• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

giga

Who would seriously read all that and why?

It's a freakin tablet.
Why would it matter what it is? What criteria makes a product deserving or not deserving of an extensive analysis? I'm assuming this is your first time reading a piece by Anand and his team? This is their bread and butter and people do appreciate their work.

When reviewing a product, most reviewers usually just explain "what". They give you the results without any sort of research and analysis. Anandtech also gives you results (much more thorough results), but they go further to try and explain "why". It's similar to the steps of the scientific method you should have learned in grade school.

Why are there two different LTE models? Why does the unit get warmer than previous models? Why does it take longer to charge? Why is the A5X twice the size of the Tegra 3? Why are they still using 45nm chips? Why did they abandon the package on package style SoC for a BGA flip chip?

Anandtech even unearthed lots of interesting tidbits that many reviewers missed or didn't even bother testing: Using it as a hotspot gave over 25 hours of battery life. iPhoto brushes can max out the CPU. The new camera has a longer focal length than the iPad 2. It takes 2 more hours than the iPad 2 to charge from 0 to 100%. There's a crazy quad channel memory interface for the GPU. The next iPhone won't have the same 45nm A5X chip.

diesizecomparison.jpg

giga

downloading now.
If you're on a slow connection, it might take a few seconds for the high res photo to show. They initially show you the regular version while the full size image downloads in the background. After it's finished, it subtly updates the image to the high res version.

GJS

What defines whether the ipad keyboard splits fully or has the translucent grey background spanning the gap?

I've seen all these screenshots and videos of the split keyboard where they are separated, yet every time I try out the iPad in store it always keeps a translucent grey background there.

That review was great. Probably the best new iPad review I've seen.

It made me realize I'm a little disappointed about this year's upgrade (granted it has a great new screen and LTE for those that care), but the next revision will take us back to performance improvements, better battery life and a smaller package (possibly redesigned).

And they just created a fork with the iPhone because of the SoC. This year's iPhone announcement will be heavily anticipated to see what they use.

But it looks like next year's iPad will most likely have it's components thrown in 2013 iPhone.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The iPad really makes the iPhone seem like a poor value proposition. Especially with the monthly bill. I mean I can't imagine my life without a smartphone but I can't help feeling what might be described as buyers remorse.

Idk. I'll be interested to see what my feelings are in 2013/14 when it's time to move on my from my 4S. All there needs to be is an iPod touch with the iPad's data structure and I'd probably forgo a "phone" all together.

The iPad really makes the iPhone seem like a poor value proposition. Especially with the monthly bill. I mean I can't imagine my life without a smartphone but I can't help feeling what might be described as buyers remorse.

Idk. I'll be interested to see what my feelings are in 2013/14 when it's time to move on my from my 4S. All there needs to be is an iPod touch with the iPad's data structure and I'd probably forgo a "phone" all together.

calling people is a nifty function though

Blackhead

Redarse
Nice to see Anandtech post their review.

Extensive detail as always.. from them, I expect nothing less.

I read all of it.. on my ipad.
I started reading it on the iPad too but got frustrated when the article started asking me to hover over links. Back to the MBA :/. The retina display MacBooks can't come soon enough.

If you're on a slow connection, it might take a few seconds for the high res photo to show. They initially show you the regular version while the full size image downloads in the background. After it's finished, it subtly updates the image to the high res version.
They really should put some indication that HQ pics are loading. thanks for the links though.

What's the holdup? You can do that now. The iPod Touch is shitty, and has always been gimped by Apple. It'll probably still be better to simply buy the iPhone off-contract instead of getting an iPad mini.

cubanb

Banned
Decided to trade in my Asus transformer and get an ipad. I am trying to decide between 16 gb ipad 2 wifi or the new ipad 16 gb wifi. Given that I have a verizon galaxy nexus that can tether 4g, I am going with wifi, so the 4g improvement does not help me. It seems like the cpu upgrade isn't huge. Does the retina screen outweigh the extra $100 along with the slight weight and thickness increase over ipad 2?

Decided to trade in my Asus transformer and get an ipad. I am trying to decide between 16 gb ipad 2 wifi or the new ipad 16 gb wifi. Given that I have a verizon galaxy nexus that can tether 4g, I am going with wifi, so the 4g improvement does not help me. It seems like the cpu upgrade isn't huge. Does the retina screen outweigh the extra $100 along with the slight weight and thickness increase over ipad 2?

Retina display is heavenly on my peepers.

Blackhead

Redarse

If you're not getting an iPad for the retina display then I really don't see the point in buying the device at all.

Sidenote: does the iPad 2 now do the hotspot or is that a special feature for the new iPad?

vehn

Wish it would tell you when the pics are fully downloaded

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What's the holdup? You can do that now. The iPod Touch is shitty, and has always been gimped by Apple. It'll probably still be better to simply buy the iPhone off-contract instead of getting an iPad mini.

I'm under lock and chain for now. Plus I was just kinda spitballing I still love my phone. Just noticing the significant feature overlap with the iPad and comparing the two is not at all favorable for the phone.

Yaska

Still sold out in my country and haven't got mine even though I preordered almost 3 weeks ago. (Problem is that they opened preorders and every ipad available for reserve went to Eastern Europe.) Hopefully a new shipment arrives today and I can get my ipad.

Either get a new one or buy a used iPad 2. Don't buy a new iPad 2 unless you have warranty concerns. I'd strongly recommend the new iPad. the screen is worth it all day long.

The display alone is worth the price difference.

You're already used to a high ppi display in the galaxy nexus..

Also, the ipad 2 is a screen downgrade from the transformer.. but the new ipad is a big upgrade over both devices, imo.

Vyer

Yeah, what Ken said. It's going to cut into some of the regular usage of my phone, no doubt, but I still need/want a smartphone. I use it a lot for work on a daily basis, so there really isn't any value loss for me, other than my mobile/casual lay around the house browsing will be cut down.

dream

Yea. I think the iPad is the better product but if I had to choose between it and the iPhone, I would pick the iPhone without a second thought.

NYR

The iCloud service really proves itself useful when you get a new iDevice. Picked up my new iPad at lunch and it has almost updated with all my stuff while I'm sitting her at work. That's all kinds of awesome.

I'll be honest. I wrote off iCloud the first day it came after it messed up my bookmarks. I keep different ones for my iPhone and iPad and It just copied my ipad ones to the iPhone, deleting my old ones. Was pisssd after the first day, totally turned it off and did a recover on my iPhone to get them back.

Went to sell my iPad 2 two weeks before the new ipad came out and decided to have a back up of my back up. Turned on iCloud and actually learned what it does. It really is amazing, no excuse to ever lose iPhone or iPad data ever again, love it. I still don't use photo stream since I really have no need for it.

I'll be honest. I wrote off iCloud the first day it came after it messed up my bookmarks. I keep different ones for my iPhone and iPad and It just copied my ipad ones to the iPhone, deleting my old ones. Was pisssd after the first day, totally turned it off and did a recover on my iPhone to get them back.

Went to sell my iPad 2 two weeks before the new ipad came out and decided to have a back up of my back up. Turned on iCloud and actually learned what it does. It really is amazing, no excuse to ever lose iPhone or iPad data ever again, love it. I still don't use photo stream since I really have no need for it.

Activated my iPad and all my bookmarks transferred from my iPhone perfectly and all photo stream pics were there, when iCloud correctly it's an amazing thing.

Blackhead

Redarse
My two key takeaways from the Anandtech review:
I know of an internal Apple project to bring a physical controller to market, but whether or not it will ever see the light of day remains to be seen.
As long as you're ok with iOS, there's no reason not to get the new iPad.

Holy shit, Fotopedia updated all their apps for retina. Their apps are basically large galleries of awesome photos (and accompanying stories).

http://www.fotopedia.com/retina_products

Some full size shots:

http://i.minus.com/iyBUXpmQ5Cywv.png
http://i.minus.com/ipVxb8s3JCAD4.png
http://i.minus.com/iGsQtzZ6Tpy4Y.png

The photos in that animal one look fucking insane. A showpiece for the retina display if ever there was one. I skimmed through like 50 photos and almost every single one took my breath away. Simply incredible.

b-b-b-b-but Steve Jobs said stylus is the devil!

No, he said that a stylus shouldn't be the primary way to interacts with a touchscreen device in a universal manner. And he's absolutely right, I doubt even the creators of papers would disagree. I also doubt Steve jobs would have a problem with a stylus for use in a drawing/sketching app. Dnt try to sensationalize or make him out to be irrational in this sense, because he was absolutely correct, and everyone else in the industry followed suit. Requiring a stylus for basic interaction is ludicrous.

New app called paper from the ppl behind the courier looks like hot shit!
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/29/2909537/paper-drawing-ipad-app-fiftythree-brains-behind-courier

Not many apps really impress or inspire me from a UI standpoint, but this thing just blew my mind. So fucking beautiful and smooth. It actually does make me want to create, just by witnessing how gorgeous it is. It's the epitome of how a tablet app should look and behave, so fluid and animated, yet so simple. The sketch lines also somehow look nicer than in any skech app ive tried. Kudos to the team. I'll probably end up buying all the tools. If I were apple I'd snatch these guys up, they obviously know what they're doing and have talent up the wazoo. They're a small team so apple could strike a bargain. Would be nice to have a native app just like this one, as part of iLife. Twins is a fucking fantastic showpiece for the iPad and would impress anyone who sees it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This blows Apple hasn't shipped my iPad yet. Think I should stop being so lazy and just go to a store a get my 2% discount or whatever as well. Gr.

Plus side is I've been trolling this and the games thread and I've already bought/downloaded like 20 apps. Really do wish there was an iPad apps thread though focusing on good iPad stuff. Think someone tried it some time back before the iPad was as big and it didn't work out but I don't want to be commingling with those iphone bums and their tiny screens.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
God fucking damnit you just know that ad for paper was really supposed to be using the original courier concept. But showing EVERYTHING you'd do with the courier.

>< getting chills just thinking about it

This is obviously just wildly speculative but still

God fucking damnit you just know that ad for paper was really supposed to be using the original courier concept. But showing EVERYTHING you'd do with the courier.

If only Microsoft was half as good at actually getting products to market than making fancy demo videos.

numble

The iPad really looks too large for that actual use case. It would have to leave your bed, for instance.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the iPad is far too heavy for anyone to actually be casual when using it.

numble

It's a good ad to make the case for a smaller iPad--I am not going to be holding an iPad with one hand and sketching with the other hand while going up an escalator.

It's a good ad to make the case for a smaller iPad--I am not going to be holding an iPad with one hand and sketching with the other hand while going up an escalator.
Or a larger iPhone.

Holding the iPad one handed right now, it's not that bad; if it was significantly lighter I'd have no problems doing the things in that video.

Damn that andantech review was supremely enlightening, especially all the SOC stuff, seems they were pretty damn impressed at what apple pulled off with the A5X. And holy fuck at it having a 128 bit memory interface, 4x32. Pretty unheard of in this kind of low power form factor. GPU is a processing monster. They also confirm the iPad is CPU limited, which is what I suspected. Its why iPhoto can be a bit sluggish and unresponsive (relatively speaking, as it's still pretty responsive) compared to less intensive apps.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Paper looks really awesome! The guy in the video looked weirdly like Matt Damon...

Like others have said I'd kill for some kind of tablet with good battery life that works with pressure sensitivity and a fine point. (A Wacom-enabled iPad, at this point, being a 'never gonna happen' proposition) Going from my wacom pc stylus to one of those iPad nub things is like moving from a sharp pencil to a child's giant marker. There's really just no comparison.

Top Bottom