• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I don't want to pay for spotify on the iPad, is there an equivalent?

The ipad rdio app is superb and purchasing the subscription on the ipad itself grants you a little discount.

Not sure about the song selection, though... I found Rdio's library to be extremely lacking, but i live in brazil and a lot of their songs weren't available here...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh shit. I didn't know Manga Rock had a followup app. Is it smooth? And does manga look good on the retina-display on the iPad?

dream

wpid-Photo-2012-05-17-1104-AM.jpg

Oh my fuck.

That shit should be rejected on principle.

Oh shit. I didn't know Manga Rock had a followup app. Is it smooth? And does manga look good on the retina-display on the iPad?

It definitely works better than the old app on my OG iPad. Much smoother. Can't say anything about the retina version, since I lost my third gen iPad a while ago, but according to a review, it's supposed to download the highest resolution scans available.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my fuck.

Oh whatever.
Do you know how horrifying stylistically iOS style applications I'd have to deal with when I used Android. It was insulting anytime I'd see someone recommend an app that used clearly ripped off iOS design templates or whatever and imply that "its good, its just like iOS!" UGH.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
iOS elitism? C'mon guys. I tried the app on my iPhone and it looks good and works smoothly. I expect it to be nice on the iPad too.

dream

Sorry, I'm with my Windows Phone friend brotkasten on this one. Dumping that Holo shit on iOS just shows that they don't respect their customers enough to design a UI that is somewhat consistent with the platform.

Oh my fuck.

And the same happened with TuneIn Radio 2.6. It's fucking terrible.
Oh whatever.
Do you know how horrifying stylistically iOS style applications I'd have to deal with when I used Android. It was insulting anytime I'd see someone recommend an app that used clearly ripped off iOS design templates or whatever and imply that "its good, its just like iOS!" UGH.
I know, but that's just fine, because Android will always be the second class citizen, when it comes to that. It's the new Windows Mobile after all. But this is like sitting in front of a nice cafè and the waiter, a former hobo, pukes on your $500 shoes, when he brings your latte. Not cool, man.

dream

Unfortunately, this is the future Dr. Eric Schmidt predicted when he proclaimed that all apps would be developed with Android as the lead platform by June 2012.

Cheebo

Banned
It's a toy and you're sane enough to realize that. Congrats.
And old school computer users called the original Mac with its GUI and mouse that was 100x simplier than most computers on the market a toy at the time too. What you dismiss as a toy is the future of home computing. Just like the dismissing of GUI based PC's with mice was then (some lovely quotes in particular from John C Dvorak back then that eerily mirror the tablet dismissing of today).

Vyer

I still like the iPad and am glad to have it, but the more I use it the more I realize its just not really optimal for, well, anything.

I don't really find anything better for sitting back on the couch browsing the net. Nor for laying in bed watching HBO Go when the wife has commandeered the TV.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there a laundry list of things to check if you feel like your battery is going wonky? Loving the battery life on this thing since launch up until recently.

On a Wifi iPad 3:
-Auto-brightness
-Auto-lock at 2m
-Bluetooth off

Probably just usage I guess but it just seems to be draining a lot more rapidly.

Is there a laundry list of things to check if you feel like your battery is going wonky? Loving the battery life on this thing since launch up until recently.

On a Wifi iPad 3:
-Auto-brightness
-Auto-lock at 2m
-Bluetooth off

Probably just usage I guess but it just seems to be draining a lot more rapidly.

Battery usually last me 2 days with good usage each day

MasLegio

Banned
I don't want to pay for spotify on the iPad, is there an equivalent?

http://hypem.com/ works in safari (playing in the background)

or the app which costs money
http://itunes.apple.com/se/app/hype-machine/id414315986?mt=8

TuneIn Radio pro is great otherwise if you are content with selecting radio channel and not tracks

http://itunes.apple.com/se/app/tunein-radio-pro/id319295332?mt=8

edit: also you are not paying for Spotify on the iPad, you are paying for premium which allows access to spotify music via mobile platforms. If you already are paying premium you already have access to spotify on the ipad.

It definitely works better than the old app on my OG iPad. Much smoother. Can't say anything about the retina version, since I lost my third gen iPad a while ago, but according to a review, it's supposed to download the highest resolution scans available.

Wow, so iTunes hasn't pulled that app yet? I wonder what is keeping Viz from a C&D. I mean, it's not directly hosting the content through the app, but...

If those manga app devs were smart, they would be building their apps into a framework and trying to sell it to publishers. The one already used by the big players is workable but probably nowhere near as advanced.

Wow, so iTunes hasn't pulled that app yet? I wonder what is keeping Viz from a C&D. I mean, it's not directly hosting the content through the app, but...

If those manga app devs were smart, they would be building their apps into a framework and trying to sell it to publishers. The one already used by the big players is workable but probably nowhere near as advanced.

It doesn't show officially licensed manga of your region, simple as that.

Web Developer's look at Diet Coda:

http://josephschmitt.me/post/23738549352/diet-coda

CONCLUSION

Diet Coda is great. Seriously. This app might not be your first choice to do serious work on (yet). However, if the only reason you’re taking your huge, heavy laptop with you on that otherwise relaxing vacation is just in case you get the 5-alarm-fire call from your boss because of a major bug that needs to get fixed RIGHT NOW (don’t they all?), Diet Coda and an iPad with an LTE/3G connection could be all you need.

I find myself reading more (Kindle) often on the iPhone than on the iPad. Not sure why, but it seems like an ordeal to read on the iPad. May be a weight thing.

I read a lot on my iPad, but I will certainly welcome a lighter 4th gen iPad. Weight and thinness are on my top priority list. Screw a 7.85 inch iPad. Make the one I have now dramatically lighter and thinner and I'm good.

LJ11

I'm willing to trade weight for battery size. If the 4th gen improves the screen's energy needs I would love for them to keep the same battery size. The weight/size isn't much of a bother, and I'd welcome more battery life.

New display tech making its way to iPad, says analyst

Apple's iPad could be getting Sharp's latest and greatest display tech after all, according to an analyst who spoke with CNET.

That technology would be IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide), which Sharp began volume production of in April. In that announcement, Sharp specifies sizes and resolutions that match or exceed the third-generation iPad's display.

"It looks like it's happening. It's in our published research," said Richard Shim an analyst at DisplaySearch. "That is, Sharp is supplying the IGZO panels for the new iPad."

Though Soneira remains skeptical that Apple is using IGZO right now -- citing rumored licensing issues that Sharp has with key display tech -- he did add, in response to an e-mail query today, that if IGZO is in the iPad, he would be eager to compare the new display with current iPads.

It wouldn't be unprecedented for Apple to adopt key technology after a product is released. Apple has been using an updated -- and unannounced -- updated A5 processor in the $399 iPad 2 that can deliver significantly better battery life than iPad's with the older chip.

RedAssedApe

Banned

I'm doubtful it shows up in the iPad 3 simply due to costs of the new display. Anandtech pretty much outlines why the iPad 2 A5 exists:

Apple decided to try out Samsung's 32nm HK+MG process on the A5 used in the 3rd generation Apple TV and some of the new iPad 2s. The former is a relatively low volume product for Apple, while the latter still moves in significant quantities. To deal with that fact, Apple is continuing to ship the original 45nm iPad 2,1 alongside the new 32nm iPad 2,4. Any hiccups in Samsung's production of the A5 and there are still more than enough iPad 2,1s to go around. The risk of moving to 32nm is effectively mitigated, while the learnings Apple gains from building the 32nm A5 will pay off later this year as Apple ramps up production of a 32nm SoC for use in the next iPhone. It's a very smart strategy, one you would expect from an experienced chip company - not a device vendor. When you consider that Apple employs chip architects who have worked on everything from the Athlon 64 to the Cortex A15, Apple's behavior is no longer that surprising.

Apple gets two benefits from the iPad 2,4: lower manufacturing costs, and experience with Samsung's 32nm HK+MG process which it will later use in much greater volumes. What about customers who end up with an iPad 2,4? Better battery life and cooler operation, of course.

It's whatever you want it to be. Mine replaced my laptop easily which makes it substantially more than 'a toy' to me.

I use my iPad more than my phone or notebook and almost as much as my PC at home. But only because it does the simple things better than those devices and I don't always need or want 3 screens in my face.

Doesn't mean it's more than a toy to me.

SmokyDave

I use my iPad more than my phone or notebook and almost as much as my PC at home. But only because it does the simple things better than those devices and I don't always need or want 3 screens in my face.

I'm cool with that, as I said, it's whatever you want it to be.

People get more slack around here for calling gaming consoles "Toys".

Not everyone here uses their computers for After Effects, Maya, Final cut... Combustion, Flash, Photoshop...C+++.. etc. etc. to get through the day: To most, the deepest "computing" activity is those exact "simple things" you are talking about, so I do agree with you there, and I also agree that most people use the iPad for social, fun and entertainment purposes, but they also use their home computers and laptops for the same reasons, so you might as well call all personal computers toys...

It's how much we get out of these things that defines their purpose as toys or something more, but not the actual hardware itself.

Just realized I made the exact same point as Smokey did, but in a more winded, blabbering sort of way.

Not everyone here uses their computers for After Effects, Maya, Final cut... Combustion, Flash, Photoshop...C+++.. etc. etc. to get through the day: To most, the deepest "computing" activity is those exact "simple things" you are talking about, so I do agree with you there, and I also agree that most people use the iPad for social, fun and entertainment purposes, but they also use their home computers and laptops for the same reasons, so you might as well call all personal computers toys...

It's how much we get out of these things that defines their purpose as toys or something more, but not the actual hardware itself.

Just realized I made the exact same point as Smokey did, but in a more winded, blabbering sort of way.

Switched to console gaming. I haven't turned on my desktop in 3 weeks. It's a 850 dollar dust magnet. The new MBP line is goin to be tempting.

Cheebo

Banned

Macs were called toys when it came out with a GUI and a mouse by computer geeks who thought having a gui and a mouse to click on things was way too simple and not a "real" computer but just a expensive toy. A real computer you did everything at the command line with just a keyboard, this was just a toy.

Sound familiar?

Macs were called toys when it came out with a GUI and a mouse by computer geeks who thought having a gui and a mouse to click on things was way too simple and not a "real" computer but just a expensive toy. A real computer you did everything at the command line with just a keyboard, this was just a toy.

Sound familiar?

The difference is, you could actually get work done on a Mac.

LCfiner

I do find it interesting what some people consider work and what tools are considered necessary for work.

sometimes, my work involves heavy duty CAD and a bunch of window management.

but, on other days (and these days may end up accomplishing more important work for my company than the CAD heavy days) all I need to do my job is access to email, a pdf viewer and a calculator. maybe a spreadsheet.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any blackberry or symbian phone of today can do more than the first Mac. What's the point with all these mental gymnastics? Get rid off your Mac/PC and use the iPad as your sole computer and these assertions about productivity might merit more attention.

Incidentally I'll be trying that for a bit. Selling off my MBA this weekend in anticipation of retina displays the following week.

Haha. Ironic, since you can do far more on an iPad than you ever could on an original Mac, or any Mac of that decade. It's light years ahead in productivity.

Haha, ironic indeed. It's a shame that PC capabilities didn't evolve at all and we had to wait almost 30 years for some changes.

SmokyDave

It's 2012 and we're still discussing whether the iPad is viable for anything other than media consumption. Isn't it boring yet?

It's obvious that some people could never replace their laptop / desktop with an iPad and it's obvious that some can. It's obvious that some tasks are less efficient on the iPad and it's obvious that some tasks are more efficient on the iPad.

In my area (dentistry), I've seen a pretty damned high uptake for the iPad, used in conjunction with desktop PCs. Whether that's because they're the best tool for the job or whether that's because they're the new hotness, I honestly don't know. Nor do I care.

I'm gobsmacked that there is still a pervasive feeling that they're nothing more than a 'toy' though. That ceased to be true about 3 weeks after the first iPad launched. Hell, Damon Albarn wrote a bloody album on one!

I'm gobsmacked that there is still a pervasive feeling that they're nothing more than a 'toy' though. That ceased to be true about 3 weeks after the first iPad launched. Hell, Damon Albarn wrote a bloody album on one!

Rumor has it Johny Greenwood used the original Game Boy to produce half of the sounds in Pablo Honey, what next? you gonna tell me Game Boy is not a toy?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Just got my new iPad. Black, 16GB Wi-Fi. I went from an iPad 1 to this. It's so nice...the hardware is great.

Time to jailbreak, then on to customizing and getting DEM APPS.

kr2t0s

Question of iPad/Apple GAF:

My wife has a PDF she received from her work. She wants to edit the actual PDF - rearrange a paragraph, add in sentence, etc. Not annotate it or read it or add comments, but actually change the PDF.

Whats the best way to do this (assuming it can be done) on iPad?

I did look in the app store but all the big pdf apps i could think of (PDF Pen for example) all seemed to be more about taking notes on top of the PDF which is not what I need.

numble

You'd have trouble doing that also on a PC. If the text can be copied/pasted and put in a word processor, I'd try that.

Top Bottom