• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

You want to upgrade because everyone has the new hip device? Or because you actually have a real need to?

Not a need for it and not because everyone else has it. Simply because I have a love for new tech and want to play around with that new Retina display. The lighter weight (even if it is slightly heavier than the 2) plus the thinner design is something I've been craving for quite a while and I'll probably use it more on-the-go because of that.

I'm also traveling a bit more now and may want to grab myself a 3G model for travel. I'm not sure I need it though.

There are a lot of reasons to want it but I'm not sure I need it.

Not a need for it and not because everyone else has it. Simply because I have a love for new tech and want to play around with that new Retina display. The lighter weight (even if it is slightly heavier than the 2) plus the thinner design is something I've been craving for quite a while and I'll probably use it more on-the-go because of that.

I'm also traveling a bit more now and may want to grab myself a 3G model for travel. I'm not sure I need it though.

There's no such thing as "need" when talking about these kinds of products. Just varying levels of want. If you want one, get one.

Everyone! Good News! My 16 GB is serving me perfectly for the way I use my iPad!

ibeqtoE9MZUTuG.gif

but seriously glad its working out for you.

Having just made the jump from the first gen iPad to the third gen I can tell you that it is a significant improvement in every way. The while experience is so much faster and smoother, plus you get the great screen. I also bought the LTE version which is a fantastic option as well for those who want Internet on the go.

Jafku

isPST.png
And that's restored from a previous iPad that had a years' worth of programs and usage on it. Maybe I just need to download more albums from iTunes Match.Oh yes, dropbox. My friend showed me a trick over the weekend to increase my storage space using my referral links and adwords, and now I'm up to 16GB in total storage :DI still remember when some people wrote 'DROPBOX KILLER' when Jobs first unveiled iCloud. no, iCloud will not kill Dropbox. ever. even my business is considering purchasing the teams package to augment their backup servers and allow some of us on the design/executive end to work from home more often.

I would like a pm too

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
there was a thread on the OT on how to get the extra storage the exact same way that guy is talking about, you could just search for it...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Why is everyone asking for PMs about the dropbox stuff?

Doesn't this thread cover all the little tips and tricks for that? And if it doesn't, why is it a secret?!

AndTAR

Been pretty scared of 100% brightness ever since that DisplayMate test. 5.8 hours of battery life? And that was even in Airplane Mode, idle on the home screen without any apps running.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
That trick only gifts you 3GB total now.

This method, which I discovered from a lifehacker post dating back last year and from another user here, uses Google Adwords to create an ad with your referral link. It usually takes a few days, but you can max out the 8GB off referrals with little hassle. You simply create an add, auto buy some keywords, and forget about it. If you don't input your CC info, the ads will automatically stop once the credit runs out. If you switch your Dropbox account to use a .edu address and pass out your referral links, everything is doubled. So you can earn a max of 16GB and each signup adds an extra 500MB.

http://lifehacker.com/5854955/how-to-max-out-your-dropbox-referrals-with-google-adwords-for-free

Create an adwords account, wait a few days, and Google will eventually send you a $40 or $100 adwords credit to start your first camapign. Make one using your referral link, and eventually you'll start to see a deluge of signups adding to your space.

Google gets more use of out of their adwords, Dropbox gains more users they can convert to paid customers, and we get more space. It's a win-win-win situation.

Mods, if this is out of bounds, please let me know and I'll remove the post.

cackhyena

Still tons of room on my 16gb new iPad. I leave podcasts and music on the touch, so that helps. Would have been a waste of money for me to go bigger.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Can anyone with a Dodo case comment on how well it stands up for cinema viewing etc.? Does it work at a variety of angles? Thanks.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Still tons of room on my 16gb new iPad. I leave podcasts and music on the touch, so that helps. Would have been a waste of money for me to go bigger.

Same. I find 16GB is all I need. I think if I didn't have my iPhone it would be a different story, but since I keep my music on my phone, I don't need as much space on my iPad.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Which devices? Messages sent to/from your email can show up on iPad and iPhone, for example. Anything having to do with your cell number only goes to your phone. You can go into your phones Caller ID settings and have it set to your email as a default, but until people are messaging you back there you still won't see it on both.

Interesting!

Wait where do I change this info at?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dropbox is badass. Once I ordered my iPad I start loading a bunch of board-game manuals and FAQs into a shared folder there. Going to be amazing to have access to those from the iPad and even be able to share them with friends who have tablets/smarthphones at the table if they need cheat sheets. Lots of saved printing and useful for situations where you can't print at all.

Next step is to actually start getting professional reference materials on there.

Probably will never use it for movies/music/pics though because their prices seem expensive to me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Am I the only one left with an original iPad? On my commute to work I only see people carrying around what appear to be 2s and 3s.

I'm still not sure I want to upgrade to The new iPad but seriously considering it right now.

Retina is great and all but the biggest reason for me upgrading from my OG iPad is more RAM. I mainly use my iPad as a web browser and it is great I can actually use Safari. Pages aren't being reloaded every app switch and Safari rarely crashes.

Dropbox is badass. Once I ordered my iPad I start loading a bunch of board-game manuals and FAQs into a shared folder there. Going to be amazing to have access to those from the iPad and even be able to share them with friends who have tablets/smarthphones at the table if they need cheat sheets. Lots of saved printing and useful for situations where you can't print at all.

Next step is to actually start getting professional reference materials on there.

Probably will never use it for movies/music/pics though because their prices seem expensive to me.

Couple it with GoodReader and you get a very viable document system on the iPad.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i'm part of a group that has several shared Dropbox folders reserved specifically for ebooks/interesting PDFs and wallpapers. we've maxed out what we could via referrals and other promotions Dropbox has offered in the past to increase storage space for free (like the aforementioned photo-client test and linking your account to twitter and facebook).

some of us are still in grad school so the folder is constantly refreshed with interesting PDFs from JStor and other academic databases; others strip the DRM their ebook purchases and make them available to the group, etc. we're entertaining having our own little iPad reading club using Dropbox as our distribution vehicle.

At one point we tried using it to share music, but realized that Rdio was easier and much more ethical since we're paying into it.

Enco

Am I the only one left with an original iPad? On my commute to work I only see people carrying around what appear to be 2s and 3s.

I'm still not sure I want to upgrade to The new iPad but seriously considering it right now.
The original iPad is fat, heavy and slow.

The jump from 1 to 3 is huge. Hell, from 1 to 2 is pretty great too.

Honestly, the biggest upgrade was with 2 performance wise and the form factor.

If people want an iPad but are a little squeamish about the price, I'd get the 2nd Gen.

I think the fourth generation is going to be another decent performance boost as now they have this resolution, now let's improve the performance past the 2nd Gen.

The original iPad is fat, heavy and slow.

The jump from 1 to 3 is huge. Hell, from 1 to 2 is pretty great too.

Yeah, the iPad 1 never met my portability requirements in the long run. It always felt so cumbersome to use. Might pass my 1 onto my mother who is just going to use it around the house and I'll grab a 3.

Honestly, the biggest upgrade was with 2 performance wise and the form factor.

If people want an iPad but are a little squeamish about the price, I'd get the 2nd Gen.

I think the fourth generation is going to be another decent performance boost as now they have this resolution, now let's improve the performance past the 2nd Gen.

your argument doesnt make sense. Thats like going from Windows 7 to Windows XP. Sure Windows XP is the best Windows MS had made till 7 came along. Did you need 7? Not really, but only a fool would go back to XP from 7

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I"m actually trying to sell my iPad 1 64GB with Wi-fi and 3G... Sigh. No luck so far. What is a good asking price? (The iPad is in perfect condition.)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I"m actually trying to sell my iPad 1 64GB with Wi-fi and 3G... Sigh. No luck so far. What is a good asking price? (The iPad is in perfect condition.)

I managed to unload a 32 gb Wifi ipad 1 for 275 right before the announcement.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I managed to unload a 32 gb Wifi ipad 1 for 275 right before the announcement.

Well the thing is,

My iPad is in very good/perfect condition, with a matte screen protector and case... the thing is I don't have the original box with me right now, nor do I have the power brick/apple earphones, and etc... So with that said, am I marking up the price?

Quake1028

I got mine in the mail yesterday and found it to fit nice and tight on the new iPad. Can barely tell its there and it protects the back nicely. I actually like it better than the back on the Marware Microshell. It's smooth, where the Microshell has the ridges. I also love being able to see the back of the iPad through the clear shell.

The case is perfectly fine, especially for under $5. I have had two, and they both worked perfectly. Isn't he an Apple troll anyway?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
which PDF reader will allow me to utilize Box as well as DropBox for my PDF and other media files?

ANNOTATE! Annotation is a feature long sought after by users who want to add their own mark-ups to PDFs, especially those collaborating as a team on shared documents. The types of annotations that can be created and edited in GoodReader include typewriter text boxes, popup comments ("sticky notes"), text highlights, freehand drawings, lines, arrows, rectangles, ovals, cloudy shapes, text underlines, strikeouts, text insertion marks.

MANAGE FILES! GoodReader lets you create folders, move, copy and rename your files; zip, email and unzip them; plus send your files to other apps.

TRANSFER FILES! Within moments of downloading GoodReader, you’ll be transferring files in a number of ways: directly from your computer over a USB cable or WiFi connection, from the Internet or from email attachments. It also easily integrates with iDisk, Google Docs, Dropbox, SugarSync, box.net and other WebDAV, AFP, FTP and SFTP servers.

SYNC YOUR FILES AND FOLDERS! The amazing Auto Sync feature will work with MobileMe iDisk, Dropbox, SugarSync, box.net, and any other WebDAV, AFP, FTP or SFTP server.

GOODREADER!!!!!

The sync feature is amazing. I can annotate locally and it sync my annotations to dropbox at the touch of a button. Too good!

Top Bottom