• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Juice

Anyone who doesn't pick up AppleCare+ with their iPad is insane. Accidental damage coverage: $49 replacement. The replacement cost for something as minor as a chipped screen is usually about half the retail value.

Huh? It's a terrible deal. I only keep an iPad for 11-13 months and so I'd be paying $99 (1/6th the device value) to have the privilege to pay $49 (1/12th the value) in case I stupidly broke it? Something I've never done in the 8 or 9 iOS devices I've owned since 2007? No thanks, bub.

Not much talk about the fact that they boosted the battery capacity on this thing by 70%. There's a great article on Cult of Mac explaining how Apple's notebook line and iPhone will be seeing the benefits of this density tech later in the year. Pretty cool stuff considering battery tech is widely considered stagnant.
I'm a little concerned about charging too...

Also... does denser batteries been more violent battery explosions if something goes wrong?

railGUN

Banned
How does this work?

I don't exactly know, guys buy plans in bulk or something, and sell it for less... But he got me AppleCare for my Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, and all his Macs (he has like 2-3 minis and two Pro's). You just buy a number and use it online to apply the AppleCare.

FreeMufasa

Huh? It's a terrible deal. I only keep an iPad for 11-13 months and so I'd be paying $99 (1/6th the device value) to have the privilege to pay $49 (1/12th the value) in case I stupidly broke it? Something I've never done in the 8 or 9 iOS devices I've owned since 2007? No thanks, bub.

Me too. I don't think i'll need insurance. Although I do plan to take my iPad out a lot.

Thinnovation
The funnest iPod yet.

I actually mind that one alot less, because both are common words understood by everyone, and even in that combined context the meaning is clear. 'Resolutionary'? Much less so.

Also, interesting article I just read. Would be interesting to get some people's thoughts on this. Personally I feel seh's exaggerating a tad, but surprisingly I did raise an eyebrow at everything she mentioned- including that horrible pun, the name, and the logo, among a few other minor things.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/07/apples-press-conference-showed-a-brand-unraveling/

I think today’s Apple event shows that perfectionism fraying a bit around the edges. The bad pun, the goofy logo, the weird product name — all of it pointed to a leadership that either didn’t understand or didn’t care about consistency in iconography.

NYR

You can still buy it after you buy the iPad right or does it now need to be purchased at the same time?
How to get AppleCare+

- Pre-order the new iPad and add AppleCare+ to your cart during the checkout process.

- Buy it within 30 days of your iPad purchase (available March 16):
- At an Apple Retail Store (requires a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPad, and proof of purchase).
- By calling 1-800-275-2273 (requires proof of purchase).

border

Anyone who doesn't pick up AppleCare+ with their iPad is insane. Accidental damage coverage: $49 replacement. The replacement cost for something as minor as a chipped screen is usually about half the retail value.

It only seems like a good idea if you're used to paying Apple's outrageous repair fees.

A local shop around here replaces iPad screens for $150 flat. So if I break my screen, I pay $150. Someone buying Apple's insurance is going to pay $100 whether they break it or not, and an additional $50 if they do break it. The cost of breaking it is the same, the difference is that if I don't ever break it I've saved $100.

I don't feel like it's that hard to be careful with an iPad either. It's not like a phone where you're holding it in one hand and constantly taking it in and out of your pocket.

I actually mind that one alot less, because both are common words understood by everyone, and even in that combined context the meaning is clear. 'Resolutionary'? Much less so.

Also, interesting article I just read. Would be interesting to get some people's thoughts on this. Personally I feel seh's exaggerating a tad, but surprisingly I did raise an eyebrow at everything she mentioned- including that horrible pun, the name, and the logo, among a few other minor things.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/07/apples-press-conference-showed-a-brand-unraveling/

"Is Apple finally losing it?" is a fantastically cheap way to get hits that gets used immediately before and after every single Apple product launch.

http://mrgan.tumblr.com/post/18856965487/apple-and-the-universe-itself-are-due-for-a-fall

Cheebo

Banned

Thing is EVERYTHING that Apple does that someone doesnt like that person will instantly blame that on the lack of Steve Jobs and forget Apple did things they didn't like or badly when Jobs was CEO. Jobs wasn't perfect.

Just imagine if antenna-gate happened for 4S after Jobs died and not in 2010.

Thing is EVERYTHING that Apple does that someone doesnt like that person will instantly blame that on the lack of Steve Jobs and forget Apple did things they didn't like or badly when Jobs was CEO. Jobs wasn't perfect.

Just imagine if antenna-gate happened for 4S after Jobs died and not in 2010.

But Tim Cook's shirt was untucked. Antennagate pales in comparison to this blasphemy. Jobs would have never allowed it, and is evidence that the downward spiral has begun. If I had stock, I would sell them now before Apple is forced to liquidate.

nyong

Banned
Can it be transferred to another iPad? e.g. - when I pick up 4th gen next year....

There is a local place here that replaces damaged iPad screens for $149, so basically the same price for your first repair...

If you go through a third party, the device is flagged BER. No warranty and no out-of-warranty reduced replacement. And yes, if you get another iPad you can sort of transfer it...you can request a pro-rated refund for the remaining time.

Anyhow, yeah...the APP+ isn't cheap but it's well worth it. You have one month from the time of purchase to get it. Just keep in mind that you have to go through an Apple Retail Store if you don't get it at the time of purchase. Although you can still get the standard APP (meh) without accidental damage coverage any time within the first year.

rezuth

What do you want to know? I bet the people in this thread can help.
Hmm, you must have not looked at my thread creation. Nothing honestly i'm just saying that the OP should be more informative and keep up with the newsflow as it comes in.

What other info would you like in the OP?
Impressions from journalists/bloggers, update with newsflow like the battery information, speculation about RAM maybe, impressions of the new software like iPhoto, More nice images etc etc I mean there is endless of stuff that you could put there that would be good for users.

Wat. It's a reasonable question to ask. It's not like Apple products haven't been recalled before due to battery concerns...
I don't think they use Sony batteries anymore though.

Just trolling for hits.

nyong

Banned
How to get AppleCare+
- By calling 1-800-275-2273 (requires proof of purchase).

I work Apple tech support. Unless something changes, we can't sell APP+ over the phone. The option to do so isn't even in the system. Register it? Maybe...I haven't tried one yet. Agreement Admin will only do so if you're super far from the nearest retail store. Like, I've seen people be told they need to drive an hour each way. The reason being, they can do an evaluation for existing damage at the stores. We can't over the phone.

rezuth

I work Apple tech support. Unless something changes, we can't sell APP+ over the phone. The option to do so isn't even in the system. Register it? Maybe...I haven't tried one yet. Agreement Admin will only do so if you're super far from the nearest retail store. Like, I've seen people be told they need to drive an hour each way. The reason being, they can do an evaluation for existing damage at the stores. We can't over the phone.
But I can buy it online without bringing it in so why not over the phone? As long as the product is less than a year old you can buy it anytime and it just extends your current one.

nyong

Banned
But I can buy it online without bringing it in so why not over the phone? As long as the product is less than a year old you can buy it anytime and it just extends your current one.

I'm fairly certain it won't let you buy APP+ online, only at the time of purchase. Standard APP, yes. APP+, no.

Also keep in mind the battery replacement option. Use it a shit-ton within those first two years and there's a reasonably good chance that battery will fail. Free replacement with APP or APP+.

rezuth

I'm fairly certain it won't let you buy APP+ online, only at the time of purchase. Standard APP, yes. APP+, no.

Also keep in mind the battery replacement option. Use it a shit-ton within those first two years and there's a reasonably good chance that battery will fail. Free replacement with APP or APP+.

I missed the plus sign :) Yeah, it all makes sense now.

Barely a week left! I guess the shipment tracking madness will start early next week, lol. Always fun.

online_package_tracking.png

ido

I have been wanting a tablet for years now, but I wanted to wait for the industry to really hit its stride before dropping the cash. Preordered one of these motherfuckers about 15 minutes after preorders went up.

Having never had a tablet before, I am pretty goddamn hype.

woober

If i select in store pick up, will I be guaranteed an iPad on release date? It's not first come first serve for the stock they have if I do pick up right?

Pagusas

Elden Member
I ordered yesterday too (around 4 pm EST) and mine hasn't changed over.

I ordered yesterday at around 2:45pm Central time, and again today at 9am, and again at noon under a family members account for them. all 3 are still in processing.

Edit: Just refreshed the page, my first one ordered yesterday is now preparing for shipment :D

Capture-3.jpg

dkeane

If I got an Apple TV along with my iPad will my order take longer to ship?
I got my order in right after the store sort of started working and a friend who ordered later in the day already got his shipping notice.
I NEED IT!

LCfiner

Has this been talked about? Just found this now while browsing Apple Canada. Looks like Music got an UI overhaul.

V9Edx.png

sorry dude. that’s just the UI when you tap on the album icon in the top bar while in grid view.

good news is you can see it right now, if you like :)

3N16MA

Banned
Impressions from journalists/bloggers, update with newsflow like the battery information, speculation about RAM maybe, impressions of the new software like iPhoto, More nice images etc etc I mean there is endless of stuff that you could put there that would be good for users.

I will add some links of first impressions and some info about the RAM but I would expect most GAF members to do some research on their own. There is so much info and hands on impressions out there that I really do not want to flood the OP with 50 different links and images galore.

Zeth

So accurate. So how early did people get their orders in? I checked and I got my Thank You email like 2+ hrs after the keynote ended.

edit: Does anyone know what time they will be available at retail? If it's 10am/opening I'm gonna cancel and line up for one. Would much rather have it in my hands before noon (I can line up super early, and i'm off friday)

Editing Raw files on iPhoto iOS is worthless, it only manipulates an embedded Jpeg file with in the Raw. god damn it Apple give me pro level software already.

Top Bottom