• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Two days on, and, well, my MacBook Pro am cry. Coming from an iPad OG to this is nothing short of amazing. What a fucking serious laptop replacement with several benefits on top of it.

The only thing where I don't feel as comfortable is typing.

have you considered a BT keyboard? or that keyboard thing that sits on the screen?

jts

...hate me...
have you considered a BT keyboard? or that keyboard thing that sits on the screen?

I'll probably get an Apple keyboard down the road, it'll be nice for this and for my Mac mini. At least for typing at home, carrying a keyboard with me at all times seems like a bit of of a hassle.

Enco

Two days on, and, well, my MacBook Pro am cry. Coming from an iPad OG to this is nothing short of amazing. What a fucking serious laptop replacement with several benefits on top of it.

Also, what the fuck YouTube/music companies. The iPad is not a phone, let me see your fucking vids ffs.
Agree with everything.

Haven't opened my MacBook Air since.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
one of the nicer bonuses is how Apple is finally officially recognizing retina assets for iPhone apps on the new screen. just testing out the iPhone version of Final fantasy tactics and it looks nice and sharp on the ipad at 2X. controls are obviously still made for the phone, but it workd well enough on the ipad.

Yeah, I have no reason to jailbreak now as RetinaPad was the only thing I used it for.

MasLegio

Banned
Any suggestion for a good word processing app that has support for dropbox (ie not Pages).

needs to have good functions for paragraph and character formatting and placement and formating the document overall, inlcuding various headlines and preset formats for various types of text. I want to be able to write a fully acceptably formated document in the app without having to complete it in MS Word on my computer.

Any suggestion for a good word processing app that has support for dropbox (ie not Pages).

needs to have good functions for paragraph and character formatting and placement and formating the document overall, inlcuding various headlines and preset formats for various types of text. I want to be able to write a fully acceptably formated document in the app without having to complete it in MS Word on my computer.

QuickOffice Pro HD.

MasLegio

Banned
QuickOffice Pro HD.

have you used it on the new iPad?

how does it handle .docx documents?

does it keep all formating properly?

I have DocsToGo premium but it does not look good format wise on my last document i wrot in word2010 and I need to be able to edit and view the document in a page view as well which docstogo does not do.

have you used it on the new iPad?

how does it handle .docx documents?

does it keep all formating properly?

I have DocsToGo premium but it does not look good format wise on my last document i wrot in word2010 and I need to be able to edit and view the document in a page view as well which docstogo does not do.

depends on how heavily formatted your document is.

I'm pretty sure you can get refunds for iPad apps if they don't work to the extent you need.

edit: http://www.labnol.org/software/itunes-app-store-refunds/13838/ <--yes, you can.

MercuryLS

Banned
I just loaded up that gaf thread on favorite laughing gifs. Loaded up the first three pages, all images loaded and, more importantly, when tapping the back and forward buttons a couple times, none of the images or pages had to reload.

Gifs still played slower than the desktop, but the ones that were only 1 or 2 mb played fast enough. Overall, a noticeable improvement over iPad 1 for gifs and heavy pages.

Yeah the difference is huge. I feel with this iPad apple has really hit a home run, this is what the iPad should have always been. The screen and ease of multitasking and we browsing withit reloads is fantastic. It reminds me of iPhone 4. Everything from now on will be incremental improvements.

mojiimbo

The Wired app was updated for retina but only the newest issue is supported so far. It's 500+ MB vs 300+ MB for the February low res issue. Hope they're able to implement a more efficient solution for text soon although I understand there'll always be some bloat due to all the multimedia features in there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got an update, they made wired magazine retina screen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
533mb.. The same issue was like 340ish before the update.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Can anyone post the script needed to unblock spoilers on the forum when using the iPad? I remember I made a spoiler button in my links folder back on my 1st iPad.

MasLegio

Banned
will probably buy Quick Office Pro
will not ask for refund for docstogo since I have been using it quite long anyway

any document scanner software you people use?

So I can scan (photo) several pages in a row and then save them into a multipage PDF

already have JotNot Pro and textgrabber for iPhone but it would be nice for something for the ipad as well.

looking into these
http://itunes.apple.com/se/app/doc-scan-hd-pro-pdf-document/id478871257?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/se/app/tablet-scanner-hd/id423971102?mt=8

It's for the new issue and future issues. It looks astounding.

I am having the problem where the pages appear very lo-res, and then update themselves to the retina graphics after about a second. It's kind of jarring because things look horrible, and then they suddenly look really nice. I really wish there was a way for them not to go from lo-res version at the high-rise version. Really, the Adobe publishing for these magazines sucks.

So what is the best app / way to stream content from my server to my ipad? (windows user here)
Also any good links yet to great wallpapers for the new ipad?

define "content".

If you mean, "just video" = AirVideo

If you mean, "music, photos, and pretty good video" = StreamToMe

imo. I've been using both for 3 years and they're both fantastic. StreamToMe doesn't do video quite as well as AirVideo, but it's solid and does a lot more than AirVideo.

define "content".

If you mean, "just video" = AirVideo

If you mean, "music, photos, and pretty good video" = StreamToMe

imo. I've been using both for 3 years and they're both fantastic. StreamToMe doesn't do video quite as well as AirVideo, but it's solid and does a lot more than AirVideo.
Yeah video, photos and music.

Ok I already had airvideo on my phone so I'll continue to use that and for the rest I'll try streamtome.

Does StreamToMe have a windows client?

Yeah video, photos and music.

Ok I already had airvideo on my phone so I'll continue to use that and for the rest I'll try streamtome.

Does StreamToMe have a windows client?

Yep. Been using it on my desktop pc to stream music, photos and videos for almost 3 years now. It can also be set up for remote access over 3G/4G or wifi away from home. Just requires some port forwarding and a static ip address or DNS service like no-ip.com.

Highly recommended.

Also, what the fuck YouTube/music companies. The iPad is not a phone, let me see your fucking vids ffs.

so much content is locked away from iPad youtube app, it's a joke

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My Mac is too slow for live conversion of 720p files with airvideo. :'[
Soo.... since now I have to queue up files to convert ahead of time anyway is there any reason I shouldn't just use Handbrake? HB always makes super quality conversions and was wondering if its better than the AirVideo streamer/converter app.

Quick

Banned

tYoQ2.gif

mojiimbo

My Mac is too slow for live conversion of 720p files with airvideo. :'[
Soo.... since now I have to queue up files to convert ahead of time anyway is there any reason I shouldn't just use Handbrake? HB always makes super quality conversions and was wondering if its better than the AirVideo streamer/converter app.
Assuming it's h264 video you might want to try something that will leave the video untouched and convert the audio and wrapper to something iPad friendly. It should take less time than transcoding the video again.

http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools/mp4toolshome.html

LCfiner

One thing that I just thought of is a thread like the ASOIAF tv show one, where there’s tagged spoilers for multiple books and you may want to view one that you know you’ve passed but not another one that you haven’t.

obviously this is a super specific use case but it happens often enough to me for me to stick with the mobile app and the simple tapping of spoilers to view.

VPhys

Is there any way to take full advantage of the resolution the screen offers when browsing the web. For example I want to see more of the webpage and do less scrolling, it appears though that the iPad makes the text bigger which kind of defeats the purpose having all those pixels.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming it's h264 video you might want to try something that will leave the video untouched and convert the audio and wrapper to something iPad friendly. It should take less time than transcoding the video again.

http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools/mp4toolshome.html

Hmm. This seems to work. It converts the video very quickly and all is fine when I play the video on my Mac. But when I go to open it in air video there is no audio. Any clue what could be cause this?

Tobor

One thing that I just thought of is a thread like the ASOIAF tv show one, where there’s tagged spoilers for multiple books and you may want to view one that you know you’ve passed but not another one that you haven’t.

obviously this is a super specific use case but it happens often enough to me for me to stick with the mobile app and the simple tapping of spoilers to view.

Yeah, that's the problem. It's all or nothing with that bookmarklet. The mobile app is still the way to go.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh so I fixed my problem. It has to remux the file before you convert it because it was encoded with headerless compression or something that I didn't understand. All is well. Looking at my conversion queue and feeling kind of weird about the fact that apparently I exclusively watch cartoons.

What is the painting app that appears at the end of the iPad commercial? After it shows iPhoto color saturation on the pink flower, someone is painting blades of grass.

Blackhead

Redarse
One thing that I just thought of is a thread like the ASOIAF tv show one, where there&#8217;s tagged spoilers for multiple books and you may want to view one that you know you&#8217;ve passed but not another one that you haven&#8217;t.

Yeah, that's the problem. It's all or nothing with that bookmarklet. The mobile app is still the way to go.
Pretty sure I've posted this one before... (so long ago I can't recall exactly where I found it)

iPhone/iPod touch spoiler bookmarklet

(NB: You can edit the javascript bookmarklet so the text is white not red)

DQ1Ei.png

Going back to an iPhone screen after some extended time with this feels hilarious.

I used to think the iPhone screen felt ginormous. Now it feels like something out of munchkin land.

Top Bottom