h.264, right? Just use the built in movies app from Apple. You’re already planning to use iTunes to get them onto the ipad, so it just makes sense to use the built in app and encode with h.264 (remember, you'll get better battery life watching h.264 video on the ipad instead of a player trying to decode divx via the CPU)

Fair enough. I'll give it a try. Thanks :)

Cheebo

Banned
I wonder if anyone actually believes the lol big ipod touch lol meme anymore these days. Once people started using them that comment seemed to die off.

kehs

Banned
I wonder if anyone actually believes the lol big ipod touch lol meme anymore these days. Once people started using them that comment seemed to die off.

It's not?

The apps themselves are different, sure, but the device and OS on it are one and the same.

noah111

Still Alive
The only place that argument holds up is with the lock screen. That shit just looks laughable.

Proc

Moment of awesome...bought the plex app since I already have a plex server with all my media of various formats. Bought the new apple tv. Airplayed from my ipad to the apple tv at 720p and looks incredible. Go me.

On another note: Netflix in Canada has come a long way. Still not the greatest for new shows but still pretty good. A large assortment of hd content. Going to enjoy my free month.

Tobor

Yes, the iPad can be seen as an oversized iPod Touch. It's not a negative description. The iPod Touch is a useful handheld computer, but it's held back by screen size and tech specs. Increase both, most importantly the 10" screen, and you have access to a wide range of applications, user interfaces, and use cases that either don't work or arent suited to a smaller device.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes, the iPad can be seen as an oversized iPod Touch. It's not a negative description. The iPod Touch is a useful handheld computer, but it's held back by screen size and tech specs. Increase both, most importantly the 10" screen, and you have access to a wide range of applications, user interfaces, and use cases that either don't work or arent suited to a smaller device.

Yeah that is kinda how I always thought about it. The one thing it seems to have done for sure is carved out some real utility. Like for example I can do PDF game manuals on my phone, comics, Netflix, etc. etc. but those are all really perfect for something tablet sized. I think a lot of people didn't really see that part happening.

I bought GoodReader but not sure how to use it. HELP ME GAF!

Here's what I'd like to do.

1. Have it sync up with my Dropbox. Does this mean I can delete the dropbox app and everything will always stay sync'd?

2. When I open up email attachment (corporate exchange), they open in GoodReader

3. Safari download and attachments go into GoodReader.

Are these possible and if so, how?

This is a classic gary whitta quote from the original thread

My prediction, feel free to bookmark this and throw it in my face later if I turn out to be wrong:

Kindle is dead, or at least irrelevant, twelve months from now

Exactly how I feel. I don't get why people try to defend against or defend for when this argument shows up. That's what it is. I use my iPad 1st gen daily and still think this.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It kills me that newsstand won't download in the background. Especially because I have a ghetto-ass 3megabit connection.

I've been using my iPad the same way as my touch so far, I see no problem doing this :)

Right this moment I am browsing gaf on my iPad while streaming a twitch.tv oot bingo video on my touch, best of both worlds.

I have downloaded some apps which fit the iPad better such as drawing apps.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have verbs and verbs pro but it's iPhone only right? Or am I super dumb?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god. I had no idea verbs was a universal app. yup. Errbody come laugh at me.

LCfiner

General reaction was very lukewarm to say the the least. I remember a lot of friends thinking Apple was way off base with the original iPad. Tunes started to change a month or so later when we started to see the first apps prior to release of the device. A lot of people started to change their opinions at that point.

I was pretty down on it. Without the benefit of hindsight, there were a few things that stood out to me from that press event that soured me on the iPad. The first was the home screen that was almost exactly as the phone - seemed like a poor use of space at the time. The second was showing some very basic apps that did not have more features than the phone counterparts (talking maps, safari, music) . The third was showing phone apps blown up full screen. (that still doesn't work great and was the biggest wtf moment for me at the time)

So, yeah, before they got to the iWork apps that were way more ambitious, I was already pretty down on it and didn't want to see the larger potential. I'm not surprised by how negative the reaction was online.

But a key takeaway was that the people who got their hands on the iPad after the press event were almost entirely positive about it. That says a lot about how the "feel" of the thing was so important - even before the iPad apps became such a big deal.

kehs

Banned

Stop trolling me, Tobor.

japtor

How come when I try to share Notes in iCloud it keeps asking me to set up an @me.com email address? I just want to use my main account. No can do?
Notes works by using a folder on an IMAP mail account, so to use Notes on iCloud you need an iCloud mail account as well. You can use Notes with any other IMAP mail account though, just turn it on whatever other account rather than iCloud.

Vyer

Anyone have a good updated instruction link for ripping my blu rays for play on the ipad/airplay to Apple TV? Going to be on a Windows 7 system.

dwebo

Finally decided I couldn't stand the tinted blob on the edge of the screen anymore, so went to exchange my ipad earlier. New one has no issues, or at least nothing that bothers me, so thank fucking god.

coldfoot

Banned
I got mine and noticed I have a single black dead pixel (I'm positive it's not dirt, I rubbed hard to remove it). Please tell me I can take it to Apple for a replacement and they're not going to give me any BS.

Top Bottom