• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

noah111

Still Alive
If you're talking about storing videos and not streaming, Flex Player is great (and free).

For streaming, I use 'Video Stream' and enjoy it. I especially like that it has a 'local' tab which shows any videos you have stored on the phone. So I can convert a video i'm streaming (fast) and store it for offline.

Works like a charm.

I use AVPLayerHD ($2.99). Through the 4 MKV files (3 of them 720p), I've had the one that's not 720p crash the app, but still eventually worked after trying again.

yep, 720p is flawless. 1080p is choppy.

Any consensus on what vid player app is best for putting and playing avi/mkv files on the ipad?
Air video, vlc streamer, avvideo, buzzplayer?
Air Video is for streaming videos over your network (from a Winbox or Mac) to your computer. It can also convert videos for adding to your iPad. If you have videos on your computer, you should own Air Video. or StreamToMe.

kaskade

Is pages worth? I feel like if it was 5 bucks I would buy it but 10 is a bit much since I don't know if I really know if I'm going to write on this thing. I was thinking about trying out ia writer.

KtSlime

Is pages worth? I feel like if it was 5 bucks I would buy it but 10 is a bit much since I don't know if I really know if I'm going to write on this thing. I was thinking about trying out ia writer.

I like it, it's not perfect, and is missing some features that I wish it had that exist in its OS X version, but it is usable. I wrote a couple of essays using it before, it got the job done.

id say so. I was able to type up some essays on it while I was on the plane. It supports bluetooth keyboard as well.

railGUN

Banned

I guess they don't link to the offending advertising? It's pretty clear on the Australian Apple site the limitations and availability of 4G.

Just from the "select your iPad page" alone:

The iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G model can roam worldwide on fast GSM/UMTS networks, including HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSDPA. When you travel internationally, you can use a micro-SIM card from a local carrier. You can also connect to the 4G LTE networks of AT&T in the U.S. and Bell, Rogers, and Telus in Canada.

iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G keeps you connected to the Internet using a fast cellular data connection when Wi-Fi isn’t available. So you can stay connected when you’re commuting on the train, hanging out at the park, or looking for directions during a road trip. It’s available without a contract, and service is sold separately. See your carrier for rate plan information.1

4G coverage is not available in all areas and varies by carrier. See your carrier for details.

Mobile data plan is sold separately. The iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G model you purchase is configured to work with a particular mobile network technology. Check with your carrier for compatibility and mobile data plan availability.

/shrug

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any rhyme or reason to why iMessages only show up across both devices some of the time and not all the time? It's fucking infuriating.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So is Edge Magazine Retina enabled? I know it varies by magazine. I'm hoping Edge is one of them.

Also my MacBook 11" 2011 gets a whole lot warmer than this iPad.

Yes. That and Wired that i've noticed. Look gorgeous, but page loads are a bit slow on Edge - hopefully they speed that up.

Zinio has apparantly updated too, but will all magazines be updated or will that be on a case by case basis?

What games are you playing over Airplay? I'm just curious, since I don't have an iPad yet. I'd just imagine latency would be a bigger issue than the heat.

Been playing the new sky gamblers to get it that hot, real racing isn't as bad but that game is over a year old now and most likely not pushing as hard, but still get's quite warm over airplay.

It only bothers me because the entire back gets quite warm not just one patch, that battery is working overtime to do so.

Sky gamblers is soooo good on airplay, the lag is non exsistant in that game because it's not relying on instant reactions like jetpack joyride plus the game hides it really well, give it a try if you can.

This still seems annoying. What if you don't have time to go through all those items? Marking a list partially read seems problematic. Thanks for the info, though!

You can add your Instapaper or Read it later account and change the app settings from "favorite" to one of those, so when you swipe the article to the left (iirc), it will get added to that account. You don't even have to open the article for that, just swipe the item in your list.

elfinke

ElyrionX

Still waiting for my iPad to arrive. Quick question though, will this iPad fit reasonably well in the original Apple cover made for the iPad 1? I really liked that cover. It was so functional.

noah111

Still Alive
Still waiting for my iPad to arrive. Quick question though, will this iPad fit reasonably well in the original Apple cover made for the iPad 1? I really liked that cover. It was so functional.
I'd say no. The iPad 1 is super thick in comparison, so it would probably just be too loose to practically use.

IPad_1_and_2_profile-no-background.jpg

I hope this helps.
(pictured: the iPad 2, which is only slightly thinner than the new iPad.)

SeanR1221

iAnnotate got retina support!

I've always said iAnnotate >>>> Goodreader.

It's just more organized and better at annotating PDF articles.

EDIT: And it looks gorgeous. I'm sitting at my desk, sipping coffee with my iPad propped up with the wing stand, reading and analysis of Verbal Behavior. Nice.

ParityBit

This came in the mail today. Save your money. It's crap. Fits loosely on the bottom-middle and feels cheap as shit, like it's going to crack at any minute.

I got mine in the mail yesterday and found it to fit nice and tight on the new iPad. Can barely tell its there and it protects the back nicely. I actually like it better than the back on the Marware Microshell. It's smooth, where the Microshell has the ridges. I also love being able to see the back of the iPad through the clear shell.

Vyer

Is there any rhyme or reason to why iMessages only show up across both devices some of the time and not all the time? It's fucking infuriating.

Which devices? Messages sent to/from your email can show up on iPad and iPhone, for example. Anything having to do with your cell number only goes to your phone. You can go into your phones Caller ID settings and have it set to your email as a default, but until people are messaging you back there you still won't see it on both.

Mine is doing this - it's driving me nuts. I can't figure it out.

I think it's tied to some combination iCloud and AppleID. My wife's iPhone 4, my iPhone 4 and my new iPad all started sharing messages out of nowhere (all devices shared a single AppleID). The lady set up her own AppleID and I disabled iMessage on the iPad.

I always forget that the ipad 1 was a bit of a thick sandwich in size, too used to the rise of ipad 2 and pictures of it and just how much slimmer it was made compared to the original, wow.

Phreaker

Sometimes i want to jot something down by hand in notability or something. Using my finger just seems awkward.

I take a lot of notes on my iPad and you are right, doing so with my finger just doesn't feel right or work that well. Not that using a stylus/iPad is perfect either, but it's better than using just my finger.

Phreaker

So I got my iPad from Best Buy today, 32 gig LTE. And I was wondering if I should just return it and get the 64 one since its only 100 more and with taxes I already spent a crapload.

What does gaf think? Anyone here with a 32 think they'll need a 64?

PS my iPad 2 was 32... But with high def content coming I don't know...

Did you not think about this before you bought it? I think you'll be fine with 32GBs unless you're planning to shoot and edit tons of 1080p video or do loads of photo editing.

Zeth

The new iPad has ruined other displays for me unfortunately. My aging 13" MBP looks like a grid of pixels in comparison. It's really stunning. The difference didn't seem so massive when first booting the iPad, but after returning to lower density screens it's day and night.

I take a lot of notes on my iPad and you are right, doing so with my finger just doesn't feel right or work that well. Not that using a stylus/iPad is perfect either, but it's better than using just my finger.

I had a stylus sent to me today, only £6 and the end is rather like a deflated balloon instead of solid but I like it, works well in that adobe sketch app and for general messing around.

Can't see myself using it for anything else then that, kind of unrequired.

AndTAR

I hope they'll fix that battery meter at some point. I've used my iPad unplugged for almost 2 hours today, and it's still at 100%, lol.

Very impressive battery life nonetheless - when it eventually starts dropping, it doesn't happen any faster than my old iPad 2. Slightly like having a hidden extra 20%, would just be nice if you could, you know, actually track those.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i've only noticed the iPad getting warm under two conditions so far - while restoring itself from an icloud backup and when playing a video and enabling airplay mirroring to my iMac. but to put that in perspective, my iPad always sits in a thick-ish leather folio case, so I was able to notice the heat even through the material in those instances. i'm sure there it gets warm at other instances that i don't otherwise notice because it's covered so well.

and piggybacking what someone else mentioned - the iphone 4/S in my experience can get just as hot, if not hotter during use. before i upgraded to the LTE iPad, i used to tether my tablet to the iPhone to use the internet during my morning commute into work. sometimes, but not always, the phone will literally cook in my pocket and i'll have to remove the phone because it feels uncomfortable on my leg.

this shouldn't be a big deal - pushing a device's capabilities hard will use a lot of power and generate heat as a result. why it's an issue now and not then is perplexing, and indicative of the insane amount of press that Apple gets from media outlets.

Everyone! Good News! My 16 GB is serving me perfectly for the way I use my iPad!
Congrats! I had the 16GB new iPad first, then upgraded to 32GB. I should've saved my money. I use iTunes Match on my tablet so I'm not syncing music to the device. I installed Air Video to stream my ripped movie collection while home, and I don't play those gargantuan 1GB games that devour space over time. I do own Garageband for iOS, but I rarely use it, so it's not installed right now. That's 800MB saved.

Reclaimer

Congrats! I had the 16GB new iPad first, then upgraded to 32GB. I should've saved my money. I use iTunes Match on my tablet so I'm not syncing music to the device. I installed Air Video to stream my ripped movie collection while home, and I don't play those gargantuan 1GB games that devour space over time. I do own Garageband for iOS, but I rarely use it, so it's not installed right now. That's 800MB saved.

Also: Dropbox. :)

I went for the 64 as I use this for my (primarily visually driven) line of work, and hi-res images and video take up a lot of space. And the 64 still feels spacious. Would I like a 256GB iPad? Absolutely. But I think I could even get by with a 16 using all the cloud services out there.

Phreaker

I know you didn't. I just think it's funny that Android tablets are the new standard for tablets in some measure. It's been said by a few Apple fans in this thread.

I doubt they are, but I don't recall a "heatgate" episode over them either. To me it seems anytime Apple releases anything some people jump to the conclusion there is something wrong with them and that the masses must know. I find it kind of amusing myself.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Also: Dropbox. :)

isPST.png

And that's restored from a previous iPad that had a years' worth of programs and usage on it. Maybe I just need to download more albums from iTunes Match.

Oh yes, dropbox. My friend showed me a trick over the weekend to increase my storage space using my referral links and adwords, and now I'm up to 16GB in total storage :D

I still remember when some people wrote 'DROPBOX KILLER' when Jobs first unveiled iCloud. no, iCloud will not kill Dropbox. ever. even my business is considering purchasing the teams package to augment their backup servers and allow some of us on the design/executive end to work from home more often.

AndTAR

Everyone! Good News! My 16 GB is serving me perfectly for the way I use my iPad!
Same here, and my usage scenario includes both lots of apps, large games and importing RAW+JPG photos from my Nikon D90. Couldn't store tons of stuff on it, but that's perfectly fine, as the iPad is not my main storage device.

Am I the only one left with an original iPad? On my commute to work I only see people carrying around what appear to be 2s and 3s.

I'm still not sure I want to upgrade to The new iPad but seriously considering it right now.

isPST.png

Oh yes, dropbox. My friend showed me a trick over the weekend to increase my storage space using my referral links and adwords, and now I'm up to 16GB in total storage :D

I still remember when some people wrote 'DROPBOX KILLER' when Jobs first unveiled iCloud. no, iCloud will not kill Dropbox. ever. even my business is considering purchasing the teams package to augment their backup servers and allow some of us on the design/executive end to work from home more often.

PM?

isPST.png

And that's restored from a previous iPad that had a years' worth of programs and usage on it. Maybe I just need to download more albums from iTunes Match.

pm me too

sfedai0

Banned
Am I the only one left with an original iPad? On my commute to work I only see people carrying around what appear to be 2s and 3s.

I'm still not sure I want to upgrade to The new iPad but seriously considering it right now.

You want to upgrade because everyone has the new hip device? Or because you actually have a real need to?

Top Bottom