• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

KtSlime

When it is 'hot' isn't it only around 95-100 degrees? That's like the temperature of a person. Seems like it would be rather comfortable.

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't like my devices getting hot even if it's not uncomfortable it just bothers me. Not going to cancel my iPad order over it but I think you guys are being a little bit overly defensive here.

It got pretty warm a few times, but for the most part it runs cool/very very lightly warm. It really depends on what you're doing, if you're playing an intensive game it will get hot. If your screen is set to full blast, it will get hotter than usual (at least that's what I found). best thing to do is to get one and test it yourself, you've got 2 weeks to make up your mind on it.

When it is 'hot' isn't it only around 95-100 degrees? That's like the temperature of a person. Seems like it would be rather comfortable.

It's never been uncomfortable and I've definitely felt it in "high heat" mode. It's just warm and noticeable. It's not uncomfortable unless having something warm in your hands is uncomfortable.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If I sent a phone/laptop/whatever back every time something like that annoyed me I wouldn't have any devices. Won't stop me from noting it though just because people are being overly defensive. Believe it or not there is a magical place between Apple does everything right and I will never use an Apple device ever. I know that's hard to imagine on GAF.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If I sent a phone/laptop/whatever back every time something like that annoyed me I wouldn't have any devices. Won't stop me from noting it though just because people are being overly defensive. Believe it or not there is a magical place between Apple does everything right and I will never use an Apple device ever. I know that's hard to imagine on GAF.

Don't you know that Apple can do no wrong on these forums?

LCfiner

there’s room in the middle.

the reason why this iPad temperature complaint is so baffling to me is that it doesn’t even get as hot as the iPhone 4 (and 4S) and no one gave a shit about the temperature from that phone.

it gets noticeably warmer than older iPads but not enough to be uncomfortable to hold and not as hot as other handheld Apple products, even.

cnizzle06

Banned
Guys, apple says the warmth is okay now everyone shut their goddamn mouths. If anything, you guys have no concept of heat. I hold fire everyday; I would know best.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
there’s room in the middle.
Not on here there isn't.

Fact: the new iPad gets hotter than the old ones.

Yet somehow people on this forum keep dismissing it as a nonissue. Is a dealbreaker? Not to me, no. But is it true? Yes, absolutely. There's no need to go back-and-forth about whether it matters. It's a fact and whether it matters depends on the person. There's no need to carry a flag in a crusade for Apple. The facts are the facts.

The way some people on here post ... "If you don't love it, go return it, you heathen! It's love it all or it's go fuck yourself!"

LCfiner

Not on here there isn't.

Fact: the new iPad gets hotter than the old ones.

Yet somehow people on this forum keep dismissing it as a nonissue. Is a dealbreaker? Not to me, no. But is it true? Yes, absolutely. There's no need to go back-and-forth about whether it matters. It's a fact and whether it matters depends on the person. There's no need to carry a flag in a crusade for Apple. The facts are the facts.

The way some people on here post ... "If you don't love it, go return it, you heathen! It's love it all or it's go fuck yourself!"

where are the posts denying that it gets warm? who is saying this? similarly, the posts I see from people who own it are about the same as the ones posted on this very page. basically, yeah, it gets a bit warm, it’s not an issue when using it.

the ridiculousness is the attempt of the tech press to turn this into an issue and write a bunch of stories about it. it’s stupid.

SeanR1221

My wingstand came in. I'm using it now with the Apple keyboard.

At first I was surprised it was just two little pieces. When I thought about it, I actually liked this, because I can always throw it in my bag and easily take it with me to a coffee shop. This will definitely make my iPad look sharp on my desk,

where are the posts denying that it gets warm? who is saying this? similarly, the posts I see from people who own it are about the same as the ones posted on this very page. basically, yeah, it gets a bit warm, it’s not an issue when using it.

the ridiculousness is the attempt of the tech press to turn this into an issue and write a bunch of stories about it. it’s stupid.

So they shouldn't even be mentioning it gets noticeably warmer than the previous two versions of this device? Please.

I fell in love with the iPad and iPad 2 precisely because it was the anti laptop. It didn't get hot, or even warm. It had no fan. It made NO noise. For me it was the perfect combination of power, without any of those negatives that I don't like about laptops.

Now we get the third version of the iPad and it's getting warm, and some would even say almost hot. THAT is the problem, for some people. It pretty much rules out an iPad 3 purchase for me. I was already considering waiting til next year's revision, but this just made my decision for me. I really hope Apple finds a way to make sure next year's model doesn't behave the same way, because it's just taking another step back in the direction of laptops.

Sean

Banned
I'm looking to use my iPad as a second display (alongside my computer monitor). I want a stand or dock that lets me:
1) Use it with the smart cover on
2) Have the iPad plugged into the dock connector cable

Any suggestions? So far I found this but it's kind of pricey at $60 http://www.thewallee.com/products/pivot

dream

So they shouldn't even be mentioning it gets noticeably warmer than the previous two versions of this device? Please.

I fell in love with the iPad and iPad 2 precisely because it was the anti laptop. It didn't get hot, or even warm. It had no fan. It made NO noise. For me it was the perfect combination of power, without any of those negatives that I don't like about laptops.

Now we get the third version of the iPad and it's getting warm, and some would even say almost hot. THAT is the problem, for some people. It pretty much rules out an iPad 3 purchase for me. I was already considering waiting til next year's revision, but this just made my decision for me. I really hope Apple finds a way to make sure next year's model doesn't behave the same way, because it's just taking another step back in the direction of laptops.

I think that's the problem LCFiner is having with this. iPad doesn't even approach laptop temps, but, through no fault of your own, that's what you're comparing it to because most of the stories about this have been shoddy enough to lead you to that conclusion.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Have you actually demo-ed an iPad 3 to corroborate these reports to see if it gets "unacceptably hot" for you though? Its weird when people post and it sounds like they don't even have any first hand experience with the product. They have that 14 day return period no-risk/no re-stocking fee policy.

If an iPad is too hot it will shut itself down. It can get warm under the right conditions. It can overheat and shut itself down in the right conditions too.

If that fact bothers you, cancel it now. There will be times when it is very noticeably warm and nothing is wrong. It's just the reality.

They are free to return them if they are worried about them holding up. Apple says it's a non-issue, they stand behind their products and all iPads come with a warranty against hardware defects, so you are covered.

The very computer I am typing on states my GPU is at 48 degrees Celsius, my hard drive is @ 36 degrees, and my CPU @ 37 degrees. Sounds high if you were touch it constantly, but it is all normal and within operating temps for a computer. I don't understand why people expect a high power tablet with the most advanced screen ever to run absolutely cool with no on-board fan. It's a trade off - if you are worried about the heat, don't buy cutting edge technology.

both these are idiotic posts.

Tobor

Non-issue confirmed:

PC World said:
Our results are likely to be reassuring to any potential iPad purchasers. Though the new iPad did run hotter than the iPad 2, the difference wasn’t great. And in repeated lab tests of the new iPad, we could not replicate the disturbingly high temperatures that some sources have reported. More important, the new iPad was not dramatically warmer than either the Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime or the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE, even though its battery has a substantially higher milliampere-per-hour (mAh) rating than theirs do (11666mAh for the new iPad, versus 7000mAh for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and 6930mAh for the Transformer Prime).

http://www.macworld.com/article/116...eat_levels_comparable_to_android_tablets.html

Soybean

I just scroll through the huge list of all unread items, tap and read the articles I'm interested in and then hit the "Mark all as read" button when I'm done. That's why I love the simple yet awesome interface. Really can't see how it could be quicker.

e: Skype finally got a retina update.

This still seems annoying. What if you don't have time to go through all those items? Marking a list partially read seems problematic. Thanks for the info, though!

I also used River of News, until i found Feeddler Pro. More efficient interface and is a universal app.

http://appshopper.com/news/feeddler-rss-reader-pro

though it as well has not been updated in a while.
Thanks! This also appears to let me mark stuff older than a day as read. Beautiful.

[edit] Bleh. Still some annoyances. I'll mark all loaded as read, but it doesn't automatically load the next set. Still prefer the infinite scrolling of River of News and the Google Reader website. Thanks anyway. If River of News ever stops working I'll cross that bridge then.

dream

Wired ran some tests too:

Not only was the new iPad merely tepid in terms of heat generation, it was also one of the cooler-running tablets in our test. But let’s take Consumer Reports’ 116 degree reading at face value. It may cause sweaty hands, but is it any danger to consumers?

Dr. Jeffery DeWeese works at the Bothin Burn Unit at St. Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco. He told us 116 degrees “shouldn’t be of any concern” for the average adult, and the temperature “isn’t going to burn anyone on contact.”

In the end, the new iPad wasn’t the hottest-running tablet, nor was it coolest. It landed square in the middle of a heat test that involved a variety of devices running the same app in real-world conditions. Computers, tablets, smartphones — they all get warm when pushed to the limit.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/03/new-ipad-versus-5-tablet-competitors-which-runs-hottest/

Tobor

Non-issue to you. Let's get this straight. It may not matter to you or me but it may matter to some people. How is that hard to understand?

Literally the first time I have heard Apple fans compare the iPad to Android tablets in a good way.

I didn't compare them, PC World did. I can compare it to my iPhone 4, which runs far hotter than the new iPad.

The only time mine gets warm, to the touch is when playing air supremacy. /shrug

Mine gets warm when I have the AV dongle connected and I'm feeding a video to my television while leaving the screen on, and plugged into the charger.

Non-issue to you. Let's get this straight. It may not matter to you or me but it may matter to some people. How is that hard to understand?
it's not. but what are we going to do about it? most tablets can warm up when working hard. it's the nature of the product category.

my Touchpad gets warm too. So does my OG iPad1. so does my iPhone.

Bboy AJ

I didn't compare them, PC World did. I can compare it to my iPhone 4, which runs far hotter than the new iPad.

I know you didn't. I just think it's funny that Android tablets are the new standard for tablets in some measure. It's been said by a few Apple fans in this thread.

Tobor

I know you didn't. I just think it's funny that Android tablets are the new standard for tablets in some measure.

Haha, true. They had to measure them against something, I suppose.

Next article: "The iPad versus kittens and puppies, which runs hotter?"

Mitama

It's pretty much a non-issue. I don't see anyone returning their iPad over this. Hell, my laptop gets hot and it rests on my lap all the time but I'd never think of complaining about it.

No_Style

So is Edge Magazine Retina enabled? I know it varies by magazine. I'm hoping Edge is one of them.

Also my MacBook 11" 2011 gets a whole lot warmer than this iPad.

numble

I know you didn't. I just think it's funny that Android tablets are the new standard for tablets in some measure. It's been said by a few Apple fans in this thread.

Anandtech seems to compare Android and iOS devices all the time. I have no idea why they use that as a standard.

I think that's the problem LCFiner is having with this. iPad doesn't even approach laptop temps, but, through no fault of your own, that's what you're comparing it to because most of the stories about this have been shoddy enough to lead you to that conclusion.

No, I was not comparing it's heat output to a laptop. I simply stated that what I loved about the first two iPad's was that they didn't even get warm, and that was the complete opposite of a laptop, and I loved that about them.

Have you actually demo-ed an iPad 3 to corroborate these reports to see if it gets "unacceptably hot" for you though? Its weird when people post and it sounds like they don't even have any first hand experience with the product. They have that 14 day return period no-risk/no re-stocking fee policy.

It doesn't have to get unacceptably hot for me to to bothered though. I thought I made that pretty clear. Even warm is unacceptable to me. That is what I love about my iPad 2. It doesn't even get warm.

So it doesn't get hot enough to harm an adult? Okay. I don't think anyone was suggesting as much, but the fact that the iPad is now "middle of the pack" when it comes to heat output is the problem for some of us.

No matter how you slice this, the new iPad gets warmer than any previous iPad. THAT is the concern being expressed by people such as myself.

Alex

It gets warmer than the 2 for sure, the 2 never even changed in temp at all from my experience. Everyone has their little vices but for me it's probably at the bottom of my complaints or desires for a fix, personally.

one of the nicer bonuses is how Apple is finally officially recognizing retina assets for iPhone apps on the new screen. just testing out the iPhone version of Final fantasy tactics and it looks nice and sharp on the ipad at 2X. controls are obviously still made for the phone, but it workd well enough on the ipad.

Really? Is this for the new ipad only or do iPad 2 owners also get some love?

(I'm currently holding my ipad2 at 5.0.1, specially because of retina pad, so i can't check myself XD)

jts

...hate me...
Are there ever book sales on the App Store? Not too enthused at having to pay 11 bucks for essentially a PDF file.
Just create a blank PDF file for free. That essentially what you think you get out of a book, and it costs 100% less. Major savings right there.

VPhys

Are there any good docks or radios/alarm clocks/ stations for the iPad?

Reviews seem to be all over the place and what's even worse is Apple's own dock seems to have some of the worst reviews of all. Charging the iPad with the included cable just seems so... Not iPad like. I hate having the charging cable dangling around and putting it into the bottom of the iPad is just cumbersome, I would prefer something neater or ultimately Id like to be able to just click my iPad into something.

VPhys

In fact now that I think of it I know exactly what I want. The iPad is such a refined device it should have inductive charging, but alas Apple did not build this into the product. Its really a shame my six year old palm pre had this feature.

Vyer

This is as bad as the two extremes Astrolad is talking about.

It does get warmer than a previous iPad. If that's a dealbreaker for whatever reason, it is what it is. The issue people have is the "OMG It gets 115 degrees hotter!" blog headlines and having people ask you about the 'heat issue' and the usual dog and pony show that probably causes a few eye rolls. You don't have to be an Apple fanboy to see the ridiculousness of it all.

Top Bottom