• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Quick

Banned
Is it normal for the browser to spaz out while loading a new page, or just at random?

While loading pages on Cracked.com, the bottom of my screen had a line of pink/grey/whatever that looks like some weird glitch.

While writing a reply, all of a sudden, I'm seeing the stuff I wrote on the left side of the screen in a box. I couldnt interact with it, and it eventually vanished.

On two occasions, a black box popped up on my screen while loading a page here. One long rectangle in the middle of my screen while loading this thread, and one on the bottom right corner while loading another thread.

I bought the iPad on the 17th. Is it too late for me to buy AppleCare for it?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Is it normal for the browser to spaz out while loading a new page, or just at random?

While loading pages on Cracked.com, the bottom of my screen had a line of pink/grey/whatever that looks like some weird glitch.

While writing a reply, all of a sudden, I'm seeing the stuff I wrote on the left side of the screen in a box. I couldnt interact with it, and it eventually vanished.

On two occasions, a black box popped up on my screen while loading a page here. One long rectangle in the middle of my screen while loading this thread, and one on the bottom right corner while loading another thread.

It still has a warranty - just take it back to the store.

numble

AppleCare gives you 2 extra years of warranty on top of the normal* 1-year warranty.

*Varies by country, but is usually a 1-year warranty.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
What defines whether the ipad keyboard splits fully or has the translucent grey background spanning the gap?

I've seen all these screenshots and videos of the split keyboard where they are separated, yet every time I try out the iPad in store it always keeps a translucent grey background there.
Landscape vs Portrait mode, you can also increase or decrease the size of the keyboard by further dragging apart.

Blackhead

Redarse
No, he said that a stylus shouldn't be the primary way to interacts with a touchscreen device in a universal manner. And he's absolutely right, I doubt even the creators of papers would disagree. I also doubt Steve jobs would have a problem with a stylus for use in a drawing/sketching app. Dnt try to sensationalize or make him out to be irrational in this sense, because he was absolutely correct, and everyone else in the industry followed suit. Requiring a stylus for basic interaction is ludicrous.

No, Steve Jobs said "if you see a stylus then they blew it." He was being intentionally sensationalist. You can claim that in private he might have added caveats but that's not what his public record is. He killed the Newton. When Apple showed off the drawing/sketching apps for iOS it was always with a finger. So, No, nobody is sensationalizing or making him out to irrational. He did that by himself.

Apple screwed up when I canceled my pre-order two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for my money. I called them and the rap was "so sorry" about that. After the call I got a mail from him, telling me I had a credit over 70 bucks for all the troubles. I'm thinking about getting a dock or a smart cover. Problem is, I don't actually want a smart cover and a dock would be nice, but I'm planing to get a back cover for the iPad and I'd have to take it off, every time I want to use the official dock (that's why I was actually looking for a good 3rd party dock). Any suggestions or should I just save the credit for the next iPad?

Apple screwed up when I canceled my pre-order two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for my money. I called them and the rap was "so sorry" about that. After the call I got a mail from him, telling me I had a credit over 70 bucks for all the troubles. I'm thinking about getting a dock or a smart cover. Problem is, I don't actually want a smart cover and a dock would be nice, but I'm planing to get a back cover for the iPad and I'd have to take it off, every time I want to use the official dock (that's why I was actually looking for a good 3rd party dock). Any suggestions or should I just save the credit for the next iPad?

Those official docks are way over priced. I found one on eBay for about $5 shipped from Hong Kong. You may be able to find one that supports a back cover too. Take a look. Invest the credit in a great case.

Those official docks are way over priced. I found one on eBay for about $5 shipped from Hong Kong. You may be able to find one that supports a back cover too. Take a look. Invest the credit in a great case.

I should have mentioned that the credit is only for the online store. And I really don't want a full case. I have this one for my OG iPad and stopped using it a week later. I'm using it now when I take my new iPad to work and it's sufficient.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Finding the smart cover isn't working quite as well as with the iPad 2. It's nowhere near bad by any means, but it doesn't quite feel as sturdy on the new iPad.

Was thinking of getting one of those canvas cases shown some pages back, anyone get one? My main thing is I want the ability to take the iPad out of the case when I am using it at home, I love how the device feels with nothing attached.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
That "Paper by FiftyThree" app really is nice...and what's so crazy is that it's so basic. For whatever reason I feel much more interesting in using it than something like Penultimate to get some thoughts down.

If I have to quickly sketch out something for people in a meeting now, I'll be sure to pull out Paper.

Wonder if I could get a great stylus that looks like a pen and pull off some kind of "executive with a pen on his ear" look around office. That way I look pimp and can whip out my stylin' stylus to crank out a quick whiteboarding diagram for people or something.

That's right...I'll only even consider using a stylus with any regular frequency if I can make it a fashion accessory first!

Finding the smart cover isn't working quite as well as with the iPad 2. It's nowhere near bad by any means, but it doesn't quite feel as sturdy on the new iPad.

Was thinking of getting one of those canvas cases shown some pages back, anyone get one? My main thing is I want the ability to take the iPad out of the case when I am using it at home, I love how the device feels with nothing attached.
What feels different to you about the smart cover on the 3 vs. the 2? Using the smart cover with my 3 feels pretty much identical as far as I can tell.

Barrett2

Finally got to look at one yesterday. Damn nice screen, though I think my expectations had been built up so much it felt underwhelming.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What feels different to you about the smart cover on the 3 vs. the 2? Using the smart cover with my 3 feels pretty much identical as far as I can tell.

I don't know specifically, maybe it's just me. I think the slight add in depth and weight to the 3 makes it a bit less stable to me, maybe I just need a new Smart cover. Although I do really like the look of those canvas cases.

Blackhead

Redarse
I should have mentioned that the credit is only for the online store. And I really don't want a full case. I have this one for my OG iPad and stopped using it a week later. I'm using it now when I take my new iPad to work and it's sufficient.

Apple has a bunch of third party cases and accessories on their online store. Couldn't you use the credit on one of those?

Zeth

Landscape vs Portrait mode, you can also increase or decrease the size of the keyboard by further dragging apart.

I can't change the size of the keyboard. Does it require a specific context? Also noticed the grey background extends across in both orientations in Safari but it is totally split in Spotlight.

Also in the split keyboard each side has an invisible column of keys toward the middle so if you go for a key that's split to the opposite side it still registers. Pretty cool.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I can't change the size of the keyboard. Does it require a specific context? Also noticed the grey background extends across in both orientations in Safari but it is totally split in Spotlight.

Also in the split keyboard each side has an invisible column of keys toward the middle so if you go for a key that's split to the opposite side it still registers. Pretty cool.

Yeah I remembered wrong, just that it changes size depending on how far you pull it upwards, fully split vs grey bg split seems to depend on the app, wether or not it has another function attached eg. Mail and the Safari URL entry is totally split vs the Safari Search entry has the "Find on this page" bar attached to it.

Soybean

Am I doing something wrong with the Fotopedia Japan app? These images are definitely not Retina resolution. Maybe I'll try the other ones. It's annoying they made 7 separate apps instead of just one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Get an iTunes card for app purchases.
Finally got to look at one yesterday. Damn nice screen, though I think my expectations had been built up so much it felt underwhelming.
Same. It was great but underwhelming after all that hype. I don't know what else I would have expected, though. It's fairly flawless otherwise.

Apple has a bunch of third party cases and accessories on their online store. Couldn't you use the credit on one of those?

They really don't have anything interesting. If only there was an official or supported stylus ...

On that note, I watched the Blue Tiger video for the first time and while the tech looks great, I'm disappointed that it still uses a fat capacitive nub.

Get an iTunes card for app purchases.

Now that's a really good idea!

GJS

Yeah I remembered wrong, just that it changes size depending on how far you pull it upwards, fully split vs grey bg split seems to depend on the app, wether or not it has another function attached eg. Mail and the Safari URL entry is totally split vs the Safari Search entry has the "Find on this page" bar attached to it.

Seems kind of stupid, is there any reason they didn't make it act uniformly across the system that anyone knows of? Surely they could just split things such as the "find on this page" bar as well.

dkeane

I like the Paper app but it needs the wrist detection that penultimate has. I can't use it because I'm used to having it.

RubxQub

Paper is missing a zoom-in and save to camera roll feature IMO.

You could always just take a screenshot of the screen if that's something they never intend to put in.

Just hold the home button and tap the sleep/wake button and it'll save your screen to the camera roll.

After a day of using my iPad 3 I'm completely blown away by how much faster it is compared to my original iPad. Loading websites is a completely different experience. I had about 20 apps that needed updating, my old iPad would have been sluggish through the process. The new iPad handled it all like a trooper.

The Retina screen is a noticeable difference as well. Can't wait to get more apps that take advantage of this beautiful display.

RubxQub

RubxQub

And the app costs? Or those 8 bucks are the whole package? Sorry couldn't find it in the app store.

App by itself is free and comes with the basic pen, pen.

So downloaded. Can't wait to use this all day, every day. What a gorgeous and incredibly simple interface. So far I've only bought the pencil and the watercolor, but I'm sure I'll cave on the felt tip marker soon.

Making the app free with in app purchase of tools was genius on their part. Most people will end up purchasing everything for $8. If I was Apple I'd snatch these guys up. They're fucking talented. The fact that I'm so blown away by it shows how little real UI innovation devs are putting into their apps. THIS is how a tablet app should behave.

plc268

I grabbed that synthetic leather case with smart cover from monoprice for $8.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10843&cs_id=1084313&p_id=8456&seq=1&format=2

It's a decent little case, definitely feels cheap though. Bought it as a stopgap until more companies put out new cases. I can confirm that the cover doesn't work to wake, but, I took a razor, made a couple of incisions and flipped the magnet inside, and superglued it and the felt back on, and it works great now.

Enco

Paper is great but can't see my self using it much without a stylus.

It's fun though:

imeDNx2AZNAYX.jpg

Yea, I'm no artist. Stickmen is my limit.

There are no bright colours though.

noah111

Still Alive
Paper is great but can't see my self using it much without a stylus.

It's fun though:

Yea, I'm no artist. Stickmen is my limit.

There are no bright colours though.
Might I say that I love how your tree looks like a camp fire with green smoke. :lol Actually looks pretty great, though! I DL'd it on my iPad 1 and it crashed on boot, twice. Haven't had the chance to try again.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Any way I can force to have screens open in landscape even though I keep the device locked in portrait? AirVideo does it so I know it's possible, just wondering if it's an option.

Enco

Might I say that I love how your tree looks like a camp fire with green smoke. :lol Actually looks pretty great, though! I DL'd it on my iPad 1 and it crashed on boot, twice. Haven't had the chance to try again.
Haha didn't see that at first. Was trying to be all artistic :p

It's actually a pretty great app. The fact that you can set your own covers is pretty sweet. I might (might) buy a pen just to use it. I'll have to find a cheap one that doesn't scratch the screen or anything though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I bought the essentials pack. It's fun. Been on the look out for a well designed drawing app.
I have such a crappy stylus though, my friend bought some of the 5 for 5 dollar ones on amazon a few months ago and gave it to me. REALLY want a Bluetooth 4.0 enabled smart pen that won't require a dongle. That ars article from last week was very encouraging about the future of stylus input on the iPad.

Blackhead

Redarse
The funniest thing about Paper is that it tries to sell you on the moleskin journal imagery while the app itself is landscape only. It's all style and no substance.

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah, I recently bought Penultimate and tried to make my own capacitive stylus. Needless to say I failed miserably. If I can find one somewhere, i'm definitely going to pick one up when I get my iPad 3.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The funniest thing about Paper is that it tries to sell you on the moleskin journal imagery while the app itself is landscape only. It's all style and no substance.

That actually reaaaallllly bugged me. Im sure they justify the design as its actually you drawing across two pages at once but nobody actually would do that with the seam in the middle.

That rewind gesture is a revelation though. Worth the price of admission just for that.

Does anyone have any recommendations beyond the bamboo pens? Any similar cheaper alternatives? I never once considered geting a stylus, and somehow this app instantly sold me on one.

Top Bottom