• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
what's the point of getting off Google's services anyhow? if you're against 'tracking,' create a dummy account to use only for your RSS feeds in Reeder and other apps. it takes all of 5 minutes to export your current Google Reeder feeds, create a new account, then import your settings back.

i'm hoping the explanation encompasses more than just a herp-derp anti-Google sentiment fostered through competition with Apple.

Blackhead

Redarse
Coo. It's not that I won't do any media on the iPad, it's just that I'll use cloud services like Pandora, last.fm, and Google Music for that. Absolute worst case I have my old iTouch which still has 90% of my music on it (just not the new stuff). I learned from my monster 64GB Touch that even the notion of storing any decent amount of video locally is absurd so I haven't been into that for years and thankfully with Netflix it's a bit less necessary. (Again, worst case my Touch has a couple of seasons of Office on it for flights and whatnot.)
I'm actually considering downgrading to 16GB. I have 17GB of apps on the iPad and no real justification for that. I'll never use iMovie on the iPad, for example. I'm going to prune it to just books, magazines and news. That's really all the device is good for, in my usage.
I definitely want syncing but it looks like there's no real alternatives to google reader these days with proper app support across devices.

I'm actually surprised that no one has tries to create a google reader alternative service. Maybe itll take a few more years.

News gator and nnw used to have their service but that got replaced for google several years ago and nnw app development has been crazy slow or stagnant the last couple years.
Fever? (TinyRSS?)

Soybean

Reeder requires you to swipe through articles one at a time, yes (or mark entire categories as read in one fell swoop)? I like River of News because it behaves like desktop Google Reader in that items get marked read as you scroll through. I usually skip most items based on the headline or a scan of the contents. Anyway, I love River of News, but the developer doesn't seem to update much, so I want to have a backup app that behaves similarly.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
In Reeder if you swipe from left to right on the article it marks it as read. Right to left stars it. When you're looking at the list of articles you can quickly mark certain ones you don't intend to read as read from there.

If I see repeat articles on the same subject I tend to mark them as read without digging into the details.

Blackhead

Redarse
Reeder requires you to swipe through articles one at a time, yes (or mark entire categories as read in one fell swoop)? I like River of News because it behaves like desktop Google Reader in that items get marked read as you scroll through. I usually skip most items based on the headline or a scan of the contents. Anyway, I love River of News, but the developer doesn't seem to update much, so I want to have a backup app that behaves similarly.

Yeah I love River of News too! It's in my dock. I wish there was an iPhone version and I wish he'd add the few missing features.

Hi guys, can anyone recommend me a good case that covers the back, can double as a stand and/or handle, and doesn't have a front cover (I don't like flipping stuff open to get at my devices, and I'll be putting a password on it so the smart unlock is useless to me)?

NYR

Can anyone here provide opinions on these?

120124_TECH_StylusApple.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

japtor

So are any of you guys actually snapping photos with this thing?
Does scanning count? I find it's a lot easier than on the iPhone just cause you can see the sharpness of text without having to zoom in to double check.
So anyone have an idea of a screen protector that WILL work without distorting the image?
Any matte one will make it look like shit. Best case is a clear one, and even that might have a slight rainbow effect, but it'll still be sharp at least.
Can anyone here provide opinions on these?
They're ok. It's the most precise (barring the external sensor ones) but it feels the least sensitive, like if I squiggled a line out with that and a nubby one, the nub would be fine while the Jot's might have some breaks in the line. Pressing harder gets around that but it's kind of annoying, supposedly jamming in some aluminum foil helps (to keep the conductive tip in contact with the ball point).

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Agreed.

Don't see the need. They're awkward to carry around and just aren't necessary. At least for me and my normal sized fingers.

Sometimes i want to jot something down by hand in notability or something. Using my finger just seems awkward.

Heel

Don't see the need. They're awkward to carry around and just aren't necessary. At least for me and my normal sized fingers.

I'd probably pick one up a cheap one for drawing and notetaking apps (SketchBook, Draw Something, that kinda thing), not for day-to-day use with iOS.

Husker86

I bought it to reduce smudges.

And if everyone else was as genius as you apparently are, there'd be no market for them.

Any anti-glare screen protector is going go have the effect. If you don't want it to mess with colors, you need a smooth/gloss protector.

Struct09

I do :( It would come in handy for work.

They're ok. It's the most precise (barring the external sensor ones) but it feels the least sensitive, like if I squiggled a line out with that and a nubby one, the nub would be fine while the Jot's might have some breaks in the line. Pressing harder gets around that but it's kind of annoying, supposedly jamming in some aluminum foil helps (to keep the conductive tip in contact with the ball point).

Thanks. They're cheap, so if they're not absolute crap I may give one a try.

I just scroll through the huge list of all unread items, tap and read the articles I'm interested in and then hit the "Mark all as read" button when I'm done. That's why I love the simple yet awesome interface. Really can't see how it could be quicker.

e: Skype finally got a retina update.

kr2t0s

This all or nothing attitude with the stylus needs to end. I'm glad apple ditched a stylus in the beginning because it got us to where we are now.

But to suggest that a stylus would not be good for taking notes or drawing is ridiculous.

The adonit jot is really good for note taking.

georgc

Hey guys I have a smart cover and I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem, when I hold my iPad upside down the smart cover doesn't hold itself on very well and it falls right off is this normal for a Smart cover to do this thanks?

japtor

I do :( It would come in handy for work.

Thanks. They're cheap, so if they're not absolute crap I may give one a try.
Yeah for $12 or whatever that is I say give it a shot. It'll just make you yearn even more for a Wacom stylus. It's decent but still not good enough, and I'm not even counting any pressure sensitivity. The accuracy is better than others but it's still not enough.

MasLegio

Banned

I also used River of News, until i found Feeddler Pro. More efficient interface and is a universal app.

http://appshopper.com/news/feeddler-rss-reader-pro

though it as well has not been updated in a while.

Flo_Evans

Hey guys I have a smart cover and I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem, when I hold my iPad upside down the smart cover doesn't hold itself on very well and it falls right off is this normal for a Smart cover to do this thanks?

No, I don't think its on there right.

japtor

Yeah when the Smart Cover is attached right the magnet hold is strong enough to (precariously) hold the weight of the iPad.

I think it depends on what you mean it falls off. If you mean the flap on the right side doesn't stay closed when you hold the iPad upside down, that's not all that uncommon. Generally it should still stay closed when upside down, but some smart covers aren't as strong as others. If you mean the whole thing falls off (i.e. both magnetic sides of the smart cover are failing when the ipad is held upside down), then there is definitely something wrong. The flap side magnet isn't super strong, but the joint side should hold firm.

georgc

I think it depends on what you mean it falls off. If you mean the flap on the right side doesn't stay closed when you hold the iPad upside down, that's not all that uncommon. Generally it should still stay closed when upside down, but some smart covers aren't as strong as others. If you mean the whole thing falls off (i.e. both magnetic sides of the smart cover are failing when the ipad is held upside down), then there is definitely something wrong. The flap side magnet isn't super strong, but the joint side should hold firm.

Yeah it's the flipside. The joint side stats on fine. I was wondering if there was a place that i could but some magnets to where I could augment my smart cover. Also my rear plastic case that works well with my smart cover has a smooth finish is there a way to make it so that there is like some kind of friction?

HOLYSHIT. my new ipad is overheating? When I took it out of its case today; it is freaking warm.

I keep touching it expect it to cool down but its still warm.

just powered it off.

Deadstar

I've been reading that these things run hotter than the ipad 2. That's probably all it is. Will apple create new revisions of the ipad or do you think we'll have to wait till the next one?

My ipad's always seems to stay cool to the touch, even after extensively playing ABSpace on it, with or without the case on. Screen is at the exact same level as my 4S is (warm colors but white seems a touch blue at times though mostly it's warm).

Kinda sucks that there're either problems with the screen or some ipads that are running hot but again, things are bound to happen during large-scale manufacturing.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Mine doesn't run noticeably hot at all. But maybe this is just be coming from Macbookpros that would make you sterile if placed on your lap for too long. :p

I still think that most of these people who think the ipad is getting too hot have no concept what heat actually is.

Yes, it gets slightly warmer than the previous model.. but it is nowhere near being uncomfortable to hold, imo.

Hot is a macbook pro.. there is a reason apple doesn't call it a laptop.. my transformer prime also got warm after I played a game for a while on it..

I think it's more that the previous ipad models were unnaturally cool.

Sarye

Yeah it's the flipside. The joint side stats on fine. I was wondering if there was a place that i could but some magnets to where I could augment my smart cover. Also my rear plastic case that works well with my smart cover has a smooth finish is there a way to make it so that there is like some kind of friction?

Do you have an official smart cover? Or did you buy from amazon? I heard issues with the magnets not strong enough for 3rd party covers on iPad 3's

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Do you have an official smart cover? Or did you buy from amazon? I heard issues with the magnets not strong enough for 3rd party covers on iPad 3's

It's not so much a strength issue as much as it is a polarity issue. With the iPad 3, Apple decided to make the polarity on the iPads themselves matter… which is new and why some random smart cover like cases don't work right.

I think people who complain about the heat are because their iPads are getting hot. But that's just me.

yup. I own a ipad1+2. and they were always cool to touch. Once I shut it off; it cooled off even when charging. Who knows what is going on with it.

It was quite warm; not HOT. but quite.

Got my ipad earlier than expected yay! 32gb black wifi. I must say, the iphone home screen looks so cluttered now lol. I'm in love with this thing, and it's been an hour.

NYR

I think people who complain about the heat are because their iPads are getting hot. But that's just me.
They are free to return them if they are worried about them holding up. Apple says it's a non-issue, they stand behind their products and all iPads come with a warranty against hardware defects, so you are covered.

The very computer I am typing on states my GPU is at 48 degrees Celsius, my hard drive is @ 36 degrees, and my CPU @ 37 degrees. Sounds high if you were touch it constantly, but it is all normal and within operating temps for a computer. I don't understand why people expect a high power tablet with the most advanced screen ever to run absolutely cool with no on-board fan. It's a trade off - if you are worried about the heat, don't buy cutting edge technology.

K701

Banned
So I got my iPad from Best Buy today, 32 gig LTE. And I was wondering if I should just return it and get the 64 one since its only 100 more and with taxes I already spent a crapload.

What does gaf think? Anyone here with a 32 think they'll need a 64?

PS my iPad 2 was 32... But with high def content coming I don't know...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't like my devices getting hot even if it's not uncomfortable it just bothers me. Not going to cancel my iPad order over it but I think you guys are being a little bit overly defensive here.

I don't like my devices getting hot even if it's not uncomfortable it just bothers me. Not going to cancel my iPad order over it but I think you guys are being a little bit overly defensive here.

If an iPad is too hot it will shut itself down. It can get warm under the right conditions. It can overheat and shut itself down in the right conditions too.

If that fact bothers you, cancel it now. There will be times when it is very noticeably warm and nothing is wrong. It's just the reality.

Top Bottom