• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

JDeluis

Does anybody know if the the 14 day return/exchange start on the day we preordered or the day received our iPad? Was able to use a discount to purchase a 64GB wifi model and would like to return my 32GB model.

Edit: just read on apple website. " For eligible Mac, iPad, iPod, and third-party products, you have up to 14 calendar days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return."

MasLegio

Banned
Otterbox ipad case

http://www.otterbox.com/new-ipad/new-ipad,default,pg.html

ipad3-form-exploded.jpg

if I can afford it I might buy this for summer and autumn outdoors use

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got my maroo case today, and sleep/wake works, so no need to return it.nalso, the red leather matches my sofa really well, it's a darker leather than the apple smart cover.

.hacked

How do you use your iPad during your sanitary inner body cleansing?

any tips on self made stands?

angled%20stand%20itoiletstand240.jpg

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/09/ipad-stand-on-kickstarter-is-for-the-bathroom/
http://www.angledstand.com/index.php/itoiletstand

admit it...
we all use our ipad in the T sometimes.

I use a guitar hanger, use it to hold my iPad, laptop, ps vita or anything when it comes time to do paper work.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AS7R7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is remarkablely versatile just when I sell the house someone is going to think I like to play guitar in the toilet.

So as I discussed yesterday, I absconded to the nearest Apple store to exchange my iPad. Thankfully, it is located less than a few miles away from my homestead. Before I left I confirmed with an Apple Customer Service representative whether, in the event of a hardware defect or failure, I could swap out an engraved iPad in an Apple Store for an unmarked one. The CS rep confirmed that to be true, then playfully asked what the engraving was. Bothered as I was by the scratch – never mind the screen density! – I quickly logged off Apple’s online chat before I typed out something I’d regret.

I arrived at the Apple store around 3pm, leaving my daughter and her gorilla glass-destroying hands with her mother. Perhaps she could use those hands for good and shatter her current boyfriend’s arm.

I entered the store with iPad exposed, tucked into the nook of my left arm while its box dangled in a yellow Best Buy bag to my right.

Without hesitation I ambled up to the genius bar and explained my situation. First, I wasn’t impressed with the quality of the screen. He goes on about how a few customers had light bleed issues and that they’ve swapped out a few of the most egregious displays.

“Did any of them have higher density screens?” I asked
“Huh?”
“Oh, never mind, it was a small joke.”

I playfully push his shoulder to emphasize my jocular nature, but realized soon that he was far weaker than most people I’ve dealt with. I sent him back several feet and apologized profusely for the mishap. I explained the push as one premised on friendship and camaraderie, an explanation he readily accepted. I could sense that he trusted me.

I then explained what happened with my daughter. How she stole the iPad in a fit of Angry Bird rage and flung it off the table as if it too were on a slingshot. It was a display of petulance that has, sadly, become all too common of late. I believe it to be from the inner rage of watching her parents divorce, but it will take years of therapy to tease that out.

He noticed the scratch immediately, and said it was remarkable that the device managed one so easily. Apparently mine was special. After staring at the screen a few times while turning the device on and off through the power switch, he eventually looked up and said he’d swap out the device for a new one, no charge.

I smiled, but asked if it was okay because that the device was engraved. Looking back down at the device and flipping over, he was in the midst of saying –

“It won’t be an issue at …”

There was silence for a few seconds.

“What does this mean?”

He looked back up at me. At this point I needed to associate my target with a name, so without gazing off his eyes I asked for it.

“Look, George, I know it’s only a marketing term at this point, but let’s be honest here. This is all a sham. This isn’t a retina display. The PPI is clearly below 300, which Steve Jobs claimed was the magic point where pixels faded away.”

“No, this is a retina display. If you hold this at a normal distance from your face you won’t notice a pixel.”

“If I narrow my eyes and squint I won’t notice it either.”

“If you need to squint to ‘pretend’ this is a Retina display you must have some issues. “

“How could you call this a Retina screen, only to clarify that distance becomes an issue?” I ask incredulously. I turn around and notice a row of Macbook Airs on a table. “Do you consider those devices to have Retina screens?”

“Of course not, b-“

I cut George off immediately. “Well I surely don’t see any pixels on those displays from here, so why shouldn’t those be Retina as well? Can’t you see this is all a sham, George? They sold us on over 320 PPI for our devices, then hand us this garbage while telling us to forget the past!.”

“Look, it’s a Retina screen because that’s what Apple calls it…”

“Exactly! It’s a marketing term now!”

“No, there is a scientific basis for it, factoring in pixel density and how far you hold the device from your screen.”

“In which case nearly any laptop screen or tablet can be called a ‘Retina’ display (I did make air quotes) so long as you hold the device at enough of a distance from your face. Come on, George, don’t you see how stupid this is? They’re selling us crap and telling us it’s fillet mignon!

“This display is nice, but it certainly isn’t as dense as the iPhone 4 or 4S! Do you think Steve Jobs would’ve allowed this to happen were he still alive? It’s shameful how slowly this company is turning away from its trendsetting pace, content to follow the herd instead of being the leader!”

I clench my fist and raise it.

“Sir, you’re talking about, what, 70 pixels-per-inch at most.”

“Yes, and that is what defines a Retina screen for what it truly is…quantifiable and qualitative. The best of the best. This is just garbage, and I can’t believe Apple this is how the company now treats its most loyal customers”

I take the device out of his hands, and for show, drop it on the counter. There is silence for a few seconds as George realizes that a crowd has formed, both among the customers and some staff. He turns around while whispering something into his headset microphone, taps on his store iPhone and says he’ll swap the device for me, but only if I agree to leave immediately.

George doesn’t even look me in the eye. It’s simply shameful.

After some more haggling, I convince George to upgrade my purchase to a cellular model with 32gb of RAM. I chose Verizon as I’ve read in this thread that people seem to have the best speeds with them.

Yes, there is irony in that I am spending even more money on a device whose screen, and the marketing behind it, I despise. I can’t explain it either.

So that is my story. My engraved, Retina-If-You-Squint iPad is history. I should have taken a picture of the device beforehand, but I barely used it in the days I had it, and was too upset over the scratch (and the device itself, actually) to even bother. I can see the value of the upgrade with the LTE upgrade, though. The speed of the cellular connection is amazing, and should prove useful on some upcoming business trips. I remember the hotel wifi in Birmingham, AL to be particularly wretched the last time I attended a conference there.

Vyer

....and that's how you jump a shark. Hopefully some of you will get bored enough to stop being part of the act. But I doubt it.

fridge is that guy that i stare at in the store for wasting everyone else's time with inane questions. Your George Costanza

George-costanza.jpg

that otter box for ipad is so pointless, buy a nice slipcover case and don't drop the ipad.

Tobor

I spent a good portion of my afternoon yesterday reading, and the amazing Retina Display didn't disappoint. Reading novels on this scientifically proven Retina Display is truly glorious. I'm so happy that Apple was able to secure the resources to upgrade to a mathematically proven Retina Display.

Retina Display.

Vyer

I understand the point of the otter box case I suppose, but man all the added bulk really seems to be overdoing it.

SeanR1221

The only person I recommend the otterbox for is my sister. Who is autistic. And runs around with her iPad like a boom box up to her ear.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
wtf?

anyhow. any other recommendation for good folio cases? some of you still might remember my love for (cheap) asian cases for my iDevices, which puts me in a bind now because we're still at that phase where they can't guarantee which of their cases have the correct polarity to unlock the new iPad screen. i was close to ordering several of them before i decided to simply wait.

i'm willing to spend up to $100 on a folio that looks presentable in a business environment. I'd prefer it if the case offers some type of easel functionality. any recommendations? thanks in advance.

also, once again. wtf??

Tobor

I understand the point of the otter box case I suppose, but man all the added bulk really seems to be overdoing it.

Otter box cases are being used by companies who are deploying iPads out in the field. Makes sense in that context.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just want to reiterate I was the first on GAF to post my OG iPad.

MasLegio

Banned
Otter box cases are being used by companies who are deploying iPads out in the field. Makes sense in that context.

Yes,
I might be using my iPad in forest environment during the summer as well as near lake environment.

also

Show me your home screens!

How do you organize the apps and why?

Trying to organize my iPad but need inspiration.

MasLegio

Banned
I just tried to backup to my computer but iTunes just reverted back to iCloud. Any way to fix this?

I want to alternate between local backups and cloud backups so I do local backups during weekends and cloud backups during weekdays.

Otterbox ipad case

http://www.otterbox.com/new-ipad/new-ipad,default,pg.html

if I can afford it I might buy this for summer and autumn outdoors use

Don't do it!!!!!!! I just returned my OtterBox iPad case. The screen protector has a matte finish that destroys the resolution of the screen. They also have faulty magnets in the smart cover, so it doesn't actually turn the unit on and off like it is supposed to. I'd wait a couple months for them to improve it and then buy it if you still want it.

LCfiner

I just tried to backup to my computer but iTunes just reverted back to iCloud. Any way to fix this?

I want to alternate between local backups and cloud backups so I do local backups during weekends and cloud backups during weekdays.

You change this in iTunes. There's an option on the first page of the iPad screen when it's hooked up to the computer. You would have to change it manually at the beginning and end if the weekend.

Edit. I think you can skip that step above and just right click on the iPad icon in iTunes (in the source lost on the left) and select backup now. That should force a single backup to the computer and not iCloud.

DJ88

Jesus christ refrigerator. Your crappy jokes was sort of amusing at first, but talk about played out. Shit is just sad now.

If it wasn't obvious before that he's a troll, there shouldn't be any doubt left now after his last few posts.

kehs

Banned
You went little to verbose and technical there fridge, but for the most part I like the rhythm and cadence of the tale. Could use a little more reality based subtleties.

You should hit up the writing threads.

ElyrionX

After getting shafted on the iPad 1 (crappy 256MB RAM), I was kind of determined not to be fooled into buying another iPad again. But I saw that retina display in a store and it is too much to pass up.

Just ordered a black 64GB WiFi iPad. Hope this isn't a mistake. Safari had better not crash anymore when visiting gif or image heavy threads on GAF.

Anyone have any thoughts on Pages + Keynote + Numbers vs. QuickOffice Pro HD?

I'm trying to figure out which to recommend to my mother and I just don't know. It seems iWork's apps are just *better*, but QuickOffice Pro HD is almost as good...and comes with the significant bonus of working with DropBox and a number of other cloud services.

I feel like the later point is really important, as it will allow her to edit documents they make on their computer at their leisure by simply accessing their dropbox and opening the document on their pad, editing and saving. Whereas with iWork, it seems that you have to use iCloud (and dragging to and from a web browser) or e-mailing it to yourself (or connecting and dragging through itunes). That extra set of processes iWork forces by simply not working with Dropbox or similar universal and easy to use cloud software is making me really leery about recommending it to her.

Any advice?

Just ordered a black 64GB WiFi iPad. Hope this isn't a mistake. Safari had better not crash anymore when visiting gif or image heavy threads on GAF.
If it crashes, it won't be because of memory. That much is for sure.

LCfiner

one of the nicer bonuses is how Apple is finally officially recognizing retina assets for iPhone apps on the new screen. just testing out the iPhone version of Final fantasy tactics and it looks nice and sharp on the ipad at 2X. controls are obviously still made for the phone, but it workd well enough on the ipad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
After getting shafted on the iPad 1 (crappy 256MB RAM), I was kind of determined not to be fooled into buying another iPad again. But I saw that retina display in a store and it is too much to pass up.

It's approximately 1,000,000x better than iPad 1. You'll still get tabs reloading if you quit safari and play some games, but if you just switch out to check mail or do other lighter apps they usually stay cached. And during a safari session they normally stay cached unless you have a very heavy image page open. I've started throwing tabs open and leaving them there for later reference (eg threads on here that I'm tracking) and not having to worry about it.

Biggest upgrade for me - retina is just a bonus

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wtf?

anyhow. any other recommendation for good folio cases? some of you still might remember my love for (cheap) asian cases for my iDevices, which puts me in a bind now because we're still at that phase where they can't guarantee which of their cases have the correct polarity to unlock the new iPad screen. i was close to ordering several of them before i decided to simply wait.

i'm willing to spend up to $100 on a folio that looks presentable in a business environment. I'd prefer it if the case offers some type of easel functionality. any recommendations? thanks in advance.

also, once again. wtf??

Loving my maroo case. Nice looking leather, well put together.

LCfiner

I just loaded up that gaf thread on favorite laughing gifs. Loaded up the first three pages, all images loaded and, more importantly, when tapping the back and forward buttons a couple times, none of the images or pages had to reload.

Gifs still played slower than the desktop, but the ones that were only 1 or 2 mb played fast enough. Overall, a noticeable improvement over iPad 1 for gifs and heavy pages.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Using Safari is crazy to me because of how it doesnt tend to multitask as well as a browser like Atomic. I watch a lot of Giant Bomb videos, and often Airplay them to my tv, and like to continue browsing the internet, and occasionally play a move in Carcassonne or check the App store. I can do this in atomic but not Safari.

Husker86

Moment of awesome...bought the plex app since I already have a plex server with all my media of various formats. Bought the new apple tv. Airplayed from my ipad to the apple tv at 720p and looks incredible. Go me.On another note: Netflix in Canada has come a long way. Still not the greatest for new shows but still pretty good. A large assortment of hd content. Going to enjoy my free month.

That's cool, but I do that with just a Roku.

jts

...hate me...
Two days on, and, well, my MacBook Pro am cry. Coming from an iPad OG to this is nothing short of amazing. What a fucking serious laptop replacement with several benefits on top of it.

The only thing where I don't feel as comfortable is typing.

Also, what the fuck YouTube/music companies. The iPad is not a phone, let me see your fucking vids ffs.

Top Bottom