• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Also want to point out, Edge mag updated again and it's honestly amazing. It's completely interactive with animations on every page and sound with built in videos and screen shot slides. Seriously a shit ton of work must of went into the latest issue and with every issue hence forth. The 1 year subscription was 100% worth it.

Edit: this is what I envision digital magazines to be

Blackhead

Redarse
Question of iPad/Apple GAF:

My wife has a PDF she received from her work. She wants to edit the actual PDF - rearrange a paragraph, add in sentence, etc. Not annotate it or read it or add comments, but actually change the PDF.

Whats the best way to do this (assuming it can be done) on iPad?

I did look in the app store but all the big pdf apps i could think of (PDF Pen for example) all seemed to be more about taking notes on top of the PDF which is not what I need.
It can't be done with any of the iPad PDF apps available but it's no trouble if she sets up a PC and has a cellular iPad. Either set up her own computer and connect over VNC or try one of the virtual desktop apps with Adobe Reader e.g. CloudOn and OnLive Desktop (the editing in CloudOn is restricted at the moment and I haven't tried OnLive desktop)

LCfiner

Also want to point out, Edge mag updated again and it's honestly amazing. It's completely interactive with animations on every page and sound with built in videos and screen shot slides. Seriously a shit ton of work must of went into the latest issue and with every issue hence forth. The 1 year subscription was 100% worth it.

I just downloaded the sampler issue. Much, much easier to read on the iPad than the old one that was sized for much larger paper sizes.

Its still a big download because of the videos but I already prefer it to the adobe published mags as the text in the edge magazine is real system text. You can select it, copy it. It should be available to the system accessibility features like voice over...

Nice job. I can support that kind of effort with an iPad subscription.

Blackhead

Redarse

Is this sampler really potrait only or am I doing it wrong?

I thought it was a lot like Wired's iPad version, only slower. The animations really seem like they're trying a bit to hard, even if they're wonderfully designed. Formatting the articles for the tablet screen is nice though. Although the problem has been mitigated a bit with the readability of the new iPad, I prefer not having to pan and scan columns to fit the screen.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I thought it was a lot like Wired's iPad version, only slower. The animations really seem like they're trying a bit to hard, even if they're wonderfully designed. Formatting the articles for the tablet screen is nice though. Although the problem has been mitigated a bit with the readability of the new iPad, I prefer not having to pan and scan columns to fit the screen.

Oh man downloading now. I was digging the image quality in the app and the navigation was OK but the Conde Nast apps have spoiled me. Glad to see Edge is really taking it seriously.

Hey can someone explain to me how the GPS suppose to work on the iPad, I have a WiFi model only, and on the Apple's site it says the native Map and other Location dependent apps use the combination of everything apparently, meaning (Cellular network, wifi and built in GPS) I thought the GPS alone should be enough. I want to make sure nothing's wrong with my iPad (hardware) since I can't get the Map app to find my location, even on tethered wifi from my iPhone. (works from home wifi for some reason) also the Navigation app, Navigon cannot find me, that app is no good either, weather I tethered wifi with my phone or not.

Hmmm.

Hey can someone explain to me how the GPS suppose to work on the iPad, I have a WiFi model only, and on the Apple's site it says the native Map and other Location dependent apps use the combination of everything apparently, meaning (Cellular network, wifi and built in GPS) I thought the GPS alone should be enough. I want to make sure nothing's wrong with my iPad (hardware) since I can't get the Map app to find my location, even on tethered wifi from my iPhone. (works from home wifi for some reason) also the Navigation app, Navigon cannot find me, that app is no good either, weather I tethered wifi with my phone or not.

Hmmm.

There's no GPS on the WiFi-only model. GPS is part of the 3G hardware, iirc.

LCfiner

Hmmm.

yeah, you need GPS for navigon. at least, i do on my phone. when i only have approximate location based on wifi or cell towers, it doesn’t “lock on”. it needs the higher accuracy of the GPS.

unlike most other apps that just need an approximate location to show you nearby stores. those work OK on the wifi ipad.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
errr yeah, meant to say location not gps.

in unrelated news, edge app is awesome. man i really hope retro gamer does something like this

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Is there a good browser that has finger gestures? Swiping back on pages or between tabs would be nice.

Also, Snapseed is free this week, that app is good.

Not a fan of that sampler issue at all. The animations are overdone and in most cases don't add anything except a delay. The whole experience is really clunky on my iPad 3. Backing out of videos will inexplicably send me 3-4 pages back. This is especcially annoying when those pages i have to backtrack through are like the Journey or Eve Online sections where one "page" is 2 or 3 swipes. Certain pages will override my audio playing just by opening them.

I really do prefer reading things on my iPad over any other digital or physical format, but magazine publishers are sure struggling to find their place in the digital future (present). More media is part of the answer, but they've got to do a better job of implementing it than they have here. I wish they would think more about how to make the reading experience better. Take better advantage of the dynamic format to give readers some control over content formatting. Services like Instapaper and Readability are popular because people want to get to the meat of the article without suffering through distractions. Edge is going in the opposite direction and it feels bad.

Who is interested in a 7.85 inch iPad at 1024x768? A 160ish ppi doesn't seem to be ideal at that size. Not sure how a 2048x1536 would be technically feasible at that size (battery, etc).

Just sort of curious...maybe some wouldn't mind a 160ish ppi...I don't know. iMore seems pretty confident in a October release.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, the PPI isn't that big of deal. I use my friends iPad1 all the time at his house and the screen is fine.
You know, its like the iPod touch or something. Once you can get out of the Applestore with an iPad for the price of an iPod touch things will really get interesting.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The new iPad's screen is great and I certainly didn't want an iPad pre-retina, but from a utilitarian standpoint the old screen is perfectly fine. Hey man, I know I'm not the only one noticing pixels in iBooks even on the new iPad.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Come on, I'm the king of hyperbole but its really not THAT bad. Maybe its that the new retina screen isn't THAT good. I don't know. I realize I spend ~85% of my time viewing retina-class screens anyway. But the times I don't my first thought is never "ewwwww, the screen is so bad."

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not a fan of that sampler issue at all. The animations are overdone and in most cases don't add anything except a delay. The whole experience is really clunky on my iPad 3. Backing out of videos will inexplicably send me 3-4 pages back. This is especcially annoying when those pages i have to backtrack through are like the Journey or Eve Online sections where one "page" is 2 or 3 swipes. Certain pages will override my audio playing just by opening them.

I really do prefer reading things on my iPad over any other digital or physical format, but magazine publishers are sure struggling to find their place in the digital future (present). More media is part of the answer, but they've got to do a better job of implementing it than they have here. I wish they would think more about how to make the reading experience better. Take better advantage of the dynamic format to give readers some control over content formatting. Services like Instapaper and Readability are popular because people want to get to the meat of the article without suffering through distractions. Edge is going in the opposite direction and it feels bad.

Were you a big user of the old version? Because I was recently and this is waaaay better from a readability standpoint. I mean don't get me wrong i totally loved zooming and moving around what was basically a pdf just to read stuff and non-interactive toc and the like but.

Sure could iron out a few kinks but this is definitely a move in the right direction. I hope to see the animations tightened up a bit as well as the video and pic sets better integrated into the mag itself.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Come on, I'm the king of hyperbole but its really not THAT bad. Maybe its that the new retina screen isn't THAT good.

Yeah, that's what it is. The new retina screen is a much nicer screen than the original but it still isn't to the point of indiscernable pixels.

Cheebo

Banned
It isn't just retina but the specs in a so called iPad Mini very likely will also be a few steps below the third gen iPad to get that 200-300 price range. For myself it is not worth scaling back on virtually every aspect of the intenals of the iPad (plus the retina display) just to get a smaller device.

If it is in that price range it's going to be huge though, easily the best selling iPad model. The current iPad model will end up being the more "Pro" version.

Blackhead

Redarse
Were you a big user of the old version? Because I was recently and this is waaaay better from a readability standpoint. I mean don't get me wrong i totally loved zooming and moving around what was basically a pdf just to read stuff and non-interactive toc and the like but.

Sure could iron out a few kinks but this is definitely a move in the right direction. I hope to see the animations tightened up a bit as well as the video and pic sets better integrated into the mag itself.
I'm a big reader of the old version and this is in NO WAY better from a readability standpoint. Magazines are not games, they aren't textbooks, so I don't know where the industry got it into their heads that all this interactivity stuff is necessary. I just want the content dammit. The animations are slow; I missed the Chrome story the firet time through because I assumed it was just some ad before the animation delivered the content. There is only one clever use of the animation -- the celebrity pictures and the games they play -- and all the rest are frivolous, I shouldnt have to tap a tiny-ass button just to see the captions. Tellingly that's the only text you can copy while the body of the main articles are still off limits. The sampler has all these lovely pictures but never uses the full screen to show them. I have to squint each goddam time. I'll stick to the Zinio with its simple linearity and save the videos for and extra content for when I vist websites.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm a big reader of the old version and this is in NO WAY better from a readability standpoint. Magazines are not games, they aren't textbooks, so I don't know where the industry got it into their heads that all this interactivity stuff is necessary. I just want the content dammit. The animations are slow; I missed the Chrome story the firet time through because I assumed it was just some ad before the animation delivered the content. There is only one clever use of the animation -- the celebrity pictures and the games they play -- and all the rest are frivolous, I shouldnt have to tap a tiny-ass button just to see the captions. Tellingly that's the only text you can copy while the body of the main articles are still off limits. The sampler has all these lovely pictures but never uses the full screen to show them. I have to squint each goddam time. I'll stick to the Zinio with its simple linearity and save the videos for and extra content for when I vist websites.

I thought the old app was wack thanks to having to zoom in and read on every page (seriously, this is completely unacceptable and much more of an issue than slow animations) and also the total lack of interactivity in the ToC and the like. As I said, there are definitely improvements to be made and I pretty much agree with all your nits but better interactivity and text formatted to be readable sans zoom are both big steps in the right direction, even if some of the other stuff is still a bit clunky.

All these apps though really show you the limitations of apps as well. Hate not being able to get definitions, easily copy text, send to Instapaper, bookmark stuff, etc. Obviously some of this is by design ("protecting content" within an app) but I hope that app devs even if they don't want to integrate with the broader ecosystem at least consider how they're going to replace functionality lost from simple web reading (like Retro Gamer has kind of a neat sharing functionality).

Blackhead

Redarse
I thought the old app was wack thanks to having to zoom in and read on every page (seriously, this is completely unacceptable and much more of an issue than slow animations) and also the total lack of interactivity in the ToC and the like. As I said, there are definitely improvements to be made and I pretty much agree with all your nits but better interactivity and text formatted to be readable sans zoom are both big steps in the right direction, even if some of the other stuff is still a bit clunky.

All these apps though really show you the limitations of apps as well. Hate not being able to get definitions, easily copy text, send to Instapaper, bookmark stuff, etc. Obviously some of this is by design ("protecting content" within an app) but I hope that app devs even if they don't want to integrate with the broader ecosystem at least consider how they're going to replace functionality lost from simple web reading (like Retro Gamer has kind of a neat sharing functionality).
Don't you have an iPad 3?!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Don't you have an iPad 3?!

I do, text is too small though. I can physically read it but I read so much I don't want the extra eyestrain caused by most of the layouts. Spoiled by instapaper and the VF, New Yorker, and actually most decent Newsstand apps.

Blackhead

Redarse
I do, text is too small though. I can physically read it but I read so much I don't want the extra eyestrain caused by most of the layouts. Spoiled by instapaper and the VF, New Yorker, and actually most decent Newsstand apps.
Ahh I see. Well I don't like the New Yorker and those other apps. I mean like the content but why are they making me work so hard to read the damn thing?! The new Edge app has multiple scrollable views in each and every page. Even when there is no extra content to be read you can still flick the text and watch it bounce around in those views. WTF.

I'd prefer a simple landscape app, flips pages like a book, expand content (text, images, video) to fullscreen when needed. High information density and light on the interactivity. I'm not interested in playing with the articles--reading is fine.

mojiimbo

Speaking of magazines, anyone have any opinions on the Empire magazine app? I saw that they finally put it up on the U.S. store this week and IIRC it was only $20 for a yearly sub(which is great considering a single issue costs like $10 at Barnes and Noble) so I'll probably get it next time someone runs a special on $20/$25 iTunes cards.

Quixzlizx

So, I had some Apple store gift cards, including ones I cashed in rewards points for, and the iPad I just ordered is my first exposure to the Apple ecosystem.

1. Do I have to buy Apple branded accessories, or are there good alternatives for, say, the HDMI cable without having to pay $39?

2. Is there a good weighted keyboard dock or BT keyboard + case available? I'm not necessarily looking for Asus Transformer level utility, but I'd like to at least be able to have the iPad + keyboard in a netbook position without it being top-heavy and falling over. If this is completely unavailable, what are some good cases?

3. Are there overwhelming favorites for basic apps such as:
-Browser
-Comic/Manga reader (with rar/zip archive support)
-IRC client
-IM (AIM/etc) client
-RSS newsreader
-mp3/FLAC player (I'm guessing Music/iTunes)
-Video player

4. How easy is it to copy and manage music/videos over to the iPad without having to install iTunes on my Windows PC?

Thanks for your answers/recommendations.

It really pisses me off that I can't charge and use my iPad at the same time.

I'll get to 20% battery and plug it in but it'll still drain.

Yes.

If I'm using it and charging it, it still drains.

It must sit undisturbed or else it doesn't charge.

I haven't tried above 20% but I'd assume it's the same.

dream

What are you doing with it while it charges? Mine drains if I'm playing games but it keeps charging if I'm doing anything else.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was just at a stoplight and I saw an old ~65year old man juggling an iPad against the steering wheel. Earbuds in and everything, not paying attention.

The future is now, folks.

uOsS8l.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thats the right one, the dinky iPhone one doesn't work at all. I don't even charge my iPhone with it.

MasLegio

Banned
Thats the right one, the dinky iPhone one doesn't work at all. I don't even charge my iPhone with it.

old iphone loaders chargers look like that as well, and iphone chargers do work with new ipad but very slowly
ipad chargers should have text on them that says 10w USB Power adapter

Apple-iPad-Charger.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think in the old pre iOS days the iPod chargers were even bigger.

mrkgoo

I think in the old pre iOS days the iPod chargers were even bigger.
There was a bigger one for the iPods back in the day, but there's one identical to the iPad one now. It comes with iPhones that are sold outside of the US and Japan. Those dinky little ones are only for those regions.

Anno

Since this is ostensibly a videogame forum, has anyone else checked out Edge's new interactive iPad issues? Nothing until now has made me want to read a magazine on an iPad, nor upgrade to a newer model that isn't so easily crippled. The "preview" edition, which is still damned long and nice, is free, so check it out!

Hey guys, should I be concerned about the GPS performance of my (Wifi Only) iPad 3?

Without Wifi, Maps app doesn't work, quite inaccurate with location...I guess it makes sense that it doesn't load the maps without Wifi, since it needs the internet to connect to Google maps of my surroundings? right?

with phone tethered Wifi, it does load the maps (barely) but it doesn't pin point my location at all, it's about 40-45 feet off! (it is only accurate on a strong home Wifi signal)

The two apps I tested is Maps (the native Maps App) and Navigon,

Compared to my iPhone 4, again without cellular data and Wifi, Maps can't/wont load the Maps, tries to locate me at least, but amazingly Navigon works great without cellular data or Wifi, I think it still uses some of the cellular network, since I turned off 3G and Wifi, but I still had 4 bars of cell reception.

Sorry if I am losing everyone here, but is it normal for the iPad 3 to have weaker GPS or , that is not the case at all, and in fact the only way my iPhone seems to be a lot more accurate with locating me and GPS signals in general is becasue of the help of cell phone towers and the constant cell reception? the feature that my iPad lacks?

Long story long, I just want to try to use my (wifi only) iPad 3 as a GPS navigation system with Navigon, is that not happening?

numble

Hey guys, should I be concerned about the GPS performance of my (Wifi Only) iPad 3?

Without Wifi, Maps app doesn't work, quite inaccurate with location...I guess it makes sense that it doesn't load the maps without Wifi, since it needs the internet to connect to Google maps of my surroundings? right?

with phone tethered Wifi, it does load the maps (barely) but it doesn't pin point my location at all, it's about 40-45 feet off! (it is only accurate on a strong home Wifi signal)

The two apps I tested is Maps (the native Maps App) and Navigon,

Compared to my iPhone 4, again without cellular data and Wifi, Maps can't/wont load the Maps, tries to locate me at least, but amazingly Navigon works great without cellular data or Wifi, I think it still uses some of the cellular network, since I turned off 3G and Wifi, but I still had 4 bars of cell reception.

Sorry if I am losing everyone here, but is it normal for the iPad 3 to have weaker GPS or , that is not the case at all, and in fact the only way my iPhone seems to be a lot more accurate with locating me and GPS signals in general is becasue of the help of cell phone towers and the constant cell reception? the feature that my iPad lacks?

Long story long, I just want to try to use my (wifi only) iPad 3 as a GPS navigation system with Navigon, is that not happening?

iPhone has a GPS chip that can be utilized even without cellular data, if I recall correctly.

iPad 3 only includes the GPS chip with the cellular function.

iPhone has a GPS chip that can be utilized even without cellular data, if I recall correctly.

iPad 3 only includes the GPS chip with the cellular function.

Only the 4G iPad has aGPS.

Cool, thanks, I am not as "paranoid" now as to think I have a faulty iPad.

i thought someone answered this but wi-fi only does not have gps so no it's not a good navigation tool

Yeah sorry I know they were answers above, but I am not sure I presented my case as clearly as I did the second time around: Clearest answer I got above was something along the lines of "My iPad does GPS just fine" granted I was being vague with what I wanted and expected from my non-4G iPad.

Guess can't have me a 9" GPS in the car, dang it!

Top Bottom