• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Zeth

I was going to post "don't worry, lots of people are still processing. There's still quite a lot of time, no reason to fret"

But mine's now Preparing For Shipment so YEEEEEEE

edit: how to track your shipment from Apple Store app http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdixW8imK5c
not like you really need a tutorial, but why not

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If your order says still processing and not "preparing to ship" they are cancelling your order and blacklisting you so you can never buy an Apple product ever again. So be sure to check your statuses.

I heard this from Kotaku, so it is true.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
People say that the white bezel would be distracting on movies, but I never notice the bezel at all. I went with a white one after having a white Ipad 2.

Yup, I went with the 32gb white wifi too.

Fully expect Apple to post some insane sales numbers on this in the next few weeks. I think it's going to be the biggest-selling iPad yet.

Zeth

Black 32GB WiFi. Had a black iPad 2 and liked it. I like the white iPhone because it's actually colored on the back too. I feel like the bezel feels more natural being black, especially when the back is aluminum either way. But white does look really nice for a lot of things including web browsing.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I went with 16gb again. I refuse to pay Apple $100 for 16gb more of flash memory and I never had problems with 16GB last generation. $100 for 16gb is the most ludicrous thing in tech. And to think people bitched about the PSP memory prices.

noah111

Still Alive
So I was thinking about getting a bluetooth keyboard, but I have my MBP already and wouldn't mind setting my iPad above its keyboard and typing using my MBP.

Is there an application that can enable me to type on an iPad using a MacBook keyboard? Thanks in advanced.

Nitsuj23

White 32GB WiFi here as well. I like the white as a throwback to my third gen iPod and first Intel iMac.

Might regret not going 64GB with the high def videos. I doubt I'll ever be working on more than a video or two though so I should be good. Apple TV + iCloud videos is gonna be awesome. I can finally rematch all those old Sunny episodes I bought a few years ago.

Zeth

Lots of white iPads!

I'm happy with 32GB, seems like the sweet spot for me. Not worth another $100 for 64 because I can keep well within 32 with very minimal curation. I'm strangely excited to mess around with the camera, even though I have a 4S. Definitely going to up my iPhoneography game by beaming photos to the new iPad for processing :)

I considered 16gb as I never filled more than 10gb on my iPad 2 but went for 32gb to be on the safe side as it's impossible to know yet how much more space the high-def content is going to take up.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I considered 16gb as I never filled more than 10gb on my iPad 2 but went for 32gb to be on the safe size as it's impossible to know yet how much more space the high-def content is going to take up.

What high def content do you plan on storing on the Ipad itself?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Will the new Ipad be able to run video at its native resolution?

If so, does anyone have a link to a video that is at that resolution?

sfedai0

Banned
Will the new Ipad be able to run video at its native resolution?

If so, does anyone have a link to a video that is at that resolution?

Yea, I have a lot of 720p MP4 videos running at, I think 768X1024 primarily for my Touchpad. Will that run on the iPad?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So, plugging a usb stick into your computer, copying the files to the stick, removing the stick, plugging it into the iPad, copying the files over, unpugging it, then doing the exact same thing again, over and over, whenver you want to add/change anything with absolutely no syncing options is better than- just dragging files to dropbox and having them automatically sync to the iPad? Then just uploading the files to iCloud? Or using a myriad of other syncing methods, even direct wireless wifi transfer with something like good reader, or a thousands other apps that support this? I never understand people that demand for archaic paradigms that add no benefit except 'oh this is how I used to it do' instead of adapting to something that is much superior and flexible. The iPad will never, even have a USB port. So either accept that and utilize the myriad of other options available to simple transfer documents, or just forget about it and look for some other device.
I am not sure what 'utopia' you are living in but in the real world all those services require Internet access, which means that if you want access wherever you go your new paradigm will cost you somewhere in the region of $360 a year.

Chris R

What high def content do you plan on storing on the Ipad itself?

I'm going to use that space to store nice rips of whatever show/movie I want to watch. Of course I need to get a Blu Ray drive now though (might just wait and get that when I get a new computer).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm going to use that space to store nice rips of whatever show/movie I want to watch. Of course I need to get a Blu Ray drive now though (might just wait and get that when I get a new computer).

Even 64GB isn't going to be enough to keep more than a few blu ray rips though is it? Aren't blu ray rips massive?

ido

This is my first tablet ever, so the anticipation is pretty high. I went with the engraving, because I won't resell it(give to kids instead).

Someone here got something very similar to what I did on their engraving. I went with a little asoiaf and had "all men must die, but first we'll live" put on mine.

Black 16G wifi only. I will store nothing on it besides pictures. Streaming all the way for me and heavy browsing. Whenever the need arrives to need internet access outside of a wifi spot, my iPhone can create a personal hotspot for it. My carrier is C Spire so it costs no extra and is also unlimited. Thank fuck for such a small company getting the iPhone.

noah111

Still Alive
You're wrong! Real men buy white.
While white may look relatively good (arguably better) than black when in use, I can't understand how anyone could see white as sexier than black when the device is idle.

T2Ead.png

With black (and this is true of the iPhone/iPods too) it just looks so sleek and monolithic. Just a black slab with an aluminium backing. The screen, camera and sensors just disappears.

On a white iPad all that shit sticks out like a sore thumb. White is still nice, as it may garner more attention as "i'm different" if you're into that sort of thing, but personally it's not even a debate.

Don't get me wrong though, the white iDevices are beautiful, even the iPhone, but black is the way to go imo.

Future black iPad 64GB Wifi+4G buyer here, and if all they were to have is white on the shelf, i'd rather wait a week or two than buy that. :p

I am not sure what 'utopia' you are living in but in the real world all those services require Internet access, which means that if you want access wherever you go your new paradigm will cost you somewhere in the region of $360 a year.

You're absolutely right, it does. But I'm assuming, and this is a rather reasomable assumption, that someone working on documents from a computer and wanting to transfer that stuff to an iPad would be in a situation where they have internet access- it's not that far of a leap. And a statement like 'I won't consider an ipad until this can be done' is just ridiculous, because its expectations that any rational person knows will never happen. I'm not living in a utopia, and you don't need to use that condescending tone. My point was that there are many alternatives that could work. In this day and age most people who have an iPad have internet access-believe it or not. Quite a shocker, eh? The fact that this mere suggestion makes you accuse me of being disconnected from reality and living in a utopia says a lot about you. Maybe you're the one living in a cave? For that tiny, statistically insignificant niche that doesn't, Apple is not going to add ports to cater to their needs.

MercuryLS

Banned
I basically want a smart cover with stronger magnets.

The magnets are pretty damn strong, I can pick up the iPad with the smart cover and it doesn't come off.

You know, I wish the telecoms would give us a contract pricing option for iPad data. I would gladly sign up for 2 years if I could pay $10 for 500mb or something. I guess I could use flex data, but I don't like how the lowest threshold is 10mb ($5), you're automatically going to be bumped to $15 bracket...and in that case, it makes more sense to just go month to month on the device itself. Basically I want cheap data on contract goddamnit!

The magnets are pretty damn strong, I can pick up the iPad with the smart cover and it doesn't come off.

You know, I wish the telecoms would give us a contract pricing option for iPad data. I would gladly sign up for 2 years if I could pay $10 for 500mb or something. I guess I could use flex data, but I don't like how the lowest threshold is 10mb ($5), you're automatically going to be bumped to $15 bracket...and in that case, it makes more sense to just go month to month on the device itself. Basically I want cheap data on contract goddamnit!

Do the magnets scratch the iPad? This is what I'm paranoid about.

Top Bottom