• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Am I the only one who prefers Pulse to Flipboard?

Probably not, but nothing beats Reeder for quick news reading, imo. I only use Flipboard for longer articles and reviews, because I like to flick though them. Scrolling long text is pretty boring. The auto-formatting could be better, though.

There is no heat issue. The back gets warmer then the last iPad as you use it. Non-issue. Sensational journalism, it gets hits and thus, ad revenue.

I have an iPad 2 and I've never felt it get warm enough that I could tell it had gotten warmer than my hand.

As you can see by the replies on the previous page, the iPad 3 certainly gets warmer than the previous models, and some would even call it uncomfortably so. I don't think it's sincere to suggest it's a complete non issue created by sites to get hits.

I'm just curious if the differences in opinion might be related to wifi vs 4G models.

Anyone else notice some serious light bloom when using the new camera?

Yep. I've also noticed serious blurring if anything is even remotely in motion.

There is no heat issue. The back gets warmer then the last iPad as you use it. Non-issue. Sensational journalism, it gets hits and thus, ad revenue.

It behaves exactly like the camera in the iPhone 4, because it's the same camera.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I understand the point of the otter box case I suppose, but man all the added bulk really seems to be overdoing it.

a coworker has a comparable griffin case. It looks ridiculous, it seriously adds a lot of bulk vertically and horizontally, it also has the screen protector. Another coworker that saw mine and his, said his with the screen protector ruins the display turning it rainbow colors and ruining the resolution. Original coworker said his justification was so that it looks like an android so he wont get quote "ripped off." The sad part is he is dead serious. I wanted to be like, dude, they fucking sold 3 million of them in the first weekend, everyone has a damn ipad. You also don't work at or live in the ghetto.

Yeah, I can already tell that my iPad is pretty much never going to leave my bed.

RE: redundant devices...

It does feel odd having both an iPhone and an iPad. Thats why I hope the devices get differentiated in some way. It just feels like a waste of space to have both right now. IDK, I Could kind of see forgoing a cellphone completely in the future and just having the tablet.

I feel the same way about redundant devices, this is my first time owning an iPad and when I have my iPhone next to me I feel in many way I do have this mini iPad next to me. They do need to set these devices further apart. It doesn't help the OS is exactly the same on both devices.

I feel the same way about redundant devices, this is my first time owning an iPad and when I have my iPhone next to me I feel in many way I do have this mini iPad next to me. They do need to set these devices further apart. It doesn't help the OS is exactly the same on both devices.

it's really no one's fault but yours.

Owning a Macbook Pro, an iPad and an iPhone is overkill galore.

Two of these can reasonably co-exist. All 3 of them? You must really love gadgets.

Two of these can reasonably co-exist. All 3 of them? You must really love gadgets.

Well... I do love gadgets, but owning a MacBook pro isn't an issue for me because what I need to do on that can't be done on a tablet

As far as the iPad/iPhone combo, to says it's my fault I feel this way is laughable, but then again you could be just joking and poking fun at the "apple can do no wrong" crowd

Enco

Don't see a problem with having a MacBook iPhone and iPad.

They all have their uses. The iPhone is a great phone, iPad great for fun and a laptop great for work on the move.

SeanR1221

I have an iPad, iPhone, Air and an iMac. They all have their uses and I wouldn't have it any other way.

TxdoHawk

That's a very, very generalized opinion. All three devices have points where they overlap in function, but depending on your usage and what you are willing to carry where, there are plenty of instances where owning all three could be reasonably justified. The iPhone is far more portable than the other two and can make cellular calls, the iPad is great for casual content consumption/certain kinds of light work, and OS X shines with superior multitasking (along with an actual full-featured OS you can do big boy work in).

Now, if you assume that the user only uses his MBP/iPad for light browsing and email, and theoretically is willing to carry all three devices around just about anywhere...then the argument holds merit. But I can't imagine there are a lot of people who have dropped $1k or more for a MBP + $500 or more for an iPad + $200 or more for an iPhone that use all three so casually (although I'm sure they exist.)

Well, what changes to the OS would you really like to see? I feel like the iPad is different enough purely because of the larger screen. The iPhone is obviously great because it's super portable. I can't imagine lugging my iPad with me on a daily basis. My phone is all I need on the go.

TxdoHawk

You also don't work at or live in the ghetto.

Can't speak for where you live, but in NYC there has been a lot of subway theft, and Apple products are a big target for obvious reasons. The fact that they are everywhere just means there are more targets and better resale values.

Of course, I'd say there are easier ways to hide your iPad than your friend's method...

noah111

Still Alive

Umm, not really. This is my current situation and i'm just fine with it. MBP is my 'heavy duty' device, used mostly as a desktop tbh, with the iPad/iPhone coexisting fine.

Obviously some things may be redundant, but it's all about knowing why you're using one of the devices and what you want to do exactly. Not quite overkill at all to own those three.

Did Refrigerator get his iPad changed?

Yes sir. I won't link to my misunderstood masterpiece, but I did exchange the iPad for a model with LTE and extra storage. I'm more pleased with the upgrade now that I have used the upgraded 4G connection.

Looking forward to my next business trip with this device.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
view askew

sarcasm detector broken.

Can't speak for where you live, but in NYC there has been a lot of subway theft, and Apple products are a big target for obvious reasons. The fact that they are everywhere just means there are more targets and better resale values.

Of course, I'd say there are easier ways to hide your iPad than your friend's method...

He lives in a suburb and works at a nice hospital. No public commute.

Well, what changes to the OS would you really like to see? I feel like the iPad is different enough purely because of the larger screen. The iPhone is obviously great because it's super portable. I can't imagine lugging my iPad with me on a daily basis. My phone is all I need on the go.

I also don't see myself taking my iPad with me anywhere except long flights (which I do 5-6 times an year). I really enjoy iPad centric apps and the use of the extra screen real-estate, but I want to see the iOS screen be more then jus a app shortcut screen, like the iPhone iOS screen. It's excusable on the iPhone because of the screen size but on a 9.7 inch screen for it to be just an app drawer is a waste.

Tobor

In regards to the smart cover: Are they worth it? Does the leather one fall apart after a week or is it good enough quality to be useful as a everyday cover?

I'm using the same leather smart cover I purchased at the iPad 2 launch. It still works great.

my ipad is now becoming as hot as my touch when playing games (over airplay), seems that if you play a graphical game over your apple tv the thing turns into a portable hot hob to cook your beans on, it's not nice :/

also a 20 minute airplay session with a top end game takes about 15% battery very quickly, kind of looking at 5 hours over airplay from full charge if not less...

my ipad is now becoming as hot as my touch when playing games (over airplay), seems that if you play a graphical game over your apple tv the thing turns into a portable hot hob to cook your beans on, it's not nice :/

also a 20 minute airplay session with a top end game takes about 15% battery very quickly, kind of looking at 5 hours over airplay from full charge if not less...
What games are you playing over Airplay? I'm just curious, since I don't have an iPad yet. I'd just imagine latency would be a bigger issue than the heat.

Tobor

What games are you playing over Airplay? I'm just curious, since I don't have an iPad yet. I'd just imagine latency would be a bigger issue than the heat.

It is. I tried Jetpack Joyride over AirPlay. Since it's only one button, you don't need to look at the iPad screen. It was unplayable due to lag.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So are any of you guys actually snapping photos with this thing?
I only used the camera on iPad for quick pics to create ebay listings with and other similar things.
When I get the new iPad, I'll use it for the same, plus GeniusScan to make quick PDFs of documents or notes as the quality looks to be better.

Phreaker

Q: To those who have iPhones + an iPad, how do you see yourself juggling between the two on a daily basis? Do you use both frequently every day, or go through phases of extended use from one to the other.

I use both daily. I have had an iPhone since 3G (now on 4) and an OG iPad (now on the new iPad). Once I got an iPad I found myself using my phone a bit less often. I don't take my iPad with me as often as I take my iPhone, so on the go I use my iPhone. However, if I want to play a game, surf the web, or watch a video I always use my iPad if I have it with me.

KtSlime

I also don't see myself taking my iPad with me anywhere except long flights (which I do 5-6 times an year). I really enjoy iPad centric apps and the use of the extra screen real-estate, but I want to see the iOS screen be more then jus a app shortcut screen, like the iPhone iOS screen. It's excusable on the iPhone because of the screen size but on a 9.7 inch screen for it to be just an app drawer is a waste.

Could you go into detail? What would you like to see instead of an app launcher? Personally I don't spend but a few seconds there. I'm pretty much always in an app, so its simplicity works for me.

Could you go into detail? What would you like to see instead of an app launcher? Personally I don't spend but a few seconds there. I'm pretty much always in an app, so its simplicity works for me.
It's true, they could make more interesting use of the space. The icons are so far apart compared to iPhone. If you had them as close together as iPhone, you could use half the screen for other things, like 'live tile' thing that Windows Phones have.

Tried quickoffice pro and while it looks better than docs2co it has limited formatting options considering paragraphs as well.

Bought and downloaded docs2 and it seems to be the best choice for me. Has much better formating and layot options than the other much more expensive options at first glance.

Interesting. Don't forget to return quick office!

Edit: were you referring to Documents To Go? I've heard very little positive about that app. Good luck with it!

Just simple widgets, I really should have have to open up apps to check simple things like weather, stocks, and headline news. I understand the battery issue, but that's why they should be optional

MasLegio

Banned
Interesting. Don't forget to return quick office!

Edit: were you referring to Documents To Go? I've heard very little positive about that app. Good luck with it!

Will probably keep quick-office. Does not take much space and I might have use for it in the future and it might update well.

Only thing that does not work properly or I have not figured out is how to do keyboard shortcuts with my wireless keyboard. I need that Ctrl-z.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gah, tempted to switch to the 64GB now after reading about about people running out of space so fast on their 16s. Hopefully the 32 will be enough since I plan on storing next to no videos, music, or pictures on it. But a ton of apps and PDFs though.

Emily Chu

Banned
I have a decent Gaming Desktop, a Laptop, a smartphone Gnex,

I'ved used a iPod touch 2G back in the day but sold it.

how much do I need this ?

About as much as you need a hole in your head.

The good news is that you can probably resell it for almost what you paid when you realize that yourself.

edit -

I have a gaming desktop, a laptop, a galaxy nexus, and a HP touchpad.. and I still use the ipad every day.

I like to use it for watching video podcasts while i'm doing other things on the computer.

LCfiner

How much (and where) do you use your laptop? how much do you use your desktop? which one do you prefer to use and for which tasks?

I have found myself using the ipad where I would have used my old laptops in the past. And I'm now using a desktop for the more complex computing tasks or when I really want a huge screen and more power. ipad is everywhere else.

for me, it was the laptop that had to go. but that's a going to be a very different scenario for everyone. so you gotta figure out if you really want or need both a laptop and desktop and how much power and flexibility you need from the portable device

Crovax33

I posted this on Reddit too, but I wanted to make sure nobody made the same mistake I did.

Warning: MASQUE screen protector by SPLASH for iPad 3 doesn't work as intended

I bought a 3 pack of these protectors from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006P4DGWO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It said specifically that it works for the New iPad. I'm here to tell you that it fits, but it doesn't work as expected (in case any of you were thinking about buying).

Once it's on it distorts the screen to make everything grainy. It kind of has this prismatic grain effect (prismatic in the same way that if you get a drop of water on a screen it will refract the light into different colors).

With the new Retina display this tends to destroy the clarity.

It was bad enough that I removed it and I'm trying to contact the retailer about a refund and getting their product description updated.

It doesn't appear that iPad 2 users are having the same issues (based on product reviews), but the Amazon reviews have been updated since I purchased and a few iPad 3 people have been having the same problems.

So anyone have an idea of a screen protector that WILL work without distorting the image?

MercuryLS

Banned
Gah, tempted to switch to the 64GB now after reading about about people running out of space so fast on their 16s. Hopefully the 32 will be enough since I plan on storing next to no videos, music, or pictures on it. But a ton of apps and PDFs though.

I think you'll be fine. I've got a ton of apps, music, photos, movies on mine and 32gb is more than enough. I had a 64gb iPad 2 and it was total overkill. Most apps will grow in size but many of the apps are already small in size, so the size increase won't seem as bad.

for me it was a laptop replacement, I sold my laptop and got one. So now I have a desktop, iPad and iPhone

I personally cant justify having a laptop AND iPad so it depends on what your needs are, if you are wanting something that is great for reading eBooks / web browsing / email / facebook and all that jazz then iPad wins. If you use your laptop for work or school then I couldnt see replacing it

I posted this on Reddit too, but I wanted to make sure nobody made the same mistake I did.

Warning: MASQUE screen protector by SPLASH for iPad 3 doesn't work as intended

I bought a 3 pack of these protectors from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006P4DGWO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It said specifically that it works for the New iPad. I'm here to tell you that it fits, but it doesn't work as expected (in case any of you were thinking about buying).

Once it's on it distorts the screen to make everything grainy. It kind of has this prismatic grain effect (prismatic in the same way that if you get a drop of water on a screen it will refract the light into different colors).

With the new Retina display this tends to destroy the clarity.

It was bad enough that I removed it and I'm trying to contact the retailer about a refund and getting their product description updated.

It doesn't appear that iPad 2 users are having the same issues (based on product reviews), but the Amazon reviews have been updated since I purchased and a few iPad 3 people have been having the same problems.

So anyone have an idea of a screen protector that WILL work without distorting the image?
anyone who buys a screen protector for an ipad should be publicly flogged.

that is all.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think you'll be fine. I've got a ton of apps, music, photos, movies on mine and 32gb is more than enough. I had a 64gb iPad 2 and it was total overkill. Most apps will grow in size but many of the apps are already small in size, so the size increase won't seem as bad.

Coo. It's not that I won't do any media on the iPad, it's just that I'll use cloud services like Pandora, last.fm, and Google Music for that. Absolute worst case I have my old iTouch which still has 90% of my music on it (just not the new stuff). I learned from my monster 64GB Touch that even the notion of storing any decent amount of video locally is absurd so I haven't been into that for years and thankfully with Netflix it's a bit less necessary. (Again, worst case my Touch has a couple of seasons of Office on it for flights and whatnot.)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The best news consumption apps I've found to date are Zite and Reeder, btw.

I've tried time and time again to get into Pulse and Flipboard and that column-view one...but the interfaces and content just don't match up to Zite and Reeder.

Zite for news being presented to me that I'm not necessarily looking for.
Reeder for RSS news that I'm specifically looking for.

Between the two of them I think I get all the news about everything and more in an incredibly efficient manner. Zite hasn't been updated for Retina just yet which pisses me off, but it doesn't look horrible. Text gets the automatic up-rezzing which is the main thing anyways.

Tobor

I wish Reeder would update to use standard RSS in addition to Google Reader. I'm trying to wean myself off of Google services, but Reeder is the best app.

Cheebo

Banned
It makes plenty of sense to have one if you lug one around all over or have kids. Gorilla Glass can still get scratch marks.

LCfiner

I wish Reeder would update to use standard RSS in addition to Google Reader. I'm trying to wean myself off of Google services, but Reeder is the best app.

I definitely want syncing but it looks like there's no real alternatives to google reader these days with proper app support across devices.

I'm actually surprised that no one has tries to create a google reader alternative service. Maybe itll take a few more years.

News gator and nnw used to have their service but that got replaced for google several years ago and nnw app development has been crazy slow or stagnant the last couple years.

I realize after owning this device for a few days that you need an mbp and an iPhone still if you are doing heavy duty work. When I go film I need the iPhone for messaging my crew, and the iPad for having a schedule on or show storyboards. This is because the iPad doesn't weigh too much and the screen gives enough visual clarity for the dp to know what I am going for. The mbp is really needed though for editing on the go, and a myriad of other heavy duty work.

If anything the iPad is a media carrying device and that's beneficial to me just for the screen alone. It won't replace any device for me which is ok, it does what it was design for. For people like my parents though, the iPad already has, so I guess this post-pc thing might apply to general population of consumer pc users. For me, Im fine with owning all 3.

Phreaker

We have 3 new ipads at the store where i work. They get fucking hot. I can't see myself holding that thing for more than 10 minutes in Sevillian summer. and that's just browsing

Are the on full brightness or something? I really haven't noticed my new iPad being any warmer than my OG iPad. Granted, when I'm using it I often have the smart cover opened and covering the back. My OG iPad was always in the Apple case so I never really felt it either.

Top Bottom