• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Blackhead

Redarse
What does it matter? I'll admit that the fact that it was free was an incentive to download it, because I wouldn't have payed anything for it otherwise. It was also getting insanely hyped on every tech site yesterday so it was impossible to miss that this apps, which was also featured in the App Store, was out there.

I like the idea of a notes/sketch app like this one, I just haven't been impressed with the execution of them before this in large part because they don't work well a finger in my opinion.

That said, why does it matter why I downloaded it?
Well on one hand, it doesn't really matter. That's why I wrote "pardon me for asking". On the other hand there are many different styli and some are better picks than others if you intend to use Paper in a particular way. iPhone and iPad styluses compared. I have a jot pro (as well as a cheap nib stylus and a paintbrush stylus somewhere) and could demo them for you. Moreover if you're scared that it's a novelty and don't want to waste money then letting us know what you want to use it for would be useful if you're seeking advice. To be frank, I've used Paper with a stylus and it doesn't make it any less of a novelty. That might be enough for your needs though.

Sidenote:
I like the idea of a notes/sketch app like this one, I just haven't been impressed with the execution of them before this in large part because they don't work well a finger in my opinion.
I'm confused.

Well on one hand, it doesn't really matter. That's why I wrote "pardon me for asking". On the other hand there are many different styli and some are better picks than others if you intend to use Paper in a particular way. iPhone and iPad styluses compared. I have a jot pro (as well as a cheap nib stylus and a paintbrush stylus somewhere) and could demo them for you. Moreover if you're scared that it's a novelty and don't want to waste money then letting us know what you want to use it for would be useful if you're seeking advice. To be frank, I've used Paper with a stylus and it doesn't make it any less of a novelty. That might be enough for your needs though.

Sidenote:

I'm confused.

If a stylus doesn't improve it's use than it probably isn't worth for me to invest in one or purchase brushes in the app itself. I'll add it to my "Apps to keep an eye on" list and see how it evolves.

Sorry to confuse you.

noah111

Still Alive
I loved Paper in the general journal and pages sense. Creating journals with custom covers, as well as gesturally opening/closing and flipping through their pages, was great. The problem is just that it's quite lackluster in features. Granted i've yet to look into the add-ons, but the way line drawing works isn't too great for writing, imo (versus something like Penultimate, say).

This may be because i'm on an iPad 1, but the rewind feature didn't click with me at all. Felt quite slow and odd sometimes, not to mention not being able to go back too many steps. I like this app, I just don't see myself using it, or where it falls exactly. It seems too lackluster to compare/compete with either a notes app like Notes Plus/Penultimate, or a drawing app like Procreate/Sketchbook Pro.

It's off to a good start, though. Just wonder where it'll actually end up landing.

PS. @Greyface: have you tried out/looked into this comic app, "Comic Viewer"?; http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comic-viewer/id369599706?mt=8

It recently received a pretty huge update and i'm thinking of looking into it once they go retina and I get my new iPad.

v3 - FEATURES
• Fullscreen mode: A single tap automatically scales each page to fill the screen width
• Metadata: Add detailed information about your comics.
• Table view: Display all your comics in a scrollable list. Sort by bookshelf order, title, series, or genre.
- Search your library. Title, Description, and character fields.
• Page turns: Realistic page turning animations and sound
• Multi-page preview: View thumbnails of all the pages in a comic
• Bookmarks: Bookmark individual pages
• Custom sort order: Rearrange comics on your bookshelf in any order.
• Background choices: Page, white, black, gray, texture
• Stats: Details on your library, including total number of comics, unopened, finished; total pages, bookmarked.
• Landscape reading can display one or two pages
• Finished status, indicator lets you know when you've viewed the last page of a comic
• Reading status preference: Option to turn off display of reading status (e.g. Unopened, Finished)
• Stack count: displays number of comics a stack contains
• Translucent graphite theme: Less obtrusive tool bars and sliders, puts focus on the comic
• Manga mode: Set comics to read from right to left (applies to page turn and slider controls)

http://www.denvog.com/iphone/ComicViewer/

I'm intrigued.

giga

No i mean the pack is cheaper than the individual sum of pens in euro. Its the opposite case in us
But in the end, both the individual pens and pack are cheaper in the US. The difference is because they priced the individual pens 13 cents higher for euro folk.

Yeah, hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, but I found PAPER to be very lackluster, just too gimmicky and a novelty. It's not really a practical day to day, artist's or even as an "ideas" tool.

I spend $4 already on the Pencil and the Watercolor Brush, and I feel kind of ripped off and don't want to spend a dime more on the other two tools, sorry if I sound stingy, but this is coming from a guy who also just recently purchased Sketchbook Pro for iPad for $2.

Even at $5 Sketchbook Pro has so much more value than a two or three very limited, novelty drawing and painting tools at $4 - $6. Sure the sketch book part of Paper is kinda neat, but hardly worth it. I mean at it's free download state, it's just a glorified notepad app, that allows you to doodle and also "type" notes within different (natural feeling and looking) pages.

I guess I'm bitter, because I thought it would be a good artist's companion app for quick sketches, the video does a lot to sell you on that. But honestly it is not a good sketch book app for the artist on the go. For one, having more drawing tools would be a good start, also not charge each tool $2 would be another good start, and finally, give the brush I just bought for two bucks some options for Christ sake, like Opacity?? Size? Bleed? Pressure? Angle? Non of that exists, and that's a bummer for the "artists" out there. For the casuals though, I guess I can (barely) see the appeal of this app.

Blackhead

Redarse
If a stylus doesn't improve it's use than it probably isn't worth for me to invest in one or purchase brushes in the app itself. I'll add it to my "Apps to keep an eye on" list and see how it evolves.

Sorry to confuse you.

A stylus improves its use greatly, but it's not going to add any new features to this particular app. The app is a novelty with and without the stylus due to its lack of features like a wrist guard and unlimited undo.

Well could you explain that part that left me confused? What do you mean by a notes/sketching app that works well with fingers? (only fingers?!)

Reclaimer

Sketchbook Pro is noticeably less-laggy than Paper, which is an auto-win in my book.

I like the UI that Paper is starting to have, but the drawing needs to be far snappier, and have a handful more options.

LCfiner

I haven't spent any money on Paper. From what I've seen, it's definitely not a really robust drawing/ painting app. it seems to be aiming for the same kind of super simple, no fuss sketching that made penultimate so popular. that app had very limited options and thrived.

it seems that this recent hype for the app, and the general appeal of it, is based on the utter simplicity of it and some of the snazzy stuff they are doing with skeumorphic notebook pages. it has that "oh cool" factor and that's enough to get people to check it out. Plus the feel of the default pen and the rewind gesture is quite good.

I'd be happy if I paid a buck or two for that app as it is. If I wanted to do some semi-serious sketching, I would get Sketchbook Pro instead. (although I would not be surprised if a 1.X update to Paper adds brush options like size and opacity, etc)

From a guy who just burned $4 on a "pencil" and a "watercolor" tool in Paper, my advice is don't buy anything right now. That app should have a cheaper (package deal) in the soon future, the whole thing would be a rip off if it costed more than three bucks IMO.

I guess they are cashing in at the moment until the hype train slows down.

I'm specially disappointed b/c I posted the Paper Vimeo video on my Facebook wall sugesting my (artsy) friends that this is a neat new app for artists. Even got my old College Art teacher excited, he started to share the video through my page to 700 plus of his students (friends) on Facebook, and now all he is getting is comments like. "Have you tried Sketchbook Pro?" "Sketchbook Pro is so much better." etc. etc. Poor guy, I feel bad (guilty) :(

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sketchbook Pro is noticeably less-laggy than Paper, which is an auto-win in my book.

I like the UI that Paper is starting to have, but the drawing needs to be far snappier, and have a handful more options.

I already have Sketchbook Pro... what does Paper give me? I need to look into it. I haven't been following.

Enco

Paper is great but really needs some new features:

- The ability to cut pages from one notebook to another
- A copy and paste tool
- Different brush sizes
- A re sizing tool
- A moving tool
- The ability to move notebooks around

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

- A copy and paste tool
- Different brush sizes
- A re sizing tool
- A moving tool

All of these would make it so much more useful, as well as a damn portrait mode.

A stylus improves its use greatly, but it's not going to add any new features to this particular app. The app is a novelty with and without the stylus due to its lack of features like a wrist guard and unlimited undo.

Well could you explain that part that left me confused? What do you mean by a notes/sketching app that works well with fingers? (only fingers?!)

What I meant was that all of the sketch/note tools that I've used in the past have not worked well with my fingers. Sure you can scratch out some rough stuff but they weren't great for doing fine work and for taking notes they've all been horrible in my experience. I wouldn't mind trying one or two out if there are some that work well with a stylus and you can actually take decent notes with. While I love the iPad interface for 95% of the apps I use, using a finger to scrawl notes hasn't been effective at all.

giga

I just got my refurb Kindle Fire. The 7" form factor isn't too bad since it's far lighter and more portable, but holy shit the software is terrible. Android 2.x was already pretty terrible, but man, Amazon really took a shit on it with some of their UI decisions.

Don't get me started on the hobo town that is the Amazon App Store. Feels like I'm back in the webOS App Catalog.

- A copy and paste tool
- Different brush sizes
- A re sizing tool
- A moving tool

I was trying to figure how to change brush sizes this morning, SMH

kr2t0s

Although I know there are better drawing apps - hell I own sketchbook pro. There is something oddly compelling about Paper. I keep coming back to it and I don't honestly know why. The rewind feature is cool - and I really like the pencil/watercolor brushes.

Giga - I bought a kindle fire when it launched. Size is fine but it was a terrible experience. Returned it immediately.

Although I know there are better drawing apps - hell I own sketchbook pro. There is something oddly compelling about Paper. I keep coming back to it and I don't honestly know why. The rewind feature is cool - and I really like the pencil/watercolor brushes.

Giga - I bought a kindle fire when it launched. Size is fine but it was a terrible experience. Returned it immediately.

This app is going to have legs because it is a very sexy lookin app, like something apple would make.

This is 1.0, so after they are bombarded with criticisms, it believe it will get a lot better over time

Also, what was that paint app they were demoing during the conference?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking 8bucks was perfectly affordable for the app.

see5harp

The things I like about Paper is the really clean UI and the simplicity. I don't think it's intended to be an actual tool to compose art (although you can obviously use it for that). If you don't intend on ever adding watercolor to some quick mock ups for a layout then don't pay the $2. I think the in app purchases along with an easy way to try out a tool is brilliant.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It WORKS but it's not really as cool as I thought it'd be. I really wish there wasa way to force the app into landscape wirhout having to toggle rotation lock on/off.

Oops, dp. Just woke up.

You're making it sound like toggling it is a very arduous task Jtwo. :p

Yaska

Got fed up with waiting for local stores to get wifi versions so ordered one from Apple straight ( they estimate shipping in 1 or 2 weeks, local stores expect wifi versions on 30th April :/). Hopefully I will get my pad in week or 2.

Also I envy you who have yours!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there any chance someone could make an iPad apps thread? I'd really love to have someplace to go to JUST discuss apps and find good new and old apps pretty easily. Could even be a nice place to discuss iPad games though I know the main gaming thread is pretty great but it's sometimes hard to determine how suited something is for iPad.

Just throwing it out there. :D

Is there any chance someone could make an iPad apps thread? I'd really love to have someplace to go to JUST discuss apps and find good new and old apps pretty easily. Could even be a nice place to discuss iPad games though I know the main gaming thread is pretty great but it's sometimes hard to determine how suited something is for iPad.

I've been wanting this too.

giga

Best of iOS thread?

Heel

Agreed!

We've had iPad app threads before, both in OT and gaming. Neither stuck.

Ahhh.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh I know but market penetration of iPad is so much greater now I think it would. Also just my opinion I think it should be just one thread in the OT with apps & gaming. 95% of gaffers who own iPads care about both I'd say. Not even something to supplant the gaming thread just a nice central source of great iPad apps.

noah111

Still Alive

Well this thread covers it pretty well in app-discussion; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448523

I don't think an iPad-only apps thread could hold up since most of the apps talked about will inevitably be iPhone apps as well, making discussions cross over from both threads.

More people should post in that thread anyway tbh.

Doesn't mean we can't try again! I'll try and get something going tonight. I have nothing going on for the first time in weeks (tonight only unfortunately).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I dunno it's tough sometimes when there's some great app and you find out it's mostly jank on tablet. That and every time there's an app there's like 20 posts about HOW IS IT ON IPAD?

Either way I suppose, just throwing it out there. I personally don't really care about apps that aren't iPad optimized but I'm totally coo continuing to dig through this, gaming, and that apps thread if that's the way to go.

I dunno it's tough sometimes when there's some great app and you find out it's mostly jank on tablet. That and every time there's an app there's like 20 posts about HOW IS IT ON IPAD?

Either way I suppose, just throwing it out there. I personally don't really care about apps that aren't iPad optimized but I'm totally coo continuing to dig through this, gaming, and that apps thread if that's the way to go.

Also, Mr AstroLad, expect a Carcassonne invite from me soon. I'm going to purchase the app tonight when I get home. I don't know how to play though, so go easy on me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also, Mr AstroLad, expect a Carcassonne invite from me soon. I'm going to purchase the app tonight when I get home. I don't know how to play though, so go easy on me.

Ah yes, still my favorite iOS game and my guess is that will be even more so once I get my iPad today. :D (Even looks way better on my wife's iPhone 4 than my old Touch).

giga

If there's an app that isn't tablet optimized, then you should automatically assume it'll be shit on the iPad.

Really, the best of iOS thread already covers a lot of good iPad apps. And fuck combining regular and gaming apps in one thread. Leave that shit in gaming.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whenever I take my stylus out for drawing I inevitably end up just browsing the device with it for like an hour. It's a good dialing wand.

Top Bottom