• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Toki767

I'm still on the hunt for a case for this thing. I figure it will either be the Maroo case or the CaseCrown one. I really would've liked one in white but it doesn't look like either have one in that color that supports the auto sleep/wake function.

ANNOTATE! Annotation is a feature long sought after by users who want to add their own mark-ups to PDFs, especially those collaborating as a team on shared documents. The types of annotations that can be created and edited in GoodReader include typewriter text boxes, popup comments ("sticky notes"), text highlights, freehand drawings, lines, arrows, rectangles, ovals, cloudy shapes, text underlines, strikeouts, text insertion marks.

MANAGE FILES! GoodReader lets you create folders, move, copy and rename your files; zip, email and unzip them; plus send your files to other apps.

TRANSFER FILES! Within moments of downloading GoodReader, you’ll be transferring files in a number of ways: directly from your computer over a USB cable or WiFi connection, from the Internet or from email attachments. It also easily integrates with iDisk, Google Docs, Dropbox, SugarSync, box.net and other WebDAV, AFP, FTP and SFTP servers.

SYNC YOUR FILES AND FOLDERS! The amazing Auto Sync feature will work with MobileMe iDisk, Dropbox, SugarSync, box.net, and any other WebDAV, AFP, FTP or SFTP server.

GOODREADER!!!!!

The sync feature is amazing. I can annotate locally and it sync my annotations to dropbox at the touch of a button. Too good!

The only thing I don't like about good reader is that it doesn't auto sync.

Also, it can't open .msg files :(

ANNOTATE! Annotation is a feature long sought after by users who want to add their own mark-ups to PDFs, especially those collaborating as a team on shared documents. The types of annotations that can be created and edited in GoodReader include typewriter text boxes, popup comments ("sticky notes"), text highlights, freehand drawings, lines, arrows, rectangles, ovals, cloudy shapes, text underlines, strikeouts, text insertion marks.

MANAGE FILES! GoodReader lets you create folders, move, copy and rename your files; zip, email and unzip them; plus send your files to other apps.

TRANSFER FILES! Within moments of downloading GoodReader, you’ll be transferring files in a number of ways: directly from your computer over a USB cable or WiFi connection, from the Internet or from email attachments. It also easily integrates with iDisk, Google Docs, Dropbox, SugarSync, box.net and other WebDAV, AFP, FTP and SFTP servers.

SYNC YOUR FILES AND FOLDERS! The amazing Auto Sync feature will work with MobileMe iDisk, Dropbox, SugarSync, box.net, and any other WebDAV, AFP, FTP or SFTP server.

GOODREADER!!!!!

The sync feature is amazing. I can annotate locally and it sync my annotations to dropbox at the touch of a button. Too good!

Glad im paying 4.99 soon for it then, is there a chance for a promo soon for free or 99 cents?

SeanR1221

I find iAnnotate to be way more organize than GoodReader. IAnnotate for life. Been using it for two years and won't stop now. All my marked up articles are in there ;).

DJ_Lae

Maroo case finally arrived today (no idea how it took so long to ship, Washington is pressed up against BC's ass). It feels really good, although unfortunately the magnet doesn't seem to trigger as well as it should. I could have requested a replacement case last week but I would have felt guilty doing it without knowing mine was a dud.

The construction seems high quality, though, and it's nice being able to prop it up a little bit for typing on a tabletop. Makes the iPad look nice and professional, too, so I might start bringing it to meetings in place of my laptop as it's smaller and works well enough for basic note taking.

Now all I need is that iPad release of Microsoft Office. Please.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I find iAnnotate to be way more organize than GoodReader. IAnnotate for life. Been using it for two years and won't stop now. All my marked up articles are in there ;).
I tried it a while back, did they fix the godawful UI? It was straight basura last time I used it.

MThanded

Funny, I found GoodReader to be utter garbage when I got it two years ago.

It was but iAnnotate was worse. *rimshot*

GoodReader has horrific UI.

If iAnnotate is better (no really good pics) then I'll give it a shot.
For pdf annotating or in general. The pdf annotation stuff couldn't be better. context menus on long press.

I actually purchased iAnnotate back in the day I should load it up and see if they fixed the foolishness.

giga

GoodReader has horrific UI.

If iAnnotate is better (no really good pics) then I'll give it a shot.
This. I can't stand it, no matter how many bells and whistles it has. Someone post some full shots of iAnnotate around the file browser and with a PDF open?

MThanded

Why hasnt apple put pdf annotation in iBooks?

I mean it would be useless for me without dropbox sync but it would be nice to have.

My Mendeley Library sits in dropbox so its easy to annotate and read papers that way.

SeanR1221

I mean you couldn't even annotate with GoodReader when it came out! When iannotate introduced a file system, it was over. iAnnotate was the best tool I had in grad school.

EDIT- Ill post some iAnnotate screens later.

MThanded

I mean you couldn't even annotate with GoodReader when it came out! When iannotate introduced a file system, it was over. iAnnotate was the best tool I had in grad school.
I am hoping you dont need that Aji PDF service nonsense any more. Can you at least sync to third party services?

From their site it still mentions that Aji PDF program so I can't tell.

Enco

It was but iAnnotate was worse. *rimshot*

For pdf annotating or in general. The pdf annotation stuff couldn't be better. context menus on long press.

I actually purchased iAnnotate back in the day I should load it up and see if they fixed the foolishness.
The menu is way too cluttered. It has a load of nice features but I don't know how long I can use the ugly UI for.

This. I can't stand it, no matter how many bells and whistles it has. Someone post some full shots of iAnnotate around the file browser and with a PDF open?
Exactly. Some devs seem to miss the point that UI is important.

Thanks!

Been pretty scared of 100% brightness ever since that DisplayMate test. 5.8 hours of battery life? And that was even in Airplane Mode, idle on the home screen without any apps running.

You can really notice the power drain on a full bright 3rd gen ipad for sure, just browsing with it that bright easily takes up 10% before you realise.

Blackhead

Redarse

File browser:
YY4Dn.jpg

TRt9y.png

PDF Open:

iAnnotate is good for annotation but for reading, following links and such—which is what I do most of the time not annotating—Goodreader has it beat. I can understand though if you're primary activity is annotating, syncing and sharing why you'd choose iAnnotate over Goodreader. Neither of them is great on the general UI front, I just have them for the features.

Why hasnt apple put pdf annotation in iBooks?

I mean it would be useless for me without dropbox sync but it would be nice to have.

My Mendeley Library sits in dropbox so its easy to annotate and read papers that way.

How did you pick Mendeley over Papers?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So on my iPhone under phone and messag settings I see no option to change my caller Id to my email address. Which allegedly fix my iMessage issues.

Enco

Thanks Greyface. Definitely looks nicer I think but not perfect like you said.

Papers looks good. Whats the difference between that and GoodReader/iAnnotate?

So on my iPhone under phone and messag settings I see no option to change my caller Id to my email address. Which allegedly fix my iMessage issues.
Settings > Messages > Receive at > Caller ID

That'll help with cross platform sync but you'll have to tell all your contacts as your messages will arrive from your email and not usual number.

Toki767

Well I pulled the trigger on the Maroo case. $36 so not super expensive at least. Really interested to see their SG bumper technology.

kinggroin

Banned
Someone tell me why I should continue to use my Dropbox for comic and gn storage when Box gives me 50gb free? Is it for the desktop client?

GJS

Settings > Messages > Receive at > Caller ID

That'll help with cross platform sync but you'll have to tell all your contacts as your messages will arrive from your email and not usual number.

Papers is a reference manager so it is designed for organizing a large number of papers and includes repository searching etc, on top of reading, annotating and syncing any pdfs.

Goodreader and iannotate are just pdf readers.

Maroo case finally arrived today (no idea how it took so long to ship, Washington is pressed up against BC's ass). It feels really good, although unfortunately the magnet doesn't seem to trigger as well as it should. I could have requested a replacement case last week but I would have felt guilty doing it without knowing mine was a dud.

The construction seems high quality, though, and it's nice being able to prop it up a little bit for typing on a tabletop. Makes the iPad look nice and professional, too, so I might start bringing it to meetings in place of my laptop as it's smaller and works well enough for basic note taking.

Now all I need is that iPad release of Microsoft Office. Please.

Gahhh. Still waiting for mine to arrive.

Enco

Papers is a reference manager so it is designed for organizing a large number of papers and includes repository searching etc, on top of reading, annotating and syncing any pdfs.

Hmm doubt I'll need all that.

What about PDF Expert? UI looks better than the rest.

Blackhead

Redarse

iAnnotate looks like a linux app. Papers looks real good though. Anyone have experience with that app?
What GJS said

It's really designed for academics and you have to buy the desktop app to get the most out of it imo. It's a nicely crafted though; the developers are from the Mac old school:

File browser:

PDF Open:

Has anyone tried PDFPen?

Edit:

PDF Expert is decent but hasn't been updated for the new iPad yet and doesn't match the reading features of goodreader or the annotation features of iAnnotate imo. I could post screenshots but I'm trying to protect ma retinas from those low resolution graphics.

NYR

isPST.png

And that's restored from a previous iPad that had a years' worth of programs and usage on it. Maybe I just need to download more albums from iTunes Match.

Oh yes, dropbox. My friend showed me a trick over the weekend to increase my storage space using my referral links and adwords, and now I'm up to 16GB in total storage :D

I still remember when some people wrote 'DROPBOX KILLER' when Jobs first unveiled iCloud. no, iCloud will not kill Dropbox. ever. even my business is considering purchasing the teams package to augment their backup servers and allow some of us on the design/executive end to work from home more often.
PM please, good sir!

mrkgoo

One more recommendation for Papers. It really is a great reference/research app and works well with its Mac version.

I haven't used Papers much since I, well, stopped working. And since then I've had no incentive to buy Papers 2.0. Anyone have any impressions on the difference? I'm still rocking Papers 1.9!

jts

...hate me...
I had to cave in and get a book on Kindle since it's unavailable in the iBookstore, and I must say, the ipad app is way better than I expected. Better in some aspects than iBooks imo. Although I wish I could load my own epubs into it (without jailbreaking).

But overall, both apps are a joy to use.

I've been using GoodReader since the iPad3 has been released and love it. Reading, syncing and organizing are great. The UI is good enough. Annotating seems like a pain but haven't done much with it. Much better than using iBooks or Adobe Reader to read PDFs.

X-Frame

I've been using GoodReader since the iPad3 has been released and love it. Reading, syncing and organizing are great. The UI is good enough. Annotating seems like a pain but haven't done much with it. Much better than using iBooks or Adobe Reader to read PDFs.

So does everyone who has GoodReader not even bother syncing their PDF's to iBooks? Only to GoodReader?

I regret buying iannotate. After further research I discovered 6-7 apps that do what I need to do, just as highly rated but with a much slicker UI.

These include:

Noteshelf
Notability
Penultimate
CourseNotes
Goodnotes
PDF expert

etc..

One thing I can't stand is a horrible looking UI.

Alex

I'd probably only feel the need to go past a 16 if I watched a lot of HD movies. For apps, music, books and a weeks worth of tv shows I load up each weekend it suits me very comfortably. I still have 5GB free now even.

more is always better though, so itd be nice if they upgraded the baseline next go around.

kr2t0s

2.99 let us know how it is

Guess someone had to take one for the team. Its definitely not ready for prime time. No retina. Crahshed twice. Feels really slow.

But the biggest thing turning me off on it is jus the small touches that they don't have:
When you create a new notebook - doesn't automatically open it
When you go into a new notebook - nothing is selected. Such as the pen tool or the typing tool or anything. I get that people probably want different things but at least default to something.

Tons of other small things - like selecting the paper type you want, only shows you a corner of the paper and really hard to tell which is which. Really stupid.

I'll keep it tucked away in a folder in hopes it will get updated but it's really doing nothing new so far

cnizzle06

Banned
What do you guys use all that dropbox space for? Aren't pictures and videos heavily compressed causing it to be pretty much useless for such files?

Bought the Griffin intellicase and hate it. Back bulge is annoying, the flap just feels irritating when pressed against the back and keeps sliding around, slimy, etc.

Still leaning towards ordering the Marware Microshell Folio, ships next week finally. Paranoid that I'll hate it too though.

I want an iPad so bad... Haven't had a tablet yet, I've been using my 12" ASUS netbook

It's been a horrible ride for me, can't decide what's more important to me right now between these 3 items

Native Instruments Maschine $409.99 (I can get a sweet discount)
maschine_abs7.jpg

Ludwig Black Beauty $679.99
LB417KTDWM.jpg

New iPad 32gb Wifi $599.99
iPad-2-Ad-400x220.png

This is what's been on my mind for so long, I can only afford one of these this year

*sigh* I don't know what to do...

coldfoot

Banned
Went to Apple Store to exchange my iPad 3 with a single dead pixel, towards the edge of the screen and not stuck on blue or anything. No issues, no hassle. Now I can truly love my first iPad. I got the 32GB Wifi Black model, as everyone knows black borders are better for watching videos, and 3G/4G connectivity is unnecessary when you can have a personal hotspot from your smartphone.

Recon

Banned
I want an iPad so bad... Haven't had a tablet yet, I've been using my 12" ASUS netbook

It's been a horrible ride for me, can't decide what's more important to me right now between these 3 items

maschine_abs7.jpg

LB417KTDWM.jpg

iPad-2-Ad-400x220.png

This is what's been on my mind for so long, I can only afford one of these this year

Get the Maschine. I have the Maschine Mikro and it is a fantastic piece of hardware and software. Guarantee you will not regret it.

japtor

Still waiting for my iPad to arrive. Quick question though, will this iPad fit reasonably well in the original Apple cover made for the iPad 1? I really liked that cover. It was so functional.
I played with it when I first got my iPad 2, it's really loose but it's usable. The iPad 2 with the Smart Cover on still fit fine.

I've heard it's pretty good, but didn't know it hasn't been retina updated yet. Hopefully they'll put in a 2-up mode once it's updated now that it'd actually be usable that way.

iPad and iMaschine! (huh didn't realize it was an iPhone only app, but it should still be fine at 2x and I'm sure it's limited vs the real thing...and there's a lot of other nice music apps too).

Top Bottom