• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

noah111

Still Alive
Going back to an iPhone screen after some extended time with this feels hilarious.

I used to think the iPhone screen felt ginormous. Now it feels like something out of munchkin land.
Yeah, it's weird, isn't it? I also went without my iPad for a long time and just my phone, and going back to the iPad felt like "holy shit this thing is gigantic". Funny how the brain works..

Q: To those who have iPhones + an iPad, how do you see yourself juggling between the two on a daily basis? Do you use both frequently every day, or go through phases of extended use from one to the other.

Quick

Banned
Q: To those who have iPhones + an iPad, how do you see yourself juggling between the two on a daily basis? Do you use both frequently every day, or go through phases of extended use from one to the other.

I've been bringing my iPad along with me to work to use on my break, but my iPhone is still my primary device on-the-go.

I use my iPad a lot when I'm on my bed. Browsing GAF, reading books, games, etc. I used to do that with my iPhone/iPod Touch. I still use them whenever I'm too lazy to reach for my iPad or if I want to look something up quickly.

Heel

Through the magic (abuse) of viggle I have $30 of iTunes credit. Someone want to recommend me some must have apps?

Haha, how do you grind on Viggle? New to this thing. Can you check into shows that are going on at the same time and not watch any of it?

Yeah, it's weird, isn't it? I also went without my iPad for a long time and just my phone, and going back to the iPad felt like "holy shit this thing is gigantic". Funny how the brain works..

iPad stays home so it gets 90% of use while home, then out of home iPhone gets 100%. I also take my MacBook pro with me when I leave home a lot

For anyone dealing with EPUB books on their Mac and iPad, here are two nice quicklook and spotlight plugins to help you manage your collection.

https://github.com/jaketmp/ePub-quicklook/downloads

Download version 1.5 and epub books on your Mac should now show the cover image. Quicklook will bring up info such as this -

ZeOGH.png

I'm curious to know whether the heat issues with the new iPad have been isolated by users?

For example, does the wifi model get less warm than the 4G model, etc?

NYR

I'm curious to know whether the heat issues with the new iPad have been isolated by users?

For example, does the wifi model get less warm than the 4G model, etc?

There is no heat issue. The back gets warmer then the last iPad as you use it. Non-issue. Sensational journalism, it gets hits and thus, ad revenue.

hyp

: To those who have iPhones + an iPad, how do you see yourself juggling between the two on a daily basis? Do you use both frequently every day, or go through phases of extended use from one to the other.

my phone has essentially been relegated to calls and text messaging. that and the occasional game that isn't universal. I've pretty much got my iPad by my side all day when I'm at home.

hyp

There is no heat issue. The back gets warmer then the last iPad as you use it. Non-issue. Sensational journalism, it gets hits and thus, ad revenue.

I have to agree with you. My iPhone gets much hotter than my iPad 3 does. yes, it is warmer but it does not get hot at all. people are trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

KtSlime

WTF... I thought this new iPad shot videos in 1080p? How come all my videos are grainy?

No amount of pixels can make up for poor lighting conditions, the lens is small and will make it harder to get a good shot if the lighting isn't sufficient.

alvmew

I take both wherever I go and alternate use between the two pretty evenly. If I'm on the go or simply need to do some super quick web surfing or what have you, i mostly use my iPhone, whereas if I'm sitting down for a while [e.g., a break at work ] or at home, I exclusively use my iPad (excluding text messaging and phone calls of course).

Question for anyone using Atomic Browser.

I just downloaded it so that I could have access to Dropbox downloading and it's great. Seemingly faster and definitely more feature-filled than Safari or Dolphin.

BUT...for some reason, it fails to cooperate with the mobile version of ESPN.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/index?w=1blk&i=COM

Instead of showing that nice site, it just shows text...

...and no matter what desktop browser I spoof, it continues to show just text. I can click the "Desktop Version" link which sends you to the desktop version of the site which renders properly...but I rather like the iPad version of their website. If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know. I google searched and couldn't find anything.

edit: figured it out. I was trying out their built-in ad-blocking software and apparently something in there killed ESPN. Cheers.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Question for anyone using Atomic Browser.I just downloaded it so that I could have access to Dropbox downloading and it's great. Seemingly faster and definitely more feature-filled than Safari or Dolphin.BUT...for some reason, it fails to cooperate with the mobile version of ESPN. http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/index?w=1blk&i=COMInstead of showing that nice site, it just shows text......and no matter what desktop browser I spoof, it continues to show just text. I can click the "Desktop Version" link which sends you to the desktop version of the site which renders properly...but I rather like the iPad version of their website. If anyone knows of a solution, please let me know. I google searched and couldn't find anything.

Works fine for me.

Edit:using Default Safari Mobile

I have gotten that sort of setup before on various websites when there is some sort of connection problem during loading. Never consistently though.

will27

Anyone know a good place to sell and iPad 2 back in Australia? If I can get a good price I am strongly considering picking up the new iPad as I already do a lot of reading on my old one. However, my eyes always get sore....

see5harp

For anyone dealing with EPUB books on their Mac and iPad, here are two nice quicklook and spotlight plugins to help you manage your collection.

https://github.com/jaketmp/ePub-quicklook/downloads

Download version 1.5 and epub books on your Mac should now show the cover image. Quicklook will bring up info such as this - ]

I don't get the point of this. I just drag epubs into iTunes and I use whatever cover I want by pasting a jpeg into the cover art window. Is this if you want to manage epubs using finder?

Question for anyone using Atomic Browser.

I just downloaded it so that I could have access to Dropbox downloading and it's great. Seemingly faster and definitely more feature-filled than Safari or Dolphin.

BUT...for some reason, it fails to cooperate with the mobile version of ESPN.

edit: figured it out. I was trying out their built-in ad-blocking software and apparently something in there killed ESPN. Cheers.

Since I prefer surfing with adblocking on my tablet, I hunted down which adblock filters on Atomic Browser were causing the missing CSS and images.

Go into your settings and disable these filters -

http://*popup*.*/* - and -
http://*/ads/*

This will allow you to view ESPN once again. Ironically, most ads still appear blocked.

I don't get the point of this. I just drag epubs into iTunes and I use whatever cover I want by pasting a jpeg into the cover art window. Is this if you want to manage epubs using finder?
Yes, I don't allow iTunes to manage my media files and have organized them separately for years using a slate of programs. And it's pretty darn handy to view what an ePub is at a glance by looking at its icon.

MasLegio

Banned
Yeah, it's weird, isn't it? I also went without my iPad for a long time and just my phone, and going back to the iPad felt like "holy shit this thing is gigantic". Funny how the brain works..Q: To those who have iPhones + an iPad, how do you see yourself juggling between the two on a daily basis? Do you use both frequently every day, or go through phases of extended use from one to the other.

I use the ipad at home and at university. The iphone I use at work and while commuting and generally when I am mobile. Also i do not use the iPad for listening to music.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ipad is my home device. My phone is my away from home device.

Yeah, I can already tell that my iPad is pretty much never going to leave my bed.

RE: redundant devices...

It does feel odd having both an iPhone and an iPad. Thats why I hope the devices get differentiated in some way. It just feels like a waste of space to have both right now. IDK, I Could kind of see forgoing a cellphone completely in the future and just having the tablet.

Chao

We have 3 new ipads at the store where i work. They get fucking hot. I can't see myself holding that thing for more than 10 minutes in Sevillian summer. and that's just browsing

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
They must be defective, I'd get them replaced. I can play Netflix, Arkham city/Infinity blade, YouTubes as well as browsing and the most I can get is the temperature of a warm muffin.

Both me and my girlfriends iPad 3's become warm, personally it's not comfy, but after playing Infinity Blade it was not fun to be near the left side of the iPad since it was Macbook hot.

Kinda sad that it gets that hot since my previous OG iPad didn't have that issue.

see5harp

Yes, I don't allow iTunes to manage my media files and have organized them separately for years using a slate of programs. And it's pretty darn handy to view what an ePub is at a glance by looking at its icon.

What are the benefits of using a third party app to manage an ePub library? The damn things are so small I just usually sync them all.

Chao

They must be defective, I'd get them replaced. I can play Netflix, Arkham city/Infinity blade, YouTubes as well as browsing and the most I can get is the temperature of a warm muffin.

How's the weather where you live? It's spring right here, close to 30 degrees celsius.

japtor

What happened to the rumor MS Office for iPad? did that turn out to be bullshit?
If it exists, it's just not announced yet. The only thing that happened was the Daily guy reiterating he wasn't BSing and MS replying with a bunch of non denials.
I'll probably get an Apple keyboard down the road, it'll be nice for this and for my Mac mini. At least for typing at home, carrying a keyboard with me at all times seems like a bit of of a hassle.
It's kind of a pain to use with more than one thing at a time cause the way Bluetooth pairing works. For $10 more you could get two of the Amazon Basics keyboards though!

Bluetooth 4.0 supposedly has some automagic pairing thing (along with crazy battery life) so hopefully newer peripherals using that start coming out.
Yeah the difference is huge. I feel with this iPad apple has really hit a home run, this is what the iPad should have always been. The screen and ease of multitasking and we browsing withit reloads is fantastic. It reminds me of iPhone 4. Everything from now on will be incremental improvements.
It's good but still not fast enough, assuming they use A15s next year the performance increase should be significant (...the lack of any CPU bump was really annoying while working on some drawing projects this week).
I didn't say I would never leave my bed!
Good thing you can use the iPad in the bathroom!
What are you doing with them for them to get unbearably hot?
I noticed the backlight could get it pretty warm, that seems to be the cause more than anything (at least on mine). I could see display models getting quite toasty if the backlight is maxed out all day with the auto lock off regardless of what's running.

FreeChicken

Neo Member
I picked up my iPad on Friday and after a weekend of playing with it I have come to the conclusion this thing is just awesome. Going to need to get a bag/case so I can mobilise it!

MasLegio

Banned
Tried quickoffice pro and while it looks better than docs2co it has limited formatting options considering paragraphs as well.

Bought and downloaded docs2 and it seems to be the best choice for me. Has much better formating and layot options than the other much more expensive options at first glance.

Husker86

You can watch stuff on your tablet and when you want to shoot it to the TV, your tablet can tell Roku to continue playing where you left off on your tablet?

I can think of one case where I'd watch anything on my tablet at home and that is using the treadmill. And yes, Plex remembers where you were so it would resume right where I left off watching on any tablet.

In regards to the smart cover: Are they worth it? Does the leather one fall apart after a week or is it good enough quality to be useful as a everyday cover?

In regards to the smart cover: Are they worth it? Does the leather one fall apart after a week or is it good enough quality to be useful as a everyday cover?

I've had the leather Smart Cover for my iPad 2 since launch and it started to slightly separate twice on me. Both times I brought it into the Apple Store and they replaced it no questions asked.

Top Bottom