• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Shipped!
The red smart cover, has...

Someone I know just ordered a white 32GB and had it engraved:

"Apple iPad"

Idiot.

IFXD1.png

centracore

For any Canadians (such as myself), here is a map I found on Apple's site explaining the March 16-20 delivery window.

Pymqy.png

Towser

Neo Member
So I will be buying one of these primarily as a portable Comic Book reader. Wondering which in your opinions is the best app to use for viewing .cbr files?

Thanks in advance!

centracore

From what I've been reading around the Internet, it sounds like people who had their iPad engraved have statuses of 'Preparing for Shipment' or 'Shipped' while everyone else has statuses of 'Processing Items'.

ok So I changed my order from 16 gb wifi to 32 gb wifi after noticing that my 16 gb phone which has NO music or video has only 2 gb left

TheContact

ok So I changed my order from 16 gb wifi to 32 gb wifi after noticing that my 16 gb phone which has NO music or video has only 2 gb left

You can't fit crap on a 16gb. I have a 32gb iPhone and I'm still finding myself deleting videos and apps because I'm running out of room. I even deleted 90% of my music and just threw on the most common songs I listen to because of space issues. I really need the 64gb model.

georgc

What's the cheapest I can get this goflef for? So I have to get the satelite version? That's like 200 right?

snack

I hope the new iPad will be able to play my HD TV show rips without an issue. They lagged consistently on my iPad 2 (running AVPlayerHD).

zychi

Banned
You can't fit crap on a 16gb. I have a 32gb iPhone and I'm still finding myself deleting videos and apps because I'm running out of room. I even deleted 90% of my music and just threw on the most common songs I listen to because of space issues. I really need the 64gb model.

You need to educate yourself on streaming software like plex. I have two albums on my iphone everything else can be accesses as long as i have a signal. Which is always because i never go camping or hiking or 100 feet underground.

tokkun

It's a traditional USB hard drive that I can connect to my Mac and other PC's. The GoFlex as mentioned above. It works great. Full functioning external HD. Basically turns your iPad into a device with 500 GB if you have it with you. Pretty handy since its wireless.

Yeah, that's the product I was talking about when I said it was a NAS rather than a simple USB hard drive. It functions as a wireless access point and has a web interface. But the downside of course is the price. It costs twice as much as the external HD I bought last year and has a quarter of the storage space. So I'd be paying 8x as much per gigabyte. So I still don't understand why there hasn't been more interest to develop support for generic USB storage devices on jailbroken iPads.

You need to educate yourself on streaming software like plex. I have two albums on my iphone everything else can be accesses as long as i have a signal. Which is always because i never go camping or hiking or 100 feet underground.

Isn't that a pretty big drain on your data plan if you don't have a Wifi connection?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going 16gigs and don't foresee any problem. I have a 64gig phone that is mostly full. On the phone you really do need the media on the device.

For the iPad though, I can't imagine what you'd store locally. Photostream is the only thing I can think of. Any video content I watch will be streamed.

If you're a huge iOS gamer I could see 16gigs getting in the way, but for my uses I don't expect to have any issues.

Quake1028

Just found out I'm getting about a $325.00 unexpected bonus from work next week. That money, along with the money I got from selling my iPad 2 = no money out of pocket for me even with the upgrade to 32GB this time around. Nice.

Dropbox is the future.

well yeah thats a option.... but what if the internet is down or I am somewhere with no internet at all.

If I could just plug it into a pc or USB drive and copy/paste word doc's over without syncing through iTunes it would make the iPad a genuine replacement for a work laptop for me.

I have a iPod touch. I might mess around with jailbreak stuff and see what options are available before I decide if I should pick a ipad up.

LCfiner

I'm going 16gigs and don't foresee any problem. I have a 64gig phone that is mostly full. On the phone you really do need the media on the device.

For the iPad though, I can't imagine what you'd store locally. Photostream is the only thing I can think of. Any video content I watch will be streamed.

If you're a huge iOS gamer I could see 16gigs getting in the way, but for my uses I don't expect to have any issues.

well, it's different for everyone. I thought I'd be good with 16 GB this past year since I don't use a lot of heavy apps but I struggled because comics and newsstand apps eat up a lot of space.

if you're not going to use the ipad for that stuff (or movies or big games) then, yes, 16 GB is enough.

but since there's so many different use cases, 16 GB can get filled up surprisingly quickly.

mrkgoo

Is the other thread locked? I was kinda enjoying not having this thread bombarded with 'hey, look, I ordered the NEW ipad, it's processing, hey, is anyone's else's processing, i got a white one, should I get engraving?'.

Bah. I'm just bitter because I can't afford one.

Dragon

Banned
Is the other thread locked? I was kinda enjoying not having this thread bombarded with 'hey, look, I ordered the NEW ipad, it's processing, hey, is anyone's else's processing, i got a white one, should I get engraving?'.

Bah. I'm just bitter because I can't afford one.

There are always sperm banks bro.

peetfeet

I've done some wallpapers cropped down from some Pics i have on my PC, would they be okay to put in this thread if anyone wants them?

jts

...hate me...
My name Ping Fong. I trapped in
srave factory. Send herp prease!

I'm Asian, so it's okay to be casually racist. (I'm GTI Guy's friend who he referred to earlier).
omfg hahahah
I'm not asian, is it racist if I raugh?

AiTM

Banned
Racist jokes will always be funny because we arent supposed to laugh at them. Same reason dirty sex is so damn HOT (with Asians)

iPad still preparing for shipment....

How much RAM does it have and why isn't it quad core CPU?

1GB and we aren't the hardware development team, so we can't answer you last question. It's quad-core GPU, though. Realistic answer is that it's just not needed at this point, with the bump in GPU being a greater need for the retina display.

peetfeet

Here's a couple of cropped pics for backgrounds if anyone wants them. I have done a handful more but dont want to take over the page. Click for link to full size.

J Alba

Klyuchevskaya Sopka (Russian Volcano errupting)

see5harp

For you guys with delivery date shipping, do you know if they require a signature? If so, I'll have to take the day off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bah fuck I should have stuck with the 16GB. But it's probably still okay given that apps and whatnot will drive me near the limit. The cool thing about that hdd is that it should work with everything. It's effectively a portable cloud that doesn't require an internet connection.

its also $200 for a 500GB portable drive. thats insane.

Pagusas

Elden Member
For you guys with delivery date shipping, do you know if they require a signature? If so, I'll have to take the day off.

it does, I have mine shipping to my place of work, the secretary will sign for it and ill take it home on my lunch break.

You can pre-sign for it by filling out a form available on the order tracking page. You leave the letter on your door, and they'll leave it.

The link won't show up until your item ships.

mj1108

Once it ships you will be able to print out a paper for the delivery driver off Apple's site that you sign and leave on your door.

You can pre-sign for it by filling out a form available on the order tracking page. You leave the letter on your door, and they'll leave it.

The link won't show up until your item ships.

Bah I am nervous about 600+ dollars sitting on the doorstep. Though to be fair I have shipped hundreds of dollars over the years and not had a single thing stolen. Only thing is thieves will likely know iPads are arriving next Friday.

Just preordered mines. 32GB wifi in black. can't wait! I'm upgrading from a 16GB 1st gen ipad. Sold it on craigslist for $225. Had some minor scratches on the screen.

My engraving on the back is "Every Man Dies. Not Every Man Really Lives." =)

3N16MA

Banned
Just preordered mines. 32GB wifi in black. can't wait! I'm upgrading from a 16GB 1st gen ipad. Sold it on craigslist for $225. Had some minor scratches on the screen.

My engraving on the back is "Every Man Dies. Not Every Man Really Lives." =)

Do you plan on selling this iPad in the future?

Top Bottom