• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Enco

Yea seems the PDF expert update has been delayed.

I'll pick it up after it's out. I refuse to support non retina apps (mostly).

Micerider

Quick Question for the IPad 3 owners :

Is the overheating issue a bummer for a normal use?

Quick explanation : I went into an Apple Store with 3 new iPad demo units. I picked them all 3 and they were all hot. Not to the point that I could not stand it, but sufficiently to have a repulsive effect on me. In comparison, I took the iPad 2 demo unit sitting just next to them and it was really much more convenient (going as far as leading me to think that iPad 2 would be a better purchase for long uses).

Bearing in mind that these are demo units running 24/24 7/7, could anyone confirm if the new iPad is significantly less comfortable to handle for long uses due to that?

Quick explanation : I went into an Apple Store with 3 new iPad demo units. I picked them all 3 and they were all hot. Not to the point that I could not stand it, but sufficiently to have a repulsive effect on me. In comparison, I took the iPad 2 demo unit sitting just next to them and it was really much more convenient (going as far as leading me to think that iPad 2 would be a better purchase for long uses).

Bearing in mind that these are demo units running 24/24 7/7, could anyone confirm if the new iPad is significantly less comfortable to handle for long uses due to that?

No

Recon

Banned
I played with it when I first got my iPad 2, it's really loose but it's usable. The iPad 2 with the Smart Cover on still fit fine.

I've heard it's pretty good, but didn't know it hasn't been retina updated yet. Hopefully they'll put in a 2-up mode once it's updated now that it'd actually be usable that way.

iPad and iMaschine! (huh didn't realize it was an iPhone only app, but it should still be fine at 2x and I'm sure it's limited vs the real thing...and there's a lot of other nice music apps too).

I have imaschine, I like it for what it is, a sketchpad type program. The full hardware/software is leagues better, but the iOS app is still nice.

Enco

No issue at all.

After long usage and videos/games it gets slightly warm but it's by no means an issue.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Just tone down the screen brightness and it doesn't get near as hot. All the stock units are displaying at 100% all day long. Ton that brightness down from crazy high levels, and boom the problem goes away for the most part.

Phoenix

Most iPad usage I've had was inside a case of some sort (folio or Belkin gell thing) so I wave not had and direct contact with the device since day 1. On day one I noticed some warmth, but nothing debilitating.

Marjorine

Sorry for this question in advance, as I am sure it has been asked time and time again, but I can't go through 197 pages to find the answer.

I need a case for my new iPad, but I don't like those official Apple things. I liked the black one I had with my iPad 1 (the official Apple one), but it appears that Apple doesn't make those anymore.

Is there anything like that available on Amazon or anywhere? I see some, and I guess they don't work well with the auto sleep function or whatever, but I don't care about that. I just want the kind of case I used to have. Any suggestions on which one is the best?

asdad123

So my charger somehow fell out of my bookbag and now I need another one.

Can anyone recommend on that has two usb ports? (One for my iphone and one for Ipad) that costs less than the $30 apple charges for the iPad charger?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Figured I'd mention that I finally got SkinGuard in Carbon White from SGP yesterday and got it installed.

The texture actually feels really great in my hands and application was fairly painless. You have to worry about air bubbles like it was a screen protector, but it wasn't hard to get a smooth install after a few tries.

Feels premium, doesn't add any noticeable weight to the device in my hands...and hopefully will give me more confidence to lay the iPad on it's back without damaging anything. I'll report back when I've had more time with it to see if it gets any wear and tear from placing the iPad on it's back a lot.

So far so good.

ParityBit

Figured I'd mention that I finally got SkinGuard in Carbon White from SGP yesterday and got it installed.

The texture actually feels really great in my hands and application was fairly painless. You have to worry about air bubbles like it was a screen protector, but it wasn't hard to get a smooth install after a few tries.

Feels premium, doesn't add any noticeable weight to the device in my hands...and hopefully will give me more confidence to lay the iPad on it's back without damaging anything. I'll report back when I've had more time with it to see if it gets any wear and tear from placing the iPad on it's back a lot.

So far so good.

It looks really nice. What about your engraving if you have it. I guess it just gets covered.

It is 6 degrees warmer and the conversation has already changed into talking about it overheating instead of just accurately saying it's warm sometimes.

People aren't blindly defending Apple. They just want people to talk about these things without blowing it all up into inaccuracies and the usual Internet shitheadedness.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
It is 6 degrees warmer and the conversation has already changed into talking about it overheating instead of just accurately saying it's warm sometimes.

People aren't blindly defending Apple. They just want people to talk about these things without blowing it all up into inaccuracies and the usual Internet shitheadedness.

CNN's had the "overheating" headline all week.

shira

compared to ipad1/2 yes

So far so good.
I almost bought that, but decided against because of the lack of protection on the corners and sides. that's where the damage is most likely to occur, IMO, and not having any protection there killed it for me. But it's definitely better than naked, and should you want to sit the thing down on a hard surface, you don't have to worry. But the minute you bang that sommbitch against a door on your way out of a room or something, or see it drop off the side of your chair, you're going to be salty.

I went with this:

http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple/ipad-2/sgp-ipad-2-hard-case-harmonie-series.html

it's excellent.

amrihua

Ever since I got my new iPad I have been using it way more than I ever used my iPad 2. My MacBook Pro doesn't get any much use anymore! The screen is just mesmerizing.

BTW just anecdotal but never noticed any overheating on mine. Then again I never have the brightness more than 40%.

FuturusX

Oh.....my....God....

I used my IPAD LTE as a hotspot whilst waiting at the DMV...I had some Emergency client work to do on my Macbook pro.

Incredible.

renitou

Nothing on this page but a person asking about warmth as compared to the first two iPad models. Don't jump at shadows.

I've been using my iPad for hours a day since launch, often at 100% brightness, and often using taxing apps (iPhoto editing) and heavy 3D games. The first I've heard about this is from the internet, and all the bullshit sensationalism. I haven't even noticed it, and hasn't affected me in the slightest. It's a non-issue, and yes, in retrospect this iPad probably does get a bit warmer, but the thought wouldn't even have occurred to me were it not for this parasitic click-bait hysteria that outlets need to jump on with any Apple product. I've now anecdotally heard several people at BestBuy, the Apple Store, etc telling the employees they've heard it gets 'too hot'. I had to roll my eyes. Same thing with this charging 'issue' which has turned out to naturally be complete bullshit and working the way its meant to work.

You have a dual core cpu and a quad core GPU pumping out more pixels than have ever been pumped out at this size in an enclosure a few mm thin. Apple is not going to single-handedly destroy the rules of thermodynamics. For what it's accomplishing, it's nothing to even blink at, considering it doesn't reach anywhere NEAR the heat of any laptop Ive ever owned, which actually does qualify at 'hot'. Considering this has no fan, and I'm playing heavy, complex 3D games running at the native 2048x1536 resolution which would make all other computers I own choke to death, 'warm' is perfectly fucking acceptable.

Ever since I got my new iPad I have been using it way more than I ever used my iPad 2. My MacBook Pro doesn't get any much use anymore! The screen is just mesmerizing.

BTW just anecdotal but never noticed any overheating on mine. Then again I never have the brightness more than 40%.

Yea. My MBP is pretty much a glorified jukebox and gets the occasional Steam use. It makes me sad. My iPhone as well has seen its use plummet. I've gotten rid of at least a dozen apps that I don't need on there now that I have an iPad that is more capable for those uses. Things like HBO Go, Netflix, and lots of Universal games got taken off quickly.

I posted this in the Best of iOS thread but that's not a very active thread of late so I'm posting it here as well. Any input is appreciated:

I checked the last few pages and didn't see anything mentioned... but is there a general consensus on a the best alarm clock app for the iPad?

I really wish Apple would bring over the iPhone Clock app. It's absolute perfection, but they sadly aren't interested in doing so anytime soon. So anything close to that on the App Store?

And I've bought one. I've been really wanting my mother to have an iPad for sometime so I decided to give her my old iPad 1 and pick up an iPad 3 for myself. She's not going to be taking her iPad on the go so the heavier form factor isn't going to be much of an issue while I'm going to be moving around with mine quite a bit.

It made sense in the end and was the perfect excuse... :p

Good to see they aren't sold out everywhere. You can pretty much walk in and buy one at Future Shop.

Nothing on this page but a person asking about warmth as compared to the first two iPad models. Don't jump at shadows.

I'm not saying he's being stupid or anything. However, he did use the word "overheating," which shows what some people have been trying to say about how others have been getting misinformed since this whole silly thing started.

The iCloud service really proves itself useful when you get a new iDevice. Picked up my new iPad at lunch and it has almost updated with all my stuff while I'm sitting her at work. That's all kinds of awesome.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey Gaf,

What would be a good stylus for note taking in "let's" say a college class? Is it recommended, and more efficient compared notebook and pen?

Enco

Any grad students using an iPad? How do you find it? Is it convenient for annotations/reading papers? Or more of a toy?

Thanks.
It's brilliant for that.

I refuse to print so much paper and carry it around. It's a waste of money, time and effort. An iPad is a brilliant replacement with plenty of flexibility.

Plus it's a pretty great way to pass time too :p

Loving every second so far.

Quick

Banned
Hey Gaf,

What would be a good stylus for note taking in "let's" say a college class? Is it recommended, and more efficient compared notebook and pen?

My personal opinion is notebook and pen is probably better. But if you really want to use the iPad, get a fine tip stylus. I have no idea on a specific brand.

AEREC

Is there still a shortage...I recently go interested in getting one of these thinking I could just stroll into Best Buy and pick one up, but Im guessing thats not the case.

When will the new iPad start being easily available?

Is there still a shortage...I recently go interested in getting one of these thinking I could just stroll into Best Buy and pick one up, but Im guessing thats not the case.

what country/state are you in?

because the Apple stores down here around Miami haven't run out yet.

I just strolled into a Future Shop and picked one up today. 16 gb WiFi White. The rep who helped me said he was surprised by how many he had in the back. It's worth trying.

AEREC

what country/state are you in?

because the Apple stores down here around Miami haven't run out yet.

I just strolled into a Future Shop and picked one up today. 16 gb WiFi White. The rep who helped me said he was surprised by how many he had in the back. It's worth trying.

Georgia (US).

Im just going off articles Ive seen and Best Buys website says not available for store pickup. I guess I could try the Peach Mac stores around me though.

Im also looking for the 64GB Black version with just Wi-Fi.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Who would seriously read all that and why?

It's a freakin tablet.

iPad isn't just "a tablet". Every other tablet is just "a tablet". The iPad is the iPad.

Awww yeah!

cnizzle06

Banned
iPad isn't just "a tablet". Every other tablet is just "a tablet". The iPad is the iPad.

Awww yeah!

Omg, I'm totally adding that to my forum sig right next to, 'live.laugh.love' and other toolbag things to say!

Also can someone recommend a good set of oven mitts to use while holding the iPad?

mrkgoo

I posted this in the Best of iOS thread but that's not a very active thread of late so I'm posting it here as well. Any input is appreciated:

I checked the last few pages and didn't see anything mentioned... but is there a general consensus on a the best alarm clock app for the iPad?

I really wish Apple would bring over the iPhone Clock app. It's absolute perfection, but they sadly aren't interested in doing so anytime soon. So anything close to that on the App Store?

Alarm clock apps are a bit of a funny one. None can match the default iPhone one, which is integrated into the system. Third party apps have to rely on the push notification system.

That said, I do use one:
http://appshopper.com/utilities/night-stand-hd

More because I have it for free. It's nice and works. Not sure I'd PAY for it, but there you go. Not sure if there is a consensus for alarm apps.

Setre

Hey everyone, thinking of picking up an iPad 3. Was wondering what size y’all think I should get. I’ll be putting books, comics, and a few games/apps on it.

I own an original 32 GB iPad and have never run out of space but I’m paranoid as hell. So getting the 64 would not only give me more space but some peace of mind.

What say you GAF?

Top Bottom