• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So with Paper is it easy to write notes on without a stylus? I was thinking of using it for my meetings during the day, since I can then email my notes to my work PC...

Interesting, but definitely way too involved. Don't want to have to plug in a receiver simply to use a pen.

The problem with not going this route is that capacitive pens are basically nubs, sorta like writing with a big fat piece of chalk since you need a minimum amount of contact area for touch to work. And that whatever software you use has to have excellent palm detection or you'll have to be very careful while drawing/writing.

A receiver-device like the iPen presumably just skips the entire capacitive interface, which solves both problems.

EDIT: There is actually a third problem - screen latency. Hard for me to say how the iPen works since I haven't used it, but even if you can draw just fine, the results will always lag noticeably on screen compared to what you are doing. That's another thing that opting out of the screen touch can fix.

kinggroin

Banned
For the last 8 hours or so, my iPad is stuck with a battery readout at 100%. I know iOS products last a while, but wtf is going on here?

I tried restarting, but still it remains stuck. Help!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
That iPen only works in their own app...is that right? I'm sure the stylus works in general outside their app, but that video makes it look like the app is required for active pen tracking.

Lame!

The Adonit Jot looks like the coolest pen to me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
iYP6ODxQbNHQ6.jpg
It always weirds me out when there isn't a robust color selection. Or is it just hidden away in the super minimalist UI?

That iPen only works in their own app...is that right? I'm sure the stylus works in general outside their app, but that video makes it look like the app is required for active pen tracking.

It's a third party device so yeah, app developers have to support it for it to work. I could be wrong but I didn't see anything about it working on the main iOS menus or anything.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You can also swipe between pages while viewing full screened pages. Which is super awkward because you end up triggering it when you want to make a line starting at the edge of a page.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah idk I just bought the whole pack for 8bucks. It's pretty lame otherwise.

The rewind feature completely changes everything about the drawing experience compared to other apps I've used.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Was out of the office today due to some routine tests at the hospital, but had to make a 2pm meeting. Thankfully, months earlier I managed to convince our IT staff to switch to Fuze Meeting for our teleconferencing, so I was able to join using the iPad client and the Verizon LTE modem I upgraded to.

The doctors graciously gave me a spare room to use for about 45 minutes before my actual checkup, and I'm still in awe of the speed and reach of this internet connection. I'm also very impressed with the Fuze client - it isn't as full-featured as the desktop (flash) client, but our developer's screen share came through crystal clear and the audio was great, even mine using the iPad's microphone.

Fantastic experience. The doctor's visit afterwards, less so ;)

Oh, and apropos the Dropbox conversation from yesterday, or was it two days ago. I managed to max out my Dropbox referral space of 8GB by the time I hit the half way point in the $100 Adword credit Google gave me. Now I'm using the remaining money to increase my brother-in-law's storage.

I had forgotten to register my account with my (still working) grad school email account, so I quickly went to their <3 EDU page and verified my university account - https://www.dropbox.com/edu

Immediately it doubled ALL my referrals, increasing my space now to 22GB of storage. I'm ecstatic and will be making extensive use of this to back up key files in earnest now :D

AndTAR

I like the Paper app but it needs the wrist detection that penultimate has. I can't use it because I'm used to having it.
Wait, wat?

.. Holy banoodles. Didn't even know it could do that. Brilliant use of multi-touch. Just a bit of a shame you have to disable multitasking gestures, now that they're slated to replace the home button someday.

So with Paper is it easy to write notes on without a stylus? I was thinking of using it for my meetings during the day, since I can then email my notes to my work PC...

Sure it's possible, but there's barely any precision for notes. Also, there's the fact that you'll look like an idiot writing with your finger. But thats secondary.

kr2t0s

Paper is terrible for taking notes. It's not bad for sketching out ideas though and even then there are way better apps.

For notes check out bamboo's app or upad or noteshelf.

Zeth

Google Search app updated for Retina. Always loved that page-swiping action. Kinda gimmicky since I'd use my normal browser usually, but it's a solid app for dedicated search I guess.

Laekon

Having a hard time deciding between buying an iPad or a HDTV. Currently have an iPhone 4 and a 35" Sony Wega. Most of my tv watching is Comedy Central, news, and Netflix streaming from my xbox.

Toki767

Having a hard time deciding between buying an iPad or a HDTV. Currently have an iPhone 4 and a 35" Sony Wega. Most of my tv watching is Comedy Central, news, and Netflix streaming from my xbox.

I'd go for the HDTV. The iPad is great, but it's just time to move on from CRTs.

Appleman

Paper looks BEAUTIFUL on the retina display, holy crap. Curved strokes also look really nice which I haven't seen in too many other apps, but I'm kind of out of the loop on that so I could be wrong

Chris R

Paper looks nice, just wonder how much it will cost. They should totally do a tie in with a pen company (buy the pen, get the ENTIRE app for free, since I saw IAP in the video there).

kr2t0s

From wall street journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303404704577312043639469540.html

Google to Sell Tablets on Its Own This Year
The Internet search company is planning to market and sell tablets directly to consumers through an online store, similar to rivals Apple and Amazon.com Inc., according to people familiar with the matter. The move is an effort to turn around sluggish sales of tablet computers powered by Google's Android software.

kr2t0s

When IAP pricing goes wrong:

Not that big of a deal but if if you buy everything separately in Paper you save 3 cents.
7.99 for all the tools or 1.99 x 4 = 7.96

noah111

Still Alive
^I would consider buying everything for $5 (or $6), but tbh I don't think it'll be worth it for $8.

It looks great, but the thing is it's not quite Penultimate nor is it Procreate. It's in-between those two apps, which i'm not sure is a good thing or not.

The simplicity will definitely cater to a lot of people, though.

Top Bottom