• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

giga

Great 1.0 product. I'm sure they'll continue to add in things like portrait support. The two finger rewind (and forward) is my favorite feature.

Xyk7N.png

japtor

After a day of using my iPad 3 I'm completely blown away by how much faster it is compared to my original iPad. Loading websites is a completely different experience. I had about 20 apps that needed updating, my old iPad would have been sluggish through the process. The new iPad handled it all like a trooper.

The Retina screen is a noticeable difference as well. Can't wait to get more apps that take advantage of this beautiful display.
That performance increase is why I jumped on the iPad 2 immediately...just wish new iPad had a similar jump, the same performance is painful sometimes.
Any way I can force to have screens open in landscape even though I keep the device locked in portrait? AirVideo does it so I know it's possible, just wondering if it's an option.
Rotation lock, either soft switch in the multitasking bar (swipe left), or you can swap it with the mute switch in Settings. (and in the case of Air Video, it simply doesn't have a portrait mode to rotate to)
It's a third party device so yeah, app developers have to support it for it to work. I could be wrong but I didn't see anything about it working on the main iOS menus or anything.
That's ultimately the main issue with any advanced third party stylus, particularly with that one where it won't work at all without the software support (whereas the Jot or Pogo prototypes work without it as just plain styluses).
The rewind feature completely changes everything about the drawing experience compared to other apps I've used.
I'd kill for that in SketchBook...although I'm not sure the app structure/performance could handle it. Need a faster iPad!
Apple almost certainly wouldn't like that.
I think Crayola did that with their stylus (which I think was Bluetooth and made by Griffin?).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I use the hardware rotation lock.. I keep it locked in portrait and want screens to open in landscape without requiring me to toggle the little switch. I'm assuming it's just not possible.

lol, actually wait, how do I set my my Mac to display 768x1024 rather than 1024x768 that would also solve my problem.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
That performance increase is why I jumped on the iPad 2 immediately...just wish new iPad had a similar jump, the same performance is painful sometimes.
a similar jump from the ipad 1 to the ipad 2 while doubling the screen resolution? Thats asking alot.

What are you doing that you feel that the ipad 2 or 3 is slow? Cause i have a 3, my GF has a 2 and i have a 4s, they are all great.
So good i notice a difference using coworkers brand new iphone 4, the menu scrolling feels sluggish.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You should b able to "hot key" open the first two items within a folder by tapping or double tapping with two fingers on the folder.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So since Apple keeps playing games with my heart and bumping up and now pushing back my ship date with no actual movement think I'm gonna break down and cancel and take some time out to go pick one up tomorrow. Stock is pretty good yes? Bay area here fwiw. Might even be tempted to get the 64 now that I'm seeing the size of some of these apps. Hmm.

Vyer

Seriously, every time I read a comic on this thing it's awesome; I'd almost think that alone was worth the price.

Also, I may have mentioned it before, but ABC's video app is great. They were really quick to jump on the retina upgrade and the streaming quality is outstanding.

Paper seems pretty cool, but I don't know that I'd use it enough to justify buying the add ins.

Quick

Banned
Seriously, every time I read a comic on this thing it's awesome; I'd almost think that alone was worth the price.

Also, I may have mentioned it before, but ABC's video app is great. They were really quick to jump on the retina upgrade and the streaming quality is outstanding.

Paper seems pretty cool, but I don't know that I'd use it enough to justify buying the add ins.

Reading comics are awesome on it. I think I was sold on the device with the screen. The Walking Dead looks really crisp on it. I'm currently re-reading Y: The Last Man, and the display really makes the scanned look more obvious, but that's not such a big deal.

I downloaded Paper, as well. It's definitely pretty cool, though I don't have much use for it. My cheap-ass stylus is sufficient, though I might actually invest in a better one for other purposes.

So since Apple keeps playing games with my heart and bumping up and now pushing back my ship date with no actual movement think I'm gonna break down and cancel and take some time out to go pick one up tomorrow. Stock is pretty good yes? Bay area here fwiw. Might even be tempted to get the 64 now that I'm seeing the size of some of these apps. Hmm.

You can order one to pick up in an apple store from apple's website.. seems like they'll hold one for you..

Vyer

Not without a good stylus.

Eh, I wouldn't use it much anyway so even what is out there now would be sufficient. But yeah I'd imagine any actual artist would prefer something different. App still looks nice though.

Paper should combine with Draw Something.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It still is really weird to me to come home and instead of head to the computer head to my big chair and kick back. I got halfway through opening my closet door and then was like "oh yeahhhhhh" I totally forgot about the iPad.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Whoo done. Went from 32GB white to 64 black for in-store pickup tomorrow.

The saga finally ends and I can get to using all the apps I've gotten the past few weeks. :D

NEOGAF DESKTOP SITE APP

Some changes
  • Updated tabs
  • Added Retina graphics for iPad,iPhone + future
  • Optmized images, header / footer is now 1
  • Fixed iPad initial zoom level
  • Fixed borders in ie7-8
  • Fixed ability to use 1Password

Are you guys seeing this? It's the same as always on my iPhone..

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OMG THEY FIXED THE ZOOM LEVEL?!?

brb gonna find some party gifs

I've been using the mockup site since last week and it's been great. You reading this racerxxx?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's the best! This is so great!

Though I am seeing some tab weirdness but that very well may just Be me.

Whoaaa that's not tab weirdness at all. There are TWO COMMUNITY FORUMS NOW?
now that's weird.

Yayy! Pad arrived yesterday! 1st time Apple experience!
The Apps are soo nice. Some things bother me:
- Can't put all the useless preinstalled apps in a folder or remove them...
- Why did I download iTunes and made a 200€-Wishlist if I can't even access it from the iPad!?? wtf
- No Widgets at all? Even the Weather app has to work with the lil red number and can't show negative temperatures on the homescreen.
- Can't even freely place apps or adjust the column number? Or have more settings, adjustment and customization in general...

But other than that it's pretty awesome! Heat is not really affecting me; recharging while using works well enough. And the apps! I bought it for them. There is a bunch of nice Musical apps on there!

Brera

Banned
My iPad seems to have a reddish tint at the bottom of the screen. I think it's colour or light bleed of some sort. Is this common?

noah111

Still Alive
Yayy! Pad arrived yesterday! 1st time Apple experience!
The Apps are soo nice. Some things bother me:
- Can't put all the useless preinstalled apps in a folder or remove them...
- Why did I download iTunes and made a 200€-Wishlist if I can't even access it from the iPad!?? wtf
- No Widgets at all? Even the Weather app has to work with the lil red number and can't show negative temperatures on the homescreen.
- Can't even freely place apps or adjust the column number? Or have more settings, adjustment and customization in general...

But other than that it's pretty awesome! Heat is not really affecting me; recharging while using works well enough. And the apps! I bought it for them. There is a bunch of nice Musical apps on there!
Sounds like you should jailbreak my friend. :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
My iPad seems to have a reddish tint at the bottom of the screen. I think it's colour or light bleed of some sort. Is this common?

Open up a dark image and turn brightness to its highest. That will show you if you have backlight bleeding. It shouldn't be red though.

japtor

Yeah I use the hardware rotation lock.. I keep it locked in portrait and want screens to open in landscape without requiring me to toggle the little switch. I'm assuming it's just not possible.

lol, actually wait, how do I set my my Mac to display 768x1024 rather than 1024x768 that would also solve my problem.
System Preferences->Displays->Display tab->Rotation
Not sure if it's enabled on all displays (used to be some lockouts before when they first added it) but it should be there.
a similar jump from the ipad 1 to the ipad 2 while doubling the screen resolution? Thats asking alot.

What are you doing that you feel that the ipad 2 or 3 is slow? Cause i have a 3, my GF has a 2 and i have a 4s, they are all great.
So good i notice a difference using coworkers brand new iphone 4, the menu scrolling feels sluggish.
Well "similar jump" was best case scenario, more realistically I was hoping for an iPhone 3GS->4 jump (just a clock boost) rather than none.

SketchBook can get painful at times, Numbers could stand to be smoother, Touch Draw when things get complex, basically productivity stuff, like the iPhoto part here in the Anandtech review (well music stuff could stand to load faster...but I suck at music so don't use them as much). A more common example would be just web browsing. iPad 2 was a huge improvement in speed (and the new one helps tab retention) but it could still stand to be faster on pages with more complex code.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh man, duh. Thanks.

but I think stocks for pickup are different from instore stock, if you get what I mean. There will be smaller number of ipads that can be reserved than the store will have - otherwise they'd have none to sell to people coming in.

See if they give you an immediate pickup date, and if not I'd still go down and try your luck. Give them a ring beforehand they'll give you an idea of stock levels.

edit: nm, saw you have pickup for tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
System Preferences->Displays->Display tab->Rotation
Not sure if it's enabled on all displays (used to be some lockouts before when they first added it) but it should be there.

noooo. Doesn't seem t be there could th fact that it's a laptop be the culprit?

japtor

Think you have to press cmd+alt or something at the same time
Hopefully this still works: http://osxdaily.com/2010/12/28/rotate-mac-screen-orientation/
Launch System Preferences
Hold down the Command+Option keys and click on the “Display” icon
On the right side of the Display preferences, look for the newly visible ‘Rotation’ drop down menu
Set the rotation you want, 180° flips the screen vertically
Close Display preferences to have the settings stay

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
When IAP pricing goes wrong:

Not that big of a deal but if if you buy everything separately in Paper you save 3 cents.
7.99 for all the tools or 1.99 x 4 = 7.96

Interesting, in Euros it's priced €1.59 per pen (€6.36) and €5.99 for the pack.

dkeane

Can anyone recommend a good screensaver app?
I'd use my photos as a slideshow but I use it a work and god knows what would come up.

I went to sit in the park for an hour yesterday whilst on my lunchbreak, ate my sandwhich and read some more Game of Thrones (CoK).
After just half an hour of reading ... MY IPAD WAS SUPER HOT. OH NO.

I'm of course, being 100% sarcastic - it was clearly the sun but some of the heat complaints I've read/heard do sound just as ridiculous as this

I've been playing with Paper a bit too and think it is kind of fun to play with, but would be better with a stylus. Any hands on experience with anyone using with one? I was at Marshall's department store last weekend with my gf and saw they had iPad Styluses there for like $6. Maybe I should grab one to mess around with Paper more.

My fear is that it'll end up being a novelty and I'm not sure I want to pay more for the different brushes, but I do think it is a nice looking app.

I went to sit in the park for an hour yesterday whilst on my lunchbreak, ate my sandwhich and read some more Game of Thrones (CoK).
After just half an hour of reading ... MY IPAD WAS SUPER HOT. OH NO.

I'm of course, being 100% sarcastic - it was clearly the sun but some of the heat complaints I've read/heard do sound just as ridiculous as this
The sun? If you mean it was the outdoor brightness causing the light detector to turn up the backlight to max, then you're right. If the sun really heated up your iPad that would be a much bigger concern.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've been playing with Paper a bit too and think it is kind of fun to play with, but would be better with a stylus. Any hands on experience with anyone using with one? I was at Marshall's department store last weekend with my gf and saw they had iPad Styluses there for like $6. Maybe I should grab one to mess around with Paper more.

My fear is that it'll end up being a novelty and I'm not sure I want to pay more for the different brushes, but I do think it is a nice looking app.

Pardon me for asking but what do you intend to use Paper for? Why did you download it in first place: you heard about it on GAF or TheVerge? It was free? It looked nice? It appeared fun (as a toy)? It appeared useful (as a tool)? Some, or all, of the above?

Pardon me for asking but what do you intend to use Paper for? Why did you download it in first place: you heard about it on GAF or TheVerge? It was free? It looked nice? It appeared fun (as a toy)? It appeared useful (as a tool)? Some, or all, of the above?

What does it matter? I'll admit that the fact that it was free was an incentive to download it, because I wouldn't have payed anything for it otherwise. It was also getting insanely hyped on every tech site yesterday so it was impossible to miss that this apps, which was also featured in the App Store, was out there.

I like the idea of a notes/sketch app like this one, I just haven't been impressed with the execution of them before this in large part because they don't work well a finger in my opinion.

That said, why does it matter why I downloaded it?

Top Bottom